Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 31, 2022 11:21 AM
Jun 2021
One punch man is a series that's very special to my heart, as much as i enjoy it, i really can't get a hold on the inner plot, on surface it seems as Heroes vs Villains, but I've watched much videos regarding it, i can't get it
Mar 31, 2022 11:37 AM
Jun 2021
well i know it's a gag manga, but as I've seen, the videos speculate the inner plot, analysis of Saitama's character etc, i wanna know your opinions
Mar 31, 2022 12:28 PM

Mar 2017
kingsley_017 said:
One punch man is a series that's very special to my heart, as much as i enjoy it, i really can't get a hold on the inner plot, on surface it seems as Heroes vs Villains, but I've watched much videos regarding it, i can't get it

One Punch Man is a story about a Man who, here is the twist, defeats everyone with One Punch.

I mean jokes aside, there is not much more to it if you read the manga or are an anime only, you can understand the main premiss is to joke with the genre and its tropes. It is true that, in the manga, the whole show gains an objective and a plot so to speak (not gonna spoil), but in itself is not an amazing one.

The thing about One Punch Man and many other shows in the same genre, is that they don't have to have a strong plot or development since it's not why you are probably / should be watching them in the first place, but for the entertainment and excitement of fights, moments, characters, etc..

The proff is that the main premiss is so lackcluster that they had to focus mainly on other characters, like Garo and Genos, to have episodes exciting to watch, since the joke and anticlimatic fun of Saitama defeating badass-looking villains runs out really fast
Mar 31, 2022 12:36 PM

Jan 2009
i see it like being on the top of the pecking order is lonely and everybody wants to dethrone you like Sonic wants to defeat Saitama repeatedly

its darwinism or competition at its finest especially how heroes want all to climb the S-Class rank
Mar 31, 2022 2:49 PM
Dec 2020
It’s a bit of a satire of the shonen demographic. It takes a lot of the central shonen aspects and mixes them up with one thing: Saitama. If he wasn’t in the series, it would be a regular shonen. It’s not a joke manga, it’s a satire. There’s a subtle but important difference (satire can be serious; OPM is usually serious).
Mar 31, 2022 2:59 PM

Mar 2011
The series is satire. Extremely well-written satire. But still satire. Don't think too hard about it.
Mar 31, 2022 3:12 PM
Mar 2022
all i know is that even though season 2 isnt as high stakes, it really elevates what a HERO is in their world. metal bat is one of my all time fav characters now, where if we were to judge strictly off his first appearance, ppl might think hes a satirical gimmick.

saitama really lifts up and elevates the heroing world every episode, usually indirectly. i would say the inner plot is how the lonely superhero touches and inspires everyone around him to be better, work harder and be a real hero.

idk i love this damn show
Mar 31, 2022 6:15 PM
Feb 2021
Many argue that Saitama is a "flat" character, that he only exists to be a parody and nothing else. When someone (from both: real life and in the OPM universe) sees Saitama, they think: “there’s nothing special about him, he is just a strange guy who cares about the supermarket sales and cares about living his daily life”, but there’s much more than that:

Saitama does not want to "lose" or does not want to "die or being killed". Little by little, his way of thinking is revealed in some OVAS and the extra chapters of Manga.

Saitama is not a bad person, and he wants to help others, but the real reason he is a hero was because of the excitement and adrenaline of being able to do "the only thing he is good at."

It is as if Saitama would be sedated / anesthetized, he still hasn’t managed to awaken the emotion in him again, and in order to remove his limiter it had 2 consequences: 1.- Go bald 2.- All his emotion: Saitama feels alienated or excluded from society, Saitama makes it clear in the Manga that when he was a child he felt that he did not fit into society. And by saving the boy with the big chin, he was able to understand his "purpose", although he still doesn't really understand what "being a hero" is.

So King gives arguments to Saitama, that "You are the most powerful hero of all, BUT you are NOT the best hero, aspire to be one."

OPM is a masterpiece because from the very beginning he is ALREADY the strongest. His goal is to discover HOW he can be a better hero and how Saitama is changing the world and the lives of people who get to know him consciously or unconsciously. Also, it’s interesting that Saitama wants the recognition from other people for the work he does, but he always decides to do the right thing and even accepts life's injustices and takes them in a normal way.

Imagine that you are in a super fun video game, but you have a hack that you cannot control and you kill everyone with 1 single click. If you ever meet 1 opponent that lasts a real battle, your love for the game will return.

In many series or movies, we already know that the good guy wins in the end. Here at OPM we know from the start that he is going to win the physical battle, but not the other battles.

For Saitama, winning is losing or at least having a worthy battle, this is when we don't know how the franchise will end
Mar 31, 2022 9:33 PM
Feb 2022
there's a guy the monsters call God. who gave them there powers
Mar 31, 2022 11:42 PM
Dec 2020
short answer is first quest, help child get home, final quest, fight God.
Read my name and think I care.
Apr 1, 2022 12:15 AM
Jul 2020
I would recommend you watch Super Eyepatch wolfs video for it
https://youtu.be/GHbVngOR06E
Apr 1, 2022 7:19 AM

Sep 2020
Synopsis-:
A bald headed dude punches half a crab in the head
Apr 1, 2022 2:44 PM
Feb 2021
kingsley_017 said:
well i know it's a gag manga, but as I've seen, the videos speculate the inner plot, analysis of Saitama's character etc, i wanna know your opinions

OPM isn’t a gag manga. Also there’s no “inner plot.” with the series, but there are some very strong themes in the show and manga, surprisingly.

More topics from this board

Poll: » should one punch man be called battle seinen?

deg - May 16

24 by phantom346 »»
Yesterday, 12:46 PM

Poll: » One Punch Man Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 25, 2015

338 by FedeMetal »»
May 20, 6:30 PM

» serious question

elitebeef - May 5

45 by RickyHunt »»
May 20, 8:52 AM

Poll: » One Punch Man Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2015

987 by RGreatDanton »»
May 13, 3:04 PM

Poll: » One Punch Man Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 6, 2015

792 by jacjacqjac »»
May 12, 1:32 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.