Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 14, 2022 12:03 AM

May 2020
Im more or less extremely disappointed with the fate series so far, specifically the 2nd season. The first season of fate/zero had its flaws, but it was entertaining and I more or less saw it as the build up for this season. I really liked the two background episodes halfway through the season, but the rest of the show seemed to be all over the place. Will this season make more sense when I have actually gotten through all of fate? The entire fate/zero felt like a complete waste of time. Nothing happened.
Jan 14, 2022 12:16 AM

Jul 2017
Yeah, it is supposed to be watched after fate stay night 3 routes not before it as it is a prequel
Jan 14, 2022 12:17 AM
Nov 2020
NickCipolla said:
Im more or less extremely disappointed with the fate series so far, specifically the 2nd season. The first season of fate/zero had its flaws, but it was entertaining and I more or less saw it as the build up for this season. I really liked the two background episodes halfway through the season, but the rest of the show seemed to be all over the place. Will this season make more sense when I have actually gotten through all of fate? The entire fate/zero felt like a complete waste of time. Nothing happened.
it’s a well known and talked about fact in stay night that the fourth war was uneventful and disappointing. This is just a show to explain what happened
Jan 14, 2022 12:18 AM

Feb 2021
NickCipolla said:
zero season 2 is my favourite anime I’ve seen. But whenever I recommend someone fate zero I always say let me watch it with you since without an understanding of the grail war fate in general, I believe it can hard for people to grasp a lot of things while watching zero if it is their first fate. There are not a lot of good adaptations after zero, and I believe it is the best fate anime adaptation there is.
Jan 14, 2022 12:22 AM

May 2020
eexi said:
NickCipolla said:
zero season 2 is my favourite anime I’ve seen. But whenever I recommend someone fate zero I always say let me watch it with you since without an understanding of the grail war fate in general, I believe it can hard for people to grasp a lot of things while watching zero if it is their first fate. There are not a lot of good adaptations after zero, and I believe it is the best fate anime adaptation there is.

i think adaptation aside, its got a ton of fundamental flaws that make it tough to be considered a great anime.

- many of the servants are given extremely rushed or failed to be given a backstory at all. rider was given so much backstory but nobody else was. even sabers is hard to follow
- a lot of the masters were just disposed of far too easy
- ep 12 brings more questtions than it answers for a season finale

it really is a shame how much the show is all over the place for me even though the characters are 10/10.
Jan 14, 2022 12:44 AM

May 2021
3 f/sn spoils zero so much, I started with zero. And I'll never regret my decision
Jan 14, 2022 12:46 AM

Jan 2021
I started with F/Z and still liked it.
Yeah, other fate routes might explain things in more elaborated way.

But I am not sure if you will like them too.
Jan 14, 2022 1:08 AM
Jun 2021
NickCipolla said:
NickCipolla said:
This series is supposed to be watched after watching/reading the other 3 routes in which they will explain how the fate world works and how the holy Grail war works. Without knowing anything about fate, if you watch zero it's probably a hit or miss. I suggest you to stop watching zero and start UBW then heaven's feel after that continue watching zero from the start. Even the Fate author himself said Zero should be watched after watching/reading the other 3 routes.
Jan 14, 2022 1:19 AM

Jan 2021
NickCipolla said:

- many of the servants are given extremely rushed or failed to be given a backstory at all. rider was given so much backstory but nobody else was. even sabers is hard to follow

Saber's backstory was the ENTIRE base for a whole route in Fate/stay night. You're actually supposed to know everything about her before you watch Zero. Since the Assassins don't have an identity, they lack any backstory too. They take liberties with Gilgamesh and Lancelot's backstories, but given they are prominent figures of some extremely popular myths and legends, I don't see an issue. You are ALSO supposed to know Gilgamesh before Zero.

As far as the masters' deaths are concerned, all of them just felt the right way to go, imo. Like as an afterthought, I tried to think of better ways they could've killed them off. I couldn't.

I take it you're referring to ep12 from Season 2. For someone starting with Zero, the ending isn't something you can fully grasp.
The whole thing with Angra Mainyuu and Kirei and Gilgamesh, and Kiritsugu realising the true nature of the grail were already known to people who read the visual novel and/or watched the staynight routes.

Zero wasn't anything but one big origin story. Like any other origin story to an already existing lore/character, you're supposed to know how it'll end. The journey you go through to actually get there is the main focus. For instance, people who watched/read Staynight already knew Kirei is a sadistic cunt who gets pleasure from someone else's suffering. Zero delved fully into this, and showed us how Gilgamesh toyed around with his psyche and how Kirei's realisation molded his character into what we saw in Staynight.
Similiarly, the final outcome of the 4th Holy Grail War was also revealed before Zero. So people knew Kiritsugu destroyed the Grail because he realised it was corrupted, but the 'hows' and 'whys' were answered in Zero.
Jan 14, 2022 2:01 AM
Jul 2021
Let me be clear, Fate Zero is different to what people know Fate for so it is not for everyone no matter how you look at it but the confusion Is normal when you start with zero, it isn't really meant to explain the backstory of any servant from the main series, you are actually supposed to know exactly what happens because the story doesn't care about the events it's more about why such events happens, what were the motives and ideals that led to that disaster of a holy Grail war, I mean the anime literally just calls a character Angra Mainya and moves on, you are stopped to know who that is and understand the value of such claim, unfortunately people keep recommending to start with Fate Zero and I still can't understand why
Jan 14, 2022 2:15 AM
Apr 2021
sonu711 said:
3 f/sn spoils zero so much, I started with zero. And I'll never regret my decision
its the other way around
Jan 14, 2022 2:49 AM

Aug 2017
i dont agree with you at all but it’s true you either like fate or you don’t
if you didnt like fate zero already than you will hate fate stay night
Jan 14, 2022 5:00 AM
Dec 2020
Well the story of fate zero is the clashing ideologies. If you don’t like that then you won’t enjoy it. I personally like philosophy and so when I so many people with clashing ideologies I really enjoyed it, so fate is one of my fav anime of all time ( I started with fate zero)
Jan 14, 2022 5:42 AM

Jul 2017
What? Fate zero is not hard to understand even if you watch it by itself and or first, and youre the first person ive seen to say that the second season was worse than the first????
Jan 14, 2022 6:08 AM
Oct 2020
NickCipolla said:

No. Same thing happened to me.

The ending of Fate/Zero will make sense only after finishing Heaven’s Feel.

You have to watch Unlimited Blade Works first though.

Ideally you would watch UBW -> Heaven’s Feel -> Zero.

But if you just watch UBW and Heaven’s Feel is will retroactively make sense
Jan 14, 2022 8:14 AM
Nov 2020
As most people have said Fate/ Zero is technically supposed to be watched last, even though it’s prequel. The reason why people recommend Zero first is because it’s the Grail war before the Stay/ night route and has events that lead to Stay Night, but if you watch zero after the Stay Night route it will feel a lot more lack luster because of a lot of the lore and story gets explained throughout the Stay night route. The Fate series is confusing to an extent no matter how you start watching it, unless you deep dive into the lore of the Nasuverse or The Fate Universe.
Jan 14, 2022 9:45 AM
Nov 2020
Fate Zero is all about philosophy and the characters (with their different ideologies) It was a war with no winners and an absolute fiasco for everyone who went. A tragedy, if you will. I also don't get why had trouble following. The story made absolute sense to me and felt pretty well organized even though this was literally my first Fate Series (But Ig that's cause I'm a huge mythology and history nerd). Honestly, this show is a 10/10 in my books and definitely in my top 5
Jan 14, 2022 9:51 AM

Jan 2021
I watched fate zero first and I dont regret my decision. I think it was a better decision actually cause zero is like the best entry in the entire fate universe. Again you are the first person from whom I hear that they didnt like the 2nd season. Maybe you should watch all the other routes to better grasp it.
Personally, I went into watching fate having knowledge only about its waifus. I literally had no idea what the entire fate or holy grail war and master and servant were in general but fate zero did an absolutely amazing job to explain the holy grail war in its first couple of episodes and that is the reason why I grew fond of it.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Jan 14, 2022 10:44 AM

May 2020
the fact that half of people are saying you wont understand much if u start with fate/zero, and the other half said they are happy they started with it shows how fucked up the fate watch order is.

from a story standpoint tho its very clear fate/zero was not the right one to start with
Jan 14, 2022 1:03 PM
Aug 2019
Don’t know what you’re talking about. I watched it first and thought it was amazing. What’s so all over about it for you?
Jan 15, 2022 6:47 AM

Jan 2021
NickCipolla said:
the fact that half of people are saying you wont understand much if u start with fate/zero, and the other half said they are happy they started with it shows how fucked up the fate watch order is.

from a story standpoint tho its very clear fate/zero was not the right one to start with

Well there IS technically a lot of reasons people recommend starting with Zero.

1. You're supposed to go Fate-> UBW -> Heaven's Feel. Since people hate the Fate route adaptation made by Studio Deen in 2006, they'll never recommend it. Now UBW is the second route in SN, so people were like 'Oh shit we can't have someone start with entry number two! Better have them start with Zero'. But in hindsight, it still doesn't make any sense because you'll be watching the second staynight route first any way.

2. The demographic appeal. Although very dark in their own right, the Staynight routes at the end of the day, can seem shounen-ey. Fans can get a little insecure when a viewer is unable to take the show seriously. It's the very same reason Death Note and Attack on Titan top the Most-Members List. So they end up recommending Zero as the starting point, thinking the viewers will go 'Oh shit, they're not messing around.'

3. The 'Ideal'. Kiritsugu's ideal to be a hero of justice ultimately moves the entire plot in both Zero and the Staynight routes, either directly or indirectly. However, the Staynight anime adaptations kind of gloss over the actual significance of the ideal. Watching Zero first actually makes you care about it.
Jan 15, 2022 8:50 AM
May 2020
NickCipolla said:
i think adaptation aside, its got a ton of fundamental flaws that make it tough to be considered a great anime.

it really is a shame how much the show is all over the place for me even though the characters are 10/10.

I want to ask this but have you thought that perhaps you're nitpicking? I won't persuade your opinion but these you pointed being fundamental flaws is just funny. I don't mean to offend but let me explain:

"many of the servants are given extremely rushed or failed to be given a backstory at all. rider was given so much backstory but nobody else was. even sabers is hard to follow"

I mean characters doesn't always need a backstory, the main importance is their background and how this contributes to the story. Every character in Fate/Zero I believe has been characterized enough to support the story with its themes. You know Fate/Zero is about holy grail war where people and heroes who seeks for it participates. Knowing Kiritsugu, Saber, Waver, literally all of them, it's obvious how they supported the story.

"a lot of the masters were just disposed of far too easy"

That's just how it is. I mean can you think how could Tokiomi pull up against Kirei? Iskandar on Gilgamesh? That spoiled aristocrat on Kiritsugu? Kirei, Gilgamesh and Kiritsugu just f-ing OP man and that's just how Fate/Zero is. I mean if you want just watch Dragonball lol I heard the fights takes long time and that doesn't seem too easy I suppose

"ep 12 brings more questtions than it answers for a season finale"

This is the most understandable point here but I don't think it's a flaw either. The episode was very interpretive really, I think it needs a little bit of thinking to understand it. Not intending the edgy notion "It's great and you just don't understand it.", I personally watched an analysis before I even completely understood it or maybe when I just rewatched it.

You can keep your own opinion but here's just my disagreement. If there's anything I suggest about Fate/Zero is that it gets better in rewatch though don't fully trust me.
Jan 15, 2022 11:02 AM

May 2020
xyro14 said:
NickCipolla said:

I want to ask this but have you thought that perhaps you're nitpicking? I won't persuade your opinion but these you pointed being fundamental flaws is just funny. I don't mean to offend but let me explain:

"many of the servants are given extremely rushed or failed to be given a backstory at all. rider was given so much backstory but nobody else was. even sabers is hard to follow"

I mean characters doesn't always need a backstory, the main importance is their background and how this contributes to the story. Every character in Fate/Zero I believe has been characterized enough to support the story with its themes. You know Fate/Zero is about holy grail war where people and heroes who seeks for it participates. Knowing Kiritsugu, Saber, Waver, literally all of them, it's obvious how they supported the story.

That's just how it is. I mean can you think how could Tokiomi pull up against Kirei? Iskandar on Gilgamesh? That spoiled aristocrat on Kiritsugu? Kirei, Gilgamesh and Kiritsugu just f-ing OP man and that's just how Fate/Zero is. I mean if you want just watch Dragonball lol I heard the fights takes long time and that doesn't seem too easy I suppose

This is the most understandable point here but I don't think it's a flaw either. The episode was very interpretive really, I think it needs a little bit of thinking to understand it. Not intending the edgy notion "It's great and you just don't understand it.", I personally watched an analysis before I even completely understood it or maybe when I just rewatched it.

You can keep your own opinion but here's just my disagreement. If there's anything I suggest about Fate/Zero is that it gets better in rewatch though don't fully trust me.

ive come to realize that most of the core issues of fate/zero just stem from it being a prequel. their job wasnt to create a story, it was more or less to fill a hole. i understand that now and i can see why that has caused some of the flaws this has. they didnt have to worry about pacing, or giving characters actual motivation/backstory because this was just made to lead up to UBW.

although i still dont understand why the fights are so god damn lackluster in fate/zero compared to UBW. The fights in UBW are so intense and have so much to them, kinda feels fate/zero half assed them.
Jan 15, 2022 11:12 AM
Apr 2020
NickCipolla said:
idk what you're saying. I started with zero and yes it was confused at first but I had a general understanding after watching a few episodes. I personally think Fate/zero is a 10/10 masterpiece with the writing, animation, music, characters etc. The ending of s2 is explained more in the heaven's feel movies
Jan 15, 2022 11:23 AM

May 2020
Noel_babu said:
NickCipolla said:
idk what you're saying. I started with zero and yes it was confused at first but I had a general understanding after watching a few episodes. I personally think Fate/zero is a 10/10 masterpiece with the writing, animation, music, characters etc. The ending of s2 is explained more in the heaven's feel movies

youre so right, just because u liked it that must mean it has no flaws and any critcism is invalid. how could i forget that your opinion is the final verdict?!?!?
Jan 15, 2022 11:26 AM
May 2020
NickCipolla said:
xyro14 said:

ive come to realize that most of the core issues of fate/zero just stem from it being a prequel. their job wasnt to create a story, it was more or less to fill a hole. i understand that now and i can see why that has caused some of the flaws this has. they didnt have to worry about pacing, or giving characters actual motivation/backstory because this was just made to lead up to UBW.

although i still dont understand why the fights are so god damn lackluster in fate/zero compared to UBW. The fights in UBW are so intense and have so much to them, kinda feels fate/zero half assed them.

Maybe it is though I think Fate/Zero works as a standalone, you can watch it without watching any other Fate np so I dont really agree personally about it not intending to create its own story, I mean Fate/Zero is like 'completely' different from F/SN, it's more tragic and philosophical. About that what they "didn't have to worry" thats not true lol tho its probable its made to lead up to UBW. Idk but whenever someone talks about pacing its always feels like a nitpick and about characters welp although they mostly didnt live in the end, they all had motivations. Im not sure if you really understood the show but if u ask me I could explain their character perhaps

Welp thats what I liked more about F/Z than UBW xD
Jan 15, 2022 11:51 AM
Jul 2018
nope
Zero ending is good because you know how it will end from already having read Stay Night
Jan 16, 2022 7:50 AM
Apr 2020
NickCipolla said:
Noel_babu said:

youre so right, just because u liked it that must mean it has no flaws and any critcism is invalid. how could i forget that your opinion is the final verdict?!?!?
you really shouldn't forget such things. Keep that in mind next time. đź‘Ť
Jan 16, 2022 4:29 PM

Jun 2015
proper way to start Fate is to read the visual novel, but it's bad - as are most Type-Moon works, including this one - Fate/Zero butchers Saber's character. Iskandar and Waver are the greatest part of it. Write it off as a 5/10 series and carry on, nothing wrong with realizing this.
certainmiracleJan 17, 2022 4:27 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/Zero 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KiraYoshikage - Apr 7, 2012

529 by CondeSebastian »»
May 23, 3:10 AM

» What's next?

infinite_Shadows - Apr 10

14 by Spoopy69 »»
May 17, 2:17 PM

Poll: » Fate/Zero 2nd Season Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - May 12, 2012

589 by frieren2024 »»
Apr 26, 4:02 AM

Poll: » Fate/Zero 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 23, 2012

1325 by Joel77 »»
Mar 25, 11:30 PM

Poll: » Fate/Zero 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 16, 2012

655 by Joel77 »»
Mar 25, 11:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.