Forum Settings
Forums

What series got you hooked on Seinen or Josei titles?

New
Apr 10, 2008 10:20 AM
Nov 2007
I really got started with Pulp from Viz Media and the Benkei in New York series in Pulp. How about you?
YuunagiApr 14, 2008 9:37 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 10, 2008 12:02 PM

Mar 2007
Hmm, not a single series, really, more like an author. I discovered Miwa Sakai, and really like her. A lot of her stuff happens to be josei though she does have some shoujo stuff too. Actually, it can be rather annoying, as her series keep getting reprinted over and over under different labels and have even been rerun in different magazines, so some of them are sort of shoujo AND josei :)
Apr 10, 2008 12:51 PM

Nov 2007
Probably Eden: It's an Endless World! and Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou.
Apr 12, 2008 1:19 PM

Jul 2007
In my case though, it was actually a scanslation group (the now apparently defunct Project Omanga). It was more like a baptism of black ink rather than fire since most of the titles there were pretty damn dark (Alive, Blame!, MPD Psycho, Leviathan, Skyhigh).
Apr 16, 2008 6:22 PM

Feb 2008
I'll have to say Battle Royale although it may be violent there were some generally realistic reactions in there. What kept me on Seisen is Ah! My Goddess and Monster.
Apr 17, 2008 8:37 AM

Nov 2007
I don't really remember, but it might just be Kenshin OAV Tsuiokuhen.

[url][/url]
Apr 17, 2008 11:49 AM
Mar 2008
I think "Honey and Clover" was the first josei anime I've seen. And because it was also the second anime I've seen in my life, I automatically fell in love in jesei and seinen stuff and avoided madness about "School Rumble", "Green Green" and so on... I can say that j&s saved my good taste ^^.
And about manga - first was "Eden: it's an Endless World", although I didn't know the genre when I was reading it, I was just impressed about the story. And "Paradise Kiss". Because of this title I learned the meaning of josei.
Apr 22, 2008 1:29 AM

Mar 2008
My case it was a several series of "slice of life" manga. Maison Ikkoku, Living Game, & Hotman.

After that, I went out of my way to dig up obscure slice of life series, just to see how other people live, and how they react to adversity.
May 27, 2008 7:39 PM

Jan 2008
Honey and Clover was the first anime I've really enjoyed that is intended for older audiences. It was not a gateway or anything of the sort, I was never closed off to the genre. I just hadn't watched any of it yet.

The earliest seinen manga I read through were Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou and D-ASH. Two very different titles, which are basically impossible to compare. D-ASH was probably the first kinda disturbing manga I have read, and Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou was the first one that didn't thrust anything at me. I never once felt that I "needed" to finish it, the ending just came. In the beginning, the rave reviews made me extremely critical, but as the art style became softer, so did my opinions. I enjoyed it very leisurely.

No specific series has changed my taste or has lead to a revelation of some sort, it is just the passage of time that has moved my distinctions between what I enjoy and what I avoid.

Powered by hinatachan - TaigaForum
May 28, 2008 9:52 AM

Feb 2008
It was on a cold winter night in january 2001. *sigh*
To my shame I have to admit that I was browsing the internet for "adult cartoon content" (...at that time the terms "hentai" and "ecchi" were unknown to me) when I accidently found pictures of the show "cowboy bebop". They were so intense, that I had to watch it. The rest is history..... ^^
May 28, 2008 4:59 PM

Jan 2008
Actually, prior to Honey and Clover, I did watch Cowboy Bebop and Trigun, which are apparently considered seinen by this club. I suppose I should rephrase it to Honey and Clover was the first non-violent anime I've ever really enjoyed that is intended for older audiences.

Powered by hinatachan - TaigaForum
May 29, 2008 2:20 PM

Feb 2008
@Wind-UpBird:
Interesting....the second anime I enjoyed right after Cowboy Bebob was Trigun as well. And it deepened my addiction for anime. Unfortunately after that only very few shows could move me deeply like they did at that time. ;)
Jul 12, 2008 9:05 AM

Mar 2008
Kino no tabi - i love it's furtive psychological idea .
kino's intrepidity and logical analysis enahances my liking for it even more
Jul 22, 2008 2:45 PM

Jul 2008
I remember just absentmindedly watching some anime without knowing what the style titles meant;

Cowboy Bebop, Trigun (the first anime I ever saw), Shingetsutan Tsukihime, Hellsing.

then upon looking into a bit, I noticed that most of the anime I particularly enjoyed were considered seinen, so I started looking exclusively for "seinen" anime and found my new love - Darker than Black.
Jul 23, 2008 3:33 PM

Jul 2008
As for me I started where many start, with the big shonens (Naruto, Bleach etc..) Then when I saw Gantz I knew I had found something that entertained me far more then the predictable immature animes i had seen before. After that I started to look for more and more mature mangas/animes and came across the term seinen.

Though I still enjoy some shonen, nothing can beat a really good seinen. One of my favourites is still the Gantz manga, but i also really enjoy the slice of life genre (Genshiken and Living Game come to mind)

Aug 5, 2008 8:57 AM
Dec 2007
Monster =)
Aug 8, 2008 10:16 AM
Jul 2008
Anime - Rurouni Kenshin Tsuiokuhen OVA
Manga - 20th Century Boys

Mainly those but a lot of others.
Aug 8, 2008 11:07 AM

Jul 2008
Well, if we're going to allow for anime titles, I'd have to say Cowboy Bebop. Before that I thought anime was only good for Sailor Moon and Pokemon. Seriously.

I really can't pick a manga title since by then I had already developed a great preference for seinen/josei titles anyway - in fact I had begun to write seinen fanfiction long before actually reading any manga (long story, maybe I'll post a link here one of these days :p)
Aug 15, 2008 9:06 AM

Apr 2008
It was my natural inclination to seek out seinen when I first got into anime a few months back. No one title really got me into it (although Elfen Lied was the first one I saw), but rather it was what I wanted to watch in the first place- before then I thought all anime was stupid kiddy nonsense like Pokémon. But then a few titles caught my eye (e.g. Elfen Lied, Cowboy Bebop and Trigun), I decided to give them a chance, and learned it's not all bad.
Sep 13, 2008 7:50 AM
Jul 2018
After getting bored of the same old action based or harem series, starting watching a lot "slice of life" based anime and it immediately became the genre for me. Happens that most slice of life are in the josei or seinen demographic, and its with reason too as it tends to be more realistic (or less unrealistic) and deals a lot with people and relationships.

Honey and Clover as other people mentioned was a immediate hooker. Then came the somewhat serious Welcome to the NHK. Then came in the more serious high school romances like ef and true tears that did not dwell in fanserviceland.

Now im into animated movies. Miyazaki and Shinkai GOGO!
removed-userSep 13, 2008 7:54 AM
Oct 1, 2008 4:11 PM

Jun 2008
I would have to say that Cowboy Bepop, Trigun, and Kino no Tabi were my first main introductions into anime that made you think more than the average I had seen before(Sailor Moon, Pokémon, and the likes) and before then I had been reading Jiraishin(Known as Ice Blade in the US). As I got older, I discovered josei series, especially due to the recent publications of licensed josei manga States side. Being an older female, I can relate better to the females in these types of stories where women have already gone through the fluttering love of high school/jr. high when kissing and holding hands could still make us blush; instead they are going into the more realistic aspect of love life.
Oct 3, 2008 12:37 AM

Feb 2008
This is going to sound really stupid but frankly, I had no idea the anime I was watching was being categorized like this. I just watch the type of shows that got captured in this category simply because I found them appealing. Oh well... Carry on.
Nov 5, 2008 11:44 AM

Aug 2008
Hmm Aria, Chobits (my two true loves) and probably Aa! Megami-sama. As for anime... Aria, Ookami to Koshinryo, Shinkai Makoto's works (especially 5 cm... and The Place...), Mushishi and Kino no Tabi. Yup those are probably the most important but not all ;]
Ii tenki desu ne...
Nov 7, 2008 1:45 AM

Oct 2008
None, I just got tired of Shonen after seeing the same old, same old for the umpteenth time.
Dec 7, 2008 8:56 AM

Mar 2008
I think the first josei title I had read was Doll by Mitsukazu Mihara. I remember buying it because I wanted something more cerebral to read, and these sorts of titles were still a bit thin in the market at the time. Then again, maybe the first more mature manga I read was Maison Ikkoku, but I never finished reading it because I had come to learn that I really wasn't a fan of Rumiko Takahashi's stuff.

First seinen or josei anime I've seen: probably Cowboy Bebop. I've never seen all of it, but I'd like to.
Dec 7, 2008 10:31 AM
Jul 2018
I must admit that I can't quite remember, but I think that the title that made me realise that I generally prefer seinen was Lone Wolf and Club. But then again, it could have been something completely different.
Feb 2, 2009 2:00 AM

Feb 2008
kimi wa petto I adore the manga and movie!
Feb 11, 2009 2:38 AM

Nov 2008
Monster. Before that, I didn't watch anime at all. Monster showed me that there's more than shonen action soap operas.
I admit I haven't finished watching it, but later I read manga and it was simply epic.
Feb 17, 2009 10:23 AM

Feb 2009
Monster and then 20th Century boys

Aug 6, 2009 10:00 AM

Jul 2009
d-yaro said:
This is going to sound really stupid but frankly, I had no idea the anime I was watching was being categorized like this. I just watch the type of shows that got captured in this category simply because I found them appealing. Oh well... Carry on.

Same here, haha. I didn't even hear of the terms josei and seinen until a few years ago, and I've been a big fan of anime since around fifth grade (now nineteen). Before then, I thought all of it was just classified as either shounen and shoujo.

Honey & Clover was the first josei series I watched with the knowledge that it was josei. Not sure what my first seinen anime was... maybe Cowboy Bebop.
Sep 22, 2009 8:07 AM

Sep 2009
My first brush with this genre is Trigun and Cowboy Bebop. I didn't really get hooked until Ergo Proxy, Nana, and Darker Than Black.
Nov 7, 2009 9:25 AM

Oct 2009
Nodame Cantabile got me hooked.
Jan 9, 2010 2:34 AM
May 2008
acejem said:

Now im into animated movies. Miyazaki and Shinkai GOGO!

No offense, but Miyazaki has NOTHING do with seinen or josei. His films are all children stories. You can like them all you want, but they are not aimed at adults, or even older audiences. One could argue most anime is aimed at an older audience then his films. That's not to say that they are "bad" (that would be an opinion), or that you shouldn't watch films for children (that would be stupid/rude), but I am letting you know it's not seinen or anything.
Jan 17, 2010 7:00 PM
Jan 2010
I would have to say it was Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, it's actually what got me really into watching anime in the first place. It was quickly followed by Honey and Clover, which I really enjoyed.
Jan 18, 2010 5:39 PM
Sep 2008
I've watched/read a little of both josei and seinen (e.g. Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, Cowboy Bebop) before, but I didn't really recognize them as genres to delve into until recently. I guess that's because they didn't appeal to me any more than good works of other genres. However, NANA and Oyasumi Punpun have me looking for more. :)
Jan 27, 2010 8:46 PM

Jun 2009
Pale Cocoon was the first one that had me really addicted
I won't be fooled by a mere 3-d girl!!!

Jan 28, 2010 1:36 PM

Sep 2007
Prede said:

No offense, but Miyazaki has NOTHING do with seinen or josei. His films are all children stories. You can like them all you want, but they are not aimed at adults, or even older audiences. One could argue most anime is aimed at an older audience then his films. That's not to say that they are "bad" (that would be an opinion), or that you shouldn't watch films for children (that would be stupid/rude), but I am letting you know it's not seinen or anything.

I agree with what you say, but for some of us, me included, we label seinen and josei based on themes and not intended audience. Miyazaki's films are some of the most loaded animated movies. You can watch them many times and pick up new things here and there. Again, his movies are often marketed toward children, but I think that a lot of his movies are more universal and can be enjoyed by both adults and children due to the way the content is presented. Western equivalent would be The Last Unicorn or the Narnia books.

Back on topic, my first seinen was actually Miyazaki's manga, Nausicaa (which is demographically and thematically seinen). When I first read it back in grade 9, I missed a lot of stuff that I picked up when reading it later. And I only really appreciated it once I read it a couple of times and picked up on the connections he wanted to draw between the different themes in his manga.

First josei would probably be Deep Love Ayu. It made me reconsider the romance genre in general. I used to think all romances were unrealistic, but then I got introduced to josei romance through Deep Love Ayu and I was converted. XD Also the first manga to make me cry. (PS- if people are considering NANA josei then it was actually my first josei manga, but I've only read a bit of it at the time, so I still consider Ayu my first true josei manga).
Jan 28, 2010 6:18 PM

Jun 2009
ohhh Nausicaa is without a doubt in my mind still to date my favorite Miyazaki. The characters and story were both simply stellar
I won't be fooled by a mere 3-d girl!!!

Feb 8, 2010 5:38 AM

Oct 2008
I think it was Monster for Seinen, and Kimi wa Petto for Josei, though I'm not 100% sure. I read them eons ago.
Feb 25, 2010 9:02 PM

Jun 2009
I would say that most Miyazaki anime are made for a young audience, but don't forget Miyazaki's contribution to Monkey Punch's Lupin III franchise.

Some of the first anime I watched were Golgo 13, Vampire Hunter D, and Fist of the Northstar. However, I didn't get really hooked on anime until I started watching Cowboy Bebop. So when I began reading manga I was naturally drawn to the seinen. Some of the series that really made an impression on me, and helped reinforce my love of all things seinen, were Trigun and Elfen Lied. Both of those manga are considerably superior to their anime counterparts.
Mar 2, 2010 4:43 AM

Mar 2009
well elfen lied was my first but the manga version of berserk got me hooked
Mar 25, 2010 2:03 PM

Apr 2009
I believe my first josei was Honey and clover, and I wanted more series like that, so I got into josei. I havent seen that many seinen, but I really dislike stereotypical anime at the moment, so Im looking for something a bit more mature and intellectual.
Apr 14, 2010 11:41 PM
Apr 2010
I'd have to say my first real Seinen experience was probably with 20th Century Boy. The realism in the artwork and the controversy was compelling and kept me reading it was exactly what I needed that alot of the regular Shonen manga couldn't give me. That's where I first discovered Naoki Urasawa and all his works. They were just so much more entertaining and didn't focus on the "fiction" that most manga tend to have to fall back on to still be entertaining.
Jun 16, 2010 12:51 PM

Oct 2009
MichaelMCP said:
I'll have to say Battle Royale although it may be violent there were some generally realistic reactions in there.

this!
Jun 18, 2010 5:42 PM

Jun 2010
Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan was the first one I read and then Momonchi. I think both of them got me hooked.
Jun 29, 2010 3:34 PM

Dec 2009
Can't remember,
probably the MPD Psycho (still going on...) or Blue Heaven
psychology and darkness was a good alternative to the shounen works
Jul 20, 2010 11:52 PM

Aug 2008
At the time, I didn't really pay attention to genres, but I could tell I was getting tired of shonen and had given up on shojo altogether. Parasyte, 20th Century Boys and Planetes are some titles that really got me hooked. I later realized that most of the real jems were really seinen and josei. For me, Solanin and Watashitachi no Shiawase na Jikan are titles that have confirmed that idea.
Jul 22, 2010 2:35 PM

Nov 2008
I went pretty much straight into seinen without watching any shounen or shoujo apart from what I saw when I was younger. I started on ecchi (a genre with a lot of shounen and less intellectual "seinen") like Re: Cutie Honey, which I liked, but I got bored with those type of anime quickly.

I think my first completed seinen was either Haruhi Suzumiya (which I watched because I liked the concept) and Evangelion (because everybody was saying how good it was), but it was a combination of Azumanga Daioh (know to me at the time as that one anime from AMV hell 3 that I REALLY wanted to watch) and Serial Experiments Lain (those two also shows the massive contrast between seinen titles, incidentally) that got me hooked. I saw Azumanga first, but by the time I finished Lain, I was truely hooked. I streamed both of those at the time, by the way.

My first downloaded anime were Kaiba and Dennou Coil (which I may have actually saw before Lain, but my memory is a bit hazy), so I was already well into seinen anime by that time. I wasn't paying much attention to what demographic they were aimed towards at that time, but I liked them more than stuff like Haruhi Suzumiya (also seinen, but whatever...) and stuff like that.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Jul 31, 2010 5:01 PM
Nov 2009
Back in high school when I was the typical fangirl wannabe, I watched almost anything and had never heard of josei or seinen. Only in the last year upon getting back into anime watching did I discover them and realized that this was what I had been craving during my jaded college years when I stopped watching. Monster was the show that first introduced me to the seinen concept and Nana was my first josei experience (although I still haven't really dug into that one yet, it was just the first one I looked into).

Still, it turns out I was into those genres even back before I knew what they were, as Maison Ikkoku and Chobits were favorite mangas of mine and Trigun was the one show I was still in love with during college.
Aug 1, 2010 3:12 PM

Jul 2009
Hmmm one of the very first anime titles I watched was Neon Genesis Evangelion. I was probably too young to understand it well but it captivated me. Then I started reading manga and comparing the differences. I discovered that seinen series were much better, especially once I started reading series such as Gantz.
"A detoxified Akihabara would just be another electronic town!"

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Seinen & Josei reviews

Maegil - Apr 6, 2014

1 by ElenirLachlagos »»
Aug 21, 2014 1:28 PM

Sticky: » The boot

Yuunagi - Feb 17, 2009

32 by Maegil »»
Apr 5, 2014 4:35 AM

» Current seinen and josei

orion_black - Jun 6, 2013

3 by Baharuka »»
Jul 24, 2013 11:43 AM

» Favorites

Kvothe-sama - Aug 23, 2007

47 by OutlawImmortal »»
May 27, 2013 6:45 AM

Sticky: » Anime and Manga Relations ( 1 2 3 )

Yuunagi - Aug 26, 2007

123 by Antalk »»
Aug 15, 2012 5:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.