Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 4, 2022 11:51 AM

Jun 2021
I'm planning to watch this series, however I'm confused about the sequels. Firstly there are two of 'em named "Danganronpa 3",and also I've been getting mixed opinions about them. So please clarify whether it is necessary to watch them,or are they that bad a downgrade compared to S1. Also,is it important to know anything from the games before watching this?
Jun 4, 2022 12:04 PM
Jul 2018
I have only watched the first series haven’t watched any of its sequels yet but definitely plan on watching the sequels at some point.
Jun 4, 2022 12:09 PM
Dec 2020
they're terrible
Jun 4, 2022 12:16 PM

Sep 2020
I haven’t seen Season 3 but I recommend just to play the games. The anime misses some things and Danganronpa 2 isn’t an anime so you will need to play Danganronpa 2 to watch Danganronpa 3
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 4, 2022 12:39 PM
Oct 2016
The first Danganronpa anime covers the events of the first game. The second game never got an adaptation, and so all of the other anime made about the Danganronpa series take place either before or after the games. If you haven't played the first and second games, this makes you lose a lot of context, and therefore makes it less enjoyable and confusing.

Danganronpa 3 covers events that happen both before the first game and after the second game, it also adds a ton of context to the games.

The Despair Arc takes place right before the first game/anime, it fills in some plot holes that the first game/anime left open and overall was pretty enjoyable to me being able to see all of the characters interacting together while not being in a death game.

The Future Arc takes place in, well, the future, after the second game. You really will have no idea whatsoever what's going on in this one unless you played the second game.

The Hope Arc is an alternate ending for the Future Arc.

And just adding this one in here while we are talking about the anime -- Danganronpa 2.5 is an OVA special about Komaeda, it takes place after the second game and right before the Danganronpa 3 anime.
Jun 4, 2022 1:07 PM
Aug 2021
As someone who has played all the games and watched all of the animes, I'd recommend simply playing Danganronpa 1, 2, and v3. If you want to you can watch season 1, it is basically just a summary of the events in Danganronpa 1 with less character development. The others aren't really worth watching.
Jun 4, 2022 1:23 PM

Nov 2020
Just make sure to play Danganronpa 1 and 2. Danganronpa The Animation is a summary of Danganronpa 1.

Danganronpa Despair Arc does cover the Story BEFORE Danganronpa 1

Danganronpa Future Arc does cover the story AFTER Danganronpa 2

You can either complete one of these and start with the other one once you have finished. Or you can watch EP 1, EP 1, EP 2, EP 2, ...
Jun 4, 2022 1:35 PM

Aug 2020
3 works off of Danganronpa 2 the VN, the best one of the series. 3 the anime was made as an anime because they wanted to pull off a gimmick. Why they didnt do 2? Idk, what a missed opportunity.

You should get some context for Danganronpa 2 first. Otherwise you wont really care about the characters in Despair arc and the conclusion of the whole thing.
Keep scrolling
Jun 4, 2022 2:09 PM
Jan 2021
Pillsbury_Uchiha said:
they're terrible

I recommend just googling a watch order, the series is fantastic while the games were super boring to me. Nah, just google the watch order and you’ll be fine. It’s still in my top 10 out of all of these years
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Jun 4, 2022 2:55 PM
Dec 2020
official_brown said:
Pillsbury_Uchiha said:
they're terrible

I recommend just googling a watch order, the series is fantastic while the games were super boring to me. Nah, just google the watch order and you’ll be fine. It’s still in my top 10 out of all of these years

no i watched like 5 episodies of 3 and it was terrible
Jun 4, 2022 2:58 PM
Jan 2021
Pillsbury_Uchiha said:
official_brown said:

Well I watched all of it and it was great. That’s why I recommend OP to watch it.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Jun 4, 2022 3:00 PM
Dec 2020
official_brown said:
Pillsbury_Uchiha said:

Well I watched all of it and it was great. That’s why I recommend OP to watch it.
i just finished the best anime movie ive watched so no thanks
Jun 4, 2022 3:01 PM
Jan 2021
Pillsbury_Uchiha said:
official_brown said:

OP means the person who created the thread, so I wasn’t recommending the anime to you, I was talking about him.
Jun 4, 2022 3:03 PM
Dec 2020
official_brown said:
Pillsbury_Uchiha said:

OP means the person who created the thread, so I wasn’t recommending the anime to you, I was talking about him.
you did reply to me tho
Jun 4, 2022 6:23 PM

Jul 2015
Anime is widely considered as inferior to the games in every aspect. Just play the game.

Jun 5, 2022 1:34 AM
Feb 2022
hope so show is interesting
Jun 5, 2022 5:09 PM
Jun 2013
So the sequels for the actual first anime are in the next two games. V3 is weird, but it does take place after the danganronpa 3 anime. The two danganronpa 3 animes are the prequel to first game and the second danganronpa 3 is a sequel to the second game. Danganronpa 3: despair arc is actually not too bad. Don’t watch the other one, it’s pretty mid.

and if people know which episode I’m talking about, I got so depressed after watching that specific episode. It’s that one episode in the danganronpa 2 prequel.
Jun 5, 2022 5:12 PM
Jun 2013
Also if you don’t want to play the games, you can just follow a play through since the games are very linear. But I do recommend playing them. Although It’s hard to recommend playing the first game after you watched the anime since you already know all the culprits, blackeneds, and the mastermind. But the next two games, highly recommend.
Jun 6, 2022 9:03 PM
Jun 2020
Danganronpa 3 is very good if you want to know all the answers, *all of the answers*.
Watch order goes like so:
Future Arc 1
Despair Arc 1
Future Arc 2
Despair Arc 2
Etc.
Then before you watch episode hope, watch Danganronpa 2.5, the Nagito one.
Then continue onto Hope side.
Then you did it! *yippie!*
Then play DRV3, there is a plot reason why there are two Danganronpa 3’s, but I can’t say here because it’s a spoiler.
Jun 7, 2022 3:48 AM

Feb 2019
_cybersadist_ said:
I'm planning to watch this series, however I'm confused about the sequels. Firstly there are two of 'em named "Danganronpa 3",and also I've been getting mixed opinions about them. So please clarify whether it is necessary to watch them,or are they that bad a downgrade compared to S1. Also,is it important to know anything from the games before watching this?

Danganronpa 3 is split into two halves, but are essentially just one show with two parallel storylines. They need to be watched alternatingly, starting with the Future Arc. Upon reaching the final episode of the Despair Arc, you have an additional episode numbered 2.5, confusingly, and then the Hope Arc finale. There are also a few specials that aren't really relevant, they can all come after.

It is necessary to watch them, as they conclude the entire storyline of the first three Danganronpa games, as well as all the preceding Light Novels and Manga. The games absolutely need to all be played before watching the anime, the rest do not (although Danganronpa Zero and Kirigiri are worth recommending).

Note also that when I say first three games, I do not mean DR1 -> DR2 -> DRV3, but DR1 -> DR2 -> DR: Ultra Despair Girls. DRV3 is a complete departure from everything preceding it, so for now you can set it aside.
Well I for one already loved Lain.
Oct 11, 2022 6:54 PM
Dec 2017
play the original games thats my take on it.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 18, 2013

417 by BakaDorayaki »»
May 16, 2:05 PM

Poll: » Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 26, 2013

436 by amychar »»
May 7, 3:17 PM

Poll: » Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ihateeveryone - Jul 4, 2013

559 by aramkqly »»
Mar 16, 4:04 AM

» how should i watch Danganronpa ?

TheAdo - Dec 29, 2016

19 by InstantRamenKing »»
Feb 9, 10:20 PM

» whats up with Kyoko Kirigiri hands?

EagleEd - Jan 13, 2018

5 by kaamsas »»
Jan 13, 7:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.