Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Dec 10, 2021 6:48 PM
Jan 2021
So I am planning to watch it but before that I have some questions.
Does the anime cover whole ln and if not I have heard it also got manga adaptation so after anime where can I start manga if manga is ahead of anime.
And please don't recommend me to read ln as I don't like reading ln.
And I heard this series ending sucks, is it true.
And at last can someone tell me a proper watch order of this series.
Dec 10, 2021 7:07 PM
Aug 2021
Great anime. Watch the anime. Then watch the movie. And then watch the spin off series. I never read the manga though i do own the first vol. The best episodes were the endless eight. Make sure you don't skip those episodes. Have fun watching it. Hopefully youll enjoy it as much as i did the first time i watched it. The whole plot is magnificent. The music is great. The characters are loveable. The animation was kinda iffy but dont let that take away from your enjoyment.
Dec 10, 2021 7:27 PM
Jul 2020
I recommend watching the episodes in chronological order. Original release order is fine for a rewatch, but it’s a little too confusing for your first time. When you get to the Endless Eight arc, watch it until it makes you angry and then skip to the last episode of the arc.
Dec 10, 2021 7:33 PM
Jul 2018
Watching in chronological order is best I feel like .
I think the Ln is still going on so I guess the whole story isnt animated but the movie is the perfect way to end the series

As for endless eight I highly recommend not to skip it as it makes the movie experience better in every way ( trust )

No the ending does not suck
Dec 10, 2021 7:37 PM
Jan 2021
Rinnegoat said:
I think the Ln is still going on so I guess the whole story isnt animated but the movie is the perfect way to end the series

As for endless eight I highly recommend not to skip it as it makes the movie experience better in every way ( trust )

thanks for the information and is endless eight that bad.
Dec 10, 2021 11:12 PM
May 2021
The anime is great and also the endless eight arc is very confusing but good you have to watch until the end.The movie is also great.
Shibam Dey
Dec 10, 2021 11:30 PM
Jun 2021
As others have said, watch in chronological order and as much of the endless 8 as you can manage. Then watch the movie. If you're still interested, then you can start reading from Vol 10 of the Manga.
Dec 11, 2021 12:30 AM
Sep 2020
Gabbar101 said:
Rinnegoat said:

thanks for the information and is endless eight that bad.

Endless eight is pretty much the most edgy joke ever made in anime.

It's basically the same episode 8 times in a row. They're like 95% identical, with little changes here and there, but nothing that changes the plot itself. What is crazy is that every episode is equal, but different. Different angles, takes, clothes, but the same situations. KyoAni literally produced 8 full different episodes, which is really absurd and tells how much they gambled taking this direction. I think you gotta watch it as much as you can bear, then go to the last of them. Still, there's a very important reason for it to happen, and it was meant to make you feel just like the characters are. Those events are really important for the develop of the story, so you must face it.

Moreover, Haruhi Suzumiya has only a few of its story adapted to anime. If I'm not mistaken, the author had some issues with the anime production and decided to veto any other anime adaptations after that, so it's pretty much a dead end. At least, what was adapted ended amazingly, the anime movie is really great and satisfactory.
droppa121Dec 11, 2021 12:35 AM
Dec 11, 2021 2:28 AM

May 2019
The 2 seasons and the movie are enough to enjoy it. Then there is the yuki nagato spin off which you can watch if you want. I heard they were planning a 3rd season but cuz of corona and the fire it got delayed. Idk if it's true tho.
Dec 11, 2021 7:22 AM
Jul 2021
Rinnegoat said:

Ehhehhehe, endless eight is the best anime arc ever)
Dec 11, 2021 8:58 AM

Apr 2018
The first season was ok, a boring 2nd season, but the movie was GREAT, this is my opinion and the order of watching, also the LN didn't end yet, it was on hiatus for years but a new volume (12) released late 2020. the two seasons adapted the first 3 LN volumes, the movie adapted the fourth, there's a manga but only the half of it got scanlated.
Dec 11, 2021 2:26 PM
Jul 2018
Since the answer to the simplest question you asked is buried under walls of text for some reason (that reason being the fact that MAL users are more concerned with looking smart than being helpful), the answer is no; the anime does not fully adapt the LNs.
Dec 14, 2021 6:22 PM
Aug 2020
The anime at the moment doesn’t cover the whole light novel, although I’ll point out that the light novel isn’t finished, and, if KyoAni feels like it, there is now probably enough material for a third season. I don’t know much about the manga so I can’t say if it goes further than the anime. As for the ending of the anime: IT’S REALLY GOOD. The last part of the anime to be adapted was “The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya”, and is arguably the most beloved part of the entire series. It doesn’t necessarily close off the series, although the ending as a whole is very heartwarming and does a lot for the characters’ development. There are quite a few ways to watch the anime, but the best way is the chronological order. Most places that have it will have it in that order. If you notice that the first episode listed is “The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya I”, and “The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina” is listed as (I think) episode 25, or at least somewhere close, then you’re all good to go. Oh, and if you watch it like that, please note that the last episode of the TV anime doesn’t really have any kind of ending, but that’s sort of what the movie is for (which is, again, really good).

More topics from this board

» "chronological order" and my utter disgust for it

Tsuna-Ryu - Apr 15

36 by YukariKatsuragi »»
Apr 16, 11:49 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 23, 2008

87 by Unoriginality »»
Apr 11, 9:50 PM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

abhin4v - Mar 2, 2008

93 by S4dnu »»
Apr 11, 5:47 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AgathaKazar - Jul 19, 2008

99 by S4dnu »»
Apr 9, 5:39 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Scribbly - Jul 26, 2008

101 by Alkimia »»
Feb 29, 9:02 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.