Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 2, 2010 12:17 PM
Jan 2008
Despite creating four genuinely well-received (if not critically) English tracks for Ghibli's works, it wasn't until the acquisition of Spirited Away's Oscar for Best Animated Feature that Disney decided to proceed with more English adaptations of Ghibli features. Their next project was Porco Rosso, which is arguably one of the oddest entries in director Hayao Miyazaki's output. It also happens to be one of this writer's least favorite of his, but that's another topic. The dub, hailed by Ghibli insiders as their finest yet, premiered at the Austin Film Festival in 2003 before debuting on DVD on 2005. That said, reception to it, like all the other Ghibli dubs, have been divided. There were reviews that sang praises (at places like DVDTimes, UltimateDisney, and DVDTalk), but others were negative for whatever reason (The Ghibli Blog, who dubbed this as "the most frustrating" of the Ghibli-Disney dubs, decrying it as a case of "Disney treating Ghibli's movies like their syrupy cartoon features", as well as Australia's DVDNet, calling it one of the "worst" Disney dubs yet, saying that the actors show no enthusiasm for their roles). Needless to say, even with a man as respected as John Lasseter at the helm for these dubs since Spirited Away (or even a skillful ADR director like Jack Fletcher), detractors will probably decry these Disney versions as blasphemy either way, and there are some who actively dislike this dub even after its release. In spite of what the naysayers say, however, any of the Disney Ghibli dubs have done nothing but introduce newcomers to Miyazaki's works, and there are plenty who get a kick of them, including this writer.

Even so, it is important to note that, like Castle in the Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, and My Neighbor Totoro, there was an early dub prior to Disney's release briefly distributed, but not produced, by Streamline Pictures. The pre-Disney dubs of Ghibli have been a mixed bag for this viewer. Macek's own dubs for Kiki and Totoro were better than average and quite good for their day, but Castle's, produced by an unknown company and distributed by Streamline, was a complete disaster, paling miserably compared to Disney's version (controversial though it may be). Needless to say, Porco Rosso's older dub seems to have fallen into the same category as the pre-Disney Laputa dub did, as reviews of this 1992 English track which I've discovered have been quite harsh. (It should be noted, too, that this older dub of Porco, like Laputa's, was produced very quickly by an unknown company and saw a limited release, which explains why it isn't very well remembered.) Not having heard this older dub, I cannot make any comparisons. However, I will say that, as someone who wasn't all that thrilled with Porco Rosso to begin with and as a genuine fan of all the Disney-Ghibli dub tracks, this is yet another winner, with top-notch performances and writing all around. Scripted by Spirited Away's Cindy Davis Hewitt and Donald H. Hewitt, who helmed all the other dubs after Spirited, painstakingly and directed by Tony Bancroft, Disney's dub of Porco Rosso features the usual star-studded cast of actors and smooth, natural writing that one would come to expect from any of their dubs.

The cast of Porco Rosso is a considerably small one, so only the principal roles will be fully covered in my review.

PORCO ROSSO (Michael Keaton) -- Even as someone who doesn't really mind some of the more controversial casting choices of Disney's other dubs (e.g. Phil Hartman in Kiki, the leads in Castle and Totoro, and San and Jigo in Mononoke), I was a little unsure about Keaton portraying the titular character, a (literally) pig-headed pilot who makes a living as a bounty hunter while also earning himself a reputation as a rebel and a womanizer. Not that I have any sort of loyalty to the original Japanese version or even the supposedly superb French version featuring Jean Reno, but having seen the film at least one time in its native language track, I had an idea of how Porco should sound, and Keaton wasn't it. After seeing the dub for myself, however, I laid my case to rest: Keaton is an excellent Porco. He tends to be deadpan most of the time, and yet somehow this works in favor of his world-weary nature. When the moments arise for him to shout or be energetic, Keaton does that with pinanche. Some may have trouble with the occasional pig-grunts he makes, but I personally found it very fitting and added to the role.

DONALD CURTIS (Cary Elwes) -- Aside from Porco, the other major character in the film is his rival, a dashing, boastful pilot who falls for every pretty woman he comes across. Based on this description, he ought to be a villain, but Miyazaki doesn't characterize him as such. Neither does Elwes, although he does manage to put across his aggressive swagger and arrogance in a way that would make Curtis teeter toward that area. Even so, it is a very peculiar casting choice, as Elwes, like Jada Pinkett-Smith's Toki in Princess Mononoke, is clearly playing against type. Curtis is a Southerner (or at least that's what Disney's dub chracterizes him as), and it feels very strange to hear the very British Elwes trying to sound like he's from Texas! Yet he clearly is enjoying himself, whether he is making proposals to Gina or Fio or taunting Porco in mid-air fights. A note about the character's origin: in the Japanese version, Curtis is from Alabama, but due to lipflap purposes, it was decided to make him come from Texas. Whether that is a distraction or not depends on the viewer.

GINA (Susan Egan) -- Having shown her skill in as Lin in Spirited Away, it isn't totally surprising that Miss Egan (better known as Belle from Broadway's Beauty and the Beast) gets to play another role in a Ghibli dub, this time as a sultry, thrice(!)-widowed woman who spends most of her time singing at taverns (and yes, Egan does manage to flex her vocal skills with her impeccable reindition of "Les Temps des Cerises") and secretly longing for her childhood friend, Porco, to return her affections. Egan has the sort of husky, sensual quality that works brilliantly for this character, and she even adds a touch of sarcasm and humor to her performance, particularly in the scene where she fends off Curtis' advance. She also doesn't hesitate to let out her emotional edge in moments like the scene where Porco telephones the lady at the Hotel Adriano to inform her that he's making an illegal visit to Italy. Aside from at least one flat line toward the end, "Marco, get up!", Egan's Gina is a solid performance all around.

MAMMA AIUTTO BOSS (Brad Garrett) -- The Mamma Aiutto pirates could very well be seen as a distant cousin of the Dola Gang from Castle in the Sky, as they are, after all, aerial pirates who aren't as evil as they appear to be. For this film, however, the leader of these rogues is a burly, bearded man who is clearly referred to as their "boss". No stranger to playing "heavy" characters of this type, it's unsurprising that Brad manages to fit himself into the character, employing a little bit of "Bluto" into the performance. He is as gravelly as you'd expect, and he tends to spend a lot of time shouting his lines. That's not really a criticism, though; for characters of this type, giving a more flat, deadpan kind of voice would work against the character. Garrett obviously relishes his role from the start, and, even though less memorable compared to Cloris Leachman's Dola, his performance is undeniably funny and a riot.

MR. PICCOLO (David Ogden Stiers) -- Also making a return appearance in a Ghibli dub is Disney's own good luck charm, who previously spoke for Kamaji in Spirited Away. While one wouldn't recognize his voice in that role, here it's hard not to think of him as a cousin of Cogsworth from Beauty and the Beast, for the tone he uses for this cheeky engineer is somewhat similar to that role. Where he manages to make it stand out is by providing him with an appropriately Italian accent. It's an interesting choice, but it's effective nonetheless. He also gets to have several opportunities to call Porco out on his disapproving views of women by proclaiming "don't be such a pig." (This is one of the many opportunities that the English script provides for adding in pork-based humor into the dialogue.)

FIO PICCOLO (Kimberly Williams-Paisley) -- Fitting nicely into the usual formula of the show-stealer in any of the Ghibli dubs, Kimberly takes the prize for the Best Performance in the dub as the film's appealing and intriguing young female lead, a sprightly mechanic who is much tougher than she appears and is not afraid to show it in any way. From the start, Kimberly makes Fio an instantly likeable character to root for, and she especially relishes herself in scenes where she chews the Mamma Aiutto gang out for not playing fair with Porco (one of the funniest scenes in the film). What ultimately makes her performance a real delight, however, is the chemistry between her and Keaton: it is a joy to listen to, and what ultimately sells Porco Rosso's dub as a whole.

Naturally, Disney uses their usual stable of actors for the supporting characters. Goofy himself, Bill Farmer, gets to have a brief role as a photographer for the scene where Fio and the (newly cleaned up) pirates pose for a picture; the ubiquitous Tress MacNeille gets to be a newscaster on a boat as well as several of Piccolo's elderly relatives; and others such as Jeff Bennett, Michael Bell, Debi Deriberry, Corey Burton, Sherry Lynn, Rob Paulsen, and Frank Welker are among the incidental voices.

The script adaptation by the Hewitts is pretty much on the same level as their work on Spirited Away and any of the other dubs they've done: their ADR script is not word for word with the literal translation (as well as it shouldn't be, as such an approach would only result in stale and awkward-sounding dialogue), but is instead constructed to sound both natural and convey the essence of Miyazaki's unusual tale. While some purists may make noise about the decision to replace lines like "otherwise I'll kill you" with "I'd hate to put you jerks out of business", personally I applaud the decision, as the latter line sounds more fluent and provides more character as a result. There are also places where the Hewitts get to work in some extra humor ala Kiki's Delivery Service and Castle in the Sky, only not to the sometimes extraneous level as those two dubs, while still enjoyable, occasionally stumbled into.

All in all, while Porco Rosso may not be my favorite Disney-Ghibli dub, it still surprises me to see that it has its share of detractors. On its own, it is a well-produced, carefully written, entertaining dub that deserves to stand alongside the other English tracks Disney has done. Considering the reportedly dubious quality of the previous dub that Streamline distributed, it really is hard to get any better treatment than what the Mouse House provides. Not only did it help me to appreciate Porco Rosso as a movie, it entertained me, just as well as a good dub should. If that doesn't make it a worthwhile dub, I don't know what does.
Oct 16, 2010 9:04 AM

Sep 2008
I dont see why people complain. I liked the dub more than howls moving castle and found it highly enjoyable. Its one of the better Ghibli dubs I've come across, hands down.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Oct 16, 2010 11:06 AM
Jan 2008
eyerok said:
I dont see why people complain. I liked the dub more than howls moving castle and found it highly enjoyable. Its one of the better Ghibli dubs I've come across, hands down.

I don't know if I'd go that far, but it is indeed a good dub. Actually, I can extend that to all the other Ghibli dubs I've seen. I have yet to dislike any of them.
Oct 17, 2010 3:19 AM

Sep 2008
JTurner said:
eyerok said:

I don't know if I'd go that far, but it is indeed a good dub. Actually, I can extend that to all the other Ghibli dubs I've seen. I have yet to dislike any of them.

I found castle in the sky's dub a bit err annoying. But only slightly. I think it was the main lead (the guy).
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Dec 30, 2010 2:50 PM
Jan 2008
koreye said:
JTurner said:
eyerok said:

I found castle in the sky's dub a bit err annoying. But only slightly. I think it was the main lead (the guy).

The lead characters are probably the weak links of the Disney dub, but even though I do agree that James probably DID sound a little too much like a teenager, I still thought he did a pretty good job overall. I also liked Paquin's Sheeta, especially her accent--there were a couple of missed lines I detected, but not dramatically enough to ruin the show.
Mar 6, 2012 6:50 PM
Mar 2009
overall it is pretty good, but found Curtis (Cary Elwes) to be really cheap and phony with some really terribly delivered lines with no emotion, while the line should be a high point of excitement. To be honest, usually Disney I credit with decent dubs of Japanese anime, averaging better than most. But the role of Curtis is only outdone in terribleness by the Disney English dub role of Jiji in Kiki's Delivery Service. I find that to be one of the most annoying performances ever, worse even than flat readings and monotone deliveries and other common dub debacles.
That said, whereas Kiki I avoid showing to my kids solely because I so hate the Jiji done by Phil Hartman (th rest of the dub is quite good) in the Disney dub, and prefer to watch Kiki in Japanese (which I can't do easily with the kids since they know a dub is on the DVD); this bad actor is not the reason I don't show my kids Porco Rosso much, the reason Porco Rosso doesn't show much has more to do with the endless macho fisticuffs scene that I just hate and certainly hate influencing my boys with.
djmasturbeatMar 6, 2012 6:55 PM
Mar 6, 2012 7:39 PM
Jan 2008
I dunno, I quite liked Cary Elwes as Curtis. I thought he did a great job, although he was a strange casting choice.

And sorry to disagree but I love Phil Hartman's Jiji. He MADE KIKI'S DELIVERY SERVICE for me.
Apr 19, 2012 1:34 PM

Sep 2008
JTurner said:
I dunno, I quite liked Cary Elwes as Curtis. I thought he did a great job, although he was a strange casting choice.

same here, I agree with what you said. Weird voice, but strangely fitting for the role.
Apr 19, 2012 1:37 PM
Jul 2018
Jean Reno was the voice of Porco Rosso in the French version. Hrmm... Just for that, I prefer to watch the French dub rather than the Japanese one, as it fits him so well and it's so orgasmic. :)
Apr 19, 2012 1:43 PM

Feb 2012
Liloute said:
Jean Reno was the voice of Porco Rosso in the French version. Hrmm... Just for that, I prefer to watch the French dub rather than the Japanese one, as it fits him so well and it's so orgasmic. :)

So much so. He owns that role, and Miyazaki himself said that he prefers the French dub to the Japanese dub.
Feb 12, 2014 12:54 PM

Apr 2012
I have yet to see a dissapointing dub for Ghibli movies and every one of his I have seen in english so far. It makes me want to never go back to japanese dubbed anime any more its just such a better experience when you have a really good dub in a language you understand without having to constantly read a text at the bottom of the screen.
Feb 12, 2014 2:51 PM
Jan 2008
baki502 said:
I have yet to see a dissapointing dub for Ghibli movies and every one of his I have seen in english so far. It makes me want to never go back to japanese dubbed anime any more its just such a better experience when you have a really good dub in a language you understand without having to constantly read a text at the bottom of the screen.

How many have you seen?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kurenai no Buta Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Beatnik - Jul 11, 2008

113 by DebiPS »»
6 hours ago

» Dub Discussion -- THE OTHER ENGLISH DUB (Non-Disney, JAL 1992)

JTurner - Nov 13, 2015

0 by JTurner »»
Nov 13, 2015 10:15 PM

» About Gina

jose21 - Mar 4, 2014

1 by Rachmaninow »»
Apr 10, 2014 4:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.