Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 23, 2021 6:09 AM

Apr 2019
So, there's a lot of discussions on whether Sonny Boy is actually an artistic and thought-provoking masterpiece or a pretentious piece-of-work. I'm not really here to say whether it is or not because it seems like people's opinions on the show are getting more divided and biased because of it, and right now it's almost like every opinion and review is written in response to the opposite side. I can only speak for myself, and I want to know what others think

My thoughts:
- I like the themes, and the messages in each episode, especially in episode 4. A lot of people found episode 4 boring, which I understand since there's A LOT of talking, but its message was unique and personally connected with me the most.

- After episode 4, the show started going too fast for my liking, with the characters jumping to different worlds and all that. I didn't know how close the characters were to getting home, unlike the first 4 episodes which were slow and steady and defined what the characters knew about the world's rules.

- I like the characters for the most part, Nagara and Mizuho both have satisfying character arcs and I appreciate Nagara not being as basic as other main characters.
But then they introduced this teacher-character at the end of episode 4? Her introduction made me shake my head cause I went into this thinking this show would all be about the students and their individual arcs, but instead she splits the entire class and becomes sort of a villain. I'm sure there's a metaphor here which is going over my head but it's still very annoying, she could've been taken out of the entire show and no one would care.
Also, what the heck happened to Hoshi? They set his character up a lot in the first couple of episodes but then he sorta just fades away and brought up outta nowhere at the end.

- The last episode was amazing--amazing yet depressing. What I appreciate is how unique this show is and how easy it was to make the ending very cliche but they chose to go a different route.
Oct 23, 2021 6:18 AM
Mar 2021
It’s pretty good. I agree with most of what you said. Hoshi was the guy who invented death though.
It wasn’t some masterpiece but it was entertaining and good.
It also had one of the best soundtracks ever
Nitroade24hOct 23, 2021 8:04 AM
Oct 23, 2021 7:01 AM
Aug 2019
I really enjoyed it, loved the music and art style. I would like to rewatch it so that I can understand everything better
Oct 23, 2021 7:13 AM
Jan 2021
I loved how unique it was.
Oct 23, 2021 7:34 AM
Sep 2020
Easily one of the best anime in recent years
Oct 23, 2021 7:34 AM

Mar 2021
I just love the mystery in these types of animes that doesn't spoon-feed everything on you and really challenges your brain and how you see and interpret things. I personally think it is a great show that maximizes the use of anime as a medium to convey certain messages in which in this show, is told through various metaphors. However, this show ain't for everyone and it's hard to recommend it especially if they have little patience or just want to be entertained and have a good time. We all like different stuff and I understand if people think that this show is pretentious or has no substance. In the end, just let people enjoy things as well as letting them hate things.
Oct 23, 2021 7:47 AM
Sep 2020
This sums up my opinion pretty well also

https://youtu.be/YyJKWIyH3-U
Oct 23, 2021 9:27 PM
Jan 2021
9/10 that ending was one of this best ive seen and the soundtrack blew me away also the dog telling his story was one of my favorite anime episodes ever tbh
Oct 23, 2021 9:30 PM

Jan 2020
I liked it. I don't think it'll be easy for me to find another series like it

Oct 23, 2021 9:44 PM

Jun 2019
ManWild said:
I liked it. I don't think it'll be easy for me to find another series like it

Have you just not seen (or heard of) Toriko?
Oct 24, 2021 7:39 AM
Jun 2020
Anime of the century for me
Oct 24, 2021 8:59 AM
Mar 2019
It was an absurd and wild ride that I was completely on board with after two episodes.

While I agree that the show is very quickly paced, I don't know if I would change that or anything else about it really. This show stuck in my head to the point where I couldn't sleep after I finished it and few shows really do that for me.

It was an emotional journey that made me understand and appreciate what I have and look forward to what I can do in the future. I was in this mental state where it hit me to my core.

I may look back on it in a few years and thing current me is stupid as hell, but right now it's a masterpiece in my eyes.
Oct 24, 2021 8:43 PM

Jun 2015
Interesting theme with high moments at the beginning and end, but that loses meaning as an integrated whole and manages to be extremely boring almost the entire show.
Although it has a pretty composition, its animation is sometimes so poor that the sequences are not understandable.
This is the type of anime that usually I adore the most, but most of the time I hated it.

5/10 'cause is not bad or terrible, but yes very disappointing
ALOCOct 24, 2021 8:48 PM
Oct 26, 2021 3:56 AM

Feb 2019
This is a hidden gem anime of expressionism

I loved it so much

Oct 26, 2021 6:15 AM
May 2014
Makes me sad he didn't keep his promise to Nozomi.
Oct 26, 2021 9:33 AM
Jul 2019
i think that this show is really good and kinda special
Oct 26, 2021 11:19 AM
Dec 2018
Bro I truly had no idea what the hell was going on. Last ep, they end up in their own world, at first Mizuho doesn't recognise nagara, but later she remembers? And yea, nozomi not being with nagara kinda stung
Oct 26, 2021 5:03 PM
May 2014
Yeah the nozomi ending left a bad taste, but I suppose you can write it off as "life is like that sometimes". Also I just realized that if nozomi did survive and that was the reality they returned to, she would've been in quite an awkward situation given her relationship with asakaze.
IceCoffeeOct 26, 2021 5:14 PM
Oct 31, 2021 11:18 PM
Jun 2020
It's alright but I can't seem to bring myself to finish it. There's nothing I dislike, it's just okay for me.
Nov 3, 2021 5:57 PM
Jul 2017
I honestly don’t know with this one. The show turned out to be completely different from what I thought it was going to be when I saw the early broadcast of episode 1. It didn’t go on in any direction I wanted it to go in and got really weird and confusing after episode 3. The first 3 episodes made enough sense to me. A tad confusing but enough information was being given to where I could understand it somewhat. Like the whole “things burst into blue flames if nothing is traded as a transaction.” But then the show started talking about invisible monkeys that play baseball? Then a teacher that’s not really a teacher appears out of no where and splits the class up over conflicting opinions? Then half the cast just fucks off like the baseball cap guy and Hoshi. Like they just go into some cube and leave and we don’t see them anymore. And then everyone just splits up and goes their separate ways into different worlds. New characters are introduced and gone the next episode. I really thought Hoshi was gonna have this big reveal that he was a younger version of the principle or something but his character didn’t really go anywhere. The show was hyping him up to be something sinister only for him to leave half way through. I feel you have to pay super close attention to every single detail or you miss something. I don’t know man. This show had some very cool and creative imagery and some banger insert songs but I wouldn’t watch it again, nor would I recommend it to people. I wanted to love it so bad, but I only like it. It’s just a good show but I wanted it to be great ya know? I wish I felt the same way as the people that call this a classic or a masterpiece because they saw something within this show that I clearly couldn’t.
PhlaryxNov 3, 2021 6:03 PM
Nov 12, 2021 8:49 AM
Oct 2010
There are some great ideas being parsed, but it's not packaged well for me to say this something great. I like Kon (Parprika, PB,etc) and Morimori's (Tatami Galaxy) work cause they weren't in their own bootyhole, and at tried to take necessary to engage the audience. They know balance.
Nov 13, 2021 5:03 PM
Jul 2021
Laz45 said:
There are some great ideas being parsed, but it's not packaged well for me to say this something great. I like Kon (Parprika, PB,etc) and Morimori's (Tatami Galaxy) work cause they weren't in their own bootyhole, and at tried to take necessary to engage the audience. They know balance.

If this anime had come out a decade ago, you'd be treating it the same as those sacred cows.
Nov 13, 2021 9:12 PM
May 2011
I loved it. I think people get hung up on not fully understanding the specifics of the plot. The emotions and the characters were the focus and the show excelled in those areas. The plot is largely allegorical and what's important are the themes related to the characters coming of age, the details of the worlds and their rules are purposefully obtuse.
Nov 13, 2021 9:15 PM

Jan 2021
This was one of the most boring anime to exist. Like this was the first time I watched something in 2x speed since it was boring and confusing

I hope no one I know irl sees my secret account~

Anyways, do I look cute in this outfit?~

Nov 16, 2021 9:52 AM
Nov 2018
it's good and all that but does this have a manga or novel cause it feels it needs more than what it got
Nov 16, 2021 7:44 PM

Dec 2016
Reelens said:
Laz45 said:

If this anime had come out a decade ago, you'd be treating it the same as those sacred cows.

If Sonny Boy had came out a decade ago, it would also had been completely a nobody that just a few peeps saw it and it would had been a forgotten show by now. Sacred cows as you call them brought something fresh to the table in terms of writing or visuals and even both, Paprika had amazing visuals along with trippy script that even Hollywood borrowed ideas from, Perfect Blue put on perspective the ugly side of all showbiz, Tatami Galaxy brought a way to express a dozens of ideas with blazing dialogues.

Sonny Boy did nothing original with barebone animation from 10 years ago, nor well crafted script in terms of direction, just a bunch of weird ideas glued up together and left for the pretentious posers to claim everyone else that didn't liked it some sort of heretics that can't understand art, despite the posers not having a clear idea of it's message because there wasn't one to begin with.

Shinbo Natsume will be remembered for stuff like One Punch Man and his amazing cast of animators, but original works like this that are meant to be fillers for seasonals that will only be remembered by a handful of people.
Nov 18, 2021 12:40 PM
Oct 2010
Reelens said:
Laz45 said:

If the anime came out a decade, and I watched it now. I'd say the same thing about it. If you enjoy this, I'm not taking anything away from you. I'm saying, there is a specific way to execute these types of stories, and a bunch of examples that are done properly and in fact better.
Laz45Nov 18, 2021 9:49 PM
Nov 19, 2021 6:26 AM
Nov 2018
Sonny boy
A perplexing story of youth based on metaphorical ideologies surrounding their idea of self.
i think nagara and mizuho have grown so much they had decided to forego the same world they nonchalantly wanted , it's strange they are returning to the world they abandon as if they had enough of their own fantasies, the scene where they run toward reality is animations at it's best depicting growth.

To have something genuine as that of a relationship in real world between them or maybe realization of loss and moving on.

this is also another theory maybe they nagara and mizuho wanted to go back but not to the real world so nagara created identical worlds while mizuho (IK they are cats powers but just for imagination) created copies of people and things of original world and are living as to have some closure in eachother or the copies there are. and it's back to square one lol.
misthistoricNov 19, 2021 6:31 AM
Nov 20, 2021 1:30 AM
Feb 2020
I don't feel satisfied with the ending
Dec 22, 2021 1:38 AM

May 2015
Just ok like Lain.
Complex is not equal to Good.
The first half was poor, the story was already intricate but adding so many characters and each having a superpower wasn't really gonna end well in terms of writing.
The second half compensated by focusing on certain characters and detailing their persona.
The finale was good. Depressing but good.
It left me the same aftertaste as when I watched Serial Experiments Lain.
I was expecting something like The Tatami Galaxy or From the New World. Those are good examples of well done complex anime.
Dec 22, 2021 1:56 AM
Jul 2018
It is the only masterpiece anime from this year. A very thought provoking series. Sad that we don't get series like this anymore. The fact that it has a very low score here shows how casual and immature the anime community has become
removed-userDec 22, 2021 2:06 AM
Dec 23, 2021 6:33 AM
Nov 2020
anikevin said:
Just ok like Lain.
The first half was poor, the story was already intricate but adding so many characters and each having a superpower wasn't really gonna end well in terms of writing.
The second half compensated by focusing on certain characters and detailing their persona.
I was expecting something like The Tatami Galaxy or From the New World. Those are good examples of well done complex anime.
i would argue that sonny boy is not even close to being complex nor it tries to, since everything you need to know is in the anime itself. For sure it is instrospective and treats teen struggles like being left out, depression and maturing and may be even thought provoking, but comparing it to SEL is just nonsense. The rest can be debatable
Dec 23, 2021 11:02 AM

Mar 2013
Spoilers

Just realized that God prevented Nozomi's suicide by having the rooftop door locked in episode 1. In episode 6 we see how in the alternative world Nagara is able to open the door.
It's funny how Nagara actually saved Nozomi that day on the rooftop, preventing the suicide with his presence.
I still don't get why people "die" in the fake worlds.

Dude in episode 7 got eaten alive by sticky worms, but the day after he's still alive.
In episode 8 it seems like Yamabiko was looking for a perfect world, and he ended up finding a fake one, with false people. War "saves" him from that world, but he's already a dog... does it count as an object? But in the end we still see him with Kodama.

Episode 9 was kinda weird, since death wasn't invented already... but according to some review Hoshi was the true creator of death. How? By completely detaching himself from reality and emotions. Maybe that's the reason why people turn into objects.

But I still don't understand Nozomi's death in episode 10. It's so sudden. Asakase tries to rely on his powers, but he fails. Maybe this time God has chosen she had to die?
Ms. Aki is by far the worst charcter, and we for sure know she is a student (when Yamabiko says only students can go adrift in episode 6, we see a shot of her student skirt under her fake dress). She was probably a (male) student with same power as Hoshi. Same for the cats, at this point.

Well, the best anime of this years for sure. Maybe already an AOTD contender.
Dec 23, 2021 1:21 PM
作画

Nov 2019
peak. something I'd rewatch and the best one I watched this year.
Dec 24, 2021 6:13 PM
Jul 2021
One of the best anime in recent years
Really great
Dec 24, 2021 10:05 PM
Oct 2010
Vexem said:
It is the only masterpiece anime from this year. A very thought provoking series. Sad that we don't get series like this anymore. The fact that it has a very low score here shows how casual and immature the anime community has become

LOL PLZ, 7.68 is pretty good. Stop being an elitist, only smelly people do this.

anikevin said:
Just ok like Lain.

I don't think this anime is complex, but I don't think it was presented as well as the other 2 anime you talked about. But I can agree with what you saying.
Laz45Dec 24, 2021 10:12 PM
Dec 26, 2021 9:45 PM
Jul 2021
Laz45 said:
Vexem said:

LOL PLZ, 7.68 is pretty good. Stop being an elitist, only smelly people do this.

anikevin said:
Just ok like Lain.

I don't think this anime is complex, but I don't think it was presented as well as the other 2 anime you talked about. But I can agree with what you saying.
rather than complex it's more metamorphical
Like, we can say more philosophical
Dec 26, 2021 11:47 PM

May 2015
Ginpachi_1234 said:

Yeah, I meant complex like in philosophical. The show was like an abstract painting. Some people spend millions on those. But the average person don't see their beauty. I didn't really saw the beauty in Sonny Boy.
I'm ok with the people that think this show is AOTY or even more than that. A ~7.5 score is what most people think it deserves and I agree too. I gave it an 8.
Dec 26, 2021 11:55 PM
Jul 2021
anikevin said:
Ginpachi_1234 said:

Yeah, I meant complex like in philosophical. The show was like an abstract painting. Some people spend millions on those. But the average person don't see their beauty. I didn't really saw the beauty in Sonny Boy.
I'm ok with the people that think this show is AOTY or even more than that. A ~7.5 score is what most people think it deserves and I agree too. I gave it an 8.
a show like Sonny boy
Yeah 7.67 is quite impressive because I have seen shows with same amount of complexity and greatness but all got rating less than 7.5
This is what pshycological genre is , despite being great it's not for everyone,but this doesn't decrease it's greatness a bit.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 5, 2021

161 by Zorpanur »»
May 27, 2:44 AM

» S2.

aurora_yuuki - Apr 4

19 by Reelens »»
May 26, 7:09 PM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2021

143 by Zorpanur »»
May 26, 12:39 PM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 22, 2021

157 by Zorpanur »»
May 26, 11:19 AM

Poll: » Sonny Boy Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Jamk_ - Jun 18, 2021

270 by Zorpanur »»
May 26, 10:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.