Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 22, 2022 6:10 PM

Apr 2015
I, like many other people, don't have this show at a very high rating personally.

But with mental health all across the news recently, I gave it another go and I genuinely believe this show could be a metaphor for bipolar disorder, specifically in the case of Lucy. People with this diagnosis have violent mood swings and are generally considered unstable (like Dyclonius) and, throughout the show, it's abundantly clear that she (not Nyuu) generally just wants to protect herself. When the other Dyclonius are introduced, she becomes extremely uncomfortable and dislikes them, which could almost be due to the fact that she sees a mirrored image of herself and becomes uncomfortable - a very common sign of mental illness. In general, as someone who has known people with this disorder, Lucy/Nyuu exhibit very similar traits to people with BPD.

Now obviously the subplot with her amnesia and forgetting about Kota is cheesy as hell, but I think there are some really brilliant themes hidden here. Thoughts on this?
It's time you look inward and begin asking yourself the big question, "Who are you, and what do you want?" - Uncle Iroh
Mar 22, 2022 6:19 PM
Feb 2021
I’d say it’s more of a split personality since that do act quite differently from one another
Mar 22, 2022 6:26 PM
Aug 2014
I’m a big fan of Elfen Lied but the anime is an incomplete adaptation with an anime original ending. I hope and dream that it’ll get the brotherhood treatment someday and get a real full adaptation that follows the manga all the way through. Your interpretation of what that story is trying to say is not a bad one but Elfen Lied is mainly a metaphor about race, racism, and discrimination. The struggles and adversity of being different than others. I think you can make a connection with that and the stigma of mental health problems.
Mar 22, 2022 6:27 PM
Mar 2022
Decent show. Bit of a heartthrob show but it’s something that always is gonna mean something personally to me. I definitely thought it was more about the dyclonises getting cast away and ethically if it was right or not despite there powers. The song Lillium though is inherently tied to what the series Is about, and that’s mostly all I have to say.
Mar 22, 2022 6:30 PM

Apr 2015
jdlg782 said:
Decent show. Bit of a heartthrob show but it’s something that always is gonna mean something personally to me. I definitely thought it was more about the dyclonises getting cast away and ethically if it was right or not despite there powers. The song Lillium though is inherently tied to what the series Is about, and that’s mostly all I have to say.

Yeah, that's a solid take. I think that with all the flaws considered, the opening theme is probably the best thing about the show.
It's time you look inward and begin asking yourself the big question, "Who are you, and what do you want?" - Uncle Iroh
Mar 22, 2022 11:12 PM

Jul 2015
Dicloni are compelled to murder humans due to their very instinct. Inner voice in their head (DNA voice, which was represented by that bandage wrapped figure) literally compels them to kill humans.
Not sure if that can be considered a mental illness, because that's literally a common Dicloni trait.
Obviously, this instinct can be suppressed with kindness to some extent or as with Nana's example - entirely.

Lucy has split personality, not BPD.
Lucy us downright psychopath, who enjoys killing humans.
Kaede is a regular dicloni, who kills due to her instinct.
Nyuu is harmless child.

Those three personalities are consistent whenever they are being manifested.
All of them love Kouta. Lucy even tries to control her urges, to no avail.

Damn, this needs a remake.

Mar 23, 2022 1:08 AM
Apr 2020
Piromysl said:
Dicloni are compelled to murder humans due to their very instinct. Inner voice in their head (DNA voice, which was represented by that bandage wrapped figure) literally compels them to kill humans.
Not sure if that can be considered a mental illness, because that's literally a common Dicloni trait.
Obviously, this instinct can be suppressed with kindness to some extent or as with Nana's example - entirely.

Nyuu is harmless child.

This is it mate's
I would add also that the Anime presents the true nature of the human being also in the Form of the humans and what they do to these so called test subjects like girls

Overall a great anime, I miss the darker tunes of older animes like this one
Mar 23, 2022 6:23 AM
Mar 2022
Piromysl said:

Nyuu is harmless child.

That’s true but a lot of that is still up for debate due to the examples shown of Lucy’s kind killing humans. In almost every single example except one each dycloni are provoked before they unleash their vectors. But #35 is an absolute monster who is only made to kill humans agreed on that. Lucy too
Mar 23, 2022 6:27 AM

Jul 2015
Philleotardo1954 said:
Piromysl said:

Nyuu is harmless child.

That’s true but a lot of that is still up for debate due to the examples shown of Lucy’s kind killing humans. In almost every single example except one each dycloni are provoked before they unleash their vectors. But #35 is an absolute monster who is only made to kill humans agreed on that. Lucy too

No, Kaede was murdering entire families just so she could use their houses as a temporary shelter.
It was even in anime and those murders were completely unprovoked and this was happening before Kouta's "betrayal".

Mar 23, 2022 8:41 AM
Mar 2022
Wasn’t that Lucy though
Mar 23, 2022 10:54 AM

Feb 2021
more so a split personality
Mar 23, 2022 4:27 PM

Mar 2019
Mar 24, 2022 8:11 AM
Mar 2022
I dated a bipolar person once, and I can 100% relate to the sudden personality changes where you're loved, and the next hour you're hated to a terrible degree, and elfen lied sure brought some of those memories back, but bipolar disorders can variate a lot and are not specifically that way, they may share some similarities still.
Mar 24, 2022 3:18 PM
Dec 2020
i get where you are coming from but it's Split personality disorder, BPD is not the same as SPD i don't get why people get them confused
Mar 25, 2022 8:01 PM

Oct 2020
split personality is more like it.
at least thats the way i see it.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

then - Dec 4, 2007

430 by KeepCalmAndMal »»
May 10, 7:04 PM

» How is this still rated 7.5?

Dirittoprocedura - Apr 29

25 by Phloup »»
Apr 29, 2:28 PM

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Chelle - Aug 21, 2007

199 by vikivill »»
Apr 1, 1:49 PM

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

then - Nov 30, 2007

105 by GarlicDead »»
Mar 31, 5:08 PM

Poll: » Elfen Lied Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

then - Dec 4, 2007

111 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Mar 11, 11:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.