Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 18, 2022 8:28 AM
Jan 2022
I don't know what is character building. But in some comments i have seen "has good character development "" the character building is great " so what is it. And I don't remember that if it is character building or character development.
Apr 18, 2022 8:40 AM

Sep 2020
There is little to none in this show. The only one I can think of it Tenya’s and even then it did not change much. I know Bakugou gets good character development in the manga so I guess we wait for that
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 18, 2022 8:43 AM
Jul 2021
Yuri_Niji said:
There is little to none in this show. The only one I can think of it Tenya’s and even then it did not change much. I know Bakugou gets good character development in the manga so I guess we wait for that

he does but its still pretty far away dont expect it this upcoming season
Apr 18, 2022 8:44 AM
Jul 2021
there will be more character development furthur on in the manga, but thats only for a small group of characters
Apr 18, 2022 8:46 AM

May 2019
Mikegamin777 said:
I don't know what is character building. But in some comments i have seen "has good character development "" the character building is great " so what is it. And I don't remember that if it is character building or character development.

It’s “character development” but it’s fine if you say “character building”. Anyway, character development is literally just the development of a character. Firstly a character has to show that they have some level of depth. This would include usually some sort of struggle that they have, like a fear, being angry all the time, or being evil. The “character development” is when they overcome these struggles, so they no longer have this fear, they’re not always so angry, or they start considering other people more. These are just examples but whenever you see a character change as a person due to one or multiple events, then that’s character development.
"Equivalent exchange. I'll give half of my life to you, if you give half of your life to me."
Apr 18, 2022 8:53 AM

Aug 2021
Character building and character development are the same thing. Simply put, it’s exactly what it sounds like. It’s the development of a character as the story goes on. An easy example would be if the protagonist is a kind, selfless person at the beginning of the story and as the story goes on they become more harsh and selfish, that would be character development. This is just one example of course, it doesn’t have to be good to bad or vice versa, it can really be any kind of change over time. Essentially all characters have some character development even if it’s minimal. Most of the characters in this show would be an example of having minimal character development.
Apr 18, 2022 9:01 AM
Jan 2022
Mikegamin777 said:

watch haikyuu, you will understand what is character development
Apr 18, 2022 9:01 AM
Apr 2021
Wen characters change throughout the story.
Apr 18, 2022 9:03 AM
May 2021
There are many examples for character development in anime, but my hero academia isn't one of them.
Apr 18, 2022 9:03 AM
Jan 2022
MR-GOD said:
Mikegamin777 said:

It’s “character development” but it’s fine if you say “character building”. Anyway, character development is literally just the development of a character. Firstly a character has to show that they have some level of depth. This would include usually some sort of struggle that they have, like a fear, being angry all the time, or being evil. The “character development” is when they overcome these struggles, so they no longer have this fear, they’re not always so angry, or they start considering other people more. These are just examples but whenever you see a character change as a person due to one or multiple events, then that’s character development.
thank you very much🤩🤩🤩
Apr 18, 2022 9:27 AM
Mar 2022
watch haikyuu , most of the characters have good character development. Naruto also has well developed characters like naruto, obito, sasuke and itachi. Mcs like eren , thorfinn and Lelouch are also great characters. In mha , bakugo also gets a pretty good character development later in the manga
Apr 18, 2022 9:38 AM
Apr 2022
Character development is when a character change their personalities/goals in order to be better (or even worse)
One of the reasons why I dropped MHA is because I'm disappointed by the character growth in the series. I loved the concept and the story, but I want to see growth and change in the characters. Some of them don't even feel like real humans.
Apr 18, 2022 9:52 AM

Jul 2015
If you want character development, you should pay attention to Bakugo and Todoroki, not Izuki.

Apr 18, 2022 9:53 AM
Nov 2021
Yuri_Niji said:

todoroki has a good amount too
Apr 18, 2022 9:54 AM
Nov 2021
Yuri_Niji said:

and so does todorokis father
Apr 18, 2022 10:06 AM
Jan 2021
it's kind of a shame that horikoshi seems to give a character a good piece of development and then just never touch on that character again. biggest example being Iida. after he got bodied by stain he knew that he needed to earn the name that his brother previously had and wasn't worthy of it yet. flash forward to the next season and he's already taken up the name with no growth shown to us. Or Momo who was struggling with self confidence and making decisions fast. she had 1 episode where it was resolved and has since then just been a background character. Or Shoto who went from being a mysterious rival character with a traumatic past to basically just an idiot who doesn't understand how to interact with people like a human. idk I could be being overly critical but things like these really bother me about the series
Apr 18, 2022 10:12 AM

Jul 2021
When a character changes throughout the show to put it simply.

Apr 18, 2022 10:22 AM
Nov 2020
something most of the characters in mha don't have
Apr 18, 2022 10:23 AM
Sep 2021
Yuri_Niji said:

Shoto too gets character development slightly
Apr 18, 2022 10:24 AM
Aug 2021
Character development or a character arc is a term used in story writing which means that a character "grows" as a person or changes (for the good or the bad) from the beginning of the story to the end, this creates a sense of movement or progression and satisfaction for the viewer. A good example of this is Deku learning to be a more confident hero or how guts changes after the clipse.
Apr 18, 2022 10:27 AM
Jun 2021
remeber this comment
" in typical shounen anime you will only get dumb mc which wil use brain in some action scene , otherwise they are useless " don't expect a unique story or something
Apr 18, 2022 11:23 AM
Dec 2021
Yuri_Niji said:

Tbh the biggest character development seen in mha must be with todoroki shoto and his father endeavor since shoto learned that he isnt his fathers slave and started opening to others. Endeavor on the other hand got to know that what he did was wrong and started to change for the better. I think that alot of people overlook character development in mha just because the development is slow.
Apr 18, 2022 11:24 AM

Sep 2020
Kasutoro-Kun said:
Yuri_Niji said:

and so does todorokis father
Ah, I forgot about him. Endeavours character development is really good imo.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 18, 2022 11:26 AM

Sep 2020
Sudity said:
Yuri_Niji said:

Shoto too gets character development slightly
Yeah, but it turns around so quickly. It goes “I hate my dad”. “Maybe I shouldn’t hate my dad anymore” then “I hate my dad, you will never be my dad”. I don’t know if things change in the manga but his is pretty meh. Endeavour has the best character development in the show imo
Apr 18, 2022 11:26 AM
May 2021
character development is mostly for shounen troops. First they are weak then thay train hard they get stronger you can connect with certain characters if they are well written and if you are talking about mha there are no character development for the main cast. I think you should watch hunter x hunter if you want one of best world building and character development in a shounen anime.
Sand_bagApr 18, 2022 11:30 AM
Apr 18, 2022 11:27 AM

Sep 2020
viotish said:
Yuri_Niji said:

Tbh the biggest character development seen in mha must be with todoroki shoto and his father endeavor since shoto learned that he isnt his fathers slave and started opening to others. Endeavor on the other hand got to know that what he did was wrong and started to change for the better. I think that alot of people overlook character development in mha just because the development is slow.
Yeah, tbh I forgot all about Endeavour but his character development was really well done. I do hate how Shoto keeps flip flopping between hating his father to not hating him.
Apr 18, 2022 11:54 AM

Jan 2021
I think Bakugou and Todoroki evolved a lot between S1 and 4. Izuku's development has pretty much been focused on his gradual One for All upgrades. Little to none as a character.
Apr 18, 2022 12:03 PM

Apr 2021
Character development is something Luffy didn't go through in the past 20 years
I love Monogatari Series
Apr 18, 2022 12:32 PM
Jun 2021
Mikegamin777 said:

It's basically the psychological evolution of the character. The way they act or think can change for the best or the worst. Any little thing that happens can add to the character building, for example getting destroyed in a fight might cause a character to change their perception. It's basically the evolution of the character.
Apr 18, 2022 12:53 PM
Jul 2018
Character building is required to achieve character development, it's not the same though.

The first one is used by authors to give layers and colors to the character but it doesn't mean they are going to develop. They may be complicated and deep, yet remain static throughout the story.

Character development refers to positive or negative changes, usually permanent, that the character goes through. Those changes can be goals, morality, ideology, philosophy, personality traits, mentality, etc. Emotional and physical changes are not included.
Apr 18, 2022 1:04 PM
Jan 2022
(Look below to see the real one I accidently posted the comment twice lol)
Ixed_CxffeeApr 18, 2022 1:10 PM
Apr 18, 2022 1:09 PM
Jan 2022
Like the characters have good developed personality, looks and just everything was well thought about it
Apr 18, 2022 5:05 PM
Aug 2019
Yuri_Niji said:

Bakugo definitely has gotten a lot of character development. See how he talked to that one annoying kid in Season 4 (a few episodes after Overhaul). It's not super explicit but it's there and it's clearly building towards a conclusion.

Besides him and the rest of the characters mentioned already in this post, I think you could argue Shigaraki has had a progression, regardless of whether or not it's good. And Twice definitely does have a lot of development in Season 5.
Apr 19, 2022 12:01 AM
May 2020
How can you watch this show and say deku doesn’t have character development 😂
Apr 19, 2022 8:42 AM
May 2021
Mikegamin777 said:

To me, a development is when a certain character gets a major changes throughout the series as a results of what was built for them. it can be wether their personality changes, Goals, Motivations, or even ideologies. Like how Deku realizing his own weaknesses, Todoroki accepting his past, and how Bakugo slowly leeting go his Ego, yeah i think that is a character Development. so much thing can be done to make a well-developed character.

some characters that i think had a great development (not in order)
-Eren
-Emiya Shirou
-Rudeus
-Subaru
-Simon (gurren lagann)

Character building, to me, is the process of building a unique, three-dimensional character with depth, personality, Goals, Motivations, etc. Or to put it simply, how fleshed out the character is. Like how "three dimensional" you can feel the character is, or how "human" the character is. For example, i know that when i meet a certain character in they would do this, or that (if you know what i mean). Yeah for me it is that "feel" of how "real" a character can be, is what a character building means.

Some characters that i think had a great build up (not in order)
-Kaneki
-Shiki Ryougi
-Shinji (Eva)
-Kiritsugu
-Oz Vessalius
-Musashi (Vagabond)
Apr 19, 2022 9:16 AM
Jan 2022
ScaredSilent said:
Mikegamin777 said:

To me, a development is when a certain character gets a major changes throughout the series as a results of what was built for them. it can be wether their personality changes, Goals, Motivations, or even ideologies. Like how Deku realizing his own weaknesses, Todoroki accepting his past, and how Bakugo slowly leeting go his Ego, yeah i think that is a character Development. so much thing can be done to make a well-developed character.

-Eren
-Emiya Shirou
-Rudeus
-Subaru
-Simon (gurren lagann)

Character building, to me, is the process of building a unique, three-dimensional character with depth, personality, Goals, Motivations, etc. Or to put it simply, how fleshed out the character is. Like how "three dimensional" you can feel the character is, or how "human" the character is. For example, i know that when i meet a certain character in they would do this, or that (if you know what i mean). Yeah for me it is that "feel" of how "real" a character can be, is what a character building means.

-Kaneki
-Shiki Ryougi
-Shinji (Eva)
-Kiritsugu
-Oz Vessalius
-Musashi (Vagabond)
man i only know kaneki in this list, but thanks for your response it was very informative.
Apr 19, 2022 9:36 AM
May 2021
Mikegamin777 said:
ScaredSilent said:

-Eren
-Emiya Shirou
-Rudeus
-Subaru
-Simon (gurren lagann)

-Kaneki
-Shiki Ryougi
-Shinji (Eva)
-Kiritsugu
-Oz Vessalius
-Musashi (Vagabond)
man i only know kaneki in this list, but thanks for your response it was very informative.

eyy no prob✌🏻
Apr 19, 2022 9:36 AM
May 2021
Mikegamin777 said:
ScaredSilent said:

-Eren
-Emiya Shirou
-Rudeus
-Subaru
-Simon (gurren lagann)

-Kaneki
-Shiki Ryougi
-Shinji (Eva)
-Kiritsugu
-Oz Vessalius
-Musashi (Vagabond)

eyy no prob✌🏻
Apr 21, 2022 9:57 AM
Aug 2020
Lone_wolf2021 said:
There are many examples for character development in anime, but my hero academia isn't one of them.

could you care to point out the character development that hasn't been seen in the 1A characters upto season 5, barring the side characters like Koda, Mezo Shoji, Ojiro, Hagakure and Sero.
Apr 21, 2022 10:32 AM
May 2021
KusarigamaD10S said:
Lone_wolf2021 said:

could you care to point out the character development that hasn't been seen in the 1A characters upto season 5, barring the side characters like Koda, Mezo Shoji, Ojiro, Hagakure and Sero.
Sorry but I haven't seen upto season 5. I've seen only 2 seasons of this anime but the only noticeable character development was with todoroki. I dont know whether there will be some later in the series.

Tbh I think there should have been more character development and writing put into this anime in two seasons than what it actually had ,considering its score.
Apr 21, 2022 11:13 AM
Aug 2020
The score 😂😂😂😂. Let's try not to get even started about it. There has been an overwhelming urge among many people in this community to give poor ratings to this anime simply because their favourite character didn't get enough screentime, their favourite couple wasn't made canon, or someone's sexuality wasn't to their liking. Yes, the most ridiculous of reasons that could be there. And they actually talk sh*t about the show for these very reasons under the premise of things like "poor world building, poor story telling, poor action" and other hogwash. I'm not talking about you by saying these, but this is prevalent, and most people must've noticed this unless they've purposely chosen to ignore it.
MHA does have it's drawbacks, but people have this urge to blatantly exaggerate every tiny detail that "they" found "unsatisfying" and keep nitpicking on the show instead of actually paying head to the characters, their circumstances, the world that they're in, the situation of that world, what governs it etc. Mind it that what one section of viewers have found "unsatisfying" as per their pristine standards is by no means a plausible reason to say that a show is bad if one is to talk from a neutral POV, but they don't care. It's like as long as they could do some gatekeeping on MHA, and talk made up sh*t which is totally groundless, they could sleep peacefully at night lol.
Anyways back to the topic at hand, yeah by S2 only Todoroki and Iida might've had very noticeable character development from your POV. But S2 was primarily focused on 2 things, the sports tournament arc and the hero killer Stain arc, so I think it's only a given that most of the character development that sprouts from these 2 arcs would be surrounding the characters who were majorly involved in the same. Uraraka overcame her lack of confidence, Momo had to question her abilities and what was the best way to put them to use. Not mentioning Deku, Todoroki and Iida since they were majorly involved in both arcs of this season. Lastly this season was not even one which had to be focused on character development in each arc. The characters grow step by step, with little changes to their personality at each step which provoked an awakening in them. With each defeat or victory they had a moment to rethink how they were using their quirks and whether or not it was the best way to use them. Which is actually of the essence given that they're gonna be the pillars of the society in the near future, so it's of utmost importance that they figure out what's the best way for them to use their quirks, so that they can further improvise on it and improve it's applications. They also had to think if they were working with the correct attitude, which can be just as key in determining the outcome of a grave situation. Think of Koda's moment in the fight against Present Mic, Tokoyami's defeat against Bakugou, Kirishima's defeat against principal Nezu along with Sugar Rush. These are just some of the moments.
Apr 21, 2022 6:19 PM
Mar 2021
Something this show doesn’t have...
Apr 25, 2022 5:37 AM

May 2020
ScaredSilent said:
Mikegamin777 said:

-Eren
-Emiya Shirou
-Rudeus
-Subaru
-Simon (gurren lagann)

-Kaneki
-Shiki Ryougi
-Shinji (Eva)
-Kiritsugu
-Oz Vessalius
-Musashi (Vagabond)

I also want to thank you for the informative post! You mentioned a few characters I don't know, so I'm going to look for more information about them. I also recommend reading https://graduateway.com/essay-examples/character-analysis/ to better understand how character development analysis should be done. This site helped me many times when I had to quickly prepare texts on topics that I do not know at all. Do not be lazy to watch its filling.
I want to add that often in movies (not necessarily anime) you can meet characters about whom almost nothing is said and they have very little dialogue. I always start to think that they will be killed soon or something will happen to them, because they are not revealed as characters at all.
kanekiikennApr 28, 2022 12:56 PM
Jul 3, 2022 12:41 AM
Jul 2021
A way a character changes throughout the series

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2016

278 by Apreggi »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2016

297 by Apreggi »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 29, 2016

217 by Apreggi »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 22, 2016

263 by Apreggi »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 15, 2016

334 by Apreggi »»
Today, 1:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.