Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 15, 2021 8:22 AM

Nov 2011
The level of determination though....

While I'm not a fan of the story so far, Meiya really has a way of expressing herself. Only one episode left but I'm not hoping my breath. This feels like it's going to be rushed to the finale after all the buildup including this episode. The cliffhanger, yikes.

Dec 15, 2021 8:24 AM
Oct 2020
The good
-Tama
-the VN OST

The bad
-Sagiri is still there

There isn't much happening I guess.
Dec 15, 2021 8:46 AM
Nov 2014
The OST is brilliant. The story pacing in the last few episodes took a slower turn I wasn't expecting at all, so we're not even going to see the XM3 trials take place on the 10th if we're still on the night of 5th/6th. But that's alright, it just shows how much folks were worried about reaching Sadogashima based on the trailer having Sado charts, when the charts probably had to do with E01 more than Operation 21st anyway :D
Dec 15, 2021 9:28 AM
Feb 2015
This is probably the best episode to date, but the rushing is obvious. There's barely any feeling put into the reading, it's like they're just quick reading the script within allocated timeframe.
Dec 15, 2021 9:29 AM
May 2016
I can't defend this shit anymore. What a disgrace to the source material
- Walken was never convinced this fast. He looks like a clown in this ep
- Yuuhi has a much more mellow personality and never yells.
- Ayamine raging???
- Sagiri's facial expressions
Seems like the only highlights are the TSF actions after all. Please at least end the show on a high note.
Dec 15, 2021 9:37 AM
Feb 2015
lanphung said:
- Ayamine raging???
Seems like the only highlights are the TSF actions after all. Please at least end the show on a high note.

Sagiri's facial expression during the Meiya scene is probably done to reflect on as per what Yoshimune-sensei confirm, Sagiri was aware that Meiya isn't the real Shogun and he didn't expose it because he also deems Meiya as an individual worthy with the stature of a shogun.
Dec 15, 2021 9:47 AM
May 2016
ixarising said:
lanphung said:
- Ayamine raging???

Sagiri's facial expression during the Meiya scene is probably done to reflect on as per what Yoshimune-sensei confirm, Sagiri was aware that Meiya isn't the real Shogun and he didn't expose it because he also deems Meiya as an individual worthy with the stature of a shogun.

I know, however the original CGs had sagiri barely expressing emotions while talking his heart out. He was taking it all in by himself without letting others know.
Dec 15, 2021 9:48 AM

Jul 2017
How strange that I find that Miki's VA is similar or the same exact person whom sang the children's promise song at the start of Komi.

But otherwise, this civil war that has gone on for far too long, and suddenly we're talking about interpersonal stuff and how to defeat the BETA. The Meiya living splitting image that is Tsukuymi really stepped to the plate to affirm the alliance of Japan and USA forces, and to oversee this mission until the end.

Probably the only episode where everything feels at the very least consistent, but the ending next week will be unbelievably rushed to oblivion. Not like I ever cared for this adaptation in the first place being an anime-only that got too confusing.
KANLen09Dec 15, 2021 9:52 AM
Dec 15, 2021 9:56 AM
Feb 2015
lanphung said:
ixarising said:

I know, however the original CGs had sagiri barely expressing emotions while talking his heart out. He was taking it all in by himself without letting others know.

Well i guess they wanted him to show more feelings in the anime, though i think being stoic would be better like you.
Dec 15, 2021 9:57 AM
Feb 2015
dailybread said:
The good
-Tama
-the VN OST

The bad
-Sagiri is still there

You miss out the biggest bad. The asshole subordinate of Walken. Not Irma but the other one that appear beside Irma when Yuuhi gathered everyone.
Dec 15, 2021 10:58 AM

Jan 2008
the next episode gotta be 45 minutes.
Dec 15, 2021 11:21 AM
Oct 2020
Sexy shots of Meiya/Yuuhi today.

It was good and the OST was epic, although the camera made me a little dizzy at first.
Dec 15, 2021 11:33 AM

Apr 2018
lanphung said:
- Ayamine raging???

ixarising said:

Well i guess they wanted him to show more feelings in the anime, though i think being stoic would be better like you.

Yeah the facial expressions were all over the place in this episode. In the original it was a very solemn and serious affair. Here why is everybody having the most exaggerated possible manga face after hearing only one sentence... smh (The conversation between Miki and Irma as well). The way Takeru requested to speak was also rendered in an absolutely comical way. Combined with the music and the colorings etc., the mood was completely changed.
sho52Dec 15, 2021 11:48 AM
Dec 15, 2021 11:40 AM

Apr 2018
They seem to translate one key sentence of Yuuhi wrong: She said literally "There will not always be a way that satisfies everybody's wishes", and AFAIK the English translation of the VN was correct. I don't understand why the translator here felt the need to translate it as "there will not always be a correct choice", which misses the important point entirely.

AFAIK the paragraph was much longer than this, and the anime translator in all likelihood doesn't know the whole story until the end, so they don't have the context to understand the importance of the original sentence. What a shame though, as this is undoubtedly a sentence that remains crucial throughout the whole story.
Dec 15, 2021 11:45 AM

Apr 2018
ixarising said:

You miss out the biggest bad. The asshole subordinate of Walken. Not Irma but the other one that appear beside Irma when Yuuhi gathered everyone.

I always thought it was Walken who triggered Irma to attack lol. So it was actually the idea from a dumbass subordinate after all then.

And AFAIK Kouki said in an interview that Irma was triggered by a trigger word that works on her subconsciousness. The depiction in this episode looks so dramatic and unconvincing smh.
Dec 15, 2021 12:23 PM

Jan 2009
we saw the Finland turn USA pilot to have some sort of disorder or in drugs so she got some Insanity Defense going on for this sudden attack

and the Meiya twins are the (Sex) Symbols of Nationalism
Dec 15, 2021 1:08 PM

May 2019
sho52 said:

Yeah the facial expressions were all over the place in this episode. In the original it was a very solemn and serious affair. Here why is everybody having the most exaggerated possible manga face after hearing only one sentence... smh (The conversation between Miki and Irma as well). The way Takeru requested to speak was also rendered in an absolutely comical way. Combined with the music and the colorings etc., the mood was completely changed.

I haven't read the manga yet, but I've been told the anime is closer to an adaptation of that than the VN (eg how it completely skipped the CCSE and adapted the scene with the Valkyries fighting Sayoko), so I wouldn't be surprised if it's just another case of following the manga's take on this arc instead of the VNs
Dec 15, 2021 1:54 PM
Jan 2019
I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Although I would have prefered to not have an ending on this one and allow for some more silence to let those scenes- most of which in this episode I thought were good - sink in some more. The curse of adapting visual novels I guess.
Dec 15, 2021 1:57 PM

May 2018
WTF, at first I thought that it was only Sagiri at play here, and now there is a 3rd party at play, who could it be???
Dec 15, 2021 2:03 PM

Apr 2018
FinalReality56 said:
sho52 said:

I haven't read the manga yet, but I've been told the anime is closer to an adaptation of that than the VN (eg how it completely skipped the CCSE and adapted the scene with the Valkyries fighting Sayoko), so I wouldn't be surprised if it's just another case of following the manga's take on this arc instead of the VNs

Definitely. And the manga doesn't seem to be that much purchased (seeing from Amazon JP's data) or that highly rated... A proper anime adaptation of Alternative IMO should actually take the effort to properly digest the source material and then produce something with it as the basis. I'm watching Fruits Basket right now (relatively early so not sure of the plot twists and final ending yet) since I'm curious why it's rated so highly everywhere, and I wanted to check out how some shoujo stuff is like anyways. I can see this adaptation probably stayed very faithful to the source, to the extent that some parts could feel drawn-out and boring to me. But once I got myself to sit down and watch through it, the worldbuilding felt great. I checked and saw that Fruits Basket the manga has 23 volumes, while its anime has 63 episodes... Not to mention how for example the Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu anime has 110 episodes.

I mean when this is a secondary adaptation of Alternative (i.e. VN -> manga -> anime, which doesn't even seem to refer to the VN that much, which unfortunately screams "lazy" and "lacking sincerity" with few excuses) they should really say it as what it is. I'm not sure if I'd recommend the manga to anybody new to the series, and definitely even less sure about recommending the anime now, even if they might not have time to read the VN. For me I'll just go forward with the mentality of enjoying the animated battle scenes after seeing how egregiously they (either the manga or the anime) handled and altered such parts...
sho52Dec 15, 2021 2:13 PM
Dec 15, 2021 2:28 PM

May 2019
sho52 said:
FinalReality56 said:

Definitely. And the manga doesn't seem to be that much purchased (seeing from Amazon JP's data) or that highly rated... A proper anime adaptation of Alternative IMO should actually take the effort to properly digest the source material and then produce something with it as the basis. I'm watching Fruits Basket right now (relatively early so not sure of the plot twists and final ending yet) since I'm curious why it's rated so highly everywhere, and I wanted to check out how some shoujo stuff is like anyways. I can see this adaptation probably stayed very faithful to the source, to the extent that some parts could feel drawn-out and boring to me. But once I got myself to sit down and watch through it, the worldbuilding felt great. I checked and saw that Fruits Basket the manga has 23 volumes, while its anime has 63 episodes... Not to mention how for example the Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu anime has 110 episodes.

I mean when this is a secondary adaptation of Alternative (i.e. VN -> manga -> anime, which doesn't even seem to refer to the VN that much, which unfortunately screams "lazy" and "lacking sincerity" with few excuses) they should really say it as what it is. I'm not sure if I'd recommend the manga to anybody new to the series, and definitely even less sure about recommending the anime now, even if they might not have time to read the VN. For me I'll just go forward with the mentality of enjoying the animated battle scenes after seeing how egregiously they (either the manga or the anime) handled and altered such parts...

The manga is officially translated (partially, there's still a few volumes left to be released and iirc it's digital only which may be why it doesn't have as many sales at least in English), and I've heard it's pretty good but better as a supplement to the original VN than a replacement for it. It adds a lot of scenes that weren't in the VN (since the source only follows Takeru's perspective and the manga can show other characters' views), so you get more characterization and backstory for side characters, as well as explanations for things that weren't fully spelled out on the VN.
The other main issue is the fact that they skipped Extra and Unlimited. Alternative gets all the acclaim for the Muv-Luv series and I get that they wanted to jump to the cool robot parts, but it doesn't change the fact that it's the third part of a story that requires the background to have the proper emotional impact.
Dec 15, 2021 3:06 PM

Oct 2010
At least they seem to be ending this cour with what they are good with: mecha action scenes.
Dec 15, 2021 3:45 PM

Apr 2018
FinalReality56 said:

The manga is officially translated (partially, there's still a few volumes left to be released and iirc it's digital only which may be why it doesn't have as many sales at least in English), and I've heard it's pretty good but better as a supplement to the original VN than a replacement for it. It adds a lot of scenes that weren't in the VN (since the source only follows Takeru's perspective and the manga can show other characters' views), so you get more characterization and backstory for side characters, as well as explanations for things that weren't fully spelled out on the VN.
The other main issue is the fact that they skipped Extra and Unlimited. Alternative gets all the acclaim for the Muv-Luv series and I get that they wanted to jump to the cool robot parts, but it doesn't change the fact that it's the third part of a story that requires the background to have the proper emotional impact.

I think at least the original Japanese version was released in paper format https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/%E8%92%94%E5%B3%B6-%E6%A2%93/dp/4048670492/

Yeah, I think "better as a supplement to the original VN than a replacement for it" is really spot on. I also remember Kouki mentioning the manga providing perspectives from other characters. I'm sure the vast majority of the manga readers came from the original VN. This anime is like strictly adapting some supplemental material to Alternative which itself builds upon Extra + Unlimited... But tries to market itself to newcomers to the series, which would only end in confusion for them.
sho52Dec 16, 2021 1:53 AM
Dec 15, 2021 4:00 PM
Oct 2020
ixarising said:
dailybread said:
The good
-Tama
-the VN OST

The bad
-Sagiri is still there

I'm not sure what you are talking about.
Dec 15, 2021 4:02 PM
Oct 2020
KANLen09 said:
How strange that I find that Miki's VA is similar or the same exact person whom sang the children's promise song at the start of Komi.

But otherwise, this civil war that has gone on for far too long, and suddenly we're talking about interpersonal stuff and how to defeat the BETA. The Meiya living splitting image that is Tsukuymi really stepped to the plate to affirm the alliance of Japan and USA forces, and to oversee this mission until the end.

Probably the only episode where everything feels at the very least consistent, but the ending next week will be unbelievably rushed to oblivion. Not like I ever cared for this adaptation in the first place being an anime-only that got too confusing.

Nah. For once, it probably won't be rushed.
Dec 15, 2021 5:18 PM
Feb 2015
dailybread said:
ixarising said:

Wait what!? The guy appearing beside Irma and behind Walken when Yuuhi gathered everyone. That guy, you don't know who he is? He's the jerk who hacked Walken's Raptor? His job is to kill the shogun.
Dec 15, 2021 5:21 PM
Feb 2015
sho52 said:
ixarising said:

I always thought it was Walken who triggered Irma to attack lol. So it was actually the idea from a dumbass subordinate after all then.

And AFAIK Kouki said in an interview that Irma was triggered by a trigger word that works on her subconsciousness. The depiction in this episode looks so dramatic and unconvincing smh.

It's drug and hypnotism. The trigger word is just a trigger for the hypnotism to activate. They drugged her and use hypnotism to control her.
It's the same method used on Takeru during the XM3 trial.

The thing why Walken is so likeable is that he's a nice guy. He doesn't go do all this stupid background politics to start a coup or put human lives at stake when there's a global threat happening.
That's why he was so pissed off by the coup wasting so many lives.
ixarisingDec 15, 2021 6:08 PM
Dec 15, 2021 6:20 PM
Oct 2020
ixarising said:
dailybread said:

Wait what!? The guy appearing beside Irma and behind Walken when Yuuhi gathered everyone. That guy, you don't know who he is? He's the jerk who hacked Walken's Raptor? His job is to kill the shogun.

I know who he is. And I already said it.
Dec 16, 2021 2:34 AM

Jul 2019
Good episode even if a bit rushed and with weird voice acting.

I hope they'll knock it out of the park with the action next week.
Dec 17, 2021 8:47 AM

Jan 2008
For those who says this show is garbage because of confusion, the main story is not there, too much dialogue and etc..... have never had the patience or plow thru the story yet. Ep 1 is a prologue of BETA Invasion in other parts of Japan, Ep 2-4 is basic character introduction and development, and how to strategize for the better of mankind, Ep 5-7 is testing the phase of the mecha and improvement and how to hop between worlds the MC live in. Ep 8-12 is the start of battle arc with civil war on why the rebel want to take back to Japan roots that is currently under UN law. Even tho BETA has invaded Earth, there will still be someone who is off from reality. Not every episode gotta be a battle episode, leave more room for other stuff like character development, mecha development, lore development, etc.... If every episode is a battle episode with zero character development, zero mecha development, zero lore development, then this would have been REAL HOT GARBAGE for sure.
TPatrioticOtakuDec 17, 2021 8:55 AM
Dec 18, 2021 5:13 AM
Oct 2020
planetwarrior said:
For those who says this show is garbage because of confusion, the main story is not there, too much dialogue and etc..... have never had the patience or plow thru the story yet. Ep 1 is a prologue of BETA Invasion in other parts of Japan, Ep 2-4 is basic character introduction and development, and how to strategize for the better of mankind, Ep 5-7 is testing the phase of the mecha and improvement and how to hop between worlds the MC live in. Ep 8-12 is the start of battle arc with civil war on why the rebel want to take back to Japan roots that is currently under UN law. Even tho BETA has invaded Earth, there will still be someone who is off from reality. Not every episode gotta be a battle episode, leave more room for other stuff like character development, mecha development, lore development, etc.... If every episode is a battle episode with zero character development, zero mecha development, zero lore development, then this would have been REAL HOT GARBAGE for sure.

Given all the action scenes we've seen, more action scenes would actually make the anime more interesting (and arguably better) to the anime-onlies than it is now.
Dec 18, 2021 6:04 AM
Dec 2021
dailybread said:
planetwarrior said:

Given all the action scenes we've seen, more action scenes would actually make the anime more interesting (and arguably better) to the anime-onlies than it is now.
Where would you put them
Dec 18, 2021 6:44 AM
Oct 2020
Seeker1995 said:
dailybread said:

Where would you put them

anywhere they put their shitty 2d at
Dec 18, 2021 6:47 AM
Dec 2021
dailybread said:
Seeker1995 said:
Where would you put them

You cant put any mecha action before training
Dec 18, 2021 7:04 AM
Oct 2020
Seeker1995 said:
dailybread said:

You cant put any mecha action before training

They already did. What did you think ep 1 was about?
Dec 18, 2021 7:33 AM
Dec 2021
But without Main characters
Seeker1995Dec 18, 2021 7:41 AM
Dec 18, 2021 8:05 AM
Oct 2020
Seeker1995 said:
But without Main characters

If less MCs equals a better anime than I'd gladly take it
Dec 20, 2021 9:58 AM

Jan 2008
dailybread said:
planetwarrior said:

Well too bad more action and less story would make zero sense at all to ppl who's been following the story that's been build up for a while. The noob anime-onlies skip too many detailed dialogue to know what's going on. Ppl need to know the story of what's going to happen and something that's unpredictable. Way too much action is boring, and way too much talking also boring, but this is pretty much a balance in between in the plot. Getting to know these unknown/undeveloped characters is also another way of getting the story engaged. That's why most non-mecha fans don't like mecha anime because it's too focused on mecha actions and mecha itself than stories and character developments.

The noob anime-onlies just love to shit on character development and build-up anime series than action-oriented less story driven characters anime.
Dec 21, 2021 5:23 AM

May 2012
This anime is so bad. Noting good about it

Only reason I'm watching it because I watched previous Muv Luv anime spin's off (Total Eclipse and Schwarzesmarken). But this one feels worse in every way. Boring characters and story feel rushed, confusing and uninteresting, and also lack any fanservices

Also, what is this parallel worlds shit ?? I don't remember previous Muv Luv anime had any of this shit
thepathDec 21, 2021 5:34 AM
Dec 21, 2021 8:12 AM

Jan 2008
thepath said:

Only reason I'm watching it because I watched previous Muv Luv anime spin's off (Total Eclipse and Schwarzesmarken). But this one feels worse in every way. Boring characters and story feel rushed, confusing and uninteresting, and also lack any fanservices

Also, what is this parallel worlds shit ?? I don't remember previous Muv Luv anime had any of this shit

New to Muv-Luv franchise eh? Muv-Luv franchise is different from the rest of any franchise.

It's a multi-genre franchise that doesn't focus on one genre. You have romcom and mecha.

Muv-Luv have many parallel worlds that some don't occur each other and some does.

Here are the complete list: https://muvluv.com/en/world/

Titles include Muv-Luv Extra(romcom), Muv-Luv Unlimited(mecha), Muv-Luv Unlimited: The Day After(mecha), Muv-Luv Alternative: Chronicles(mecha), Muv-Luv Supplment(romcom), Muv-Luv Altered Fable (romcom), Lost Duty Arcadia(mecha), and of course Total Eclipse and Schwarzesmarken.

And there are upcoming title in these timelines, Muv-Luv Resonative (mecha) and Muv-Luv Integrate (mecha).

And if you're just basing on anime, your lost right there. Anime are only there for advertisement to their game titles.
TPatrioticOtakuDec 21, 2021 12:31 PM
Dec 22, 2021 3:23 AM
Feb 2015
thepath said:

This is the original story. Muv-Luv is a VN from 2003 & 2006. It has 3 part. Extra > Unlimited > Alternative.
Total Eclipse is a side story to Alternative. The 2nd portion of the story (only available in VN) is related to Muv-Luv Alternative.
Schwarzesmarken is a story that took place 18 years before Alternative timeline. It's not really related to Alternative much because it's kinda like its own story.

I've seen people say Schwarzesmarken or Total Eclipse is better but they need to understand 1 thing. Those series have the advantage where they don't need to do any world building, they're just using an existing concept and do a story with that concept. Muv-Luv is the ones doing all the world, concept, technology building etc.

Muv-Luv Alternative is the story where humanity gain the momentum or advantage to win the war against the BETA.
ixarisingDec 22, 2021 3:27 AM
Dec 22, 2021 7:39 AM
Oct 2020
thepath said:

No shit it's boring. There is no character interaction whatsoever. There is no context. No background. They cut it all out in favor of infodumps. Infodumps are pretty enjoyable in the VN but not in an anime with limited screen time.
Dec 23, 2021 5:21 PM
Mar 2012
first half talk so hyperspeed.
all of Tama lol
Finland immigrant mindcontroled? Hmm using free immigrants risk their lives for citizenship... questionable foreign policy. Lots of rush but hints of interesting politics.
Excellent speech from Meiya disguised, more passion than real shogun, balanced without the jingoism in some shows.

Dec 26, 2021 3:27 PM

Mar 2010
A helluva lots of talking and honestly I couldn't care less about this whole debacle of rebel vs the un, but twas not a bad speech. Man when will we see the beta's rape everyone? getting impatient lolz.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jan 19, 2022 6:35 AM

Jul 2008
Of course there is a third party involved....nice knowing you Irma.
Nov 16, 2022 7:04 PM

Jul 2009
Damn they are really dragging this shit out.. eh hopefully next season is better.. the low score for this series is totally deserved

More topics from this board

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2021

82 by Unkrowned »»
Jul 11, 2023 4:31 AM

» Why fans are OVERREACTING.?

Sandro8604 - Oct 14, 2021

46 by koneroko »»
Dec 27, 2022 4:09 PM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2021

44 by MoeMoeKyun »»
Nov 16, 2022 6:44 PM

» There is no Muv Luv Alternative anime ( 1 2 )

OppaiSugoi - Oct 13, 2021

63 by ixarising »»
Oct 8, 2022 11:19 PM

» Do I have to watch the parent story?

Kappejoj - Sep 22, 2021

21 by Animaniaig »»
Oct 6, 2022 9:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.