Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 19, 2022 11:02 AM
Nov 2021
Now I know they're obviously inspired by berserk. But I just can't help but notice the insane similarities between The Witcher and Claymore. There's so many that it was hard to ignore as a Witcher fan boy. So let me name a few

The creation of claymore's - "All current Claymores are female. Originally, male warriors were also created. The Organization had no qualms over their strength, but they were found to be more prone to awakening due to their inability to resist the urge, as the Awakening process brings sensations akin to sexual pleasure.

The Organization takes in young girls, typically orphans, abandoned children, and survivors of Yoma attacks - though they may also purchase them from their families or villages if they possess a desirable quality - and embed Yoma flesh and blood into their bodies through an incision made from the throat to the mons pubis."

I know that's long and sorry but this is gunna be a long post. The creation of claymore's is strikingly similar to the creation of witchers. In the Witcher much like claymore young boys are taken in and trained through the trials of grasses. The similarity here being how young girls are taken in and how young boys are taken in. Another similarity is that in Claymore they made make claymore's but they struggled to handle the urge to awaken. In the Witcher they tried to make female witcher's but none of them could survive the trials so they stuck with men instead. And in Claymore since they couldn't resist awakening they stuck with females instead. Kind of a loose comparison but still pretty similar nonetheless.

Another similarity is the treatment of both witchers and claymores in their respective worlds. Since both of these beings are essentially mutants since they were created in a lab they are both feared and treated differently. Claymore's are paid to kill monsters. Very similar to how witchers are paid to kill monsters. Also correct me if I'm wrong but weren't claymores made to handle the monsters of their world? In the Witcher they are made for the same reason. Because after the conjunction of spheres it brought in alot of monsters from a different universe. It was then witchers we're made to handle them.

Another similarity is the MC of claymore kind of has cat like eyes the same way Geralt of Rivia, the main character of the Witcher does. And I think the reason the girl from claymore has those eyes is a result of the process she had to go through to become a claymore. The same happened with Geralt when he did the trials. And both Geralt and the MC from claymore are sometimes identified by the way their eyes look.

There's other similarities but it's slipping my mind. So what do you guys think? You think claymore might've took some inspiration from the world of The Witcher? Or just a coincidence? Let me know :)
Jan 19, 2022 12:57 PM
Dec 2021
Claymore manga started 2001, the Witcher in 1990 to 1999 but in polish. The english version started in 2007 and the japanese in 2010 (if my quick research is true). Unless the Mangaka can speak polish then, probably yeah but I don’t think claymore took inspiration.
I see the similarities after you pointed it out, and cool post. :)
Jan 19, 2022 3:26 PM
Nov 2021
Lelouch_9 said:
Claymore manga started 2001, the Witcher in 1990 to 1999 but in polish. The english version started in 2007 and the japanese in 2010 (if my quick research is true). Unless the Mangaka can speak polish then, probably yeah but I don’t think claymore took inspiration.
I see the similarities after you pointed it out, and cool post. :)

Wow that's crazy then great minds think alike ❤️
Jan 19, 2022 4:20 PM

Oct 2017
No. It was translated way after.

POWER IS IMMORTAL
Jan 19, 2022 9:17 PM

Jul 2015
Witcher was first officially translated into English in late 2000s, so I guess it is either coincidence, author knew Polish or it was actually inspired by Berserk.

Just like Goblin Slayer has numerous similarities to Doom (2016), but Goblin Slayer began serialisation before Doom reboot was even announced.

Jan 19, 2022 9:31 PM
Aug 2021
Berserk and witicher came out almost at the same time so its not likely that berserk inspired it.
Jan 27, 2022 2:44 AM
Sep 2010
The Witcher is actually based on a bunch of books.
I would argue that training to be a warrior, magic and such is more of a European fantasy trope than anything else. It happened in Greek, Norse and Roman mythology. I am by no means a historian, I have just heard bits and pieces. Plus I have played games with mythology as its basis. I think that might have been Norihiro Yagi’s inspiration, as well as whatever the original author’s inspiration too. So my answer is no, The Witcher is not ripping off Claymore or vice versa. They are both taking their inspiration from European lore. That’s my opinion.
Jun 11, 2023 12:24 AM
Jan 2014
I would say probably not, because Witcher did not become famous until recently when games about it were released, before that probably nobody outside of Poland knew about it.

The Witcher is some overrated Polish author's self-insert story fantasy novel and the first two games made for it weren't even that well received. The third one, which people call a masterpiece is also overrated. I played it for about 1 hour before I couldn't take it anymore. 

Both the Witcher and Claymore are overrated and quite shallow and boring.
Jul 29, 2023 2:10 PM
Oct 2015
Allwynd said:
I would say probably not, because Witcher did not become famous until recently when games about it were released, before that probably nobody outside of Poland knew about it.

The Witcher is some overrated Polish author's self-insert story fantasy novel and the first two games made for it weren't even that well received. The third one, which people call a masterpiece is also overrated. I played it for about 1 hour before I couldn't take it anymore. 

Both the Witcher and Claymore are overrated and quite shallow and boring.
lmao im not a fan of cd project red but you have complete dogshit taste,

even as some one who is completely tired of the dark fantasy nowdays, they are still decent examples of trend setters in this genre.
i prefer sci fi stories

More topics from this board

Poll: » Claymore Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayrhandros - Jul 31, 2007

86 by TigersAndDragons »»
May 4, 3:56 PM

Poll: » Claymore Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kayrhandros - Sep 26, 2007

415 by Cynex_ »»
Apr 29, 9:17 AM

Poll: » Claymore Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Sep 12, 2007

91 by LuxuriousHeart »»
Apr 23, 5:30 PM

Poll: » Claymore Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayrhandros - Aug 21, 2007

79 by LuxuriousHeart »»
Apr 23, 12:00 AM

Poll: » Claymore Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Baman - Aug 8, 2007

92 by LuxuriousHeart »»
Apr 21, 12:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.