Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Date A Live (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 17, 2022 12:25 AM
Mar 2021
I binged this yesterday, and while I generally liked most of the characters well enough (though Tohka was really an immature baby for a long stretch there), Origami never grew on me at all. She's among other things a stalker, someone incapable of taking no for an answer, a horribly undisciplined soldier, and so twisted by revenge she's even willing to cold-bloodedly murder the sister of the guy she likes without any consideration of his feelings. Because she doesn't care about anyone else's feelings, least of all Shidou's. I dreaded that the show was going to make me feel sorry for her or have her redeem herself, but I'm glad at least it didn't happen in the first season.

oh and she learned absolutely nothing from almost killing Shidou (and he would have died and god knows what Tohka would have done if not for the Fire Spirit's power). Like, she just gets worse and worse every episode until she's stealing experimental military equipment and wantonly endangering civiliians to murder a 13 year old girl. Who, again, is the sister of the guy she likes.

now I'm planning to continue watching even though I think the series is pretty mid and fanservicey because it's also a lot of fun with interesting concepts. Inexplicably I love Kurumi. But, like, she's a completely broken psycho. Origami just sucks in a more grounded, infuriating way. The difference between a serial killer and someone who tried to kill their spouse.

I despise her, and I'm wondering: am I supposed to? Am I supposed to feel mostly disgust and contempt towards her? Is that the authorial and directorial intent?
Apr 17, 2022 12:35 AM

Jul 2015
I assume you are talking about her dumb stunt from 3rd season, so I suggest to putting it in spoiler tag.

Anyway, it's hard to disagree.
But still, I think she learn learned her lesson hard by how whole ordeal beckfired in her face, so she is not really beyond redemption.

Apr 17, 2022 12:36 AM
Jan 2022
I see where you’re coming from, for a good portion of the show I found her annoying with the revenge stuff but she kinda grew on me ig
Apr 17, 2022 12:38 AM
Aug 2018
The third season kind of explains it.
Apr 17, 2022 1:52 AM

Jun 2021
Violet42 said:
I binged this yesterday, and while I generally liked most of the characters well enough (though Tohka was really an immature baby for a long stretch there), Origami never grew on me at all. She's among other things a stalker, someone incapable of taking no for an answer, a horribly undisciplined soldier, and so twisted by revenge she's even willing to cold-bloodedly murder the sister of the guy she likes without any consideration of his feelings. Because she doesn't care about anyone else's feelings, least of all Shidou's. I dreaded that the show was going to make me feel sorry for her or have her redeem herself, but I'm glad at least it didn't happen in the first season.

oh and she learned absolutely nothing from almost killing Shidou (and he would have died and god knows what Tohka would have done if not for the Fire Spirit's power). Like, she just gets worse and worse every episode until she's stealing experimental military equipment and wantonly endangering civiliians to murder a 13 year old girl. Who, again, is the sister of the guy she likes.

now I'm planning to continue watching even though I think the series is pretty mid and fanservicey because it's also a lot of fun with interesting concepts. Inexplicably I love Kurumi. But, like, she's a completely broken psycho. Origami just sucks in a more grounded, infuriating way. The difference between a serial killer and someone who tried to kill their spouse.

I despise her, and I'm wondering: am I supposed to? Am I supposed to feel mostly disgust and contempt towards her? Is that the authorial and directorial intent?

Doesn't matter as long as you love Kurumi it's okay and negligible.
Apr 17, 2022 2:02 AM
Nov 2021
am i the only one that’s rewatched the show three times and forgot everything😂
yngboifreshApr 17, 2022 2:05 AM
Apr 17, 2022 2:45 AM
Mar 2022
Violet42 said:

Her character will change by alot I mean alot... something will happen later in the series a whole big arc is dedicated to her so keep on watching. I too hated her but now I dont have any negative thoughts against her, and kurumi played a big role in this so you will most probably like the arc ;)
Apr 17, 2022 4:19 AM
Jul 2018
Violet42 said:

You've mentioned the incident of her almost "killing" "Shido" but you didn't mention what happened to her after she did that her "regret" was clear from her "face" and she went into the state of "mental breakdown" for a while, even when "Tohka" comes to "avenge" shido despite you know how much she hates "spirits" but that moment she got no "spirit" in herself to fight. To me it was a total miscalculation from "Origami" and she didn't her lesson from that doesn't makes sense to me. You've mentioned the incident when she went on a "rampage" to kill "Kotori" but didn't mention that her main motive to join "AST" was to avenge her "parents" and I think you're against the "idea" of her taking "revenge", this incident does show Origami at fault given she didn't ensure anyone's safety and was only concerned about her revenge and almost gived up on "moral values", also "Kotori's" not only defending herself but also "challenging" Origami accounted for almost failing the attempts of Shido's negotiation with Origami causing more destruction around them. To me "Origami" isn't someone to despise though I don't justify her carelessly taken actions but she is also learns from her mistakes given after "'almost killing Shido incident" she decided to attack Spirits only when they'll be in their "Spirit form." Also when you say "pretty mid" doesn't it mean "pretty weak" or "pretty bad" or maybe there is some other meaning you got there, and "fanservicey" I think you haven't checked the themes "'Harem" is also mentioned their. I also love "Kurumi's" character especially her ability to "manipulate time" makes her "wicked" nature more "cherish" time to time, although her main power is associated with controlling shadows which also makes her character "unpredictable".
Apr 17, 2022 4:27 AM
Nov 2021
I wouldn't mind a girl like origami in my life and she's tied with kurumi for best girl imo... but in the later seasons you'll see why she's like this which is somewhat justified lol
SawsyMikeyApr 17, 2022 4:31 AM
Apr 17, 2022 12:37 PM
Aug 2021
she's labeled a protagonist, but she isn't, since her ideals goes against shidou's
Apr 17, 2022 12:37 PM
Aug 2021
she's labeled a protagonist, but she isn't, since her ideals goes against shidou's
Apr 17, 2022 12:59 PM
Jun 2021
Violet42 said:

While it is hard to not agree with you, the third season kinda explains why she acts like an asshole the majority of the time. But I must suggest you to not drop the anime for this.
Apr 17, 2022 1:19 PM
Oct 2020
unrelated but has season 5 already aired?
Apr 18, 2022 1:56 AM
Aug 2021
She gets better as the story progresses, and it gets explained in season 3 why she does what she does to Shido and her hatred towards spirits. I generally like her has a character especially once we were shown what kick started her motives.
Apr 18, 2022 2:03 AM
Aug 2021
Majaladi said:
unrelated but has season 5 already aired?

Season 4 started airing April 8th, I watch it through Crunchyroll premium.
Apr 18, 2022 11:30 PM
Sep 2015
tannerrocks said:
She gets better as the story progresses, and it gets explained in season 3 why she does what she does to Shido and her hatred towards spirits. I generally like her has a character especially once we were shown what kick started her motives.

Third seasons justifies her a terrorist and bombing a amusement park full of civilians? Do they ever explain why the military has high school girls as soldiers?
Apr 19, 2022 1:18 AM
Aug 2021
NovaMagic said:
tannerrocks said:

Third seasons justifies her a terrorist and bombing a amusement park full of civilians? Do they ever explain why the military has high school girls as soldiers?
I wouldn't say it justifies what she did, she was on a complete bloodlust rampage and wasn't letting anything stop her from achieving her only goal that she had made at that point in her life. As far as the million dollar question as to "Why there are high school girls in the AST?" I'm afraid I can't answer that question as I am still curious myself lol!
Apr 19, 2022 1:23 AM
Mar 2021
okay I binged the whole series, lol.

I still don't like her, and it's funny that the only way she could be made bearable is

Apr 19, 2022 8:15 AM
Sep 2015
tannerrocks said:
NovaMagic said:

I wouldn't say it justifies what she did, she was on a complete bloodlust rampage and wasn't letting anything stop her from achieving her only goal that she had made at that point in her life. As far as the million dollar question as to "Why there are high school girls in the AST?" I'm afraid I can't answer that question as I am still curious myself lol!

Just imagine the military going to random high schools in Japan asking underaged girls: " hey kid you wanna wear sexy meccha armor?"
Apr 19, 2022 10:49 AM
Mar 2021
If you want to get into that, I can't speak for the light novel, but the anime really doesn't adequately explain why Kotori gets to be in command of an expensive, ultra-powerful airship. some aspects of this story just make zero sense and you have to roll with it, lol.
Apr 19, 2022 12:42 PM

Oct 2021
Is that an offense to Tohka?
What do you mean by "immature baby"?
yes.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Date A Live Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 11, 2013

205 by winddevil1 »»
May 11, 3:50 PM

Poll: » Date A Live Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 13, 2013

275 by WolfManZylo »»
May 9, 10:26 PM

Poll: » Date A Live Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2013

323 by HiljainenSipuli »»
May 5, 6:23 AM

Poll: » Date A Live Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 8, 2013

182 by HiljainenSipuli »»
May 5, 6:04 AM

Poll: » Date A Live Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 1, 2013

175 by HiljainenSipuli »»
May 5, 5:22 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.