Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 26, 2021 9:14 PM
Mar 2015
After reading some more comments and thinking about it a bit more, I actually don't think many people in here can relate to Kukuru at all.

What were Kukuru's duties back in Gama Gama? Please remember that at one point, Umi-yan was out of commission with a bad back, her grandfather was busy finding new homes for the animals, and Kai and Fuuka were not hired yet. The only people managing the aquarium were her and Kuuya. Not to mention she had school, so she could only drop by the aquarium after classes were over.

Her duties were no less than preparing feed, cleaning animal waste, managing the aquarium's finances, managing, ordering, and restocking inventory, interacting with and giving tours to customers, nursing injured animals, planning events, and so on. Her workload is no less than that of a small business owner.

What are her duties now at Tingarla? Typing up reports and drafting event plans. Do not tell me her workload is anywhere near that of what she had to deal with at Gama Gama. She goes home on time with Fuuka and hangs out at the Ohana diner with her friends more than often enough, yet you guys act like she's working overtime every day.

Is she being given challenging work? Yes. Does she enjoy her current work? Not really. Does Suwa have the same share of workload as her? Maybe not. Is Suwa bad for her mental health? Yes.

However, is Kukuru actually being given more work than she is capable of? I heavily disagree.

Also, while trouble at work might have contributed to her stress, I don't think that it is the primary reason she ran away. Her attachment to Gama Gama is closer to that of an owner than an employee; can someone who poured their own money, blood, sweat, and tears into nurturing a business be so casual when it collapses and accept working for someone else? No matter which aquarium hires her, it will never replace Gama Gama.

I think the eventual path she will take is rebuilding it with her own hands, but with only 3 episodes left I'm not sure that will happen.
Nov 26, 2021 9:46 PM
Jul 2021
AkeZZZ said:
The island that Kukuru has visited seems to be Iejima.

In the anime, they call it "Yameruna" which doesn't actually exist and translates to "don't quit".

The island itself takes a lot of inspiration from the real life Kuroshima, which is famous for its extremely large cow population as well as its sea turtle research center.
Nov 26, 2021 10:01 PM

Apr 2014
ltz0108 said:
AkeZZZ said:
The island that Kukuru has visited seems to be Iejima.

In the anime, they call it "Yameruna" which doesn't actually exist and translates to "don't quit".

The island itself takes a lot of inspiration from the real life Kuroshima, which is famous for its extremely large cow population as well as its sea turtle research center.

From its location which can be easily accessed from Okinawa for both Kukuru and Fuuka and from its shape, as well as, its geographical features. The island resembles Iejima. However, the island itself can also be a mixture of smaller islands in the archipelago as well. It is a fictional island after all, so they can put several features of the Okinawan Islands and mix them together into one new island.

何それ?意味分かんない
Nov 26, 2021 10:02 PM

Oct 2016
Beautiful episode, the island Kukuru was at was really visually impressive and of course the turtle hatching scene.

Kukuru definitely deserved a break, but it was really irresponsible to take a break in the middle of a project and without notice. But I do agree with Misaki, she's gonna get scolded anyway later, so might as well enjoy and recharge now lmao.

Fuuka punching the air like Kukuru was really adorable.

The legend returns, Choco is finally coming back! Really looking forward to the next episode.
Nov 26, 2021 10:57 PM

Oct 2008
oh no! Kukuru/Plankton is gonna have a hard sermon from her pirate b0ss! HAHAHA!
oh nature! good to see turtle hatchlings come-out! that was very nice!
5/5.

Nov 27, 2021 1:47 AM

May 2020
Finally mustered up some courage and ran away, so she can thank that poor presentation of her. But what now, will she return to her workplace? Well it is advisable in not doing so.
Nov 27, 2021 4:32 AM

Aug 2013
Judgment526 said:

Way to completely miss the point. I see people like you still fail to understand that when an employee fails to show up at work having not given advanced notice, this creates an extra burden for the employees left behind because there wasn’t sufficient time to arrange for someone to sub-in for the missing employee.

I didn't even talk about this though. People are trashing Kukuru for 3 episodes already.
Judgment526 said:

I guess you have never worked before, if you’re spouting ignorant nonsense like this.
Haha. Ha. Ha.
But okay, you're partially right.
Well, yes. I never worked in big copro or company with copro atmosphere and it won't change.
Also, you're talking about ignorance and coming to idiotic conclusions and you're the one who is completely missing the point of my post (additionally overinterpreting it) and not taking into consideration her situation at all.
rsc-plNov 27, 2021 4:39 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Nov 27, 2021 6:28 AM

Dec 2008
Everyone blaming Kukuru here simply has no heart.

it has been quite obvious that the job doesn't match with her abilities.
Kukuru likes animals and knows everything about them, marketing is something else entirely.yes,maybe she is too stupid for that job, those males pushing that position onto her are assholes, they only want to break her.no one ever asked her if she is ok with her job.

For her own good I want to see her getting fired.
Good luck with finding another obedient idiot.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 27, 2021 11:37 AM
Aug 2017
rsc-pl said:

I didn't even talk about this though. People are trashing Kukuru for 3 episodes already.

And she deserved every bit of it..!! (lol)

Fabienne said:

Kukuru likes animals and knows everything about them, marketing is something else entirely.yes,maybe she is too stupid for that job, those males pushing that position onto her are assholes, they only want to break her.no one ever asked her if she is ok with her job.

Did Kukuru have a heart when she decided to ditch her job and friends??? Did she have a heart when said friends were worried sick for the girl???

People aren't criticising the character because they have "no heart", people are criticising the character because she is being a selfish and shitty person. But at least she feels remorse, which means she is aware she is being dumb, so that's something. She just needs to own up to it after messing it up.

I mean just imagine you have to make a group project with someone, and you and your buddy agree to do 50/50 each, so is easier and more convenient on both sides. You agree on a date to meet up and do the thing together because you have a deadline. Now, the day comes but your buddy doesn't show up. You try to get a hold of them, text them, call them, but no answer. Now you are stuck in a situation where you have to take on the project all by yourself or get someone else to help you out. Either way it sucks and you got screwed. THIS, is what Kukuru created when she decided to bail like she did, and THIS is what people have a problem with.

If she went "well fuck it i deserve a break" and called faking being sick, nobody would complain (or they would, but more on the lines of how she still can't face shit head on or whatever and not about how she is still an immature and selfish person). But, well, this wasn't the case. Suwa explains the situation to Fuuka in a pretty straightforward way: Kukuru had responsibilities and they were in the middle of a project he entrusted her with. Where did that trust take him? To Kukuru skipping because she is having a big sad and can't take failure and someone lying to his face. No wonder he gave no fucks when Fuuka talked to him.

And "those males"... Smh. Where do I even begin? So would you rather have them be women, then it would be okay??? Way to be sexist and having double standards lol...

One of those "males" is her grandfather, the very reason she is even able to get close to an aquarium in the first place and one of the people she quite literally owes her entire life to. He is doing this because Kukuru apparently can't even accept being told she sucks at giving massages. She needs to grow and struggle a bit. She can't be coddled forever, that's messed up.

Realistically, Kukuru can't be fired. Because she is got that position out of pure privilege, and nothing else. However, If she were to get fired, rest assured they can just hire a graphic design graduate or literally anyone else who would actually want the job. Is not that they can't, they are doing this because of Kukuru's connections. They wouldn't need "luck" and certainly they would be better off with a smart and competent worker. But alas.

Tbf tho, Kukuru has demonstrated that she can do the job, she just doesn't want to do it and is acting like her little kid self in that one flashback. To me is wild she does this shit because she herself admitted this is temporary, so I don't get why can't she just suck it up and do it instead of sabotaging herself.
Nov 27, 2021 11:58 AM

Aug 2013
4561236 said:

Lol, dude, Seriously. I finished college a long time ago (and from my point of view it was generally a wasted time). WTF are you even talking about? Whare I said that having goals is a bad thing? It just doesn't have anything to do with being best at everything and wasting your life on pointless neverending competition. And no, I won't change my mind. Scholar systems in most countries are created to mass produce scared, obedient people that don't ask questions and are living as they were instructed.
And I don't even understand why are you forcing your strange ideas on me. I never said anything bad or judgmental about people that chosen this way of living themselves. My first post was about these people who choose this patch and not they are blaming and trashing other people - Kukuru in this case (without even taking into consideration her situation) that don't follow their "safe", instructed way of living.

So, about you among others.
And no, she don't. Even a bit.

Consider following:
1. Her age (she just finished her high school)
2. Her passions and how she was completely torn off from them forced to do an office paper works instead working with animals (it's like forcing athlete to do orator's job).
3. Her new job, that was literally the opposite of her experience, abilities and knowledge.
4. Her shitty manager (or whatever it's called) that is trying to trash her since day 0 knowing that she has no idea what she should do or even how she supposed to start
5. Shitty corpo slave propaganda (I still hope that PA Works won't be turning this series into corpo slave success story, because - as I said in previous thread - they did a pretty wonderful job with their previous series like Sakura Quest, Hanasaku Iroha etc)
And many other things.

And of course I forgot to mention about Okinawa and people that are living there, more precisely their way of living on the top of it.
Thanks @Teisatsu for pointing it out too.

I mean, I don't even know how you can even think about blaming her. It's ridiculous.
But when I read 2nd part of your post (2nd quote) I made my mind and I won't be replying to you anymore. I just don't understand how you can be THIS wrong.
rsc-plNov 27, 2021 2:28 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Nov 27, 2021 1:16 PM

Feb 2016
rsc-pl said:
Because you know, they feel mature this way. I mean there's no other explanation of this.
The other thing is that most people are growing up in societies that are teaching them how to be a perfect corpo slave (grading in schools or "learning useless things to be better then the rest = the most important thing to do" etc). Not many people are thinking and living differently, unfortunately.

I'll take your word for it, because I'm probably never going to understand those people's thoughts by myself.

And before all of those the large corporate lovers start guessing that I've never worked before, I can tell them that I have. A lot of years. Both in smaller colourful, and large soulless companies. But not in any work place that I've worked on, have I seen so bad middle management as in Tingarla, regarding putting 18-year old kids in wrong places, and give them too much independent work with no assistance and group assignments at all. I'm starting to guess that Suwa actually never have been in management before, because he doesn't seem to be aware of team work, nor the Japanese senpai/kouhai system where older employees look after and educates the new younger employees.
Just look at "Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi", which for a not very serious nonbiri-show, at they least got that part right and realistic.
TeisatsuNov 27, 2021 3:06 PM
Nov 27, 2021 1:18 PM
Aug 2017
rsc-pl said:
4561236 said:

Lol, dude, Seriously. I finished college a long time ago (and from my point of view it was generally a wasted time). WTF are you even talking about? Whare I said that having goals is a bad thing? It just doesn't have anything to do with being best at everything and wasting your life on pointless neverending competition. And no, I won't change my mind. Scholar systems in most countries are created to mass produce scared, obedient people that don't ask questions and are living as they were instructed.
And I don't even understand why are you forcing your strange ideas on me. I never said anything bad or judgmental about people that chosen this way of living themselves. My first post was about these people who choose this patch and not they are blaming and trashing other people - Kukuru in this case (without even taking into consideration her situation) that don't follow their "safe", instructed way of living.

So, about you among others.
And no, she don't. Even a bit.

Consider following:
1. Her age (she just finished her high school)
2. Her passions and how she was completely torn off from them forced to do an office paper works instead working with animals (it's like forcing athlete to do orator's job).
3. Her new job, that was literally the opposite of her experience, abilities and knowledge.
4. Her shitty manager (or whatever it's called) that is trying to trash her since day 0 knowing that she has no idea what she should do or even how she supposed to start
5. Shitty corpo slave propaganda (I still hope that PA Works won't be turning this series into corpo slave success story, because - as I said in previous thread - they did a pretty wonderful job with their previous series like Sakura Quest, Hanasaku Iroha etc)
And many other things.

I mean, I don't even know how you can even think about blaming her. It's ridiculous.
But when I read 2nd part of your post (2nd quote) I made my mind and I won't be replying to you anymore. I just don't understand how you can be THIS wrong.

I mean, you were literally there thrashing people who wanted to have good grades LOL Way to backpedal ig. Nobody is trying to "push ideas" on you, I'm just explaining things that don't seem to register in your narrow view of the world. Again, not everything falls into such a dichotomy, but you do you.

I don't get what you mean with Kukuru and choosing unconventional paths, either. Nobody is really talking about that. We know she choose """an unsafe path""" (I mean is on the title of the anime p much), nobody really has an issue with any of that and NOBODY is trashing Kukuru because her dream is to be an attendant. People have an issue with her being an irresponsible idiot, to sum it up.

Maybe nobody would blame her If she didn't decide on her own accord to fuck things up for herself when she didn't need to??? Nobody forced her to run away this ep, she did it because she was having a big sad/had a single bad day. And, again, for the eleventh time, the least she can do is be responsible and considerate and communicate properly with her office and friends. SHE is aware of what SHE did was fucked up. This is barely up to discussion.

Suwa is not trying to sabotage her, stop being delusional just because she got disciplined for her shit behavior towards her superior on her first day. That is not his fault, that is Kukuru's. Suwa has been extremely fair and patient with her, being fully aware Kukuru is there to learn and not getting on her ass for not being fully ready when he asked her to read shit and similars. Hell, he even trusted her enough (seemly) to give her the next project. How did she repay that trust?? By bailing on him and delaying the shit.

Is Suwa perfect by western standards??? No. Is his method of instructing Kukuru socially acceptable and common practice in the west? Nope. Is this a thing that can happen in JP, where this anime takes? Yes. You may not like it, but you don't need to. You just need to understand is a cultural thing and respect it.

The dude may not be cuddly, and be stereotypically harsh/serious, but he is far from being a demon.

Kukuru may be young and inexperienced in this field, but she has already demonstrated to be able to do the job, so your points all fall moot.

Honestly I can't understand how YOU can be THIS wrong and obtuse. I still don't see you make a single counterargument to any of the things people (me included) pointed out to you: How Kukuru bailing screws things up. Maybe is not nearly as catastrophic as It could be in other working places, but is still shitty and has consequences/ultimately delays their work. How her actions ARE selfish, even if she is hurting because she can't always have things her way and be coddled forever.

All I see of you is type how the office life is the devil and nothing else, so I guess that's all I can expect from you?? And why you never address any of the given points, but straight up refuse to engage unless It is to act condescending.

Thanks for answering my other question tho!
Nov 27, 2021 1:26 PM
Aug 2017
Teisatsu said:
rsc-pl said:
Because you know, they feel mature this way. I mean there's no other explanation of this.
The other thing is that most people are growing up in societies that are teaching them how to be a perfect corpo slave (grading in schools or "learning useless things to be better then the rest = the most important thing to do" etc). Not many people are thinking and living differently, unfortunately.

I'll take your word for it, because I'm probably never going to understand those people's thoughts by myself.

And before all of those the large corporate lovers start guessing that I've never worked before, I can tell them that I have. A lot of years. Both in smaller colourful, and large soulless companies. But not in any work place that I've worked on, have I seen so bad middle management as in Tingarla, regarding putting 18-year old kids in wrong places, and give them too much independent work with no assistance and group assignments at all. I'm starting to guess that Suwa actually never have been in management before, because he does not seem to be aware of team work, nor the Japanese senpai/kouhai system where older employees lock after and educates the new younger employees.
Just look at "Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi", which for a not very serious nonbiri-show, at they least got that part right and realistic.

Nah, the thing is you won't see the other side of the kouhai/senpai shit where said senpai can act the way Suwa does. Why? Because is not cute. But the reality is, they can and basically they have the right to not answer your questions or give you everything on a silver platter If they don't feel like it. Is not exactly common, but It can happen (especially If you piss your super serious superior on the first day oops. Then you gotta earn it boi).

Just saying, but Suwa actually gave Kukuru instructions before she went bananas and ditched the ship. Same with trusting her with the new project etc etc.

Nov 27, 2021 2:00 PM

Feb 2016
It seems like no one here knows that there is quite a few differences between Okinawan culture and mainland Japanese culture. Even though centralist propaganda teaches about "homogeneous people" in curtain countries, the truth is a little more complicated. Okinawa is more laid back than mainland Japan, and obviously Suwa is an outsider from the mainland. Therefore it might well be a double culture crash here with both the sizes at the companies, and the (for native Okinawans) "foreign" harsh culture.

For the part that senpais can treat kouhais like shit: Of course they can. But that will ultimately affect badly upon the company. Why would these senpais want to make thing difficult for the whole company?

Of course Kukuru is not doing a good job. Teenagers fresh out of high school tend to perform rather badly when they are left alone in her situation, with poor guidance. What's new? It was very wrong to run away like that. If she'd been bit older and wiser (maybe in her early 20's), she hopefully would've handed in her resignation before leaving. If they still refused to give her a position where she would contribute greatly to the company.
TeisatsuNov 27, 2021 3:01 PM
Nov 27, 2021 10:12 PM

Sep 2013
I'm not crying! Nope! Not me.
(waaaaa!)
This is one of the best shows I've ever seen, I could watch another 24 easy.
Nov 28, 2021 6:11 AM

Dec 2008
4561236 said:

Fabienne said:

Did Kukuru have a heart when she decided to ditch her job and friends??? Did she have a heart when said friends were worried sick for the girl???

People aren't criticising the character because they have "no heart", people are criticising the character because she is being a selfish and shitty person. But at least she feels remorse, which means she is aware she is being dumb, so that's something. She just needs to own up to it after messing it up.

I mean just imagine you have to make a group project with someone, and you and your buddy agree to do 50/50 each, so is easier and more convenient on both sides. You agree on a date to meet up and do the thing together because you have a deadline. Now, the day comes but your buddy doesn't show up. You try to get a hold of them, text them, call them, but no answer. Now you are stuck in a situation where you have to take on the project all by yourself or get someone else to help you out. Either way it sucks and you got screwed. THIS, is what Kukuru created when she decided to bail like she did, and THIS is what people have a problem with.

If she went "well fuck it i deserve a break" and called faking being sick, nobody would complain (or they would, but more on the lines of how she still can't face shit head on or whatever and not about how she is still an immature and selfish person). But, well, this wasn't the case. Suwa explains the situation to Fuuka in a pretty straightforward way: Kukuru had responsibilities and they were in the middle of a project he entrusted her with. Where did that trust take him? To Kukuru skipping because she is having a big sad and can't take failure and someone lying to his face. No wonder he gave no fucks when Fuuka talked to him.

And "those males"... Smh. Where do I even begin? So would you rather have them be women, then it would be okay??? Way to be sexist and having double standards lol...

One of those "males" is her grandfather, the very reason she is even able to get close to an aquarium in the first place and one of the people she quite literally owes her entire life to. He is doing this because Kukuru apparently can't even accept being told she sucks at giving massages. She needs to grow and struggle a bit. She can't be coddled forever, that's messed up.

Realistically, Kukuru can't be fired. Because she is got that position out of pure privilege, and nothing else. However, If she were to get fired, rest assured they can just hire a graphic design graduate or literally anyone else who would actually want the job. Is not that they can't, they are doing this because of Kukuru's connections. They wouldn't need "luck" and certainly they would be better off with a smart and competent worker. But alas.

Tbf tho, Kukuru has demonstrated that she can do the job, she just doesn't want to do it and is acting like her little kid self in that one flashback. To me is wild she does this shit because she herself admitted this is temporary, so I don't get why can't she just suck it up and do it instead of sabotaging herself.

Lol this anime is surprisingly polarizing, isn't it?
I wonder if the people at PA Works had that intention of this.

My point is that I don't want to see more "Kukuru hating her job" it's not an interesting plot device anymore,
the way it's right now won't lead to anything if it isn't solved sometime before the end

I can't agree on much you've wrote, It's anime but you only see the adult, company perspective.

Kukuru didn't choose her position nor deserves it, nor shows much interest in it recently.
Do they seriously have no better person for the job, it's so staged?
Her being in that position is just playing russian roulette with the future of the aquarium at stake.

Doing a job you don't like doesn't show signs of growing up, it rather shows that someone
is unable to see an alternative or think much about their future on their own.
If she had more guts she could be an attendant like everyone else already, but no , we just see more of the same suffering.
Why do they only drag Kukuru trough the toilet, it's enough!

Sure it is unfair that she just skipped work, but she basically has no co-workers,
the Suwa dude offered no assistance in the wedding event planning, otherwise
Kukuru's (bad) suggestions wouldn't have been that obvious in front of the customer.
He let her run off a cliff blindly, without warning.

She already was pretty much suffering from depression when preparing her plan,
after it failed her depressive state just became worse, you would wonder how much a serious depression can do to the human mind and
behaviour, she didn't have the power to think of a safety excuse nor to talk about her friends about it.

Do you really want an end where Kukuru starts to love the marketing job, because
she suddenly has a change of mind? That would really surprise me, after all the suffering we have seen.

Don't take the "males" part too seriously, it was just kind of funny how those three decided something for her that she doesn't need.
Grandpa is somehow a cruel person, first giving her the director job of a dying aquarium, she should have focused on school instead lol.
Also why is Assistant director from hell her superior, didn't they know that he is not the right person to show the girl the ropes,
I can't take it seriously, he is like a bad actor just there for bootcamp Kukuru "maybe he is *shock*.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 28, 2021 6:16 AM

Dec 2008
4561236 said:

Just saying, but Suwa actually gave Kukuru instructions before she went bananas and ditched the ship. Same with trusting her with the new project etc etc.

Sure, he said use Google XD
Don't try to defend the bad "actor" when there is nothing positive about him ,
they didn't even give him 5 minutes of backstory, we don't even know what he is typing all the time.
Nov 28, 2021 7:57 AM
Aug 2017
Teisatsu said:
It seems like no one here knows that there is quite a few differences between Okinawan culture and mainland Japanese culture. Even though centralist propaganda teaches about "homogeneous people" in curtain countries, the truth is a little more complicated. Okinawa is more laid back than mainland Japan, and obviously Suwa is an outsider from the mainland. Therefore it might well be a double culture crash here with both the sizes at the companies, and the (for native Okinawans) "foreign" harsh culture.

For the part that senpais can treat kouhais like shit: Of course they can. But that will ultimately affect badly upon the company. Why would these senpais want to make thing difficult for the whole company?

Of course Kukuru is not doing a good job. Teenagers fresh out of high school tend to perform rather badly when they are left alone in her situation, with poor guidance. What's new? It was very wrong to run away like that. If she'd been bit older and wiser (maybe in her early 20's), she hopefully would've handed in her resignation before leaving. If they still refused to give her a position where she would contribute greatly to the company.

I think you are mistaken about that. The series hammered the point that they are in Okinawa and how "warm and nice" they are compared to mainland Japan since episode one. However I don't think this is relevant to the story in the way you mention, seeing they only bring this topic up as a plot device and nothing else.

We also don't know where Suwa is from, although I wouldn't be surprised If he was from Tokyo or something lol. He could be Okinawan for all we know. And we can't even go by the way they speak, seeing Kukuru is born and raised in there but seems to speak in standard japanese despite having two grandparents with thick accents.

Anyways, they also pointed out why they can't afford to fool around and be more "laid back" in the new aquarium. Is in the first few episodes of the new cour. It basically boils down to it being too big and needing good structure and organization. You can't have that If your employees are messing around and not taking things seriously. For the marketing department, this is even more important, seeing they are the ones in charge of promoting the aquarium and attracting customers to it.

If you have a shit employee you are probably not going to treat them nicely (common outcome in Japan). In Kukuru's case, she probably would have a dry but otherwise normal relationship with her boss If she wasn't dumb on her first day and the dude didn't need to put his foot down and let her know what she did was not acceptable. I get Suwa is not friendly, but you can't talk to your boss like that lol

It seems you understand there is a power dynamic in the whole "senpai/kouhai", "boss/employee" thing, so I'm assuming you understand that what Kukuru did was dumb as with a predictable outcome? Bosses aren't usually nice as senpai are, and exploit the "I don't have to answer that, you didn't earn it" thing more freely.

Yes, we all know Kukuru is young and fucks things up because she is young and has no experience and was coddled a good chunk of her life and is young. Glad we are on the same page on that. Are you saying she should be allowed to do whatever tf she wants, free of consequences, just because she is young??? Personally I disagree.

I can't feel for her when the recent chain of events is largely a result of herself. Sure, she is not doing the job she wants, but supposedly accepted this and resolved to work on it to get changed to the area she does want to be in. However, instead of focusing on her job, she tries to essentially procastinate to insert herself in the other departments. To a degree is kind of a meme in the aquarium. To the degree Garandou shows up and tries to snatch her when she is working (which seems to piss Suwa enough to give him a snarky remark lmao).
Nov 28, 2021 8:23 AM
Aug 2017
Fabienne said:
4561236 said:

Sure, he said use Google XD
Don't try to defend the bad "actor" when there is nothing positive about him ,
they didn't even give him 5 minutes of backstory, we don't even know what he is typing all the time.

No, he literally explained to her how she was meant to tackle the project. Research is fundamental in marketing, If she doesn't know from where to start, she would only be wasting time looking around everywhere else instead of focusing on specific information. He gave her actual, solid advice. I take it you are not all that familiar with either marketing or japanese culture in general?

I did realize after reading some responses that in the west is very common to act entitled and also is culturally acceptable to ditch a job you don't like in favor of chasing your dreams, even If they aren't safe or there is a chance you may not make it. So I shouldn't be surprised people think that strongly about the way Suwa treats Kukuru and whatnot. To me, his actions have context and make all the sense. And is kinda rare to see someone be brutally honest, which is kinda funny. Overall he is depicted in a way that is comically serious, because otherwise is gonna feel way too out of place in a cutesy anime like this.

A a few things to consider and address since you missed them entirely:

1) "you dont see anyone doing anything just kukuru!": Is because they are not central to the story. Karin is a perfect example of this. We know she is there working, and they even point out she is extremely efficient with her work. We don't get to see what her and Part timer girl are up to because the story is about Kukuru.

2) Suwa literally explained to Kukuru she wasn't meant to go to the meeting and ace it, but rather It was for them to figure out what they needed to do to satisfy the needs of their client. Very standard, marketing junk.

3) "something she doesnt need" Okay. So you think you know what she does need? I trust her grandpa more in that aspect. He is right afterall, Kukuru lives in a tank and hasn't really experienced a lot of things in life. They even gave a visual to emphasize this.

4) "If Kukuru had more guts she would be an attendant already" How exactly? By quitting?? And then what, hoping her grandpa's connections grant her a job at another aquarium, despite Chiyu pointing out there is a lot competition for those slots because there isn't a lot of aquariums in the country? Are you aware of how badly It would reflect from a job perspective on her that she just quit her job like that? How about the fact she CHOOSE to stay, and resolved to do so so she can be changed to be an attendant later? Are you going to dismiss her own choices???

Again, you seem to miss the fact that they shoved Kukuru in there because her grandfather wants her to expand her understanding of aquariums and use this as a tool to reach more folks and make them love fish. Is also not an entirely alien job she is doing, seeing she was literally doing marketing for Gama Gama. What changed now is that she has to organize it in reports.
Nov 28, 2021 9:26 AM

Oct 2007
Suwa was asking for it (Kukuru going awol), because teenagers like Kukuru can do impulsive crazy things when under enough pressure.
Nov 28, 2021 3:53 PM

Feb 2016
Fabienne said:
Lol this anime is surprisingly polarizing, isn't it?
I wonder if the people at PA Works had that intention of this.

It's almost as polarizing as ideology and party politics. Very impressive to make a simple TV series which can create these constructive discussions. This is a big part of why I keep watching these kinds of anime shows about real life.

4561236 said:

Yes, we all know Kukuru is young and fucks things up because she is young and has no experience and was coddled a good chunk of her life and is young. Glad we are on the same page on that. Are you saying she should be allowed to do whatever tf she wants, free of consequences, just because she is young??? Personally I disagree.

Of course her actions needs to lead to consequences for her. I'm glad that you understand that I'm not really defending Kukuru as an individual. I'm just very concerned about the bigger picture, in the regards that Tingarla seems to have problems with their management and leaders. Spontaneous kids like Kukuru and stiff cold (rather incompetent) managers like Suwa are the worst possible combination, but no one in Tingarla seem to understand this. Some third party needs to stop this bad circle of catch 22 in that office. Someone also needs to really reach Kukuru with an explanation, since she can't understand the bigger picture all by herself.
I guess we have to agree to disagree on many things, but life would be extremely boring if everyone had the same opinion about everything. Therefore I sincerely thank you for the discussion, and for showing me other perspectives than my own. Even if I still don't agree wholeheartedly, I at least can respect your opinion.
Nov 28, 2021 11:30 PM
Mar 2012
RobertBobert said:
So, the whole show should be taken as a metaphor for the dangers of psychological immaturity and lack of support from friends if you yourself do not make an effort or what?

I have no idea what show you're watching.
Nov 29, 2021 3:29 AM

Apr 2012
Badalight said:
RobertBobert said:
So, the whole show should be taken as a metaphor for the dangers of psychological immaturity and lack of support from friends if you yourself do not make an effort or what?

I have no idea what show you're watching.

You see the different from me idea in the show, which means you are watching a different show!
Nov 30, 2021 8:01 AM

Mar 2009
Gosh darn it, I'm such a pussy. I had to shed a tear during the last scene.
Dec 2, 2021 12:53 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
I think that was a good opportunity for Kukuru to pause her (shitty) work and see how it is in these different eras with the help of that other co-worker's wife, the turtle egg hatching at the end was beautiful
Dec 3, 2021 3:03 AM

Feb 2019
Aversa said:
Well Kukuru needed to clear her mind tho she should have told the others beforehand especially her boss.
Anyway her time on that island was nice tho the truck they where traveling in was pretty badly affected by the sea climate.
Hopefully the punishment for Kukuru won't be to bad when she gets back, she will have some explaining to do tho.

What do you mean about the truck? I guess I missed something.

Anyways, great episode as always. I feel Kukuru so much. How empty and pointless it can all feel. But I think she should've informed the others still.
Dec 3, 2021 10:10 AM

Apr 2010
Shikkakku said:
Aversa said:
Well Kukuru needed to clear her mind tho she should have told the others beforehand especially her boss.
Anyway her time on that island was nice tho the truck they where traveling in was pretty badly affected by the sea climate.
Hopefully the punishment for Kukuru won't be to bad when she gets back, she will have some explaining to do tho.

Anyways, great episode as always. I feel Kukuru so much. How empty and pointless it can all feel. But I think she should've informed the others still.
The small pick up truck they where traveling in, it was really rusted which is pretty common in a sea climate.
Cars don't handle the salt air well which is why they start to rust
Dec 3, 2021 10:34 AM

Feb 2019
Aversa said:
Shikkakku said:

The small pick up truck they where traveling in, it was really rusted which is pretty common in a sea climate.
Cars don't handle the salt air well which is why they start to rust

Oh wow I didn't know that. That's quite the attention to detail.
Jan 5, 2022 12:45 AM
Mar 2012
Major eyeroll at Karin's tonedeaf comments these last 2 episodes.
Rusty truck thru the island scenery and Kamehausu so beautiful, tho Kukuru still should send a leave notification.
Watching this fun Pingu episode then suddenly shit got real on Popo, hope he recovers.
Fuuka punching & sea turtle hatch both amazing stuff.
Jan 10, 2022 8:27 PM

Aug 2020
suddenly i care about turtles

#SavetheTurtles
Jan 22, 2022 7:04 AM

Jun 2020
Really beautiful episode but I’m sooooo confused why people are ALWAYS saying Kukuru’s boss is toxic. JESUS he is not……… he’s even asked before if she’s ok & I don’t see how having expectations for her is toxic or slavedriving her, isn’t she there to ERRRRR I dunno, WORK perhaps??????? Newsflash…..not everyday of your job is all passionate & exciting & you don’t always get to do everything you love, things don’t always go your way? When the presentation at the wedding planner’s didn’t go very well he also dealt with it matter-of-factly? If your superior giving you instructions with a firm attitude rubs you the wrong way then well, you should probably be your own boss lol. It’s a fact that she is also really childish at times; who goes off and meddle with other department’s affairs? If anything I would say Suwa actually sees potential in Kukuru, but sadly, her heart’s just not there.

I respect that Kukuru has been trying and hadn’t gave up. But maybe if she’s so unhappy she should leave. Hoping for more growth for her character, since well everything has been revolving pretty much around her & yet I still don’t really see much growth or change.

I dunno what she expects tho. Isn’t this a great learning opportunity & experience for someone who wants to run an aquarium. I get that she just wants to work with the animals but, that doesn’t mean her work is “shitty” or “toxic”. It really isn’t. The people around her are great, she’s got a great support system, she just needs to figure things out.

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Jan 31, 2022 1:31 PM

Jul 2015
Bit too irresponsible to just up and leave without notifying anyone but at least Kukuru got the break she needed before getting too burned out

I like how even Fuuka was incredibly annoyed at the useless assistant director.

Apr 29, 2022 3:13 PM

Jun 2013
A turtle made it to the water!

This was a very enjoyable episode. I especially liked the very soothing part around 13-14 minutes. Still worried about the penguins though.

I can relate to Kukuru. I have a friend who left the industry after an engineering degree to become a DJ. Another gave up research after a postdoc to become a baker. And I often wonder if I shouldn't do the same. Sometimes, you just need to say "fuck off", ditch everything, take a step back, and then come back with fresh eyes.
Jun 17, 2022 7:17 AM

Apr 2016
Maybe she can get fired and then ask for a job in that little aquarium.

The turtle scene saved this episode from the utter boredom.
Sep 20, 2022 7:59 PM

Jul 2016
The amount of people here being ok with corporations forcing work and work onto you till you drop dead is just sad, man.

Honestly, Kukuru should quit Tingara if the situation with her incompetent boss is not gonna change. She should go to an aquarium run by people with common sense who can see that her potential is with the animals and not with computers.
Dec 8, 2023 5:35 PM

Nov 2022
This ep is a needed break from all the aquarium work for us and Kukuru. The serene scenery of the island shown while Kukuru is going to the small aquarium is perfect. The artists for the backgrounds is killing it with their art. probably the best ep of the second part.

Looking forward for Kukuru and Fuuka moments next ep
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shiroi Suna no Aquatope Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2021

138 by basskiller »»
Dec 11, 2023 5:15 PM

Poll: » Shiroi Suna no Aquatope Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 9, 2021

78 by basskiller »»
Dec 10, 2023 6:06 PM

Poll: » Shiroi Suna no Aquatope Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 2, 2021

74 by basskiller »»
Dec 10, 2023 12:00 AM

Poll: » Shiroi Suna no Aquatope Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 18, 2021

105 by basskiller »»
Dec 5, 2023 1:00 AM

Poll: » Shiroi Suna no Aquatope Episode 19 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2021

41 by basskiller »»
Dec 3, 2023 9:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.