Forum Settings
Forums

What series got you hooked on Seinen or Josei titles?

New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 6, 2010 9:01 AM

Aug 2010
Back in the late 80's/early 90's, the majority of anime that came out in the U.S. were OVA's, many of which were the more juvenile, plotless, blood and guts kinda stuff. Even though I watched a lot of those, along with a scattered number of random oddities, it wasn't until I saw stuff like Akira and Ghost in the Shell that I really started to develop a concentrated interest in anime, and it just kind of grew from there. Even though a lot of people consider them shonen, I'd also credit Ninja Scroll and Vampire Hunter D with developing my interest in seinen, too.

On the manga side, I started reading stuff like Blade of the Immortal, Battle Angel Alita, Ah! My Goddess, Gunsmith Cats, Legend of Mother Sarah, and Ghost in the Shell very early on, and that definitely had an impact on my preferences. For the most part, I've never been anything but a seinen fan :D
insektmuteAug 6, 2010 9:05 AM
Oct 1, 2010 8:17 AM

Dec 2008
Well, for me it was Akira, GITS, Lain, & Trigun, in that order. Hook, line, ...line, & sink! They all still remain favorites of mine.
Oct 17, 2010 6:27 AM

Jul 2009
Berserk for sure.
Oct 24, 2010 7:20 AM
Jan 2009
For me it was Bitter Trap, Even though it's thrown in as a one shot in a high school shoujo manga. I don't consider Bitter Trap shoujo and it certainly isn't about high school. I hadn't really realized there were series or stories out there that had more depth and didn't have wilty heroines.
Oct 31, 2010 1:04 AM
Sep 2008
Let me see...in regards to manga, I would say Blade of the Immortal, Berserk, Battle Angel Alita, and Nana. ^^; Those four got me into the deeper side of the manga world (the demographics for the older audiences).

As for anime: Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (1st and 2nd GIG), and Akira.
Nov 1, 2010 12:17 AM

Apr 2008
surprisingly what got me started onto the genre was actually xxxHolic anime (thou not part of the genre) as it was from the anime that i started the manga..

then MPD Psycho came along and i got hooked..
however getting MPD Psycho at my bookstores were just so tough and there was not much scanlation at that time that i had to drop the series

then there was this blank period before i found kino journey and aria...
Nov 14, 2010 3:25 AM

Nov 2010
Justicar said:
Then when I saw Gantz I knew I had found something that entertained me far more then the predictable immature animes i had seen before.

It was the same for me, Gantz (manga) filled the gap between seinen and and shounen nicely. Then after reading series like Berserk, Eden (its an endless world) and Monster, shounen anime/manga doesn't seem to satisfy anymore.
Apr 21, 2011 12:15 PM

Aug 2009
"Monster" really got me. It became my favorite anime series after I had finished watching it.

And after I had watched it I realized that I actually liked those more serious and realistic type of shows more than those other pointless ones filled with fanservice and other shit destroying them.
Aug 17, 2011 11:57 PM

Jul 2011
Definitely 'Uzumaki'. I had lost interest in manga years ago, and saw that on the shelf at the bookstore one day and bought it on a whim. It brought me back in the fold, and made me curious to see what I've been missing out on.
... and EAT IT !!
Oct 13, 2011 12:55 PM

Oct 2009
I've read, watched and enjoyed a lot of seinen titles before, but I didn't really think the "maturity" of them were given a genre (never bothered with genres before). Not before Homunculus, at least. It might just be that Homunculus is different in and of itself, and therefore I noticed something very peculiar about the series, with the atmosphere and all, and thought that this should at least have a genre. Well, I quickly discovered that there isn't a genre that defines... whatever I'm referring to in Homunculus, and that it's just a very outlandish type of manga. Regardless, it made me finally check out the genre. I'm always looking for something mature and engaging.
Dec 2, 2011 8:35 AM

May 2011
For me, it was Paradise Kiss.

Dec 29, 2011 7:25 AM

Jun 2009
hmmmmmmmmmmm, darker than black, probably....yes, i classify it as seinen....or maybe even hellsing ultimate

Jan 19, 2012 8:51 AM

Mar 2008
berserk
Feb 4, 2012 4:54 PM

Oct 2011
Darker Than Black introduced me to the seinen genre.

But I wasn't aware it was a separate genre until I looked it up (because of DtB) - I had already watched some previous seinen anime.

So, yeah, Darker than Black. It still remains as my favourite.
|ω・)
Mar 21, 2012 8:34 PM
Feb 2011
The Nana anime got me hooked on more mature and realistic stories. I think I finished the series in about 5 days... and then I immediately read the manga to see what happened next. Because of that series, I was introduced to other josei titles and it's now my favorite genre :)
Apr 6, 2012 2:14 PM

Dec 2007
I don't thiknk it's really a matter of what series got me hooked on Seinen and Josei, it was more like 'argh I can't take any more brainless shonen series!' and so I started to look for more mature series. So it's not that I got hooked on seinen/josei, it's more like I'm repulsed by brain-dead anime (and I really hope not to offend anyone by saying this).
Anyway, some of the first titles I watched and that I absolutely loved were Mononoke, Usagi Drop, Monster (the manga version, which is a llot better than the anime ^^y ), Kuragehime, Mushishi and Nodame Cantabile. They're all still at the top of my favorites list <3
Apr 14, 2012 7:22 AM
Mar 2012
Kimi Wa Petto - it's still one of my favourites. <3
I have to admit, then I tried to look around a bit and was really disappointed by lots of the josei that was available. I tried Honey & Clover, but thought it was stupid (I can't understand men who fall in love with disabled/handicapped child-women). Followed by some more josei which I thought were shit (bitchy women who have sex and want to get married). Then I discovered Suppli and Gokusen and re-gained some faith in the genre.
(Side-Note: I'm generally very critical and often disappointed by female anime/manga characters.)

I'm not sure about seinen, not sure if I ever read one.
Most of the ones suggested to me seemed to be rather violent. :/
Apr 14, 2012 7:49 AM

Jan 2009
Seinen - [can't remember at all] / Ichi the Killer
Josei - Nana & Orange Yane no Chiisana Ie

Manga Sorted By Theme                         Anime Sorted By Theme
May 5, 2012 6:05 AM

Aug 2011
Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom started my search of seinen anime

Active Military, Prior Service and Veteran's Anime Club
do not forget the sound of my voice until the day we reunite
May 13, 2012 3:31 PM
Feb 2011
ElenirLachlagos said:
Kimi Wa Petto - it's still one of my favourites. <3
I have to admit, then I tried to look around a bit and was really disappointed by lots of the josei that was available. I tried Honey & Clover, but thought it was stupid (I can't understand men who fall in love with disabled/handicapped child-women). Followed by some more josei which I thought were shit (bitchy women who have sex and want to get married). Then I discovered Suppli and Gokusen and re-gained some faith in the genre.
(Side-Note: I'm generally very critical and often disappointed by female anime/manga characters.)

I'm not sure about seinen, not sure if I ever read one.
Most of the ones suggested to me seemed to be rather violent. :/

Love Kimi wa Petto and Gokusen so much! I felt the same way about Honey & Clover... watched 2 episodes and I was really grossed out by it considering that she looked about six years old (and college guys were in love with her??) Sorry, I don't like loli's or anything remotely resembling pedophilia. I don't even see how it can be classified as josei to be honest.
Jun 15, 2012 9:21 PM

May 2008
20th Century Boys.
Jul 26, 2012 1:52 PM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
Solanin.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world." ⛩️

Aug 29, 2012 10:21 PM

Jun 2010
it was spice and wolf for me. main character in his 20's, very dialogue driven and plenty of character development. first series i liked so much that i went out and bought the book!
Sep 28, 2012 2:15 AM
Jul 2018
Parasyte is the first memorable seinen that I really enjoyed. Got me hooked, and then mangas like Eden and 20th Century Boys made me realize that it was so superior to any other genre
Dec 1, 2012 8:24 PM

Apr 2011
It was a combination of masamune's work, Appleseed and Ghost in the shell. :D then berserk and monster, psycho pass etc. i was very interesed in adult themed animes and love serious plot, even gory ones , i live detective and crime stories :P
Dec 9, 2012 1:55 PM

May 2008
insektmute said:
Back in the late 80's/early 90's, the majority of anime that came out in the U.S. were OVA's, many of which were the more juvenile, plotless, blood and guts kinda stuff. Even though I watched a lot of those, along with a scattered number of random oddities, it wasn't until I saw stuff like Akira and Ghost in the Shell that I really started to develop a concentrated interest in anime, and it just kind of grew from there. Even though a lot of people consider them shonen, I'd also credit Ninja Scroll and Vampire Hunter D with developing my interest in seinen, too.

For the most part, I've never been anything but a seinen fan :D

I have to agree with this in general..

When i started getting into Anime/Manga(i thought they were all called Manga at the start, since the only distributor we had in Australia was 'Manga Entertainment'), and most if not all of the titles offered were R rated.. or at least the ones that looked the most interesting! Of course most were OVA, because that's what they had at the video store(VHS). Remember those? hehe.

Like Golgo 13, Fist of the North Star, Ninja Scroll, Akira, Urotsukidōji(hehe), PatLabor etc.. but then came Ghost in the Shell, and that changed my view on 'anime/manga medium' forever.

Before that they were 'merely' awesome cartoons from Japan. After 'that', i knew that they were an actual legit artform to be taken seriously, and not just something that could hold it's own against the best live action movies out there, but it could actually transcend the mediums and even be the BEST medium out there for certain types of concepts.. or at least for SCI-FI/Fantasy, like just being EPIC and cool. It wasn't until Matrix came out that i thought a live action matched it. But that just goes to show how good Ghost in the Shell was.

As for series, there are too many. Check out my profile for more information on my history, and also my anime/manga list.

But I'd like to mention Cowboy Bebop as one of the first/best(even now it's still one of a kind and very watchable), and is also goes with Ghost in the shell as one of those that is PERFECT ART and i don't think it can be matched or outdone on any other medium. Live action will never match it. CGI will never match it. Even if they got the same music/score that Yoko Kanno did for the anime.

Berserk also deserves to be listed for manga. Along with stuff like Lone Wolf and Cub, and lots of other period or samurai stuff. The rest is as they say, 'history'.
Jan 1, 2013 11:54 PM

Dec 2012
Paradise Kiss was the first Josei manga I'd ever read and I loved it. After that I became interested in series like Kimi wa Petto, Hachimitsu to Kuroba, and Kuragehime. I also like a lot of Seinen series like Blame!, Hellsing, and Ghost in the Shell. I just wish they would release more series that fit into the Josei/Seinen categories, especially Josei. There really aren't that many titles compared to other genres.
Jan 5, 2013 1:07 PM
Feb 2011
Seven777greeN said:
I just wish they would release more series that fit into the Josei/Seinen categories, especially Josei. There really aren't that many titles compared to other genres.

I know, if you do a search on josei anime on MAL, it's only 2 pages long!!

What's so sad is that almost all of those are amazing shows and have been really popular. I'm hoping that with the success of the last few years, more josei manga will be turned into anime.
Jan 22, 2013 5:09 AM
Jan 2013
nerdsonfire1 said:
Seven777greeN said:
I just wish they would release more series that fit into the Josei/Seinen categories, especially Josei. There really aren't that many titles compared to other genres.

What's so sad is that almost all of those are amazing shows and have been really popular. I'm hoping that with the success of the last few years, more josei manga will be turned into anime.

Oh my god, ditto. I think that people are afraid to make the non-cliche animes though, because there is a risk that they might not sell as well...and as far as I know, the anime industry in Japan is actually declining (weird as that may seem) while there is still a great demand for it over here.

Also, a lot of people over here still have the impression that anime is for kids...so what's going to sell? The kid's stuff. Companies have to make profits. It's sad but it's the truth of the situation.
Feb 15, 2013 6:29 PM

Jan 2011
For seinen it was probably Berserk. It wasn't my first seinen manga but I fell in love with it while reading it and it cemented my manga geek status.

I haven't read a lot of josei though but I do have few on my to-read list that I've heard good things about like Nana and 7Seeds.
May 30, 2013 10:28 AM

Nov 2012
Mugen no Juunin and The Ravages Of Time. These are two manga that showed me that there are more mature and interesting manga out there, other than those boring shounens I used to read.
....of all the arts, for us the cinema is the most important.

-- Vladimir Lenin
Jan 26, 2014 8:26 PM
Jan 2014
hifumipls said:
nerdsonfire1 said:
Seven777greeN said:

Oh my god, ditto. I think that people are afraid to make the non-cliche animes though, because there is a risk that they might not sell as well...and as far as I know, the anime industry in Japan is actually declining (weird as that may seem) while there is still a great demand for it over here.

Also, a lot of people over here still have the impression that anime is for kids...so what's going to sell? The kid's stuff. Companies have to make profits. It's sad but it's the truth of the situation.

What's even more sad is that most people who watch anime would enjoy the more mature stories and concepts.

What got me interested in josei and seinen is shoujo when i started getting fed up with the unrealistic plot elements and the dates and battle that often take up more time and effort than the character development.

My first josei title that I watched was the Miyazaki movie "Whisper of the Heart" and after a long chain of movies I found kuragehime and paradise kiss.
Feb 2, 2014 3:32 PM

Jan 2014
I'm first initial interest in seinen (anime to be more precise) sprung after watching Rurouni Kenshin: Trust & Betrayal after which I looked into the more popular seinen titles.

With josei, well i can't remember when I was introduced. I guess it was Bunny Drop. I haven't really checked out that many josei titles.
Jun 16, 2014 9:00 PM

Apr 2011
I think I've read loads of seinen and josei before this, but it was after I read Emma did I really become fascinated in the world of seinen and josei. Also, Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan helps, too. :)
Jul 1, 2014 2:53 AM

Feb 2013
Probably for me the best Seinen I've watched until now, and I'm still watching, is Uchuu Kyoudai.
I really got hooked to it from the very start, and now that I'm at chapter 95 I can say that It'll be hard for me all alone to find something better.

About josei, I'm just starting, there's nothing I can say as long as the people I know are addicted to Ecchi, Action, Shounen stuff...
Oct 23, 2014 8:13 PM

Mar 2014
The best Josei I have watched would be Kids on the Slope, and Nodame Cantabile.
Nov 6, 2014 8:46 AM

Mar 2014
Started my love for manga with shoujo-romance. By the time I was done with a dozen of them or so, I could almost tell the story of the next shoujo manga i was about to read. Too cliched. Same old bishonens, school-romance, doki-doki, etc etc.
Then came Oyasumi Punpun. It totally changed my view of the anime-manga world. It was so undeniably close to reality, it took me aback, and I needed to reconcile with that fact for some time. Even now, I feel I don't have the maturity to fully appreciate the depth of Oyasumi, so it is currently at hold, while in the meantime, I have gotten to read many amazing seinen titles and unearth the real gems among mangaka.
Akashkun_otakuNov 6, 2014 8:50 AM
Nov 9, 2014 9:13 PM

Aug 2014
The first seinen I watched was cowboy bebop but, what really hooked me on seinens was Monster.
Nov 12, 2014 1:28 PM

Oct 2013
gantz i guess, but i'm not very sure, i was first into horror and then i really liked super dark themes without the horror stuff. but there were other title's like vagabond, zetman and akuemtsu which fixed me even more.

Nov 17, 2014 11:34 AM
Oct 2014
Well that would be my favourite anime of all time Fate/Zero, it just had something refreshing to it not to have high school characters as the protagonists...
Nov 21, 2014 11:02 AM
Jun 2013
GITS. Without a doubt. Later on Monster and Neon genesis cemented this further.
Dec 24, 2014 10:09 AM

Aug 2013
My first
-Josei anime was NANA
-Josei manga was Shuukatsu! Kimi ni Naitei

My first
-Seinen anime was Basilisk
-Seinen manga was Vagabond

After these series, Seinen & Josei became my favourite genres :)
Dec 27, 2014 2:07 PM
Nov 2014
I guess stuff like: Steins;Gate, Musishi, NHK ni youkuso!
Jan 8, 2015 2:49 PM

Nov 2014
Btooom! probably.
Jan 8, 2015 2:50 PM

Jul 2012
Chihayafuru was one of my first Josei but Nodame got me hooked on the demographic

For Seinen, it's Space Brothers.
Feb 1, 2015 9:00 PM

Oct 2013
I believe what got me hooked would be Piano no Mori. Wonderful story of two piano prodigies growing up and entering into the world of competitive competitions and world class challenges. One is a poor boy of which piano comes to him naturally, the other is a rich boy with the blood of a legendary pianist.
Apr 21, 2015 1:15 AM
Nov 2014
Well this post might be old but I'll reply anyway. Probably my first seinen manga, if it's considered to be seinen, will be Death Note. I read some seinen mangas before but I wasn't that hooked by it. It was only when I read Genshiken that I got really hooked and started seaching for some good ones. For josei, I can't remember since back then I alternated from shoujo to josei, most of the josei genre I read were oneshots anyway. When I got hooked with seinen I alternatively searched for josei mangas aswell.
Jun 4, 2015 12:04 PM

May 2014
Akira was my first experience with more mature manga (my dad recommended it to me), the first seinen anime to actually get me interested in the genre was Paranoia Agent.
Sep 6, 2015 1:05 AM
Jun 2013
Mine was a manga: Berserk. Nuff said.
Dec 11, 2015 3:29 PM
Jan 2013
I got interested in Josei after Paradise Kiss. Then I read Nana that I found when I searching for more Josei. Since then, I have read multiple Josei and I have been in love with the genre
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Seinen &amp; Josei reviews

Maegil - Apr 6, 2014

1 by ElenirLachlagos »»
Aug 21, 2014 1:28 PM

Sticky: » The boot

Yuunagi - Feb 17, 2009

32 by Maegil »»
Apr 5, 2014 4:35 AM

» Current seinen and josei

orion_black - Jun 6, 2013

3 by Baharuka »»
Jul 24, 2013 11:43 AM

» Favorites

Kvothe-sama - Aug 23, 2007

47 by OutlawImmortal »»
May 27, 2013 6:45 AM

Sticky: » Anime and Manga Relations ( 1 2 3 )

Yuunagi - Aug 26, 2007

123 by Antalk »»
Aug 15, 2012 5:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.