Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 14, 2022 8:30 AM

Nov 2011
Not going to lie, this was both an interesting and also despairing start. The mood of this episode was eerie and had emotions coming from the cast, particularly Mio.

There's definitely a sense of mystery about the story related to deaths in the past. Shinpei in particular has a strong connection to the story and about a girl named Ushio. Animation quality looks decent so I hope there won't be drops in quality. So far, I see a lot of potential in this show.

May 2020
Well, talk about fooling someone with outward appearances, it certainly took a grim turn from that easygoing atmosphere in a matter of a few minutes. Straight off starting things off with such an evil cliffhanger of all things… damn.

And it seems like we’re going for a revival trip next time, already a fair bit interested in this one.

Jul 2017
One of the most anticipated shows of the season: mangaka Yasuki Tanaka's mystery supernatural series adapted in its 139 chapters, 13 volumes entirety in 25 episodes...

And like Black Rock Shooter: Dawn Fall, this is locked behind Disney+ jail, so forget about official subs, lean into fansubs for this show as well.

Macaroni Empitsu's OP is really good, and so is the distinctive OP animation done by the one and only Studio 4°C (famous for Kaijuu no Kodomo a.k.a Children of the Sea).

The island of Hitogashima in Wakayama City, MC Shinpei Ajiro is back for Ushio Kofune's funeral (the girl in the swimming suit), and while his objective is the protect the older sister Mio, this island has a Higurashi-feel with with Shinpei being like Re:Zero's Subaru with the whole time-looping sequence. As it turns out, Ushio's death is not as simple as it looks, and rumours swell that it was something else other than drowning.

The island's only police officer Tetsu Totsumura provides their substantial evidence, and onee after another, another family (the Kobayakawas) also went missing with the family's only daughter Shiori saving Ushio but to no avail. Bit by bit, the island's residents drop information that starts driving the story's mystery narrative, and in the woods where lies "shadow" characters, Shinpei finds the lady whom she slapped him on the boat, fighting for her life from supposed gunshots from a doppelganger of Mio.

OLM's production really shines through with a great start and a perfect adaptation of Chapter 1, and if the studio can keep this Disney+ exclusive consistency for the 6-month run, I will be impressed.
KANLen09Apr 15, 2022 7:35 AM
Apr 14, 2022 8:46 AM

Jan 2019
my AOTS is here...
Apr 14, 2022 9:23 AM
Jul 2019
Interesting beginning hope it doesn't drop in its quality
Apr 14, 2022 9:23 AM
Jul 2018
MANGA READERS SHOULD I WORRY ABOUT THE ADAPTATION? HOW MUCH CONTENT IS REMOVED ?
removed-userApr 14, 2022 9:47 AM
Apr 14, 2022 9:43 AM
Jul 2019
hyqura-genetix said:
MANGA READERS SHOULD I WORRY ABOUT THE ADAPTATION? HOW'S EP1 COMPARES TO IT'S MANGA COUNTERPART?

How do u feel about it's counterpart in the first place?
Apr 14, 2022 9:53 AM
Jan 2021
hyqura-genetix said:
MANGA READERS SHOULD I WORRY ABOUT THE ADAPTATION? HOW MUCH CONTENT IS REMOVED ?

13 volumes of manga got put into 24 episodes anime. I suspect that at least some part will get cut, if not some story beat might feel rushed.
Apr 14, 2022 10:03 AM
Feb 2022
Just wait for sensei, she gonna steal the show for sure :3
Apr 14, 2022 10:37 AM

Oct 2021
I am worried about pacing but first episode is pretty good.
I have high hopes from this show please don't disappoint me.
Apr 14, 2022 10:56 AM
Apr 2018
I watch a small part of the raw just to see what it's about and it's def an intriguing series.

Btw, am I the weird one or does everyone in MAL forgets the adaptation section exist? You know, the section where MAL links you to the profile of manga/novel the anime was adapted from. I always look at the manga profile (score and readers review) so i can get a glimpse of what the show had to over.

I'm genuinely curious cause every anime watcher I met always comes in not knowing anything (which is not an issue) and started asking, garbaging, or assuming shit while the basic answer is like 2 clicks away. This especially relevant cause this manga is already ended, so the score and opinion is basically finalize at this point
Apr 14, 2022 11:37 AM

Oct 2017
What a way to start the anime, this was quite intense. The start of the episode with the oppai scene and the end of the episode with the restart were both intriguing.

Already loving the adaptation, they've adapted it quite well. Animation, visuals, character design looks amazing. The seiyuus are doing a great job voicing the characters too. Hyped to see upcoming chapters animated.

Really loved the manga and was very excited for the anime so I'm happy this turned out so well. This is gonna be such a fun ride.
MegamiRemApr 15, 2022 11:14 AM
Apr 14, 2022 1:03 PM

Jun 2021
Perfect episode 1.

I think it did justice to the original manga. The pacing felt right and the tension building was very good. This comes as no surprise, with Watanabe doing the storyboard and Seko doing the script. They really put a strong staff together for this and hopefully this quality continues on.
Apr 14, 2022 1:11 PM
Sep 2020
Well that was certainly pretty dark, definitely wasn’t expecting that. I will probably go read the manga as it’s in d+ jail.
Apr 14, 2022 1:43 PM

Jul 2021
Had to watch this after having my early breakfast because the number of ecchi scenes in this series LMAO The OP visually has an interesting direction. Okay at first sight I knew something tragic is going to be happening to Ushio when she closes Shinpei’s eye, also they showed Shinpei’s first perspective sight to really give out a memorable sight of this Ushio girl since an unknown mystery sparks in involving her unapparent death and Shinpei got his head touched by Hizuru’s boobs, also we can’t deny she’s sexc hot and is voiced by an ara ara voice actress mhm mhm but ouch and as expected, Shinpei got slapped yikes.

Mio made an interesting entrance I can't believe they actually didn't censor that part and she’s Ushio’s sister. The funeral was really sad, rip Ushio, and Sou revealed something that may or may not be the cause of her death to where she sacrificed her life for saving Shiori from drowning but Shiori is already becoming a sussy girl just by her facial expression. Shinpei making the curry scene kind of hits me :,( For the time-traveling aspect, I'll probably give a sign the next time there's going to be a loop because this is one of the series that requires to keep my mind fresh.

Heh now another mystery sparks in regarding Shiori and her families disappearance stated by Sheriff guy or Totsumura, also he is a man of culture mhm mhm and there was a scene prior to this where he encountered a “shadow” Mio because the “real” Mio was legit inside the house.

Prior to this, Sou and Shinpei had a call and if Sou said that Ushio got strangled since there’s a mark on her neck, then it could be either Shiori who actually killed her or the shadow is Ushio herself and killed the “real” Ushio but then again any information can be false at this point lol because Ushio the shadow is not entirely Ushio herself.

Mio and Shinpei went to the north side of Hitoga Island, both saw Shiori running and Hizuru got injured ;_; and the “shadow” Mio is scaring the shit out of me when she pulled the trigger on the “real” Mio and Shinpei’s head ;_;

I think the shadow and this one setting which is Hitoga Island located in Wakayama Prefecture will play a role in this series as the time-traveling aspect will soon get repetitive on its own and Shinpei must respawn to the same exact starting point if he gets killed by the shadow but the more he starts to wider his researching about the shadows and other clues, the more it’s closer to solve the town and Ushio’s mystery.

Very nice premiering for the first episode, easily one of my AOTs alongside with Spy X Family, Hiroshi Seko, with all your series compositions from Mob Psycho to Shingeki No Kyojin, please don't screw the pacing up because you barely miss 🙏🙏

What a tragedy :'(
CQLLISTApr 14, 2022 8:15 PM
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Apr 14, 2022 2:46 PM

Jan 2019
Well, waiting for fansubs is gonna suck but I watched the raws and it's visually beautiful.

13 volumes in 25 episodes though? No doubt there will be skipped content and/or very fast paced episodes which is unfortunate.
"Never underestimate the stupidity of the average anime fan"
Apr 14, 2022 3:03 PM

Jan 2012
Finally! Some good fcking mystery/thriller anime. Definitely an AOTS contender for me.

I didn't read manga, but heard it'll be difficult to adapt everything in 25 episodes. Still, for now pacing seems fine.
Apr 14, 2022 5:47 PM
Jan 2016
Great starting. They adapted only 1 chapter for first episode and I reaally liked the adaptation. They're gonna rush on next episodes tho. Voice actings were good -especially Mio's-, art was fine, animation is fine and no too much censoring (or it's just first episode?). Also Kansai accent is everywhere and it's a little weird but I didn't see any anime that almost every characters speaking with accent. It's so good I don't know why... Anyways, first episode was good overall. 8/10
Apr 14, 2022 6:18 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
was NOT expecting the fanservice despite the girl in the swimsuit

lets fucking go!!

ReZero 2.0???

EcchiGodMamsterApr 14, 2022 6:29 PM
Apr 14, 2022 6:54 PM

Jul 2017
1st episode is so damn good, they adapted all 70 page from first chapter from the manga...
OP looks unique, especially at the end when Shinpei trigger the pistol ( lol ), there are some spoiler in OP about the future event i advise anime-only just skip that. Kansai dialect is hard to follow, thank goodness there already sub from fansub for this episode.
also if you guys watch carefully first episode you will know who already become shadow beside Mio.

This is solid first episode, next episode they probably adapt form chapter 2 - 5 based on the pace from first episode.
Apr 14, 2022 7:10 PM

Jul 2020
What an amazing start to what is sure to be one of the best anime of the year. I read the manga just before it finished and have been anticipating this greatly so getting to see the mystery unfold again with such beautiful animation is a complete treat. It is a little upsetting that this show will ultimately be overlooked by most people thanks to the ridiculous Disney jail and the wealth of hype shows this season, but at the very least those of us that do watch are in for a bloody amazing time. My only other concern is that the series does not end up being rushed to completion, though this first episode seemed to keep up a steady pace so hopefully things won't go downhill later on.
Apr 14, 2022 7:14 PM

Sep 2021
Really like the adaptation, of the anime, as a manga reader i obviously worried about the pacing but this chapter was great, the op really has a weird direction, and the ED is actually rl water so i imagine someone from Japón being recording the sea like, uh..

But well love this first episode
Apr 14, 2022 7:21 PM
Apr 2020
(I should preface this by saying that I do not have a very strong grasp of Japanese, but what little I do know combined with my recollection of the story was enough for me to somewhat comfortably follow along, though I'll rewatch the episode once subs are out.)

I read the manga as it was releasing, so my memory is a bit hazy, but I can't think of anything important that was left out. The adaptation itself was better than anyone could have hoped for (Mushoku Tensei and Sangatsu no Lion tier), and it's the best looking show of the year so far IMO.
I didn't really notice the music (outside of the chanting that sounded like the call of the witch), but I really liked the use of ambient noise to add to the atmosphere of scenes (like in the restaurant).

The voice actors for Shinpei and Mio both did great jobs for the first episode, though they should be able to flex their chops a lot more later on.

The music style of the OP really threw me for a loop considering the tone of the series, but I can say that I really like it. Visually, it seemed pretty abstract, and I didn't notice too much foreshadowing (which is nice for avoiding spoilers for non manga-readers). It seemed interesting, to say the least, and the ending with Shinpei shooting himself was absolutely gorgeous.

The ED's visuals were pretty straightforward, but the editing looked a bit goofy (especially with the tilting) but still overall good. I really liked the music, especially the two triplet measures and the vocal gliss.

Overall, this was a fantastic first episode, an easy 5/5.

While I don't remember it too well, I do remember the final twenty to thirty chapters dragging a bit, but trimming the final act might make the payoff feel a bit less satisfying. I would hope for every chapter to get adapted, but at the current pace, the show will end (optimistically) somewhere between chapters 75 and 85 (maybe 83?), which would still leave about 40 chapters (though many of them are very action heavy). (Off the top of my head, I can't think of a great place to end season one, since the mystery pretty much just keeps building till the climax. You should take all of this with a grain of salt though, since, as I said, I don't remember the series incredibly well.) To adapt everything, at least three cours would be ideal, so I really hope they don't try to cram everything into 25 episodes. If they do, I would prefer having the majority of the show be well-paced and the ending being either rushed or anime-original.
Apr 14, 2022 7:33 PM

Feb 2020
Strong start. I'm liking it so far. That last scene was intense
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 14, 2022 7:38 PM

Jan 2017
There's definitely gonna be some Japanese mythology mixed as the reasoning behind Shinpei's ability to go to the past. I loved this concept in Re:Zero and Steins;Gate so I'm completely on board for this one
Apr 14, 2022 7:50 PM

Dec 2019
I already know what's going to happen but man, the directing is so good. The storyboards were so well thought- out and atmosphere was on point. The op is awesome as well. My favorite op this year so far. The story fell off around the halfway mark in the manga but the first half had some of the best- presented mystery I've ever seen in animanga. I'll gladly stick around for how exhilerating it's going to be for the first half and the awesome directing.
Apr 14, 2022 7:54 PM
Nov 2020
One of those shows where it could be either amazing or terrible there's no in between. I'm hoping it's the former because I really enjoyed this episode.
Apr 14, 2022 8:02 PM

Mar 2010
Well wow. They are fighting shadows... Interesting and creepy start!!! Is Ushio's shadow trying to help them or was it ushio themselves.Wtf happened in the end. Did he travel back in time?
Apr 14, 2022 8:03 PM

May 2016
Was this similar to like a visual novel. it seems familiar but maybe it is just a "boat to island" type.
Apr 14, 2022 8:14 PM

Jan 2021
Was that so posed to be Mio’s shadow so this is a return by death situation huh there’s alot of mysteries
Apr 14, 2022 8:19 PM
Feb 2022
Stardew said:
Well wow. They are fighting shadows... Interesting and creepy start!!! Is Ushio's shadow trying to help them or was it ushio themselves.Wtf happened in the end. Did he travel back in time?

Minor spoiler
Apr 14, 2022 8:30 PM

Mar 2010
kurukuru_0 said:
Stardew said:

Minor spoiler

Will look forward to see it adapted!
Apr 14, 2022 8:31 PM

Jan 2020
Oh wow, so I'm assuming he is looping or something of the sort. Interesting premise so far and not a bad start

Opening and Ending are both noticeably unique and I like how they handled it. And visuals are of course pleasant too.

Apr 14, 2022 8:37 PM
Aug 2019
KinoKantRBD said:
my AOTS is here...

guess that's you from 9 lol....

funny how I just seen both your comments one right after the other on 2 different sites..
Apr 14, 2022 8:39 PM
Jul 2019
Ok this was a very pleasing suprise
Apr 14, 2022 8:40 PM
Jul 2019
Really looking forward to how they go about it from here.
Apr 14, 2022 8:57 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Yup, as expected, it's gonna be one of the highlights of Spring 2022 for me.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Apr 14, 2022 8:59 PM
Mar 2021
It so far reminds me of Re:Zero and Steins;Gate put together.

Interesting...
Apr 14, 2022 9:02 PM

Nov 2010
As far as having watched this episode, it seems the show is a decent mystery. But the last scene gives us the notion that time leap will be introduced. As time leap is one of too strong imaginary plot devices that involve contradiction, it's hard to finish a story logically. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the next episode so far.
Apr 14, 2022 9:11 PM

May 2021
This was a very fascinating start and I'm highly encouraged to continue watching. I just my anime by its opening and this opening was really interesting. This anime so far is giving off Shiki vibes with it's small town energy and our introduction to a pretty decently sized cast. There were so many revelations this episode that I'm interested in what the rest of the story is about, especially if this season will be covering 25 episodes.
Apr 14, 2022 9:19 PM
Apr 2020
Wow just wow... That was a TOTALLY INSANE end

I can already tell that the team behind on this, OLM Yoshioka (same as Komi Can't Communicate) will adapt this into a decent and possibly, one of the AOTS. I really like the animation especially on the designs of the characters, and especially the no BGM thingy.. It adds to the creepiness of the anime.

7/5 on the first ep. Can't wait of what will this RE ZERO 2.0 with some leveled up Twist after twist after twist and aftet twist anime will pull off lol
Apr 14, 2022 9:20 PM

Oct 2020
Damn, the starting was a bit slow but the shadow part made it interesting AF.
Apr 14, 2022 9:22 PM
Feb 2021
I had heard nothing about this show. I was blown away by the first episode. Definitely a shade of Higurashi, with a touch of Shiki and a sprinkle of Another. This is definitely one of the surprise of the spring season.
Apr 14, 2022 9:56 PM
Dec 2021
This is quite similar to higurashi
Apr 14, 2022 10:01 PM

Mar 2020
OK this is really interesting for this spring season. I love it. the animation is really great. I love the story so far.

The OP & ED visuals is unique. The opening is great. It's Macaroni Empitsu you know!!!

OLM really did a great job.

Looking forward next week!!
Zorosuke_Apr 14, 2022 10:04 PM
Oppai check!

111 cm: Hancock
110 cm: Zoro
100 cm: Robin
Apr 14, 2022 10:33 PM

Apr 2021
ohhhh... last 30-45 sec was mind-blowing... not anything new, but brutal. and that's very fun to watch

Fall 2022 is the most Unforgettable anime season of all time

Apr 14, 2022 10:49 PM
Oct 2021
That was super strange yet solid beginning for an anime. Have high hopes for this one here!
Apr 14, 2022 10:52 PM

Nov 2010
Interesting start, but so far nothing we haven't seen before.
Mystery on a small remote island, a lot of death, some kind of dark secret and the rewind mechanic.
I hope the show differentiates itself from the, so far, paint by the numbers for a mystery show premise.
Apr 14, 2022 11:09 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
So it looks like the island's based off of a real place. Nice

First impressions, this is going to be a thrilling ride, definitely for the first few episodes at least. I hope it manages to utilize its full potential and pull off a continuously mysterious and riveting experience throughout, but that of course is still up in the air of whether or not it will be able to do so. May this at least not fall completely on its face by the end, which I don't think it will, it looks super promising. I'll be trying to avoid what the manga readers think about this, whether it gets better or worse later on. Best to go in with a fully open mind I'd say. Fingers crossed that it stays this good, if not gets even better.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Apr 14, 2022 11:10 PM

Apr 2021
Decent animation quality, so far so good. Loved the boat scene btw

(〜 ̄▽ ̄)〜

Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Summertime Render Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2022

472 by UltraMonkeyX »»
May 7, 7:53 AM

Poll: » Summertime Render Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 28, 2022

144 by RGreatDanton »»
May 1, 12:55 PM

Poll: » Summertime Render Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 21, 2022

193 by RGreatDanton »»
May 1, 12:41 PM

» [Spoilers] So how did Ushio get... ?

SabreDrago - Sep 23, 2022

25 by Cyrose »»
Apr 23, 7:09 AM

» Ushiro and Shinpei

janayoo - Apr 5

10 by aniart_nation »»
Apr 10, 5:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.