Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 30, 2021 12:32 AM
Sep 2021
Just finished watching season 1 which was awesome but now I'm seeing so many trash talk on the rest of the seasons. How come? Why was it bad? I hear it was confusing to follow?? Did the anime skipped chapters? Or did the studio make a lot of changes to the storyline and made it their own?
Dec 30, 2021 12:44 AM

Aug 2020
Anime skipped half of the content, art and animation also got downgraded at the end.
Dec 30, 2021 12:48 AM
Feb 2021
The anime diverged from the manga for season 2 and then for 3 and 4 it went back but rushed things and had continuity errors because season 2 diverged. Everything went to shit after season 1. The manga is way way better so read that if you want the story, the anime is ok if you want to get a feel for the universe it’s set in and characters but it really is a terrible adaptation of the source material
Dec 30, 2021 12:48 AM
Apr 2021
Just read the manga
Tokyo ghoul is a great manga with a trash anime adaptation

Dec 30, 2021 1:18 AM
Nov 2021
100th time this question was asked. 

Season two is in no way bad, it just doesn't compare to the manga. Not because it was that awful but because:
a) Ishida (the writer of TG) instructed the anime studio to be creative and come up with different things, leading to kaneki in the anime joining aogiri. Which basically did a domino effect of having the plot different but in exactly the same setting. Which lead to things like Cochlea raid being done for different reasons but with the same things happening. Albeit making little sense in season two.
B)them for some reason having it to be exactly 12 episodes. Which lead to many plot points and things not happening and overall plot not making sense. This got awful at :re because the show starts out of nowhere with many of the characters we know not being there/ being a shadow of their former self. With the pacing being faster than speed of light not even giving any chance to know the new characters or understand what's going on

I recommend watching season one and rootA then reading the manga and not touching Re at all.
Dec 30, 2021 1:35 AM
Sep 2021
Honestly season 2 just fucked everything up. Ok it was a cool idea for Kaneki to join the aogiri but out of all the things they decided to cut they cut the entire vol14. If that part of the story was adapted re would make a lot more sense. Obviously they should have followed the manga for season 2 but whatever. As for re they kinda rushed it at the beginning but it’s mostly identical to the manga.(part one at least. I haven’t read beyond re vol 6)
Dec 30, 2021 1:39 AM
Sep 2021
ibraballs said:

Season two is in no way bad, it just doesn't compare to the manga. Not because it was that awful but because:
a) Ishida (the writer of TG) instructed the anime studio to be creative and come up with different things, leading to kaneki in the anime joining aogiri. Which basically did a domino effect of having the plot different but in exactly the same setting. Which lead to things like Cochlea raid being done for different reasons but with the same things happening. Albeit making little sense in season two.
B)them for some reason having it to be exactly 12 episodes. Which lead to many plot points and things not happening and overall plot not making sense. This got awful at :re because the show starts out of nowhere with many of the characters we know not being there/ being a shadow of their former self. With the pacing being faster than speed of light not even giving any chance to know the new characters or understand what's going on

I recommend watching season one and rootA then reading the manga and not touching Re at all.
wait Ishida told the studio to change the story? Didn’t know that
Dec 30, 2021 1:43 AM
Nov 2021
[quote=VeryGhoul message=65326430]
ibraballs said:
wait Ishida told the studio to change the story? Didn’t know that

Yea he did
"Ishida-sensei also urged me to change stuff and go a different route, which is where a lot of the anime came from. We had a massive bubble of ideas, but as to not affect the lore of the original manga, it constantly felt like those ideas were being chipped away at by those above me. I tried my best, and I honestly don't have any regrets given the movement space I was allowed."
Dec 30, 2021 1:55 AM
Sep 2021
Got it. Thanks all for answering.
Dec 30, 2021 2:11 AM
Jul 2021
s2 isn’t too bad. s3 onward had new and worse animations and the story simply took a turn for the worse. I would’ve been fine with the animation but omg it got so unbearably boring and confusing it just wasn’t good to put it simply
Dec 30, 2021 2:27 AM

Aug 2021
Miyuki-K said:
Just finished watching season 1 which was awesome but now I'm seeing so many trash talk on the rest of the seasons. How come? Why was it bad? I hear it was confusing to follow?? Did the anime skipped chapters? Or did the studio make a lot of changes to the storyline and made it their own?

Almost whole of the season 2 (Tokyo Ghoul Root A) is anime canon... They didn't skip chapters, they changed the fcking story...
If you enjoyed the first season, start reading the manga from chapter 54... The manga is just amazing...

Yeah, the world would be dark without Light...
but without L, the world would just be a Word...
Dec 30, 2021 3:18 AM
May 2016
I mean, the first season wasn't particularly good anyway, it was just every edgy teenager's dream. It was fine I guess, didn't bother to keep watching after that, I don't bother watching crap anyway, if I didn't particularly enjoy season 1, given that everything else is even worse, I don't even understand why someone would waste their time on Tokyo Ghoul at all
Dec 30, 2021 3:42 AM
Mar 2021
Because season 1 is bad as well
Dec 30, 2021 5:57 AM
Feb 2021
Season 1 is bad too. The whole adaptation is awful, they skipped SO MANY CONTENT from the manga and changed the order of some events. If you really liked, read the manga from the beginning
Dec 30, 2021 6:56 AM

Sep 2021
I think most of the beef was because of the manga. The adaption apparently skipped stuff. I’ve never read it tho so idk. IMO the first 2 seasons are quite good before it falls off once RE starts.
Dec 30, 2021 8:07 AM

Jan 2020
I honestly thought that all of it wasn't great.
Dec 30, 2021 8:09 AM
May 2021
S1 was average aswell but other seasons are horrible.
Dec 30, 2021 11:11 AM

Jun 2021
ibraballs said:

Ok I'm not reading all that but I do agree with your intial lines that s2 wasn't bad it was actually pretty imo

Dec 30, 2021 11:53 AM
Dec 2021
Season 1 then manga, that's all I can warn ya, or anyone actually
Dec 30, 2021 11:57 AM
Stellaron Hunter

Oct 2020
My understanding is that they didn't adapt manga properly and skipped a lot of stuff.
❀ Incessant Rain ❀

“Can you let me have some fun this time?”

Dec 30, 2021 6:34 PM
Geass
Apr 2020
Miyuki-K said:
just watch the next 12 episodes and then end it there the first 2 seasons are fine but the next seasons are almost different anime there pretty bad
𝐼𝒻 π“Žπ‘œπ“Šπ“‡ π‘”π‘œπ‘œπ’Ή 𝒢𝓉 π“ˆπ‘œπ“‚π‘’π“‰π’½π’Ύπ“ƒπ‘” π“Œπ’½π“Ž π’Ήπ‘œ 𝒾𝓉 π’»π‘œπ“‡ 𝒻𝓇𝑒𝑒

https://i.imgur.com/qTzFIST.jpg
Dec 31, 2021 8:17 AM
Aug 2019
It’s just so forgettable, Tokyo ghoul. More like complain - murder - drink coffee - torture - WeHrE aRe yoU kanEki - repet.
Oshiete Oshiete Oshiete Oshiete
Dec 31, 2021 4:07 PM
Sep 2020
Season 2 and onwards has basically nothing to do with the manga, they skipped the fuck out of everything that happened in the (amazing) manga and the first season actually skipped a lot of stuff too so go read the manga from volume 1 or you don't know the greatness of tokyo ghoul
Dec 31, 2021 4:07 PM
Sep 2020
Season 2 and onwards has basically nothing to do with the manga, they skipped the fuck out of everything that happened in the (amazing) manga and the first season actually skipped a lot of stuff too so go read the manga from volume 1 or you don't know the greatness of tokyo ghoul
Dec 31, 2021 10:52 PM
Community Mod
Equanimity

Nov 2020
It’s completely rushed and the End of S2 is garbage, RE is completely confusing you don’t understand a thing.
Dec 31, 2021 10:55 PM

Jan 2020
Worse animation and bad pacing should be all I need to say

Jan 1, 2022 8:11 AM
Jul 2018
Miyuki-K said:
Ill admit the third and fourth seasons drop in value but I will die on the hill that Tokyo Ghoul Root A, is the best season, and if you don’t read the manga before watching the anime then you won’t have a reason to hate it.
Jan 1, 2022 1:13 PM
Sep 2021
ethan_c2107 said:
Miyuki-K said:
Ill admit the third and fourth seasons drop in value but I will die on the hill that Tokyo Ghoul Root A, is the best season, and if you don’t read the manga before watching the anime then you won’t have a reason to hate it.

I do plan to read the manga after but so far I'm enjoying the anime. :)
Jan 2, 2022 2:01 AM
Jun 2021
You know S1 was so good and then everything fucked up, IDK why but I'm so disappointed, it was my second anime and I really thought this will be good all the time… and then someone came and said:
How about making it more boring, disgusting and meaningless ?
God I’m so fucking sad about it 😭
Jan 4, 2022 2:13 PM
Sep 2020
First season mostly followed the manga. Season 2 just does its own thing and really fucks it up
Jan 23, 2022 10:29 AM
Mar 2021
nexuro01 said:
Miyuki-K said:

S1 - good adaptation
S2 - anime original ending, this is totally different from the manga, it’s still fine tho
S3 - zero fucks given about anime original ending, we follow manga again and if you’re anime only you’ll be confused af, it also rushes manga a little bit, still fine thing to watch tho, if you have read manga that is
S4 - adapts over 100 chapters into total mess, you won’t be able to understand wtf is going on unless you have read the manga, and if you have read the manga you’ll literally lose your shit when you see they skipped your fav fight or it happened between two episodes and you’ll only see the aftermatch, total trash of an adaptation aside from OST and animation stillcl being good

In conclusion - you’re better off reading the fucking manga after watching S1

Imma be honest, as an anime-only I was not confused whatsoever in any of the seasons. Maybe I'm just built different
Jan 23, 2022 11:05 AM
Mar 2021
nexuro01 said:
Reffman said:

Imma be honest, as an anime-only I was not confused whatsoever in any of the seasons. Maybe I'm just built different
even tho that orange haired dude that was kaneki friend got resurrected in s3?

No? He never died, just got severely injured iirc
Feb 6, 2022 8:30 AM

Nov 2020
it didn't follow the manga. Kaneki didn't get his eyeballs crushed in final episode of season 2. poor animation. skipped content. its basically best enjoyed in manga format.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2014

846 by Vindicater »»
May 13, 4:36 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2014

320 by Vindicater »»
May 8, 5:12 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dior - Jul 10, 2014

520 by Vindicater »»
May 4, 8:19 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 3, 2014

860 by Vindicater »»
May 2, 5:29 AM

» Tokyo Ghoul ss3 killed all the hope I have for this series

DatajI - Mar 9

4 by zero00guard »»
Mar 12, 4:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.