Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 8, 2021 8:37 AM

Nov 2011
An intense episode but felt like it didn't progress the story much.

Still, it was a fight for survival in such a desolate world filled with enemies and danger. The fight itself took quite a toll on Takeru and the squad. A lot of anxiety this episode tbh.
Dec 8, 2021 8:45 AM
Oct 2020
The good:
-We got more action scene delivered by the valkyries which is nice
-Isumi
-Even more action scene
The bad:
-The pill argument took as long as you'll expect.
-Sagiri is still there
Dec 8, 2021 9:02 AM
May 2016
So they are adapting the manga afterall. If things progress this way 3 cours are possible and needed.

Good ep, action-wise. Stellar 3DCG as usual. 2D QUALITY is not particularly visible since they obviously invested a lot in the last 3 eps. However I like this arc in the VN more because they just dropped sagiri out of nowhere instead of building up the ambush like this. Hope meiya will get some screentime in ep 10.
Dec 8, 2021 11:16 AM

Jul 2019
I liked this episode a lot and that's why i'm even more upset about the wasted potential.

That being said, the score is still way too low
Dec 8, 2021 12:01 PM

Oct 2012
I thought this episode was comically melodramatic and found the Shogun's voice acting laughable. I just don't have enough to go on to care for most of the characters.
Dec 8, 2021 12:03 PM

Sep 2010
Had no clue what was going on, who was who and what they all fighting for...
I dont follow the franchise, but having watched the other series, I thought, why not, but I'm feeling this is worse than the other ones so far...
I don't expect justice. I expect revenge, even if it solves nothing in the end.
I don't expect redemption. I expect decadence and self destruction.
I don't expect compassion. I expect selfishness.
I don't expect people making choices. I expect a cruel fate forced upon them.
Dec 8, 2021 12:24 PM

Jan 2009
the mecha action was cool again

and the Shogun is still alive thats good i thought Meiya will take over her
Dec 8, 2021 12:37 PM

Feb 2019
If you can trust that these guys are so loyal to the shogun...then couldn't she have just stayed in Tokyo and told them to stand down, instead of running off for UN protection?
Dec 8, 2021 2:04 PM

Apr 2018
modboy said:
I thought this episode was comically melodramatic and found the Shogun's voice acting laughable. I just don't have enough to go on to care for most of the characters.

Djisas said:
I dont follow the franchise, but having watched the other series, I thought, why not, but I'm feeling this is worse than the other ones so far...

I think the treatment in the original VN might be better than the manga adaption. But yeah, this part is hard to fully grasp even if you read the novel in full length and even with the help of a decent understanding of Japanese politics and history, so no surprise that people would easily get lost by watching the anime only.

And nah, this is the highest rated visual novel of all time for a reason. Just wait for the whole wild ride to chart its course. The plot will never be as convoluted to comprehend as in the coup arc, so things should get easier to follow starting from the second cour. In fact you could regard the coup as a relatively standalone episode in Alternative, but the meat of the plot development is yet to come :)
sho52Dec 8, 2021 2:08 PM
Dec 8, 2021 2:25 PM

Jul 2017
From this point onward, it's all trying to be as close to the VN as possible.

As an anime-only, I just really couldn't care a lot for the story it's trying to foretell, and that's ever more egregious because of Takeru's wishy-washy actions in the midst of war while the rest are fighting for their lives.

Just gonna let the rest play it out to see what will happen.

@sho52 thanks for the clarification, that explanation really helped a lot. Still feeling very lost though.
Dec 8, 2021 2:35 PM
Jan 2019
HOOfan_1 said:
If you can trust that these guys are so loyal to the shogun...then couldn't she have just stayed in Tokyo and told them to stand down, instead of running off for UN protection?

They did, of course, but the Shogun is more of a symbolic figure at this point in time and does not hold any real power (which is one of the things the coup forces lament, this is not communicated very clearly in the anime, unfortunately). They would definitely not listen to her while still under what they consider "corrupting" influences.
Dec 8, 2021 3:03 PM
Oct 2020
Pull up.

This episode was so epic.
Dec 8, 2021 3:12 PM

Apr 2018
HOOfan_1 said:

I think they mentioned in the last episode that the anti-insurrection forces don't respect the shogun very much.

Also, the insurrection force is loyal to the shogun, but exactly for this reason, they think she's under the undue influence of the current Japanese government and the Americans etc., and therefore they have to put her under their protection in order to realize their vision (which they simply assume is also what the shogun would have wanted), while from shogun's perspective she can't let it happen for various reasons (e.g. not the least because the battle would become more white-hot in the middle of the capital, and this would only divide the country further, etc.)
Dec 8, 2021 3:17 PM

Apr 2018
KANLen09 said:

As an anime-only, I just really couldn't care a lot for the story it's trying to foretell, and that's ever more egregious because of Takeru's wishy-washy actions in the midst of war while the rest are fighting for their lives.

@sho52 thanks for the clarification, that explanation really helped a lot. Still feeling very lost though.

Yeah they incorporated some additional material from the manga, which probably in a way made the arc more drawn-out and confusing lol. I see that apparently the original VN readers overall are enjoying seeing the actions animated, while a lot of anime-onlys are feeling lost at the plot.

If some predictions on the pacing are accurate, then the whole second cour could be a rollercoaster for audience coming from all backgrounds :) (Even though the effect would still be stronger with Extra + Unlimited serving as the buildup).

And BTW if by "wishy-washy actions" you mean the triazolam thing, it's an important setup in the overall plot so there's a reason for it to be there, even though I can totally understand how it might seem like an unnatural and forced event (I still do to some extent after finishing the whole VN lol). You will understand the point of the scene some time down the line. I'll not go into details here of course.
sho52Dec 8, 2021 3:32 PM
Dec 8, 2021 3:56 PM

Jul 2019
Yeah, looking at the replies it's clear that the main problem here is the lack of buildup and characterization from Extra and Unlimited.

Even when shit hits fans it doesn't/won't matter because there is no reason to care about anyone.

It doesn't help the fact that this arc is filled with tons of political dialogue that gets confusing in anime format.

As a VN reader i'm enjoying it but it's very clear that this anime as a standalone is very poor and would never work even with a better adaptation.
Dec 8, 2021 3:57 PM
Feb 2015
HOOfan_1 said:

That's the issue, even if the real Shogun ask the coup forces to stand down and the coup forces really stand down, will the government do so? The government already treats the Shogun as nothing more than a figurehead for their own use or agenda. Even if the coup surrenders, the gov may just continue to attack the rebels without regards to the Shogun's request because they aren't loyal to her.
Dec 8, 2021 5:34 PM
Feb 2015
Fax001s said:
Yeah, looking at the replies it's clear that the main problem here is the lack of buildup and characterization from Extra and Unlimited.

Even when shit hits fans it doesn't/won't matter because there is no reason to care about anyone.

It doesn't help the fact that this arc is filled with tons of political dialogue that gets confusing in anime format.

As a VN reader i'm enjoying it but it's very clear that this anime as a standalone is very poor and would never work even with a better adaptation.

Yup, i think they could've done something like maybe 2 special 1 hour episode for Extra & Unlimited to do some basic world building. I've seen people asking why the coup happen this time, that's because they have no prior knowledge of Unlimited.
Dec 8, 2021 5:44 PM
May 2016
Alternative was capable of being a standalone read since it was sold separately. Even without unlimited people can still understand what's going on since they repeat some details again and again
Dec 8, 2021 6:22 PM
Feb 2015
lanphung said:
Alternative was capable of being a standalone read since it was sold separately. Even without unlimited people can still understand what's going on since they repeat some details again and again

That's because the VN went long and detail enough on the flashback on the critical parts, but even then it didn't show the exact details of every events. Right now you're talking about a 1 cour anime here. If every episode is about 23 minutes, that's right 4 hours 36 minutes only. To do so with such limited time frame is impossible from the start. If you remove the first episode, that would leave about 4 hours 13 minutes to condense up so much content.

Did the anime even show Takeru explaining to Yuuko about the evacuation mission? Why Takeru wanted to avoid that mission? Maybe they will show it next episode, but even then you already make people confuse by then to even care anymore.
ixarisingDec 8, 2021 6:26 PM
Dec 8, 2021 6:46 PM
May 2016
From what I've seen animeonlies seem to get the gist of what's going on and the numbers of seeders still show interest in the show so I don't think they did an absolute WORST job in terms of explaining. The mountain evacuation was given enough details through meiya so i don't see a problem with it. This is a nice fanservice to the creed so i'm completely satisfied for now.
Dec 8, 2021 11:12 PM
Feb 2015
lanphung said:
From what I've seen animeonlies seem to get the gist of what's going on and the numbers of seeders still show interest in the show so I don't think they did an absolute WORST job in terms of explaining. The mountain evacuation was given enough details through meiya so i don't see a problem with it. This is a nice fanservice to the creed so i'm completely satisfied for now.

I've seen people asking how the coup didn't happen in the previous loop which didn't really get explain.
Dec 9, 2021 3:08 AM
Nov 2017
Loved this one. Imagine they put the same amount of effort that they did in this episode for the previous ones. God damn it. Infuriating.
Dec 9, 2021 7:17 AM

Nov 2017
Huh, they're actually given this arc more episodes than I thought. Given how they blazed through a lot Sonic speed (hee) up to this point I thought that they were just going to run through this part too
Dec 9, 2021 9:03 AM

Jul 2017
sho52 said:
KANLen09 said:

Yeah they incorporated some additional material from the manga, which probably in a way made the arc more drawn-out and confusing lol. I see that apparently the original VN readers overall are enjoying seeing the actions animated, while a lot of anime-onlys are feeling lost at the plot.

If some predictions on the pacing are accurate, then the whole second cour could be a rollercoaster for audience coming from all backgrounds :) (Even though the effect would still be stronger with Extra + Unlimited serving as the buildup).

And BTW if by "wishy-washy actions" you mean the triazolam thing, it's an important setup in the overall plot so there's a reason for it to be there, even though I can totally understand how it might seem like an unnatural and forced event (I still do to some extent after finishing the whole VN lol). You will understand the point of the scene some time down the line. I'll not go into details here of course.
Yeah, I'd thought as so.

With many interatives of Muv-Luv, I understand that the anime is "supposedly" a gateway for newcomers, but it's very clear that unless you have some knowledge of the franchise, otherwise you won't really understand what's going on. Still very poor as an anime adaptation regardless.
Dec 9, 2021 2:15 PM

Jul 2012
This would indeed be a much better anime to watch if only it was a sequel to at least some movie adapting at the very least some little things from Extra and a chunk of Unlimited content overall. As an adaptation it's doing a really nice job, but as a standalone anime product, it lacks some rather important information in order for one to fully grasp what the coup is even about (like some other users above stated).

This is one of those examples of a good adaptation ruined by the fact they didn't adapt what came before it, so there's a gap that makes for a confusing experience for people not familiar with that.

For a recent example, there was Rozen Maiden's latest anime, which is a sequel to the manga counterpart that tries to cram a bunch of stuff from the manga that differs from the anime in the first episode (like, 10 volumes supercut in 22 minutes), and all of the rest is a great adaptation for the manga sequel lol.

Same can be said for Kuroshitsuji's latest TV anime, it tries to standalone out of the anime original continuity and have an extra episode to give more or less the context to comprehend what happened that far in with some flashbacks and anime original content (like this anime did), equally also growing up to be the best adaptation of the manga content so far.

This happens here and there, and I have a couple of other examples more reboot-ty in nature (the rush to get into uncharted territory in FMAB's adaptation for one).

The difference is that those had more flaws due to continuity errors because of some clearly retconned information. MLA's adaptation luckily don't have that mess in its clunky beginning since it's literally starting its first try with the sequel content already, what it's missing is some relevant information that hurts the anime only viewing (at least until they decide to actually adapt the skipped content of the trilogy, which I kinda doubt).

If they do however, this anime could be retroactively much better appreciated.

Anyway, another pretty good episode, just rough around the edges when it comes to standalone experiences. What a shame in that regard, really.

Dec 10, 2021 12:17 AM

Jun 2014
This episode pretty much solidified my opinion of this adaptation.

I don't think it's that bad of an adaptation, it has a lot of flaw(especially in 2D art/animation, direction and music) but at least the pacing is pleasant for a refresher of the VN. But dear god, this episode reminded me that I sure couldn't care less about the plot and the characters just like how I felt in the VN.

At this point I'm probably just here for the actions scenes and I hope they can beat the insane actions scenes of the VN.
Dec 10, 2021 7:10 AM
Jun 2014
Thai777 said:
This episode pretty much solidified my opinion of this adaptation.

I don't think it's that bad of an adaptation, it has a lot of flaw(especially in 2D art/animation, direction and music) but at least the pacing is pleasant for a refresher of the VN. But dear god, this episode reminded me that I sure couldn't care less about the plot and the characters just like how I felt in the VN.

At this point I'm probably just here for the actions scenes and I hope they can beat the insane actions scenes of the VN.

I agree, it's not the worst adaptation ever. I honestly think that without context the early hours of Alternative just aren't great source material. Better direction for the anime would have fixed that, IMO, but the interesting parts of the story seem largely intact.
Dec 10, 2021 6:08 PM

Feb 2016
Djisas said:

I recognized Akane. I have no idea who any of her comrades are supposed to be.

Danpmss said:
For a recent example, there was Rozen Maiden's latest anime, which is a sequel to the manga counterpart that tries to cram a bunch of stuff from the manga that differs from the anime in the first episode (like, 10 volumes supercut in 22 minutes), and all of the rest is a great adaptation for the manga sequel lol.

Same can be said for Kuroshitsuji's latest TV anime, it tries to standalone out of the anime original continuity and have an extra episode to give more or less the context to comprehend what happened that far in with some flashbacks and anime original content (like this anime did), equally also growing up to be the best adaptation of the manga content so far.

I had no trouble understanding either of those reboots.
その目だれの目?
Dec 12, 2021 12:51 PM

Oct 2010
There are dozens of characters I could not care less doing something. Fighting, dying, talking.
And protag is not doing anything. You can replace him with a log and nothing will change.
Last two episodes could be cut out without anything lost to the story.
It is given that twins card will be played and the rest is just a drag.
Dec 13, 2021 3:17 AM

Jan 2016
Adaptations like Umineko and ReWrite have a score of 6.5 - 7+ while this has a 5.99

Why need haters when the fans will kill the series itself for them, pathetic
Dec 13, 2021 4:12 AM
Oct 2020
FireFistYK said:
Adaptations like Umineko and ReWrite have a score of 6.5 - 7+ while this has a 5.99

Why are you so mad? The rating fit your criteria perfectly. Anime that had potential but couldn't deliver.
Dec 13, 2021 4:33 AM

Jan 2016
dailybread said:
FireFistYK said:

Why are you so mad? The rating fit your criteria perfectly. Anime that had potential but couldn't deliver.

I'm not really mad, I just think that people are overreacting a bit on here. I think it's a fine anime that definitely captures the overall feel of Muv Luv even with its shortcomings. Also, A 5.99 at MAL doesn't equal what I feel, anime that are rated as "bad" are often under 7, not to speak of those under 6.
Dec 13, 2021 1:03 PM

Jul 2012
Lucifrost said:
Djisas said:

I recognized Akane. I have no idea who any of her comrades are supposed to be.

Danpmss said:

I had no trouble understanding either of those reboots.

Eh, that's not really the issue here. It's more on the fact that you either are knowledgeable about the multiple continuity issues and retcons, or won't get much of a thing on them both as standalones. So I assume you were at least familiar with their content in the first place, because the stuff missing on those reboots as standalones paints a rather positive light for this adaptation, really haha
Dec 15, 2021 2:58 PM

Oct 2010
Just wanted to say that the TSF mecha action scenes of this arc are pretty darn good.
I obviously already know the plot, so gimme some badass TSF action eyecandy and im content lol.
Dec 20, 2021 1:16 AM
Mar 2012
Valkyries fights animated quite well, also megane of ep1. Should intro these characters properly someday.
that twins backstory
Walken keeping it real with intense argument. aint a doc but the motionsickness & sadative parts all quite questionable.
Dec 26, 2021 3:00 PM

Mar 2010
Its funny how this is all unfolding, it all started all complicated and with many emotions with some science... but not its shoot shoot shoot yikes return the hime lolz.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jan 16, 2022 8:21 AM

Dec 2008
I took a break after episode 6, when I came in again I thought that could get awesome, but this Shogune rescue mission or whatever really crashed this season.

I understand what they wanted to express, but it is meaningless actually.
It would have been easier to give her a proper pilot suit instead of discussions about the pros and cons of medicine usage for two episodes.

An anime about Beta without beta XD I guess they won't get a second more of screentime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 17, 2022 6:46 AM
Dec 2021
@Fabienne
Muv luv got second cour on fall 2022
Jan 17, 2022 6:53 AM

Dec 2008
Seeker1995 said:
@Fabienne
Muv luv got second cour on fall 2022
That is good, enough time to clear the VN
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 17, 2022 6:55 AM
Dec 2021
@Fabienne
There should be a lot of beta in next cour
Jan 17, 2022 7:14 AM

Dec 2008
Seeker1995 said:
@Fabienne

I hope so ^^
the infighting among the allies was just sad, when there is a bigger threat around.
Jan 19, 2022 6:05 AM

Jul 2008
Well she survived at least, but now it's a good old stand off.
Jan 20, 2022 5:49 AM
Feb 2015
Fabienne said:
Seeker1995 said:
@Fabienne

I hope so ^^
the infighting among the allies was just sad, when there is a bigger threat around.

This is always a major theme in Muv-Luv Alternative and a theme they've continuously input into their later series like in Total Eclipse there's the terrorist attack. In Schwarzesmarken, there's the infighting with Stasi. Humans infighting with each other even with the threat like BETA.
Oct 10, 2022 5:24 AM
Dec 2021
Fabienne said:
Seeker1995 said:
@Fabienne

I hope so ^^

Did you heard about russian revolution during WW1
Nov 16, 2022 6:44 PM

Jul 2009
The series was pacing decently up until now... suddenly everyone is just standing still and monologuing.. sad this pointless civil war is getting stretched out so much, as several characters have mentioned none of this shit matters with humanity on the brink of extinction vs killer aliens zzzzz

More topics from this board

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2021

82 by Unkrowned »»
Jul 11, 2023 4:31 AM

» Why fans are OVERREACTING.?

Sandro8604 - Oct 14, 2021

46 by koneroko »»
Dec 27, 2022 4:09 PM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2021

45 by MoeMoeKyun »»
Nov 16, 2022 7:04 PM

» There is no Muv Luv Alternative anime ( 1 2 )

OppaiSugoi - Oct 13, 2021

63 by ixarising »»
Oct 8, 2022 11:19 PM

» Do I have to watch the parent story?

Kappejoj - Sep 22, 2021

21 by Animaniaig »»
Oct 6, 2022 9:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.