Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 18, 2022 3:14 PM
Feb 2021
If Archer and Emiya are technically the same person and Archer failed in killing his past self thus meaning he could not be free, and Emiya's ideals at the end never changed was that guy at the end Emiya in the future as Archer back in that desert? ( Is being in that desert not a bad thing?)

Also can someone just explain what that desert actually is just in a bit more detail as I did not fully grasp the concept behind it.
Feb 18, 2022 3:28 PM

Jan 2022
I thought most the ending sucked ass tbh. The final battle seemed like a parody of generic anime

The build up was cool and all but the end parts made no sense or seemed out of nowhere

I really wanted to enjoy it but I have similar feeling that it didn’t make much sense
Feb 18, 2022 3:36 PM
Jan 2021
Watashi35 said:
I thought most the ending sucked ass tbh. The final battle seemed like a parody of generic anime

The build up was cool and all but the end parts made no sense or seemed out of nowhere

I really wanted to enjoy it but I have similar feeling that it didn’t make much sense

No offence, but this has nothing to do with what he asked. Not very helpful.
Feb 18, 2022 3:46 PM

Jan 2022
Oremonogatari said:
Watashi35 said:

Archer/Emiya and the desert with UBW are very central to the conclusion. Though perhaps I should have specified more specifically what went wrong.

The desert was supposed to represent some place Archer was summoned to act as a guardian to eliminate criminals and symbolize the endless warfare (UNLIMITED blade works). In spite of seeing how hopeless and empty his future could become, Emiya decides to fight anyway and not give up, keeping his ideals.

But they screwed up the conclusion badly and made the development of Emiya nonexistent by giving him Deus Ex Machina powers to win everything with no trouble and appear superior to his future self and other OP servants.

And the philosophy was both vague and butchered entirely with the significance of the events, hence OPs confusion.
Feb 18, 2022 4:05 PM
Oct 2020
Watashi35 said:
Oremonogatari said:

Archer/Emiya and the desert with UBW are very central to the conclusion. Though perhaps I should have specified more specifically what went wrong.

The desert was supposed to represent some place Archer was summoned to act as a guardian to eliminate criminals and symbolize the endless warfare (UNLIMITED blade works). In spite of seeing how hopeless and empty his future could become, Emiya decides to fight anyway and not give up, keeping his ideals.

But they screwed up the conclusion badly and made the development of Emiya nonexistent by giving him Deus Ex Machina powers to win everything with no trouble and appear superior to his future self and other OP servants.

And the philosophy was both vague and butchered entirely with the significance of the events, hence OPs confusion.

They explained that every time he clashes swords with his future self, some of his skills/body memory returns. It’s why he’s able to get better exponentially as he battles himself. And how he can learn skills and abilities only his future self knows.

The mechanic is pretty cool actually, and it makes sense the way they explained it.
Feb 18, 2022 4:33 PM

Jan 2022
Mq84jdk said:
Watashi35 said:

They explained that every time he clashes swords with his future self, some of his skills/body memory returns. It’s why he’s able to get better exponentially as he battles himself. And how he can learn skills and abilities only his future self knows.

The mechanic is pretty cool actually, and it makes sense the way they explained it.

Maybe I was just being too elitist and thought it all seemed rushed and underdeveloped for viewers.
Watashi35Feb 18, 2022 4:44 PM
Feb 18, 2022 4:42 PM

Aug 2020
Watashi35 said:
Oremonogatari said:

You don't know what you're talking about and you're appending meaning to parts which are completely unlinked.

OP, if I understood right you're thinking of that desert the final scene takes place in. This is a human Shirou traversing an area which we can safely assume (via outside sources) archer had also been in before, during his time as a human. What the moment is supposed to represent is that Shirou is on the same trajectory as archer, but as archer said in the little soliloquy before, "[he] was not wrong" (in pursuing his dream) and UBW Shirou, with the knowledge of what archer goes through, will avoid making the same mistake which turned archer into the jaded regretful person that he is.

From Nasu's blog there is this draft of the scene which didn't end up making the cut:
"After the end credits. A desert scene, same as the opening. Shirou walks alone. His strength falters and he stops walking. Shirou looks down to shield his eyes from the sandstorm, and sees traces of someone else having been there (the place where Archer stopped). Shirou breathes out and looks up. There's fake endurance in his expression, but it's full of hope. Shirou walks away with a steady gait. The camera lingers on the traces of Archer's presence, and watches Shirou leave as the shot ends."

If my memory is correct, there is also a little note about archer watching him without any contempt or malice in his face implying he now only feels pride in their ideal.
Feb 18, 2022 4:46 PM

Jan 2022
offcrack said:
Watashi35 said:

You don't know what you're talking about and you're appending meaning to parts which are completely unlinked.

OP, if I understood right you're thinking of that desert the final scene takes place in. This is a human Shirou traversing an area which we can safely assume (via outside sources) archer had also been in before, during his time as a human. What the moment is supposed to represent is that Shirou is on the same trajectory as archer, but as archer said in the little soliloquy before, "[he] was not wrong" (in pursuing his dream) and UBW Shirou, with the knowledge of what archer goes through, will avoid making the same mistake which turned archer into the jaded regretful person that he is.

From Nasu's blog there is this draft of the scene which didn't end up making the cut:
"After the end credits. A desert scene, same as the opening. Shirou walks alone. His strength falters and he stops walking. Shirou looks down to shield his eyes from the sandstorm, and sees traces of someone else having been there (the place where Archer stopped). Shirou breathes out and looks up. There's fake endurance in his expression, but it's full of hope. Shirou walks away with a steady gait. The camera lingers on the traces of Archer's presence, and watches Shirou leave as the shot ends."

If my memory is correct, there is also a little note about archer watching him without any contempt or malice in his face implying he now only feels pride in their ideal.

Well, that’s a much better explanation than mine. Guess I was in the wrong and interpreted the series incorrectly. Maybe I should rewatch it eventually and reevaluate
Feb 18, 2022 4:48 PM
Jan 2021
It is Shirou following the same path as EMIYA since he still believes in the ideals of being a hero of justice or whatever he calls it. The difference is that instead of blindly following his dad's ideals and feeling betrayed by them like EMIYA, Shirou comes to grips with them and understands there will never be the peace he wants but is content fighting on anyway. He walks past EMIYA's footsteps and is forging his own route now.

I'm pretty sure the desert is just the middle east where he helps fight for justice along his path. Maybe that's wrong and it's just a symbolic area since EMIYA is Shirou from a different universe idk.
Feb 18, 2022 4:57 PM

Aug 2020
Watashi35 said:
offcrack said:

Well, that’s a much better explanation than mine. Guess I was in the wrong and interpreted the series incorrectly. Maybe I should rewatch it eventually and reevaluate

FYI visual novel clears up most confusion about interpretation, the ufotable anime relies a lot more on subtle visual cues which are easy to miss unless you're already familiar with the source material which leads to the point being so easily missed in a lot of parts
Feb 18, 2022 5:09 PM
Nov 2020
1. Archer and Emiya are the same person, but they are from different timelines so they aren’t exactly the same. Emiya’s ideology doesn’t change but his way of following through his ideology changes, because of his battle with Archer.

2. The dessert is his Noble Phantasm( which is a reality marble). The reality marble is apart of the servants story because it’s what they went through, it’s what they seen. Not all servants have a reality marble, its a low number of servants because it requires a strong tie them. The dessert represents Archers constant fighting trying to stop bad people, but in terms creating more bad people, and the swords represent every person he has killed and his own death.

3. Archers(Emiya) his ideology was to kill bad people to make the world better, but he was never able to see that because it was an endless loop ideology. Hence the reason he wants to stop Emiya because it’s an painful endless loop.
Feb 18, 2022 5:26 PM

Jan 2022
offcrack said:
Watashi35 said:

FYI visual novel clears up most confusion about interpretation, the ufotable anime relies a lot more on subtle visual cues which are easy to miss unless you're already familiar with the source material which leads to the point being so easily missed in a lot of parts

Maybe that’s what happened, adapting visual novels usually leads to more changes or ambiguity than mangas. I plan on watching some other versions of Stay/Night anyway to hopefully understand a bit more

I love the concept of Fate and there are interesting characters but for some reason UBW didn’t click. Perhaps I didn’t understand it much. Hyped to watch the Heaven’s Feel though
Feb 18, 2022 11:46 PM

Jan 2021
Watashi35 said:
Oremonogatari said:

So I read through your other replies and it seems to me that your biggest and probably sole gripe with the ending was Shirou being cracked as hell?

I mean I sort of get it, but you're underestimating the scope of the paradox at play here. Archer killing Shirou would've been sufficient to erase a Counter Guardian from existence; heroes beyond time. Shirou clashing with his older self's mana (Since Servants themselves are a mass of mana) and letting it flow into him is bound to do what it did. He was essentially absorbing a servant's skills and experiences. Both Shirou and Archer, in that instance, were experiencing each other's memories, further leading Shirou to pick up projections like Rho Aias.
When all is said and done, Shirou's strength still wasn't nearly enough to take on a servant at full power. Both Archer and Gilgamesh could've taken him down. However, Archer couldn't kill him because he finally remembered his promise to Kiritsugu and how much it had meant to him; something he'd forgotten over time. Gilgamesh got killed because of his ego. He could've destroyed Shirou twice over with Ea and Enkidu, but since he has a policy to use them exclusively on people he deems worthy, he underestimated the reality marble's abilities and got cucked.

Even though he did absorb a servant's abilities to get cracked, there wasn't anything 'Deus ex machina'-istic about it. Both the servants he defeated essentially allowed Shirou to cut them down. Either because of an epiphany, or just plain old hubris.

Your interpretation of the desert scene was pretty much spot on, except Shirou WON'T be going down Archer's path in any case. The final parallel was supposed to symbolise Shirou moving past Archer's end and forging his own destiny.
certifiedbingerFeb 18, 2022 11:58 PM
Feb 19, 2022 12:37 AM

Mar 2020
Destiny100 said:
If Archer and Emiya are technically the same person and Archer failed in killing his past self thus meaning he could not be free, and Emiya's ideals at the end never changed was that guy at the end Emiya in the future as Archer back in that desert? ( Is being in that desert not a bad thing?)

Also can someone just explain what that desert actually is just in a bit more detail as I did not fully grasp the concept behind it.

They do not end up becoming the same person, while Shirou never gives up on his ideals, he focuses on the idea that being a Hero of Justice is more about the journey, so he won't make the mistakes Archer did.

The desert is either Unlimited Blade Works, Archer's reality marble (his hyper distorted view of the world manifested as a noble phantasm) or just a random desert he goes to as a Counter-Guardian

Feb 19, 2022 4:10 AM
Mar 2017
Mq84jdk said:
Watashi35 said:

You see there's kinda a issue I have with that. Originally I would have liked to assume that's not how time works and that killing Emiya wouldn't change his future because it just a different version of him from the past. Leaching skill from him everytime he clashes with him? I'm sure that's a translation error since if he got better his future self should have stacked up with him. But he kept improving even when fighting other people. Also it's explained through his thoughts, I would say it would be very reliable information, since after the fact he doesn't have ability like that at all and didn't have it prior.
Feb 19, 2022 4:39 AM

Jan 2022
certifiedbinger said:
Watashi35 said:

So I read through your other replies and it seems to me that your biggest and probably sole gripe with the ending was Shirou being cracked as hell?

I mean I sort of get it, but you're underestimating the scope of the paradox at play here. Archer killing Shirou would've been sufficient to erase a Counter Guardian from existence; heroes beyond time. Shirou clashing with his older self's mana (Since Servants themselves are a mass of mana) and letting it flow into him is bound to do what it did. He was essentially absorbing a servant's skills and experiences. Both Shirou and Archer, in that instance, were experiencing each other's memories, further leading Shirou to pick up projections like Rho Aias.
When all is said and done, Shirou's strength still wasn't nearly enough to take on a servant at full power. Both Archer and Gilgamesh could've taken him down. However, Archer couldn't kill him because he finally remembered his promise to Kiritsugu and how much it had meant to him; something he'd forgotten over time. Gilgamesh got killed because of his ego. He could've destroyed Shirou twice over with Ea and Enkidu, but since he has a policy to use them exclusively on people he deems worthy, he underestimated the reality marble's abilities and got cucked.

Even though he did absorb a servant's abilities to get cracked, there wasn't anything 'Deus ex machina'-istic about it. Both the servants he defeated essentially allowed Shirou to cut them down. Either because of an epiphany, or just plain old hubris.

Your interpretation of the desert scene was pretty much spot on, except Shirou WON'T be going down Archer's path in any case. The final parallel was supposed to symbolise Shirou moving past Archer's end and forging his own destiny.

I guess I can understand a narrative reason for Emiya winning the servant fights, but it still seemed too convenient, as if he were just handed victory. I didn’t get why Gilgamesh was being such a dumbass when he curb-stomped multiple overpowered masters before.

He certainly is prideful, but it still feells as if the servants Emiya fought against were written to make silly errors so that he would win.

But what made me roll my eyes even more was Archer’s return. He appeared to be dead and disappeared and then suddenly he came back to save them, ruining the narrative significance and finality of the battle. In the previous series, the winner didn't have such a simple time with the holy grail war, without giving away spoilers. Here it felt like the conclusion was just Emiya being very lucky with no struggle. Though maybe this is a personal gripe, I wanted to see the protagonist really be challenged more

Maybe the visual novel clears it up or something
Watashi35Feb 19, 2022 5:05 AM
Feb 19, 2022 5:14 AM

Jan 2021
Watashi35 said:

I didn’t get why Gilgamesh was being such a dumbass when he curb-stomped multiple overpowered masters before. He certainly is prideful, but it still feells as if the servants Emiya fought against were written to make silly errors so that he would win.

I think Gilgamesh made his mentality pretty clear even back in Zero. He prizes nobility and class and looks down at the ones who go against his image of them. The 'Faker' element was stressed a LOT for this exact same reason in both the Visual Novel and the Anime.
Gilgamesh underestimated Shirou even more than he normally would have because he considers him to be an inferior replica of his abilities. Completely consistent with his character if you ask me.
Archer didn't make any errors in his fight as far as I could tell. Just like Shirou absorbed his memories, Archer absorbed back his own. They're essentially the same person, but with Archer having forgotten why he wanted to chase Kiritsugu's dream in the first place. He saw the living embodiment of his newly recalled dream in Shirou and thus, couldn't cut him down. I don't consider that a 'mistake' per se, apropos to Archer's final words in the show, 'I was not wrong'.
And you might be forgetting the number of Ls Shirou took before the actual ending. He got thoroughly rolled by every servant he met in every single route. Berserker, Rider, Caster- all those interactions ended with Shirou nearly dying. That contradicts your last sentence.

Watashi35 said:

But what made me roll my eyes even more was Archer’s return. He appeared to be dead and disappeared and then suddenly he came back to save them, ruining the narrative significance and finality of the battle.

Touché. While it cheapened the impact a fair bit, Archer's previous death was very anti-climactic for a major character if you ask me. Besides, him popping back up and his final conversation with Rin was essential to let us know where things would go once Shirou decided to pursue his ideal. Unlike Archer, he'd have Rin who wouldn't let him end up like his future self. The final epilogue in London never happened in the Visual Novel. Instead, it ended with the classroom scene and a poem that implied Shirou would end up returning back home to Rin, instead of following in Archer's footsteps.

Watashi35 said:

In the previous series, the winner had to sacrifice so much to win the holy grail war. Here it felt like the conclusion was just Emiya being very lucky with no struggle. Though maybe this is a personal gripe, I wanted to see the protagonist really be challenged more

This is exactly where Fate's year old 'Watch Order' dilemma comes in, and why the community is SO torn on it.
Now look at it with this perspective. You start the show with Staynight characters and plot. From the first two routes, you just know Kiritsugu as this adoptive father who inexplicably destroyed the previous grail. You finally get to know 'Why?' in Heaven's Feel (already shown in Zero).
And THEN Zero came out as a prequel and detailed the entire events of Kiritsugu's dilemma and his character.
This is the actual release order of the Visual Novel and Light Novels.

The thing is, people who start with Zero base their expectations for Staynight according to the prequel. When it is actually supposed to be the other way around, since their tone is completely different.
certifiedbingerFeb 19, 2022 5:28 AM
Feb 19, 2022 5:41 AM

Jan 2022
certifiedbinger said:
Watashi35 said:

I didn’t get why Gilgamesh was being such a dumbass when he curb-stomped multiple overpowered masters before. He certainly is prideful, but it still feells as if the servants Emiya fought against were written to make silly errors so that he would win.

I think Gilgamesh made his mentality pretty clear even back in Zero. He prizes nobility and class and looks down at the ones who go against his image of them. The 'Faker' element was stressed a LOT for this exact same reason in both the Visual Novel and the Anime.
Gilgamesh underestimated Shirou even more than he normally would have because he considers him to be an inferior replica of his abilities. Completely consistent with his character if you ask me.
Archer didn't make any errors in his fight as far as I could tell. Just like Shirou absorbed his memories, Archer absorbed back his own. They're essentially the same person, but with Archer having forgotten why he wanted to chase Kiritsugu's dream in the first place. He saw the living embodiment of his newly recalled dream in Shirou and thus, couldn't cut him down. I don't consider that a 'mistake' per se, apropos to Archer's final words in the show, 'I was not wrong'.
And you might be forgetting the number of Ls Shirou took before the actual ending. He got thoroughly rolled by every servant he met in every single route. Berserker, Rider, Caster- all those interactions ended with Shirou nearly dying. That contradicts your last sentence.

Watashi35 said:

But what made me roll my eyes even more was Archer’s return. He appeared to be dead and disappeared and then suddenly he came back to save them, ruining the narrative significance and finality of the battle.

Touché. While it cheapened the impact a fair bit, Archer's previous death was very anti-climactic for a major character if you ask me. Besides, him popping back up and his final conversation with Rin was essential to let us know where things would go once Shirou decided to pursue his ideal. Unlike Archer, he'd have Rin who wouldn't let him end up like his future self. The final epilogue in London never happened in the Visual Novel. Instead, it ended with the classroom scene and a poem that implied Shirou would end up returning back home to Rin, instead of following in Archer's footsteps.

Watashi35 said:

In the previous series, the winner had to sacrifice so much to win the holy grail war. Here it felt like the conclusion was just Emiya being very lucky with no struggle. Though maybe this is a personal gripe, I wanted to see the protagonist really be challenged more

This is exactly where Fate's year old 'Watch Order' dilemma comes in, and why the community is SO torn on it.
Now look at it with this perspective. You start the show with Staynight characters and plot. From the first two routes, you just know Kiritsugu as this adoptive father who inexplicably destroyed the previous grail. You finally get to know 'Why?' in Heaven's Feel (already shown in Zero).
And THEN Zero came out as a prequel and detailed the entire events of Kiritsugu's dilemma and his character.
This is the actual release order of the Visual Novel and Light Novels.

The thing is, people who start with Zero base their expectations for Staynight according to the prequel. When it is actually supposed to be the other way around, since their tone is completely different.

Maybe the conflicting tone was also an issue, I found the focus on multiple characters as opposed to one made me much more invested as I could not tell how it would end by going in to fate series blind (ok, maybe it was obvious Saber would stay around a while at least)

Stay Night was still good but I may have been harsher on it because it wasn’t quite what I expected and the ending took some effort to piece together as Anime Only
Feb 19, 2022 7:30 AM
Jun 2021
Okay...the ending of fate ubw S2 is very misunderstood. Archer is a guardian who is summoned by Rin and he is the future self of Shirou. Shirou wanted to be the champion of justice but he had to withstood unbearable pain and suffering in the process that he ended up regretting it. So, he wanted to change his past by killing Shirou. But, he gave up to Shirou's will power and remember how naive he could be. Emiya Shirou wanted to be the champion of justice for his whole life and his dedication destroyed Archer's will to stop him. Archer wanted to change his fate but little does he know that Fate is unchangeable, Fate is absolute - this the true meaning of the fate series.
And the last moments of the show we saw Emiya going through the desert in a sandstorm and there was a smile in his face.
This moment everything became so clear. The desert is like a hard hellish path that Shirou has chosen and the sandstorm is like obstacles of his path. But the smile on Shirou's face shows that he's happy to do it. He doesn't want give up on his dreams even he may ended up regretting it like Archer, But wh knows?
This not a happy ending that everybody wanted. It's more realistic. Emiya doesn't want to become the champion of justice for Kiritsugu's sake it's for self satisfaction, for pleasure even that he will eventually become like Archer and the cycle of suffering will never leave him. But, we have to remember that Gilgamesh once said " Consciously or not, humans always runs after pleasure." So, Emiya Shirou can't avoid his fate and this is the ending.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Jun 20, 2015

1400 by sadoomi »»
May 23, 7:46 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Apr 11, 2015

1719 by icim_fitto »»
Apr 27, 4:58 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Apr 4, 2015

1557 by Swatheesh123 »»
Apr 9, 8:52 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Jun 13, 2015

1574 by ToG25thBaam »»
Mar 29, 12:29 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - May 17, 2015

1448 by ToG25thBaam »»
Mar 29, 9:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.