Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 11, 2022 7:59 AM

Nov 2011
I see competition this episode, with the athletic competition. Not going to lie, a little bit of competition is great for everyone.

Also interesting to see Ichika's mother making an appearance.
May 11, 2022 8:56 AM

Apr 2016
Half of the store staff is a bunch of old crusty people, i dont think its the best idea to compete in a sport oriented tournament ... but they did great, had fun, so good for them, good for Itsuka the most.

Now that we already know that the father is shit, thank God for Itsuka's mom being normal, tho i would like to see her being more involved in the life of her daughter still.
May 11, 2022 8:56 AM

Apr 2010
Ichika's mother was pretty realistic, tho the story of her marriage is a bit sad.
I hope that Ichika and her mother can become a bit closer a child needs a mother and her mother is clearly willing to fix their relationship.

The sport festival part was nice seeing everyone working hard for Ichika.
May 11, 2022 9:19 AM

May 2021
Great episode! Nagomu cheering on Itsuka at the race with his sign was nice to see xD.
They both got an award for best parent and child after the race lol. And Itsuka's mother came to visit and hired a detective agency to find Itsuka...
She wants to take Itsuka back with her...
I don't particularly like Itsuka's mother's attitude honestly. She acts as if Ryokushou haven't been taking care of Itsuka when they have been doing a much better job than her!
Itsuka finally met her mother again and she ordered tsukimi dango.
It seems Itsuka's mother understands that Itsuka is happy where she is however and lets her stay.

Looking forward to the next episode!
Rem4lifexDMay 11, 2022 9:24 AM
AISHITERU...REM!
May 11, 2022 9:40 AM

Jan 2021
It was nice to see everyone having fun during the sports festival. Seeing Nagomu supporting Itsuka was wholesome.

I'm glad Itsuka's mother was normal and understandable. But I would like to see her be more involved or closer with Itsuka.
May 11, 2022 9:43 AM

Apr 2014
Itsuka is really strong, Ryokushou is really her home. Maybe her mom will move to Kyoto as well. lol
The maternal bond is something that cannot be broken.
何それ?意味分かんない
May 11, 2022 9:46 AM

Mar 2012
Based on what was shown this episode looks like Itsuka's mother prioritized her work over Itsuka and then easily left for another country leaving her behind. She sure has some guts to come back after quite literally abandoning her.
May 11, 2022 10:11 AM

Sep 2020
It's sweet that the mc cheered for her in the race, also them considering Itsuka as a family member is very heartwarming!
May 11, 2022 10:17 AM

Jun 2021
Sweet episode. Festival segment is lots of fun and we have some nice father-daughter moments with Nagumo and Itsuka, and second part with Itsuka's mom I thought was good too, with us now learning a bit more about Itsuka's parents and how her mom agreed to let Itsuka stay in Ryokusho and didn't start to throw shit at her foster parents. Itsuka is having fun where she's at now, with people who love and care for her, and that's just very sweet.
May 11, 2022 10:31 AM

Jul 2017
Nice to see that the OP's visuals change to fit the episode's theme, which is autumn/fall.

The Miyama School District Sports Festival opens up more of Itsuka's past with her parents, and unsurprisingly Ryokushou will be closed to support Nagomu in his Kaminoyama district's sport stint...and it has to be the parent-child segment that surfaces between the two that can be quite awkward when other people reference them both as of the adult-child relationship. The seniors of Ryokushou fare no better given their willingness to participate but their bodies giving way, and Nagomu taking the reins to be Itsuka's parent character paid off.

Now, for the serious stuff: Itsuka's mom Shinri showing herself at Ryokushou's doorsteps, so all effort is specially paid to keep both biological parent and child separate for as long as they can. Itsuka's father may be a piece of scum for abandoning Itsuka at Ryokushou, but Shinri has some blame on her own as well: putting work first over Itsuka and living with her parents overseas. So Itsuka in her growing-up years, really NEVER had some parental involvement for both parents to spend quality time with her, the mom leaving Itsuka and her father behind first, then her dad to follow.

But Shinri seems earnest to pick her up after realizing her mistake, and their bonding session over at Ryokshou eating wagashi sweets help ease her heart somewhat with Ryokushou treating her like family.

Oh well, all's well that ends well for Nagomu being more of the "replacement" parent character in Itsuka's life.
May 11, 2022 1:10 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Wow, even with a big drama-inducing event, there is next to no drama. The mother comes back to take Itsuka in hopes of giving her a better life, sees that she is already happy and content with good people around her, and takes her leave. There's only room for warm fuzzy feelings in this anime.

Also I don't know what the official term for this is, but this here is my favourite anime expression of all time

NYANPASU
5700XT

May 11, 2022 1:19 PM

Mar 2018
Glad to see Itsuka's mother wasn't such a bad person, but the circumstances led their family astray.
May 11, 2022 1:49 PM

Feb 2019
Well this episode went a hell of a lot better than I thought it would from last week’s previews lol. Was expecting to have something like higehiro. But luckily itsuka’s mom respects her daughter’s choices. Very healthy parenting. Looking forward to the inevitable day when Itsuka dad/Nagumo senpai returns.
May 11, 2022 1:57 PM

Oct 2016
I wish the whole show was more mostly serious like it was in this episode.
May 11, 2022 2:27 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Itsuka's mom appears after the entire staff at Ryokushou participated in the sports festival. At first her mom wanted to take her back, but realized that she has grown during her time at Ryokushou. Hopefully her mom would start visiting Itsuka more often.

Next episode will focus on Nagomu's backstory.
May 11, 2022 3:24 PM

Jul 2014
I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one dreading something like Higehiro happening here, but this situation was handled far better than that. Granted, I find it hard to believe her mother would be so up-front about hiring private investigators to investigate them, but that aside it worked well enough. Still, she could have come sooner and not left Itsuka on her own this whole time, right? It seems a bit odd for her to just waltz in now and want to take Itsuka with her, especially when she admits that she could have done so at any time. By all accounts, I should feel far more negatively about this than I do (cos it's still not great parenting at all), but because I was expecting something much worse it didn't bother me all that much. Starting strong with Itsuka's sports festival certainly helped, as well.

Also, I know it's a minor thing, but what the hell is going on with Crunchyroll's subtitling this season? Why leave "obachan" and "otousan" untranslated when there are easy direct translations that are commonly used in anime? Hell, using the translated words would actively be quicker and easier in both cases, so I just don't get it.
May 11, 2022 4:17 PM

Sep 2018
A selfless single Mother coming to a decision to let her daughter stay within a day? What's next on the twilight zone?

This show hasn't exactly met expectations IMO, the childish Male MC just doesn't seem to mash well with such a series... But it's still alright so far, some nice wholesome moments.
May 11, 2022 5:56 PM

May 2021
Some more light shed on Itsuka's parents' history. A case of separation, it seems. I like how her mother is understanding enough to let her daughter stay.

May 11, 2022 6:11 PM

Nov 2011
Thought the mom was going to be a bitch but her actions were justified. My heart was heavy the second half of this episode.

Good episode.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

May 11, 2022 6:39 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Love to see a sports festival bit in this show, Nagomu and the family cheering Itsuka on was really sweet, it’s a shame Nagomu’s dad hurt his back again because I honestly woulda liked to see him and Nagomu tackle that race together lol, but of course Itsuka is the next best option.

And the 2nd half was definitely a bit intense when Itsuka’s mom, Shinri, returns to bring Itsuka back with her, tho some of the reactions from Nagomu and his dad were funny, and I love that she even makes similar expressions like Itsuka lol. Thankfully it ended well tho, with her realizing Itsuka has a family she belongs to now and that she shouldn’t take her away, I do feel a bit bad for Shinri too but at least Nagomu got her number (hell yeah lol) so she can stay connected.

And after reading this thread and confirming those Fall visuals in the OP were new, heck yes I definitely love that, Fall representation ftw!
May 11, 2022 7:21 PM

Apr 2016
"The one going with you isn't Itsuka, it's Work, right? Bye-bye!"

Little Itsuka was quite savage there. XD
footmasterMay 11, 2022 7:24 PM
May 11, 2022 9:16 PM

Jan 2017
A good episode, but it felt a bit underwhelming to how it turned out, the problem was resolved rather too fast. It feels like it's lacking something.
May 11, 2022 9:25 PM

Aug 2021
Following a little bit, that little plot of the dragon is releasing more and more and it will be discovered, already the girls were able to get a home for all those people and for the girl who did sing horribly, but then it was fixed, let's see what's next.
May 11, 2022 9:40 PM
Oct 2019
Such a wholesome anime, just a bunch of people living happy lives and making sure a little girl has the best childhood she can.
May 12, 2022 12:23 AM
May 2020
ichikas father is confirmed to be a pagan
May 12, 2022 4:17 AM

Dec 2020
girl met up with her mom (who she hasn't even been in contact with for YEARS) and just started talking abt deserts loool

nice to see that itsuka's mom is a good person. good enough not to force her young child to do shit her way. even though she had that in mind, but after seeing what itsuka really felt and wanted, she let it go. it'd be nice if she can get more closer to itsuka
May 12, 2022 5:18 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Yeah cheers for Itsuka having a fun day with all Ryokushou member during the district sport festival. Its also nice seeing Nagomu got some changes when its comes to make Itsuka happy. While as always Itsuka still used that face against Nagomu. Poor him still not been able to see how precious Itsuka after winning the award.

The later part with Itsuka mother quite intense. Finally she's revealing how the family ended up separate, broken up because of those two really got something to do in a separate way, for their own selfishness, without having a very important part for the good relationship, communication, within them. Lesson taken i guess. Hopefully...

Though by how Itsuka savage her mother when she's still so little like that kinda weird shit funny moment. Damn, Itsuka xd, but then again saying such a pure mature thing and then making a decision to still stay at Ryokushou while meeting with her again after a long time. Its such a very well conclusion. After all Itsuka just needed to see her father, not much with her mother....

As sad as its sounds for Itsuka mother, that's still a proper conclusion for both of them. No need to forcing your way, but also been able to clear things up. And don't forget about what Nagomu doing, really take such a huge step by exchanging contact with her in order to make them stay in touch. Awesome...
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
May 12, 2022 7:26 AM
Apr 2022
Good wholesome episode. It was one of those chill SoL moment of 'I knew this was gonna happen, but I'm glad it did'.
May 12, 2022 10:03 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Another bad mom.... She left her daughter and neglected her and chose work over her.
Then she came back trying to take her away from the people who genuinely love her and she also found something she loves doing...
She is rich living in France and all but wont help her husband out.
But imagine if a man did that to his wife, he would be dragged to court and would be forced to hand over his entire fortune...

Bad mom crocodile tears ..at least the father raised her and left her with people who love her. But the mom just ignored her and then abandoned her and lives a merry life in France..

Anyway where can i listen to the full version of the opening?
It's an amazing song

May 12, 2022 11:59 AM

Mar 2014
Oh the mommy still alive, I thought she passed away or something
May 12, 2022 12:21 PM

Jun 2016
even the mommy rejected ..

itsuka its belong to nagomu family !!

May 12, 2022 12:47 PM

Jul 2016
Nagomu is such a good father figure. It really warms my heart to see him being so supportive of Itsuka. Sports Festival segment was so wholesome~

And as for Itsuka's mother, I was honestly expecting a bit more of conflict but to my surprise, all the parts involved ended up acting quite maturely regarding the issue. Ah~ how refreshing it is to have adults in anime acting like proper adults for once.
Now that said, I really hope Itsuka's mother does an extra effort and tries to find a job that won't keep her away from her daughter. That is, if she was sincere and really wants to be involved in Itsuka's life...
May 12, 2022 6:01 PM

Aug 2021
nagomu cheering on itsuka was so sweet, and this episode broke my heart with her mother appearing. raised my score to a 9
May 12, 2022 7:06 PM

Jan 2011
was kinda surprise how no drama this heavy drama was if her moms story lines up i honestly under stand where shes coming from only thing is Itsuka seems to have zero resentment towards her useless dad since shes been looking for him this whole time meanwhile it felt like she didn't think much of her mom

still our boyu and the fam is super supportive of everything was nice to see

wholesome seal of approval
May 13, 2022 9:19 PM

Aug 2019
I’m surprised she left so quickly. I would’ve stayed a bit longer to spend time with my child lol
May 14, 2022 5:01 AM

May 2021
I liked this episode compared to the others, it felt more coherent about keeping the structure that they are trying to maintain. The single mother perspective didn't feel as artificial as it could be as it humanized both parties, and the fact that it follows the sport festival gave it more of an interesting climax. I still don't like how extremely reliant over coincidences and on the nose dialogue this anime is, but I can buy it this time

May 14, 2022 7:31 AM

Apr 2018
Itsuka is really unlucky to be a child of such abnormal parents.
May 15, 2022 10:36 AM
Jul 2020
Waiting for the next episode

May 19, 2022 12:03 AM

Aug 2018
Sun_Chan said:
I’m surprised she left so quickly. I would’ve stayed a bit longer to spend time with my child lol
she is used to abandoning her. She can now say it was Itsuki choice to stay, she dont have to feel guilty no more, have an idiot giving her pictures. A real piece of garbage the mother is.
May 20, 2022 8:11 PM

Feb 2022
The show has been a good balance of light heartedness and emotional moments so far but this episode is a bit of a miss for me in the second half.
The circumstance of Itsuka staying with them feels more flimsy and weird now that we know her mother. She seemed so serious and ready to take on the role, going as far as hiring someone to find and investigate them, and then gives up on it very easily. Feels like the most unrealistic the series has handled something so far compared to what we've seen.
They should have at least shown Ituka rejecting the offer to move. Either way still enjoying this series but what a weird second half. Would have been fine just having the mom dead or unmentioned and just having the sleazeball father to deal with at some point.
May 21, 2022 8:07 PM

Mar 2012
At the start of the episode, Nagomu was thinking of wanting Itsuka to feel that she's not alone. By the end we see that Itsuka has already felt that way towards his family/Ryokushou. The part where Nagomu and his dad where talking while looking at the moon made me teary. Itsuka not harboring negative feelings towards her parents, even talking fondly about her dad - waiting for more screentime for him

I'm amazed how even the adults/elderly are fired up about the sports festival ahaha. Them gushing about the Best Family Award was cute ww

"Forgetfulness is one of your strengths" please ^^;;
May 23, 2022 8:22 AM

Nov 2013
I'm glad the family drama was resolved quickly and without tears. Feel sorry for the mom but she was wise not to take Itsuka away from her new family.
May 23, 2022 9:53 PM

Nov 2019
Okay, this might be the best episode so far. 3.5/5.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Jun 28, 2022 3:03 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
The sports festival was nice, all of them got to cheer for Itsuka, also interesting to see that the mother came back (though Itsuka is staying there) not surprising for the father's behavior, it's pretty obvious
Jul 9, 2022 9:03 AM

Feb 2021
Finally, Itsuka can meet his mom after all this time.
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jul 17, 2022 3:30 AM

Jul 2015
Damn calling Nagomu a bad influence considering the dad is an even worse one for abandoning Itsuka. Still glad things sort of worked out with Nagomu keeping contact as I feel bad for the mom and Itsuka being separated for so long.

Sep 9, 2022 5:16 AM

Jan 2022
I don't know itsuka's mother is good or bad but most importantly itsuka didn't go with her mother.

I like it because there is no heavy drama in this episode.

Episode 5/5
“Life is never boring, but some people choose to be bored.”

— Wayne Dyer
Jun 21, 2023 9:59 AM

Mar 2013
I'm glad that there's no bloodbath... 😅
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Deaimon Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 4, 2022

53 by wildhood »»
May 29, 7:16 PM

Poll: » Deaimon Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 22, 2022

85 by CrackHeadReviews »»
May 9, 10:45 PM

Poll: » Deaimon Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 1, 2022

61 by defaulticus »»
Apr 3, 9:40 AM

» Asking what happen at the manga

FeliksXzl - Jan 9

1 by bossunhimeswitch »»
Jan 9, 10:27 AM

» What are our thoughts on this one?

sorames - Jun 12, 2023

26 by KitsuFrost »»
Aug 7, 2023 2:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.