Forum Settings
Forums
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 27, 2022 6:18 AM
Jun 2021
While reading the light novel (English ver. Translated by Kevin, yen press), I see that Tempest administration (and even Mr. Tempest) frequently use imperial units of measurements like Fahrenheit and Miles (e.g. in Vol.7,
). I assumed that since Rimuru was from modern day Japan in his previous life he would use metric (SI) units. Is there any reason Rimuru is not using SI units? (At one point in some previous volume, he describes Hellflare temperature in Fahrenheit).
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 27, 2022 9:09 AM

Jan 2017
AK-TheQuark said:
I assumed that since Rimuru was from modern day Japan in his previous life he would use metric (SI) units. Is there any reason Rimuru is not using SI units?

Maybe it's due to the translation by Yen Press , to makes it easier for the English readers.
The fan translation says this in Volume 7 :
By the way, the units of measurement in this world is different from his original world. Yet Rimuru has ignored that in order to mark the road in ways easily understood by himself.

Kilometer is set by pegging the average travel distance with the estimate of an hour’s walking to cover five kilometers. Thus, the reason why the inns are prepared one every forty kilometers due to the assumption that travelers can move eight hours a day on foot. Since horse carriages move at around the same speed as those on foot, they would also be able to rest at inns if they slow down a little. The whole trip was thoroughly planned out and thought through with very clear intent.
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Nov 3, 2023 5:40 AM
Nov 2023
Reply to Alexioos95
AK-TheQuark said:
I assumed that since Rimuru was from modern day Japan in his previous life he would use metric (SI) units. Is there any reason Rimuru is not using SI units?

Maybe it's due to the translation by Yen Press , to makes it easier for the English readers.
The fan translation says this in Volume 7 :
By the way, the units of measurement in this world is different from his original world. Yet Rimuru has ignored that in order to mark the road in ways easily understood by himself.

Kilometer is set by pegging the average travel distance with the estimate of an hour’s walking to cover five kilometers. Thus, the reason why the inns are prepared one every forty kilometers due to the assumption that travelers can move eight hours a day on foot. Since horse carriages move at around the same speed as those on foot, they would also be able to rest at inns if they slow down a little. The whole trip was thoroughly planned out and thought through with very clear intent.
It's so interesting how Rimuru adapted to the different units of measurement in his new world. Kilometers and inns every forty kilometers make total sense for travelers on foot. I mean, who wouldn't want a comfy place to rest after an eight-hour journey? And don't forget about those horse carriages, they can use those inns too if they slow down a bit. It's like an online ruler for measuring the road and planning the trip! Such a cool way to make things easily understandable.
GarrypytonNov 3, 2023 6:31 AM

More topics from this board

» WN readers help!

Chanki_33 - Sep 17, 2023

6 by kasra2494 »»
Sep 18, 2023 1:05 PM

Poll: » Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken Volume 1 Discussion

Stark700 - May 27, 2015

7 by removed-user »»
Jun 22, 2023 7:03 AM

Poll: » Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken Volume 15 Discussion

AngelofFrost - Mar 31, 2021

5 by Evilhunger »»
Jan 20, 2023 11:58 PM

» Is this in first person or third person?

Cneq - Nov 27, 2022

1 by ChouunShiryuu »»
Nov 27, 2022 6:25 AM

Poll: » Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken Volume 13 Discussion

AngelofFrost - Mar 31, 2021

6 by Rubrick25 »»
Apr 12, 2022 10:09 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.