Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Nov 4, 2021 1:01 AM

May 2020
Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya made it up to the 4th volume of the Light novels. About a year ago the 12th volume was released, meaning theres a shit ton of material they could animate. Hell, even an anime original story where Kyon and Haruhi become closer would be amazing

Why is Kyoto Animation evil and dropped it ;-(
Nov 4, 2021 1:09 AM

Dec 2007
Kyoto Animation didn't drop it, if that were the problem another animation studio would have been picked. It's just that Kadokawa Shoten wasn't interested in ordering and backing another anime adaptation.

After all, for nine years there weren't any new light novels to promote. Perhaps this has changed now that a new novel came out a year ago, but do understand that animation studios are booked years in advance. So it's not impossible that a new adaptation has been ordered by now, but for the longest time, the light novel publisher didn't have any incentive to.
Nov 4, 2021 1:11 AM

May 2020
Gurenn said:
Kyoto Animation didn't drop it, if that were the problem another animation studio would have been picked. It's just that Kadokawa Shoten wasn't interested in ordering and backing another anime adaptation.

After all, for nine years there weren't any new light novels to promote. Perhaps this has changed now that a new novel came out a year ago, but do understand that animation studios are booked years in advance. So it's not impossible that a new adaptation has been ordered by now, but for the longest time, the light novel publisher didn't have any incentive to.

This trend in anime where series are only created to promote the manga/LN is something that really should piss off one day.
Nov 4, 2021 1:15 AM
Jan 2021
Those people interested in the series already bought the LN so there is no need for another promotion. Just read the LN homie
Nov 4, 2021 1:18 AM

Jul 2020
Well, it's pretty rare to see a Light Novel getting a full adaptation so not a surprise at all actually.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Nov 4, 2021 1:26 AM
Aug 2020
Scordolo said:
Well, it's pretty rare to see a Light Novel getting a full adaptation so not a surprise at all actually.
yeah as far i know only monogatari series is getting full adaptation right?
Nov 4, 2021 1:40 AM

Dec 2007
NickCipolla said:
Gurenn said:

This trend in anime where series are only created to promote the manga/LN is something that really should piss off one day.
I don't know man, maybe more anime would be produced to make a profit on their own merits if more people paid for anime instead of using 'unofficial' means to watch them. Are you?
Nov 4, 2021 1:43 AM
Jul 2018
NickCipolla said:
Gurenn said:

Did you just call advertising a fucking TREND? LMFAOOOOOO
Nov 4, 2021 3:44 AM
Aug 2020
Beg Kadokawa XD...

The reason why they ain't giving TMoHS a Sequel is it's either...

1.The sales/profit ain't enough
2.They already abandoned it
3.They are waiting for a "Perfect Timing"
Nov 4, 2021 5:51 AM
Jul 2020
NickCipolla said:
Gurenn said:

That’s how it’s always been. Manga and light novel sales make way more money than anime. The only time an anime is made for the purpose of making money by itself is when it’s an original anime and/or a movie. TV adaptations are always made for the primary purpose of advertising the source material.
Nov 4, 2021 5:53 AM
Apr 2021
Chiribei said:
NickCipolla said:

Did you just call advertising a fucking TREND? LMFAOOOOOO

Yeah, second what this guy is implying. You need to understand that anime existing primarily for advertising isn’t a trend, it’s the norm. Anime/cartoons are almost always made to be selling something, and that’s because it’s a part of how they’re made. This applies to “western anime” (cartoons) as well, it’s a fundamental problem with all animation. The problem os animation is like, really hard. And time consuming. And resource consuming. So while a bigger budget movie is fine, doing serialized animated tv shows is a ridiculously bad economic decision for any studio. Yogi Bear was the first to solve this problem by having a few poses and backgrounds pre-drawn so they could reuse them over and over again, and only have to animate the head talking, which is also why he has a necktie: it makes it look less obvious that there’s a moving head on a non-moving body (similar to why Mario wears suspenders and has a mustache, it was about creating definition with limited pixels). Later in the 70’s and 80’s a new solution was found: animate new toy lines as an advertisement for the toys themselves, and get paid by the toy companies. This is why GI-Joe/He-man etc. exist, and why all the mecha shows existed: to sell toys above all else.

With anime over the years other subjects got advertisements (anime) made for them. Anime based off pre-existing manga, then anime based off light novels (ex. Haruhi), and lately anime based off gatcha phone games. Anime originals are rare and usually important to anime culture for that reason (ex. Evangelion) and are often plagued with money/time constraint issues that effect the work (ex. Evangelion).

So as much as I want to watch the rest of Haruhi’s story because I don’t have the time/energy to find and read the novels, I know we’ll probably never get it, because it was always just an advertisement for the hit new light novel series at the time.
Nov 4, 2021 12:16 PM

May 2020
Gurenn said:
NickCipolla said:

I don't know man, maybe more anime would be produced to make a profit on their own merits if more people paid for anime instead of using 'unofficial' means to watch them. Are you?

If an anime is good on its own merits, then it will easily make a profit. Merchandise alone has proven to prove that.
Nov 4, 2021 1:01 PM

Dec 2007
NickCipolla said:
Gurenn said:

If an anime is good on its own merits, then it will easily make a profit. Merchandise alone has proven to prove that.
No, quality doesn't equal popularity.

And I don't understand what you're saying. "Merchandise alone has proven to prove that." What does that mean?

You said there's a trend that series are only being created to promote the manga/LN. That means the anime isn't turning a profit on its own, it was made to promote the LN. And if there is no need to promote a light novel anymore and it doesn't get made, that means the anime isn't profitable.
Nov 4, 2021 3:42 PM

May 2020
Gurenn said:
NickCipolla said:

And I don't understand what you're saying. "Merchandise alone has proven to prove that." What does that mean?

You said there's a trend that series are only being created to promote the manga/LN. That means the anime isn't turning a profit on its own, it was made to promote the LN. And if there is no need to promote a light novel anymore and it doesn't get made, that means the anime isn't profitable.

Genius idea to bring up a whole different conversation, then when i reply to that conversation youre like " but wait what about the original topic " lol.

You said more anime would be produced for reasons other than "selling a LN" if it made a profit. I replied to that idea
Nov 4, 2021 3:56 PM

Dec 2007
NickCipolla said:
Gurenn said:

Genius idea to bring up a whole different conversation, then when i reply to that conversation youre like " but wait what about the original topic " lol.

You said more anime would be produced for reasons other than "selling a LN" if it made a profit. I replied to that idea
I didn't bring up a different conversation, we were still having the same one. Your reply just didn't make any sense, I still can't make anything of the sentence about merchandise. Other than that, it's just plain wrong that good anime can easily make a profit.
Nov 5, 2021 2:24 AM

May 2019
Gurenn said:

did the fire affect them or have they already found new animators?
Nov 5, 2021 3:22 AM

Dec 2007
Biribiri05 said:
Gurenn said:

did the fire affect them or have they already found new animators?
Of course it affected them, but it's not like all animators died there. They've also been training new ones and they already started releasing anime again.
Nov 5, 2021 11:55 AM
Feb 2017
I guess in 2028 they will do a full story
This is only guess so not much reliability
Just wanted to answer since i love this series too
Nov 15, 2021 5:51 AM
Feb 2013
I’m against this personally. It’s just too late. There’s a time and a place for everything. People have changed, times have changed, production methods have changed, the staff has changed. I’ve read the books in all these years, and the scenes that happened in my head during reading are better than whatever they could produce now. Every time somebody decides to capitalise on an established fanbase of a discontinued franchise, they fail to deliver even the same baseline quality that was established by the original. Kino no tabi, flcl, stains gate, the examples are everywhere.
Read the books; read the vns if you could read Japanese.

More topics from this board

» "chronological order" and my utter disgust for it

Tsuna-Ryu - Apr 15

36 by YukariKatsuragi »»
Apr 16, 11:49 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 23, 2008

87 by Unoriginality »»
Apr 11, 9:50 PM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

abhin4v - Mar 2, 2008

93 by S4dnu »»
Apr 11, 5:47 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AgathaKazar - Jul 19, 2008

99 by S4dnu »»
Apr 9, 5:39 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Scribbly - Jul 26, 2008

101 by Alkimia »»
Feb 29, 9:02 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.