Forum Settings
Forums
The Empty Box and Zeroth Maria (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 11, 2022 6:32 AM

May 2021
It seems that Utsuro no Hako to Zero no Maria is quite popular at least on this site to say and I've heard people say great things about it so I'm planning to read this but putting all that aside, do you think this might get an anime adaptation and if so, why and if not, why?
Jan 11, 2022 6:34 AM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Unpopular in Japan, and only mildly popular in the west now since it has been long enough since it ended.

In conclusion, highly unlikely to get an adaptation.
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Jan 13, 2022 5:21 PM

Jul 2017
Nope, it did better in the West than in Japan I would say. The characters, tone, way it was paced and written definitely aren't like most other light novels that could easily get anime adaptations. And frankly tbh, it shouldn't get an anime. Half of the magic of the series is reading and visualizing everything, and even at times, reading events so crazy that it's hard to even imagine what's happening since it reflects the hell that characters are going through at times. It would feel weaker seeing it animated like that tbh.
Jan 15, 2022 6:08 AM
Oct 2020
animejas said:
Nope, it did better in the West than in Japan I would say. The characters, tone, way it was paced and written definitely aren't like most other light novels that could easily get anime adaptations. And frankly tbh, it shouldn't get an anime. Half of the magic of the series is reading and visualizing everything, and even at times, reading events so crazy that it's hard to even imagine what's happening since it reflects the hell that characters are going through at times. It would feel weaker seeing it animated like that tbh.
any idea why it didn't do well in japan? it has everything that can make it popular but didn't.
Jan 15, 2022 6:28 AM

Jul 2017
Reinaria said:
animejas said:
any idea why it didn't do well in japan? it has everything that can make it popular but didn't.

Poor sales in Japan really were why. It's really popular on MAL because this series was #2 on MAL for a little while back in 2014 according to some research (Wayback Machine) since there was a small audience that read the series with the fan translations that someone did and found it near perfection then. It's dropped a bit quite then due to that top review, but it did have such a high rating then here that more people were curious about this than other LNs, that's why its the most popular LN here and Yen Press even decided to license it for the West with the first English volume dropping in 2017, 3 years after the series was over in Japan and 8 years after the first volume released in Japan. It's performed better in the West I would say than in Japan.

This is purely conjecture from my side but in my opinion, this doesn't really have the style of other LNs, for characters and storytelling too. It just feels really serious for 97% of the time right from the get-go so for them, the hook probably isn't the most accessible in the market compared to others like SAO but HakoMari's the better read because of it.
animejasJan 15, 2022 6:31 AM
Jan 21, 2022 8:40 AM

Oct 2010
exactly as in the title, the chances are zero, well Sagrada Reset got an adaptation for some unknown reason, it was a bit more popular though and it even received 2 manga adaptations before getting an anime.
Is it the best LN ever made? yes but that doesn't matter
Jan 27, 2022 10:22 AM

May 2019
The only thing popular in Japan nowadays are cliche third-class harem isekai, and something good like this that can't be easily comprehended due to its psychological nature by the horny beta otaku community of Japan that comprises the majority of anime watchers in Japan nowadays won't be popular there, so most studios won't be interested.
Not to mention it would be hard to adapt the inner monologues of the characters which is the real beauty of this LN.
Heavens committed a sin.
Feb 2, 2022 7:32 AM
Aug 2020
LordGrim9987 said:
The only thing popular in Japan nowadays are cliche third-class harem isekai, and something good like this that can't be easily comprehended due to its psychological nature by the horny beta otaku community of Japan that comprises the majority of anime watchers in Japan nowadays won't be popular there, so most studios won't be interested.
Not to mention it would be hard to adapt the inner monologues of the characters which is the real beauty of this LN.
people also said that to monogatari ln before there was an anime adaptation, and you know what? shaft studio nailed it.
Feb 2, 2022 7:36 AM

Feb 2021
It's very unlikely that this will happen anytime soon. Not only is it fairly unpopular in Japan, the LN has some complex storytelling that would be hard to put in animation. Besides, even if they did manage to do that, it wouldn't be nearly as good as reading it. One can only hope it gets an adaptation in the near future.
Feb 2, 2022 8:36 AM

May 2021
bernkastelrika said:
LordGrim9987 said:
people also said that to monogatari ln before there was an anime adaptation, and you know what? shaft studio nailed it.

Exactly, though we should take notice to the fact that Monogatari Series is insanely popular
whereas this is not so much.
Nov 19, 2023 10:02 AM

Nov 2019
While it's not impossible for an anime to get announced, it should never be adapted. It would be such a shame for someone's first experience with this phenomenal story to be from something that isn't the original source (the LNs). I don't think you can adapt the series into an anime that would be on par or better than the light novels.
Nov 19, 2023 4:28 PM

May 2021
Reply to Hikool101
While it's not impossible for an anime to get announced, it should never be adapted. It would be such a shame for someone's first experience with this phenomenal story to be from something that isn't the original source (the LNs). I don't think you can adapt the series into an anime that would be on par or better than the light novels.
@Hikool101 I have to say that I think it is possible to adapt this faithfully albeit very hard to do so but a studio like Shaft could do it since it somewhat fits their overall tone but I don't know if we even have any hopes of that anymore since their financial situation is not the best at this moment.
Nov 19, 2023 5:49 PM

Nov 2019
Reply to DarkHumor04
@Hikool101 I have to say that I think it is possible to adapt this faithfully albeit very hard to do so but a studio like Shaft could do it since it somewhat fits their overall tone but I don't know if we even have any hopes of that anymore since their financial situation is not the best at this moment.
@DarkHumor04 I agree that it's possible to adapt faithfully. I just think that even if it was an accurate adaptation, the light novels would still be the overall better experience, especially for people who haven't experienced it yet.
Nov 20, 2023 4:47 AM

May 2021
Reply to Hikool101
@DarkHumor04 I agree that it's possible to adapt faithfully. I just think that even if it was an accurate adaptation, the light novels would still be the overall better experience, especially for people who haven't experienced it yet.
@Hikool101 That I agree with but who knows? A lot of people think Mono anime is better than the novels due to how Shaft chooses to adapt it.
We would certainly not hurt with a faithfully done anime for Hakomari either.
Nov 20, 2023 9:52 AM

Nov 2019
Reply to DarkHumor04
@Hikool101 That I agree with but who knows? A lot of people think Mono anime is better than the novels due to how Shaft chooses to adapt it.
We would certainly not hurt with a faithfully done anime for Hakomari either.
@DarkHumor04 True, but I feel like I'd be both excited and concerned for others if an adaptation ever got announced. XD

More topics from this board

Poll: » Volume 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

TheHollowShrine - Jul 7, 2015

253 by Alvie48xi »»
Feb 26, 3:19 AM

Poll: » Volume 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

RadiGen - Sep 3, 2013

79 by Alvie48xi »»
Feb 24, 7:41 PM

Poll: » Volume 5 Discussion

RadiGen - Sep 3, 2013

37 by Alvie48xi »»
Feb 23, 8:16 AM

» The missing volumes

Perfectrockstar - Jul 4, 2021

4 by EmrysTatari »»
Feb 8, 1:36 PM

Poll: » Y'all think Hakomari is the best LN ever?

kelvin8072 - Jun 30, 2022

9 by Hikool101 »»
Nov 19, 2023 9:58 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.