Forum Settings
Forums

'Muv-Luv Alternative' Gets Second Season in Fall 2022

New
Dec 22, 2021 8:51 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014

The 12th and final episode of the Muv-Luv Alternative anime series ended with an announcement on Thursday that a second season is in production. The official website revealed an announcement promo. The new season will begin airing in October 2022.

The television anime began airing on October 8 on the +Ultra programming block. Crunchyroll streamed the anime with subtitles as it aired in Japan.

Yukio Nishimoto (Ginga Tetsudou Monogatari) directed the anime, with Tatsuhiko Urahata (Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri) handling the series composition. Takuya Tani (Koukaku no Pandora) designed the characters and Evan Call (Schwarzesmarken) composed the music. Flagship Line, Yumeta Company, and Graphinica co-produced the anime series.

The anime adapts âge's visual novel which was released in February 2006, after its prequel released in February 2003. The franchise received manga adaptations, multiple spin-off light novels, and two spin-off anime adaptations.

Synopsis
The world has been engulfed in a desperate, three-decade-long war against the BETA—an alien species that invaded the planet in 1973. Amid this chaos, a high school student named Takeru Shirogane suddenly wakes up from a terrifying nightmare where he sees mankind in utter defeat. Soon after, he realizes that his dream was nothing more than the recollections of his life in an alternative universe. In those memories, the Alternative V project is implemented, sending hundreds of thousands of people into space as a last resort to preserve humanity, while leaving the remaining billion on Earth to suffer a cruel fate.

Yearning to change this grim future, Takeru joins a military base in Yokohama, which happens to be his former high school. There, he manages to convince the base's vice-commander and leader of the Alternative IV project, Professor Yuuko Kouzuki, to prevent Alternative V from happening. To ensure the success of Alternative IV, Takeru must pilot the gigantic humanoid machines Tactical Surface Fighters (TSF) alongside his fellow cadets. However, he has only two months to complete his training and exploit his partial knowledge of the future—lest the ensuing tragedy take place. [Written by MAL Rewrite]

Announcement

Official site: https://muv-luv-alternative-anime.com/
Official Twitter: @Muv_Luv_A_anime

Source: Dengeki Online

Muv-Luv Alternative 2nd Season on MAL
DatRandomDudeDec 22, 2021 8:41 PM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Dec 22, 2021 8:57 AM

May 2020
It isn't even laughable at this point.
Dec 22, 2021 9:01 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Not surprised. The adaptation quality aside, I'm sure it was planned this way from the start. Would be weird to stop part-way through the VN anyway tbf
Dec 22, 2021 9:08 AM
Jan 2020
Probably planned from the start. They're not that dumb right?
Dec 22, 2021 9:14 AM

Feb 2019
Wait, i thought people hated it.
Dec 22, 2021 9:22 AM

Sep 2020
Let's gooo!!!! Finally some good anime is getting S2. 2022 keep on getting better and better.
Dec 22, 2021 9:33 AM
May 2013
Alternative title : "Muv kuv Alternative gets butchered in another season in Fall 2022"
Fast paced, lacks development, another money grabber.
No thanks.
Dec 22, 2021 9:42 AM
Apr 2018
Im so excited this is one of the best anime of the year!!
Dec 22, 2021 9:45 AM

Oct 2010
no, I don't want this, they should have canceled it after episode 2
Dec 22, 2021 10:04 AM

Oct 2013
Oh please God no!!! Make it stop, I barley survived S1.

Dec 22, 2021 10:23 AM

Aug 2008
I already forgot I dropped that show. Shame money and manpower is wasted on making so much mediocrity every season.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Dec 22, 2021 11:38 AM

Jul 2017
VN fans HATED it with a passion,

Anime-onlies are confused AF.

What's the point?
Dec 22, 2021 12:16 PM

Jan 2009
they should have made it full 3DCG right from the start too

and yep this is probably planned as split cour from the very beginning so they cannot cancel it now
Dec 22, 2021 12:21 PM

Jan 2008
deg said:

and yep this is probably planned as split cour from the very beginning so they cannot cancel it now

Graphinica dont have the ability to do a full 3d anime just yet, maybe sooner down the road.
Dec 22, 2021 12:22 PM

Jan 2008
KANLen09 said:
VN fans HATED it with a passion,

Anime-onlies are confused AF.

What's the point?

Japanese audiences and Japanese staffs matters to themselves, which is well received over there, no jokes.

Japanese loved it so much.
Dec 22, 2021 12:51 PM

Jan 2009
planetwarrior said:
deg said:

Graphinica dont have the ability to do a full 3d anime just yet, maybe sooner down the road.

they did Expelled From Paradise though
Dec 22, 2021 1:15 PM

Jan 2008
deg said:
planetwarrior said:

deg said:
planetwarrior said:

That made sense, but that will give some times.
Dec 22, 2021 1:18 PM

Jan 2008
deg said:
planetwarrior said:

deg said:
planetwarrior said:

That made sense, but it will give some times.
Dec 22, 2021 1:28 PM
Jan 2018
Unfortunately, the worst adaptation of all time will continue. Hopefully they can make everything that isn't the CG at least visually passable this time but I doubt it.
Dec 22, 2021 1:32 PM

Jul 2019
People are calling this the worst adaptation ever when Chaos;Head exists lol.
Dec 22, 2021 1:34 PM

Jun 2012
Did they make a first season?
Dec 22, 2021 1:41 PM
Feb 2013
I admit the first 3-4 episodes sucked but after that it got pretty good. It's not a bad adaptation and anyone calling it the worst ever is delusional.
Dec 22, 2021 1:50 PM

May 2018

I tried 10 episodes and each episode, was pretty much enduring it. I dropped it as i couldnt even tune into it

"Don't give up after failing just twice.
We'll be able to do it next time.
Failure is the stepping stone to success."

Dec 22, 2021 1:55 PM

Mar 2016
No one here understands marketing. "Why does this exist?", not everything exists for you.
"[The]Worst adaptation ever", hardly. Of course it's going to not live up to the standards of its source material. It's an anime for Christ sakes not a Spielberg production, get over yourselves and be thankful as a fan it's even adapted to begin with if you're a fan of anime.
I'm guilty of this too, everyone is. Umineko is considered to be one of my worst ever anime experiences based on its literal jet-speed narrative compared to a plethora source material.
Tsukihime as well. Over time I've realized that these are marketing campaigns and most anime only exist to promote their source material. I'm not saying you can't hate an adaptation but to be cynical to the point of going red is nonsensical.
Not to mention throwing around phrases like "the worst" being arguably the most subjective and useless phrase ever regarding any form of media.
Lie until what you want to be true becomes truth. Lie until you can't remember what's a lie and what isn't.  Lie until you aren't lying anymore!
Figures
Dec 22, 2021 2:00 PM
Mar 2021
i dont like this anime because boring, genre action but no action. l like alternative story is mul-luv alternativ : total eclipse .
total eclipse : story good, action good, just need season 2 :(
Dec 22, 2021 2:37 PM

Jan 2008
NasFariz said:
i dont like this anime because boring, genre action but no action. l like alternative story is mul-luv alternativ : total eclipse .

Yup, season 2 will be far better, just watch when it will hit.

Alstruction said:
I admit the first 3-4 episodes sucked but after that it got pretty good. It's not a bad adaptation and anyone calling it the worst ever is delusional.

Exactly, ppl are just impatient these days and does not know how to follow the story, but waiting for more action.
Dec 22, 2021 3:56 PM

Sep 2011
Now that's funny.
Dec 22, 2021 9:21 PM

Jul 2021
Haven't watch it, heard it's bad, won't even bother watching bad adaptation so Imma pass on this one.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Dec 22, 2021 9:42 PM
Mar 2021
LOL sorry let me go find somewhere to puke rq.
Dec 23, 2021 12:02 AM

Jun 2014
HaXXspetten said:
Not surprised. The adaptation quality aside, I'm sure it was planned this way from the start. Would be weird to stop part-way through the VN anyway tbf

In some ways, VN are truly blessed. The only media that get full adaptation whenever we do get an adaptation.

/s
Dec 23, 2021 12:54 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Thai777 said:
HaXXspetten said:

In some ways, VN are truly blessed. The only media that get full adaptation whenever we do get an adaptation.

/s
It's a double-edged sword. Since VNs are always released as full packages rather than one chapter/volume at a time like manga and LNs, there's much more incentive to adapt the whole thing when an eventual anime comes along since the whole story is already known from the start. But instead they end up cutting too many corners since there's not enough room to cover that amount of content. So then we end up with rushed, incoherent messes that technically cover most of the stories instead of good but very much partial and incomplete adaptations that happens with other mediums. Think most people would still prefer the latter but there's always some sort of problem isn't it :s
Dec 23, 2021 2:16 AM
Feb 2015
NasFariz said:

They won't do Total Eclipse Season 2. More like they can't. If they really want to continue Total Eclipse, they would need to complete the main story which is this anime first.
Otherwise the ending portion of Total Eclipse won't make sense.
Total Eclipse's final portion can only be understandable after having gone through Muv-Luv Alternative.
Dec 23, 2021 7:51 AM

Jun 2021
Did not expect that this show still exists.
I'm gonna sit down here and watch them do it
Dec 23, 2021 5:37 PM
Jul 2018
Why can't we get a good vn adaptation like steins;gate and clannad from this
removed-userDec 24, 2021 12:35 AM
Dec 24, 2021 8:30 AM

Jan 2008
Alt is the first âge anime adaptation to have an actual 2nd season without being an OVA/ONA. Kiminozo Next Season does not count as it is not 2nd season televised and it is an OVA/ONA.

Usually, âge anime adaptation has a pattern known for no 2nd season televised or OVA/ONA after 1st season televised.
Dec 24, 2021 9:20 AM

Jul 2014
There is no Muv Luv Alternative Anime.

Death to Anime.
Dec 24, 2021 4:46 PM
Feb 2015
planetwarrior said:
Alt is the first âge anime adaptation to have an actual 2nd season without being an OVA/ONA. Kiminozo Next Season does not count as it is not 2nd season televised and it is an OVA/ONA.

Usually, âge anime adaptation has a pattern known for no 2nd season televised or OVA/ONA after 1st season televised.

True, i guess they really want to keep promoting Muv-Luv Alternative for another year or two.

OppaiSugoi said:

Death to Anime.

You have nothing to say besides that do you? XD

Well we need to consider that anime isn't the final stage of work anymore nowadays, it's more like a promotion platform. In the past, anime is like the final stage of a media work, but now it's the reverse. Anime is use to make people support the original work.
Dec 24, 2021 8:08 PM

Jul 2014
ixarising said:

OppaiSugoi said:

Death to Anime.

Well we need to consider that anime isn't the final stage of work anymore nowadays, it's more like a promotion platform. In the past, anime is like the final stage of a media work, but now it's the reverse. Anime is use to make people support the original work.

anime has always been a huge ad campaign, just that this has got to be a hot take on one of the worst adaptations to date. I'll continue to piss on this anime adaptation.
Dec 25, 2021 4:27 AM
Feb 2015
OppaiSugoi said:
ixarising said:

anime has always been a huge ad campaign, just that this has got to be a hot take on one of the worst adaptations to date. I'll continue to piss on this anime adaptation.

They could do better next season, while i'm doubtful of that myself, it probably won't be so bad as this season. Pacing is probably still going to suck because the amount of content they're going to adapt again. From XM3 to Sado. Unless if they skip all character interaction and development again, i don't see them managing.
Jan 18, 2022 9:24 AM

May 2013
This felt so bad that it seemed like a torture!
Please, this is no way near what Total Eclipse shown us. -_-
Half of this show is just about shogun ball sucking people. -_-
And Shogun saying something that everyone with 100+ IQ could think.
Jan 20, 2022 5:43 AM
Feb 2015
MGJ_Sakazaki said:

Total Eclipse is the one that is nowhere near this.
The anime didn't do a good job with the adaptation but Muv-Luv Alternative as a story is much better Total Eclipse.
Jan 25, 2022 6:06 AM

Jul 2014
Fax001s said:
People are calling this the worst adaptation ever when Chaos;Head exists lol.

Come to think of it, this is rated lower than Chaos;Head, LOL.
Jan 29, 2022 8:57 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
OppaiSugoi said:

Death to Anime.

There is, and it is pretty decent one, way better than Umineko adaptation or other VNs adaptations most of the times are, people need to awake because there is no way S1 is as bad as the score says so, Umineko's is rated way higher and that adapted failed badly, at least on this, the scenes they wanted to adapt were decently done, as a fan of the VN I m way more pleased with this, than I though I was going to be, after all this controversy started.

ixarising said:
MGJ_Sakazaki said:

Total Eclipse is the one that is nowhere near this.
The anime didn't do a good job with the adaptation but Muv-Luv Alternative as a story is much better Total Eclipse.

Against TE and Schaws, this S1 is definitly better, the direction is better, the ost is epic and well implemented when it matters, the fights were top tier, way above most other mecha CGs (probably only FMP IV tops these, IF), and the fact I managed to feel the emotions from the drama already means more to me than other spin offs ever did, albeit this is an unfair point considering my bias towards the VN.

Alstruction said:

Pretty much, after this I have lost any faith I ever had in them, not that I considered to have any in the first place but wow.

THANK GOD there will be a S2, because now that they got the intro out of the way, the pacing can calm down, and if anything, from S1 they have show promise to at least do the later parts of this adaptation decent.
Cant wait for S2 this year.
Jan 29, 2022 8:14 PM

Jul 2014
Playcool said:
OppaiSugoi said:

Death to Anime.

There is, and it is pretty decent one, way better than Umineko adaptation or other VNs adaptations most of the times are, people need to awake because there is no way S1 is as bad as the score says so, Umineko's is rated way higher and that adapted failed badly, at least on this, the scenes they wanted to adapt were decently done, as a fan of the VN I m way more pleased with this, than I though I was going to be, after all this controversy started.

People are awake, by giving this a low rating, which this show rightly deserves.
Jan 31, 2022 6:07 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
OppaiSugoi said:
Playcool said:

People are awake, by giving this a low rating, which this show rightly deserves.

Clearly they have limited knowledge in how poorly VN adaptations can get, because there is no way Umineko's was better than this.

What happened is that a lot of fans got triggered by the adaptation when they had unreasonable expectations from starters.
Albeit I can argue that MLA adaptation did deserve a minimum of expectation, considering how long in the making it was.
Feb 1, 2022 1:42 PM

Jul 2014
Playcool said:
OppaiSugoi said:

Clearly they have limited knowledge in how poorly VN adaptations can get, because there is no way Umineko's was better than this.

What happened is that a lot of fans got triggered by the adaptation when they had unreasonable expectations from starters.
Albeit I can argue that MLA adaptation did deserve a minimum of expectation, considering how long in the making it was.

Death was basically written on the wall as soon as they announced they are adapting Alternative, there was no way they could make the adaption coherent and comprehensible. This also shot up the expectations even further, how to give backstory of the events prior and basically spoil the entirety of the core franchise. Frankly I was pissed.
Feb 2, 2022 4:43 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
OppaiSugoi said:
Playcool said:

Death was basically written on the wall as soon as they announced they are adapting Alternative, there was no way they could make the adaption coherent and comprehensible. This also shot up the expectations even further, how to give backstory of the events prior and basically spoil the entirety of the core franchise. Frankly I was pissed.

I wanted to see an adaptation, so I m fine with it.
TBH, in a sense, they fucked up major a long time ago, when the first thing they choose to adapt was MLA TE, showing people the BETA, without first going throught Extra, Unlimited and then Alternative... that already messed it up, no way it is going to have the same impact if you watch MLA TE then go play the VNs, there is a good reason the BETA were keep of screen for so long, and you could easily feel the impact of their reveal, in the worst way possible, as in best way to mess up up.

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Hanazakari no Kimitachi e' Gets Anime

DatRandomDude - 8 hours ago

16 by MegamiRem »»
26 minutes ago

» 'Detective Conan' Creator's 'Yaiba' Manga Receives New Anime

Hyperion_PS - May 7

21 by Fanpolis »»
2 hours ago

» 'Megami no Café Terrace Season 2' Reveals Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

12 by RobertBobert »»
5 hours ago

» Smartphone Game 'Garena Free Fire' Gets Anime Project

Hyperion_PS - May 12

41 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
11 hours ago

» 'Ore wa Subete wo "Parry" suru' Unveils Additional Cast, Staff, Theme Songs

Nioxys - Yesterday

0 by Nioxys »»
Yesterday, 8:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.