Forum Settings
Forums
New
Which is better in your opinion
Apr 2, 2022 9:30 PM
Feb 2022
Do you prefer the Akira movie or manga?

Personally I prefer the manga because it has a lot more time to develop the characters and
and a lot more stuff happens that makes you very engrossed in the series
Apr 2, 2022 9:42 PM

May 2020
the movie is amazing and i personally I feel like it's better than the manga because of the incredible animation and voice acting

Apr 2, 2022 9:59 PM
Jun 2021
Movie is very average imo. Very important aspects such as the psychic powers of the Children are hardly explained, as well as their background, which makes the plot kinda confusing. Whereas in the Manga, everything is explained in great detail, making it much more enjoyable.
Apr 2, 2022 11:56 PM
Aug 2021
The movie feels rushed and tells the story in a very messy way. The manga builds up the characters a lot better and feels more like a complete story rather than little fragments of the story thrown together like the movie did.
Apr 3, 2022 12:01 AM
Aug 2021
I didn't really like the movie, I found it boring because I had no clue what was going on. I haven't read the manga yet but I'm pretty sure the whole plot is explained way better in it.
Apr 3, 2022 12:05 AM

Sep 2018
I think both are great, I feel like the movie is a great way to get introduced to Akira, and then read the full story in the manga, kind of like a demo. Though, yes, I do prefer the manga but I can’t help but love the movie just for visuals alone.
Apr 3, 2022 6:24 AM
Apr 2021
They both have their respective strengths. The manga gave more backstory to the characters and fleshed them out a lot more. It gave more purpose to some characters who were under used in the movie.
But to me, the manga felt a little drawn out towards the ending.

The movie's major strength in my opinion was it's animation and huge action set pieces. Also, because I spent less time finishing the movie than I did the manga, the rush of adrenaline and excitement never really died down from start to finish... unlike in my experience with the manga.
But, due to its limited run time, many characters were under used and some things didn't really make sense to me till I read wikis and watched commentary videos on it.

In my opinion, enjoy both if you have time to read the whole manga cuz it is pretty long.
If you don't have the time, just watch the movie. To a very good extent, I feel you'll be more than satisfied.
Apr 3, 2022 10:10 AM
Apr 2021
Both are really amazing unique experiences that you should most definitely have, but I recently reread the manga and holy crap it’s so good. I gotta say the manga is better it’s such a crazy story, I say read the manga then watch the movie.
Apr 3, 2022 4:06 PM
Jan 2014
I appreciate the movie for its quality animation, but it’s half the story it’s supposed to be. Anyone that’s into Akira should absolutely read the manga, it’s a blast and does some pretty cool world building. I own the books and push them onto anyone that hasn’t read them yet.
Apr 6, 2022 6:03 AM

Dec 2015
Movie is obviously incredible, but all the detail in the manga feels essential for a full experience of the story.
Apr 6, 2022 8:24 AM
Sep 2021
The movie is an absolute masterpiece.

Apr 14, 2022 4:32 PM
Feb 2019
Movie mostly because of its phenomenal aesthetic of chaos and destruction. Somehow portrays the act with a sense of beauty. Can’t really care about character development when Akira is mostly a vibe
May 25, 2022 2:15 PM
Mar 2022
This is a very hard choice, but the manga is definitely needed to get the full story. The movie has absolutely incredible art and voice acting, but it feels rushed and hard to understand without the manga. A reason i personally enjoy the manga more is because (spoiler) akira is actually in it and i <3 him.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Akira Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Friendlysoul - Apr 12, 2008

221 by Kirito-and-me »»
May 31, 8:07 AM

» Am i the only one who think that akira is a bad movie? ( 1 2 )

Harley3579 - May 14, 2019

62 by Absurdo_N »»
May 16, 6:39 PM

» Akira is not cyberpunk, it's just a paranormal genre ( 1 2 )

TheRedComment - Jan 22

51 by Zarutaku »»
Apr 27, 5:11 AM

» Ending interpretation

Fukoku - Apr 13

0 by Fukoku »»
Apr 13, 11:25 AM

» Tropes created in Akira

curvedtree - Dec 22, 2023

4 by -DxP- »»
Dec 23, 2023 3:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.