Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Dec 24, 2021 1:00 AM

Jun 2019
matias067 said:
i thought it would be a long time skip...i guess it was 1 or 2 year skip only?

Two years. This was the specified amount of time Fuuka and Kaoru were stated to be staying in Hawaii for involvement with the Aquatope Project.
Dec 24, 2021 3:26 AM
Mar 2012
knktzvra said:
Whao, what a disappointment, I really hoped for something from this show but it ended with nothing good about it.

I can just stay with my boy Kai and the best girl Tsukimi, also the part about the ocean pollution (and it was just on the last eps), extinction of species and the aquarium stuff.

I cant really understand how ppl can like something this empty, but tastes are as diverse as the creatures in the sea.

I just lol when Kukuru, after 24 eps, goes with her gramps and ask him something like "what should I do?" man, after all the sh*t she did and saying that she was ok, she knew what she had to do and stuff like that, I just realized I wasted my time hoping for something from this show, and gramps answer was great tbh.

Gotta turn on the drop sense next time.

Because the show has some sense of nuance and isn't trying to force a narrative of a "right answer"? Life is complicated. There isn't always a right answer. I find that message much more appealing than the show saying "this is what Kukuru should do."
Dec 24, 2021 3:27 AM
Mar 2012
Kayle_x_Morgana said:
Badalight said:

Most idols in Japan make very very little money. We don't really know how popular Fuuka's group was, but Fuuka herself was never super popular at the very least. Also, aquariums aren't minimum wage jobs.
she was going to star in a movie

1) Most Japanese live action movies are incredibly low budget.
2) She was only going to star in a movie because the director personally liked her.
Dec 24, 2021 10:52 PM

Dec 2016
It turned out to be a really nice journey than what I had expected.

All the characters ended up being likeable. I'm gonna miss them. I'm just a cat and a dog person and never really cared much about fishes, so this anime made me like marine animals and made me want to work at an aquarium.

Kukuru growing out her hair and Fuuka with a shorter hair, both of them are looking beautiful.

Kai's reaction about the age gap animal couple is so me when I was a kid XD

Everything was properly presented especially the character development. It didn't feel like anything was lacking and it ended in a smooth way with no open ending. It's been a while I watched something this simple and relaxing where all the characters were happy in the end.

I remember saying that I was skeptical if I was going to survive a 24 episodes long slice of life anime but I actually thoroughly enjoyed it.

Overall 8/10
Dec 25, 2021 11:17 PM

Apr 2012
I'm impressed that even after the girls positioned themselves quite bluntly as sisters and the show ignored any opportunities for romance, people keep complaining about the absence of Kukuru x Fuuka at the end and trying to rationalize it with classic wishful thinking like talking about queer coding, "obvious hints" or yuri bait. I understand why the premise called in so many yuri shippers, but it seems like people didn't care at all about the real relationship of the two girls, constantly trying to fill it with only what they wanted.
Dec 26, 2021 11:18 AM

Nov 2019
I'm glad that this is an opening end, even with the previous yuri hint, which I don't prefer. They've achieved something greater than their dream, and friendship is indeed beautiful.
SgtBateManDec 26, 2021 11:34 AM
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Dec 26, 2021 11:34 AM

Apr 2012
SgtBaitMan said:
I'm glad that this is an opening end, even with the previous yuri hint, which I don't prefer.

For an open end, it had to at least have an active romantic teasing. In this case, the show didn't even try to suggest it.
Dec 26, 2021 11:38 AM

Nov 2019
RobertBobert said:
SgtBaitMan said:
I'm glad that this is an opening end, even with the previous yuri hint, which I don't prefer.

For an open end, it had to at least have an active romantic teasing. In this case, the show didn't even try to suggest it.

Well, I meant that their future was still stretching on ahead, and even though with the yuri hint, I believe it was just my temporary observation, and the truth is more on the side of friendship.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Dec 26, 2021 11:41 AM

Apr 2012
SgtBaitMan said:
RobertBobert said:

Well, I meant that their future was still stretching on ahead, and even though with the yuri hint, I believe it was just my temporary observation, and the truth is more on the side of friendship.

I don't quite understand what you mean by "yuri hint". The show was still out of romance or teasing.
Dec 26, 2021 11:53 AM

Nov 2019
RobertBobert said:

I don't quite understand what you mean by "yuri hint". The show was still out of romance or teasing.

Well, they were insignificant, so it's alright if you didn't see them, but I agree with you that romance wasn't the main topic of this anime. You can settle with that I just overthought.

Dec 26, 2021 11:58 AM

Apr 2012
SgtBaitMan said:
RobertBobert said:

Well, they were insignificant, so it's alright if you didn't see them, but I agree with you that romance wasn't the main topic of this anime. You can settle with that I just overthought.

Well, no one forbids you to read it as something romantic, just personally I don't understand when people try to see same-sex innuendos in any melodramatic power of friendship. As if to be with someone close platonically means to be completely emotionless.
Dec 26, 2021 12:01 PM

Nov 2019
RobertBobert said:

Well, no one forbids you to read it as something romantic, just personally I don't understand when people try to see same-sex innuendos in any melodramatic power of friendship. As if to be with someone close platonically means to be completely emotionless.

Well, you can settle with me having overthought, which indeed I did. Hope I haven't done any harm.

Dec 30, 2021 3:54 PM

Jan 2015
First half masterpiece but second half disappointing

1st half 10/10 (good job like sakura quest)
2nd half 3.5/10 (slave work labor)
Overall score: 7/10
DamanksDec 30, 2021 4:07 PM

Dec 30, 2021 5:44 PM

Mar 2021
Really love this anime, one my favorite for the past months <3

Everything is so beautiful, so cozy, made me feel a lot of emotions, and of course making me wanna go to an aquarium IRL and apreciate it more than before !

And this finale is perfect, he'll have a special place in my fav animes.
Dec 31, 2021 1:13 PM

Dec 2010
still a solid anime P.A work kept the quality up the whole way through

still dont get that little dude with the red hair
Jan 9, 2022 7:22 AM
Mar 2012
Kukuru's White dome wedding setup so beautiful, and cape penguin ring bearer lol.
expected timeskip
Kukuru's new hair looks nice & mature. Something happening with Karin & Kuuya id like to kno more...
Omg Shiratama x Choko the ship we never expected, congrats lol. Tho Kai been unfortunately ignored last half season, the main friend-ship Kukuru & Fuuka concludes the show surrounded by flowers & Kijimunaa.
I like how each has their own career progressions, like chef Udon & Akari.
PA Works did even better with their work sols. A combo of depression, work conflicts, marine education, beautiful underwater art & comfy character relations.
Jan 9, 2022 7:30 AM

Apr 2012
gophercg said:
Kukuru's White dome wedding setup so beautiful, and cape penguin ring bearer lol.
expected timeskip
Kukuru's new hair looks nice & mature. Something happening with Karin & Kuuya id like to kno more...
Omg Shiratama x Choko the ship we never expected, congrats lol. Tho Kai been unfortunately ignored last half season, the main friend-ship Kukuru & Fuuka concludes the show surrounded by flowers & Kijimunaa.
I like how each has their own career progressions, like chef Udon & Akari.
PA Works did even better with their work sols. A combo of depression, work conflicts, marine education, beautiful underwater art & comfy character relations.

It looks like in 2021, writers still believe that romance will distract and ruin any show about friendship, even if the accents are set well enough to prevent it from happening.
Jan 10, 2022 10:39 PM

Aug 2020
that whole scene with kai and penguin relationships was based.

what a great journey tho. It ended really well. Quite open but had a nice theme of finding what you want to do in life, I think that resonated with me a lot. Things aren't always going to end up how you think it would be. You will have doubts about the path that you chose, and that's okay. At the end of the day it is up to you to make your decision the right one. Show was really comfy at times and knows how to hit the right spots.

I would've loved to more of gramps and the stuff he did to gain the title of legendary aquarium keeper.

the yuribait was strong in this one but it doesn't bother me in the end that much. I like how fuuka and kukuru's relationship is the way it is right now.

8/10
Jan 11, 2022 12:21 AM

Apr 2012
dompsterfire said:
the yuribait was strong in this one but it doesn't bother me in the end that much. I like how fuuka and kukuru's relationship is the way it is right now.

8/10

Do you awere that when the authors show how strong ang good the friendship of the characters is, it does not yet mean that they want you to ship them?
RobertBobertJan 11, 2022 12:24 AM
Jan 11, 2022 2:18 AM

Aug 2020
RobertBobert said:
dompsterfire said:

8/10

Do you awere that when the authors show how strong ang good the friendship of the characters is, it does not yet mean that they want you to ship them?
i mean yeah the ship thing is just me and some headcanons. Like I said it doesn't really bother me that it didn't end how I thought it would.
Jan 11, 2022 2:21 AM

Apr 2012
dompsterfire said:
RobertBobert said:

i mean yeah the ship thing is just me and some headcanons. Like I said it doesn't really bother me that it didn't end how I thought it would.

Well, I don't see a problem if you ship them, but that doesn't make the show yuri bait yet.
Jan 11, 2022 2:37 AM

Aug 2020
RobertBobert said:
dompsterfire said:

Well, I don't see a problem if you ship them, but that doesn't make the show yuri bait yet.
I'd say there were some moments that hinted there was more than just platonic feelings between the two hence why I ship them but on that also partly comes from headcanon.

I'm not really down for an argument as to whether this classifies as yuribait or not so I'll just give you this one.
Jan 11, 2022 2:42 AM

Apr 2012
dompsterfire said:
RobertBobert said:

I'd say there were some moments that hinted there was more than just platonic feelings between the two hence why I ship them but on that also partly comes from headcanon.

I'm not really down for an argument as to whether this classifies as yuribait or not so I'll just give you this one.

Interpretations of the moments are also doesn't something bad. It's just that all this does not mean any intentional ship baiting on the part of the authors.
Jan 15, 2022 1:24 AM
Jan 2021
To be honest I felt good after watching this, the ending was really satisfying for a slice of life. I am gonna miss this anime soon and one of the dark horse in Summer 2021. Thank you P.A. Works for "The Aquatope on White Sand".
Jan 24, 2022 7:15 AM

Jun 2020
I’ll miss them!! I really liked the characters & it was so beautiful to watch, and the music from the OPs, EDs to the OST, maaaan it makes me want to visit Okinawa.

The cute kijimuna always made me smile♡

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Jan 31, 2022 2:40 PM

Jul 2015
Nice wrap-up, I quite like the somewhat realistic, original story on working in an aquarium with the subtle mystic side popping up involving the kid spirit and the beautiful dream sequence.

Mar 16, 2022 3:42 PM

Apr 2020
I expected better.
I liked the first half better than the second.
Still good overall.
7/10
Go watch Gintama boyo/grill
My discord server for gaming and anime/manga: https://discord.com/invite/4mqXfNEJ9A
May 14, 2022 8:08 AM

Mar 2017
This was such an amazing anime! So full of heart and the coming-of-age aspects were beautiful and relatable. It was so lovely to see an anime about a deep platonic love too ♥️

I feel so proud of the characters having come so far and found a place for themselves where they’re all happy and fulfilled. We need more anime like this in the world 🥰
May 31, 2022 12:09 AM
Oct 2012
Ahhhh another magic anime from P.A works after sakura quest.. I wanna see more of them but at the same time I'm glad it ended that way.

Was a good journey together with them in this anime world. 9/10.
Jun 12, 2022 9:05 PM

Mar 2013
Great ending, yup it is heartwarming to see the two of them together again.
I'm also glad there's not a hint of yuri in this series, only pure women chasing their dreams.
There's also some guys but we didn't get much from them in terms of man & woman relationship...
Like Kukuru x Kai and Karin x Kuuya...
This is such an inspiring series even if the animation were up & down.
The OP1&OP2 were great to listen to before watching the story each episode.
The ED of course were slow and steady...
8/10...
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Jun 23, 2022 9:28 PM

Apr 2016
A fitting finale for a dull show with poor character writing with probably Chiyu being the big exception, the second part had potential to improve the weak first part but it just went the same way by dragging itself to a point it never got any emotional pay off.

I did enjoy whining about it, though.
Jul 1, 2022 6:47 AM

Feb 2014
I'm not sure where people saw yuri in this. Maybe it's because I haven't been watching anime all that much these days, so I'm not in that shipping mindset anymore, but right from the beginning they literally treated each other like sisters, and not in an "incest is wincest" kind of way either.
Kukuru always wanted an onee-chan, so she treated Fuuka as one, and Fuuka being naturally calm, caring and sacrificial, humored her and fell into that role. But by the end they started to realize that they were becoming too codependent and using each other as a crutch, so they decided to grow up and become proper friends.

Overall, this was probably the blandest one out of all PA Works' "Cute Girls Doing Work Things" anime. This ain't no Hanasaku Iroha (still their best show) or even Sakura Quest. None of the characters stood out all that much. They were all too hollow, and poorly recycled from their previous shows. The music was quite good though, especially the one with the Shamisen(?). 6/10.
Jul 1, 2022 6:53 AM

Apr 2012
Vhailor said:
I'm not sure where people saw yuri in this. Maybe it's because I haven't been watching anime all that much these days, so I'm not in that shipping mindset anymore, but right from the beginning they literally treated each other like sisters, and not in an "incest is wincest" kind of way either.
Kukuru always wanted an onee-chan, so she treated Fuuka as one, and Fuuka being naturally calm, caring and sacrificial, humored her and fell into that role. But by the end they started to realize that they were becoming too codependent and using each other as a crutch, so they decided to grow up and become proper friends.

Overall, this was probably the blandest one out of all PA Works' "Cute Girls Doing Work Things" anime. This ain't no Hanasaku Iroha (still their best show) or even Sakura Quest. None of the characters stood out all that much. They were all too hollow, and poorly recycled from their previous shows. The music was quite good though, especially the one with the Shamisen(?). 6/10.

The theme of surrogate siblings and excessive codependency is actually a very popular motif in Japanese culture, but modern Western audiences are more obsessed with the idea that if female characters are close, then yuri baiting them.
Jul 1, 2022 10:39 PM

Feb 2014
RobertBobert said:
Vhailor said:

The theme of surrogate siblings and excessive codependency is actually a very popular motif in Japanese culture, but modern Western audiences are more obsessed with the idea that if female characters are close, then yuri baiting them.

Yeah, I could at least understand if it was something like Hibike Euphonium, but here it was made explicitly clear how they saw each other. There was no romantic feelings between them. Just friendship between two regular girls.
Sep 23, 2022 4:08 PM

Jul 2016
Don't let this fluffy and super positive ending distract you from the fact that this show practically encourages the idea of corporate slavery and that if it's with a good incentive, it's okay for you to get flooded with tons of work till you mentally collapse.

Overall, another P.A. Works' original that ends up being more visuals and animation than actual quality writing. First cour was mediocre with maybe too much unnecessary melodrama but second cour was plain bad given how they handled the whole Tingaara arc. Fuuka was demoted to a secondary character when she was supposed to be a co-protagonist, Kai's sub-plot regarding his romantic feelings for Kukuru was thrown to the trash bin, Kuuya's supposed trauma with women never passed the "unfunny gag" stage, the NONSENSE of having Chiyu getting mad at some carefree teenagers because of a situation she put herself into, the disappointing resolution of the plot-line regarding Kukuru's dead sister during Cour 1 and my god, to this day, I still fail to understand the point of having Higa (glasses dude) becoming part of the cast. We never knew anything about him except for the fact that he's a fish-con and that he was done dirty during the Hawaii project because "plot". So again, why including him at all?

4/10 - Also having Rikako Aida playing an Idol role but never hearing her sing once. Now that's underwhelming.
Sep 23, 2022 4:14 PM

Apr 2012
SouthRzVa said:
Don't let this fluffy and super positive ending distract you from the fact that this show practically encourages the idea of corporate slavery and that if it's with a good incentive, it's okay for you to get flooded with tons of work till you mentally collapse.

Overall, another P.A. Works' original that ends up being more visuals and animation than actual quality writing. First cour was mediocre with maybe too much unnecessary melodrama but second cour was plain bad given how they handled the whole Tingaara arc. Fuuka was demoted to a secondary character when she was supposed to be a co-protagonist, Kai's sub-plot regarding his romantic feelings for Kukuru was thrown to the trash bin, Kuuya's supposed trauma with women never passed the "unfunny gag" stage, the NONSENSE of having Chiyu getting mad at some carefree teenagers because of a situation she put herself into, the disappointing resolution of the plot-line regarding Kukuru's dead sister during Cour 1 and my god, to this day, I still fail to understand the point of having Higa (glasses dude) becoming part of the cast. We never knew anything about him except for the fact that he's a fish-con and that he was done dirty during the Hawaii project because "plot". So again, why including him at all?

4/10 - Also having Rikako Aida playing an Idol role but never hearing her sing once. Now that's underwhelming.

Considering how much was planned, but as you yourself admitted, did not end with anything, I think that they simply did not have enough time or budget. Even though it was two cour anime, did they really create a lot more subplots than they could reveal within a show of this length (again, as you yourself have already noticed, Kai's plot was clearly cut short, not left open, and as I said, hints of chemistry between Kuuya and his classmate also went nowhere) ? I doubt it could get a second season.
Dec 11, 2022 2:02 AM
Jul 2018
I'm assuming that last line of the episode was one of those Japanese things that doesn't translate well. Seems like it has something to do with their names but if anyone in the future sees this after watching the series and knows Japanese enough to explain it would be much appreciated.
Jan 14, 2023 4:18 PM

Dec 2020
I enjoyed watching this anime, but i can't help but feel that something was lost since it went from gama gama to tingara.
Dec 11, 2023 5:15 PM

Nov 2022
Such a great anime, I didn't expect to learn so much about real life and sea animals. There were so many beautiful moments, the animation was great, they took all these characters onto a long journey full of growth, definitely going to miss this slice of life.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shiroi Suna no Aquatope Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 9, 2021

78 by basskiller »»
Dec 10, 2023 6:06 PM

Poll: » Shiroi Suna no Aquatope Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2021

74 by basskiller »»
Dec 10, 2023 12:00 AM

Poll: » Shiroi Suna no Aquatope Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 25, 2021

85 by basskiller »»
Dec 8, 2023 5:35 PM

Poll: » Shiroi Suna no Aquatope Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 18, 2021

105 by basskiller »»
Dec 5, 2023 1:00 AM

Poll: » Shiroi Suna no Aquatope Episode 19 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2021

41 by basskiller »»
Dec 3, 2023 9:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.