Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 13, 2021 6:58 AM

Jul 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The "Newcomer Team" of the Nikko Dream Monkeys are doing what they know best: CGDCT, and more ice hockey beginner training under Coach Yoko. Calm down, woman, you're being so scary.

Riko is pushing Naomi hard back into ice hockey for her enthusiasm because they were very apt at their skillsets (the former obviously ice hockey and the latter in figure skating), and Manaka is also treading along the others (Kaoruko, Mami, younger sister Ayaka) with the trial class from the previous episode.

With the TV "exclusive" coverage, Yoko sure wants that screentime at her very best, it almost sounds condescending. The warm-ups are DEFINITELY dance forms though, and at least the other coach Matsunaga does the regular proper supervision. Things are just getting started, and this 6-girl "Next-Gen Team" looks shape to rouse the scene, starting with Naomi's school transfer that affects the team's formation.

For now, think of this as a CGDCT show more than anything. Heck, this is bringing me back to Cinderella Nine levels of decency.
KANLen09Oct 13, 2021 9:30 AM
Oct 13, 2021 7:31 AM

Feb 2020
I think this works better as a CGDCT. I didn't even expect this to be a serious ice hockey anime in the first place.

Let's not wait for another Miracle on Ice. :)
Oct 13, 2021 8:29 AM

Apr 2014
School transferred this early? Was it gonna happen real? or it was an excuse from Mami because she did not want to join the ice hockey team for some reason. Let's see what will happen next.

Serafos said:
I think this works better as a CGDCT. I didn't even expect this to be a serious ice hockey anime in the first place.

Could not agree more. In my opinion, this anime is a CGDCT from the beginning.
何それ?意味分かんない
Oct 13, 2021 8:51 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Hmm training with that coach girl but I don't really like her behavior... sudden drama with random girl n°465 who changes school and will have to stop hokey, nothing truly interesting xD
Oct 13, 2021 8:52 AM

Jul 2011
Was a great episode, saying what the anime is about with the coach explanation, and the characters having a life other than just playing hockey.

If Mami really transfer, the production already have the substitute to make 6 players.
Oct 13, 2021 10:00 AM
Mar 2020
Mami wasn't even on the ED sequence (And she's missing from some part of the OP) I'm afraid that she's indeed wouldn't be on the main team but I'm interested to see what would happen next.

It would be a waste if Mami has less screentime though because she has nice hair.
Oct 13, 2021 10:05 AM

Apr 2010
Watching 2 episodes of this was pretty fun to i have to say that they probably managed to piss of the Canadians with that starter episode.
This episode was nice as well we got some more info on the girls and the look like a nice group so for tho i wonder if they also realise that ice hockey can also be a pretty harsh sport, tho that's what fun about it.
Used to play it as well when i was still a child and always enjoyed it a lot.

I wonder what Mami will do and i also wonder about the influence of the other girl will be.
Oct 13, 2021 10:21 AM

Nov 2016
Serafos said:

AkeZZZ said:
School transferred this early? Was it gonna happen real? or it was an excuse from Mami because she did not want to join the ice hockey team for some reason. Let's see what will happen next.

Serafos said:

Same, I mean this is as much sports as Anima Yell, Rifle is Beautiful or Houkago Teibou Nisshi. Featuring cute girls with an activity as backdrop to give the characters something to do. And I wouldn't want it any other way xD

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 13, 2021 10:26 AM
May 2018
Everyone already said it, but honestly I totally agree I’m enjoy it more because it’s a CGDCT anime. I feel like this kind of “slice of life” anime do a great job at portraying the subtle beauty of stuff, hopefully this show keeps doing that for ice hockey.
Oct 13, 2021 11:02 AM

May 2021
I also agree this works well as a CGDCT. I liked this episode quite a bit also. Looking forward to the next one!
AISHITERU...REM!
Oct 13, 2021 2:00 PM
Apr 2021
Judging by the fact Manaka compared the dance thing to something from hockey I am guessing she was referring to either crossovers or side steps, but a 6 player hockey team? Have fun dying.
Oct 13, 2021 3:33 PM
May 2021
I know nothing about Ice hokey so this anime is fun for me.
About mami I think it is probably going to be the the external point of view a fan from far.

This episode was ok. We start to know each player. The coach is so funny, I liked her.

Let see where this anime is going to. I think it is too soon to make a judgment.
Oct 13, 2021 7:07 PM

Jun 2021
This is the first ""CGDCT"" anime I've checked out and it's a really big change of pace for me. Regardless, I love hockey and I'm hoping they put some more love and attention into the sport.
emprizzkoOct 15, 2021 1:44 AM
Oct 13, 2021 8:07 PM
Aug 2021
This show is pretty good so far. I felt bad for the girl who would transfer to the other school. I'm curious to the other girl (who has a long dark hair) who acted as a wild card in the show. I am expecting more of this anime. :)

My main candies:

Bonus Candies:
Oct 13, 2021 9:02 PM

Oct 2016
Pretty good episode and pretty chill and relaxing. Except at the end there, I don't want Mami to transfer.

The Ryokan filming was nice, I like how Kaoruko and Mami just casually inserted themselves lmao. Yoko is definitely my favorite character here, I really like her energy, it's contagious. I wonder how the last girl will join though, I hope she won't be a Mami replacement.
Oct 13, 2021 10:22 PM

Jun 2019
I hope this isn't another series like Re-Main of the summer season, where depiction and involvement of the actual sport doesn't feature much in the show...

And though people complained about that and logically so, it still had the hook of a darker dramatic undercurrent running through it giving it more of a story. If this is too light on hockey it will just be more fluff, basically.
Oct 14, 2021 1:08 AM
May 2017
One of the blandest slice-of-life shows I've seen in a while. You could probably get just as much enjoyment by staring at the poster for 22 minutes. Going to keep watching since I need to see my country be the overpowered antagonist for once, but the whole time I'll be wishing I was watching Sora Yori or Yuru Camp instead.
Oct 14, 2021 5:32 AM

Jul 2019
It's going not as one dimensional as it could've been. Coach Yōko is a pearl of the series. I feel cozy while watching it and it's more than enough.
Oct 14, 2021 8:42 AM

May 2009
Welp, I just relized that Mami is not in the shot where they showcase their moves in the OP and I'm fucking sad, I was really liking her, I hope she manages to stay in the team.
Oct 14, 2021 9:07 AM

Apr 2012
FMmatron said:
Serafos said:

AkeZZZ said:

Same, I mean this is as much sports as Anima Yell, Rifle is Beautiful or Houkago Teibou Nisshi. Featuring cute girls with an activity as backdrop to give the characters something to do. And I wouldn't want it any other way xD

You are confusing hobby anime and sports anime.
Oct 14, 2021 9:09 AM

Apr 2012
Serafos said:

Someone was seriously expecting this? This is an adaptation of the upcoming waifu game, lol. With the same logic, you would expect Bandori to be next BECK.
Oct 14, 2021 9:09 AM

Nov 2016
RobertBobert said:
FMmatron said:

The hobby is a sport in these cases.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 14, 2021 9:13 AM

Apr 2012
FMmatron said:
RobertBobert said:

Not really. Hobbies in anime are mainly intended to tell about an interesting hobby, while sports anime focuses more on the career and personal development of the characters. For example, Houkago Teibou Nisshi is a show about girls who make friends through fishing, not a show about MC becoming Schumacher in the world of sport fishing.
Oct 14, 2021 9:37 AM

Nov 2016
RobertBobert said:
FMmatron said:

Not really. Hobbies in anime are mainly intended to tell about an interesting hobby, while sports anime focuses more on the career and personal development of the characters. For example, Houkago Teibou Nisshi is a show about girls who make friends through fishing, not a show about MC becoming Schumacher in the world of sport fishing.

I think you misinterpreted my reply to the other two poster. They said it's primarily CGDCT show, which I reaffirmed by bringing up similar CGDCT shows featuring an activities that are also considered sports. Cheerleading, rifle-shooting and fishing. It's very simple. I dunno what you’re interpreting in it again xD

Oct 14, 2021 9:50 AM

Apr 2012
FMmatron said:
RobertBobert said:

I think you misinterpreted my reply to the other two poster. They said it's primarily CGDCT show, which I reaffirmed by bringing up similar CGDCT shows featuring an activities that are also considered sports. Cheerleading, rifle-shooting and fishing. It's very simple. I dunno what you’re interpreting in it again xD

I want to say that of the shows you mentioned, only one can be considered sports. The rest is just themed CGDCT.
Oct 14, 2021 9:59 AM

Nov 2016
RobertBobert said:
FMmatron said:

I want to say that of the shows you mentioned, only one can be considered sports. The rest is just themed CGDCT.

There are different kind of ways to feature sports in anime. One where the sport is driving the narrative (Kuroko no Basket, Haikyuu) and others (like here) where it's just backdrop. I also consider these more as cute girls shows, but the sports element is still there. MAL tagged Anima Yell! and Houkago Teibou Nisshi as sports and Rifle is beautiful's synopsis got sports as second word. Aside from that, all these activities I mentiond are considered sports.

Oct 14, 2021 10:02 AM

Apr 2012
FMmatron said:
RobertBobert said:

There are different kind of ways to feature sports in anime. One where the sport is driving the narrative (Kuroko no Basket, Haikyuu) and others (like here) where it's just backdrop. I also consider these more as cute girls shows, but the sports element is still there. MAL tagged Anima Yell! and Houkago Teibou Nisshi as sports and Rifle is beautiful's synopsis got sports as second word. Aside from that, all these activities I mentiond are considered sports.

Are the characters on these shows competing with someone? Growing as individuals?
Oct 14, 2021 10:04 AM

Nov 2016
RobertBobert said:
FMmatron said:

Are the characters on these shows competing with someone? Growing as individuals?

There doesn't need to be competition to feature a sport in an anime. And growing as character isn't exclusive to sports anime.

Oct 14, 2021 10:08 AM

Apr 2012
FMmatron said:
RobertBobert said:

There doesn't need to be competition to feature a sport in an anime. And growing as character isn't exclusive to sports anime.

With this logic, Super Cub is a sports show because people are racing motorcycles.
Oct 14, 2021 10:16 AM

Nov 2016
RobertBobert said:
FMmatron said:

With this logic, Super Cub is a sports show because people are racing motorcycles.

You picked a bad example. Owning a Super Cub and riding on it can hardly be considered a sport, especially not how it was portrayed in the series( one of the episodes admittedly felt like the parody of a sports anime xD) Wheras all other activities I mentioned are recognized as sport. Just stop it man, it's getting frustrating 💀

Oct 14, 2021 10:22 AM

Apr 2012
FMmatron said:
RobertBobert said:

You picked a bad example. Owning a Super Cub and riding on it can hardly be considered a sport, especially not how it was portrayed in the series( one of the episodes admittedly felt like the parody of a sports anime xD) Wheras all other activities I mentioned are recognized as sport. Just stop it man, it's getting frustrating 💀

But at the same time, a show about how girls learn to fish for their pleasure should be considered a sport, because somewhere in the world there are fishing competitions? What's the difference between using a Honda as a vehicle and fishing to catch fish?
Oct 14, 2021 10:26 AM

Nov 2016
RobertBobert said:
FMmatron said:

But at the same time, a show about how girls learn to fish for their pleasure should be considered a sport, because somewhere in the world there are fishing competitions? What's the difference between using a Honda as a vehicle and fishing to catch fish?

The Honda is a vehicle used to get from A to B or to drive around for fun. Fishing is a sporting activity that requires far more equipment, specific sportswear, skill, strenght etc.

Putting them in the same tier in this context is a huge stretch.

Oct 14, 2021 10:40 AM

Apr 2012
FMmatron said:
RobertBobert said:

The Honda is a vehicle used to get from A to B or to drive around for fun. Fishing is a sporting activity that requires far more equipment, specific sportswear, skill, strenght etc.

So, according to your logic, "Perfect Storm" is a sports movie, because fishing is a sport and the heroes were fishing?
Oct 14, 2021 10:43 AM

Nov 2016
RobertBobert said:
FMmatron said:

So, according to your logic, "Perfect Storm" is a sports movie, because fishing is a sport and the heroes were fishing?

Dude seriously, wtf? I already said twice I consider all of these cute girls shows with sports element, not sports anime.

Stop changing goalposts and work on your reading comprehension ffs.

Oct 14, 2021 10:48 AM

Apr 2012
FMmatron said:
RobertBobert said:

Dude seriously, wtf? I already said twice I consider all of these cute girls shows with sports element, not sports anime.

At the very beginning I told you literally the same, but for some reason you began to prove to me that if there is sport fishing, then any show about fishing = sport.
Oct 14, 2021 10:58 AM

Nov 2016
RobertBobert said:
FMmatron said:

At the very beginning I told you literally the same, but for some reason you began to prove to me that if there is sport fishing, then any show about fishing = sport.

"For some reason..."

I clarified myself because you said I'm confusing hobby anime and sports anime.

I said fishing is also recognized as sports and therefore Houkago Teibou Nisshi fits in the same category as these cute girls anime that feature sports.

Yet you successfully managed to misinterpret everything. Pretty retarded ngl.

Oct 14, 2021 11:01 AM

Apr 2012
FMmatron said:
RobertBobert said:

"For some reason..."

I said fishing is also recognized as sports and therefore Houkago Teibou Nisshi fits in the same category as these cute girls anime that feature sports.

The existence of sport fishing is a rather controversial rationale for placing a show about general fishing in the sport category. Because this is literally a universal argument that justifies that any content with fishermen is a sport. But okay, stop here before it gets too personal.
Oct 14, 2021 11:05 AM

Nov 2016
RobertBobert said:
FMmatron said:

"For some reason..."

The existence of sport fishing is a rather controversial rationale for placing a show about general fishing in the sport category. Because this is literally a universal argument that justifies that any content with fishermen is a sport. But okay, stop here before it gets too personal.

Every kind of fishing is a sport.

"Fishing can be classified as a sport, not just a hobby. It requires physical exertion and skill."

Google is your friend if you don't believe me.

Oct 14, 2021 11:09 AM

Apr 2012
FMmatron said:
RobertBobert said:

"Fishing can be classified as a sport, not just a hobby. It requires physical exertion and skill."

So, Perfect Storm is a sports movie. I've always known this.
Oct 14, 2021 11:14 AM

Nov 2016
RobertBobert said:
FMmatron said:

Good for youjust realized you don't have Super Cub on your list

Oct 14, 2021 11:20 AM

Apr 2012
FMmatron said:
RobertBobert said:

Dude, I seriously don't understand why you keep bait me after accusing me so much of a pointless argument.
Oct 14, 2021 11:51 AM

Nov 2016
RobertBobert said:
FMmatron said:

Dude, I seriously don't understand why you keep bait me after accusing me so much of a pointless argument.

Sorry, but it's a hilarious detail I had to bring up xD

Oct 14, 2021 11:55 AM

Apr 2012
FMmatron said:
RobertBobert said:

Sorry, but it's a hilarious detail I had to bring up xD

You know perfectly well that this does not prevent me from being aware of the show, so in this case it is an explicit and meaningless bait.
Oct 14, 2021 1:26 PM

Jun 2021
So a TV crew comes to Nikko to film a ryokan, but then the next day they randomly decide to go film a random children's hockey class? Seems illogical.

Other than that, this episode was OK, if not kind of boring. The practice scenes felt like a rerun of the first episode. Of course, Mami transferring was the big surprise at the end, but the only problem is that this is episode 2 and I just don't care about Mami (or any of these characters). This story arc probably would have worked better if they pulled it off at a later episode.
Oct 14, 2021 1:36 PM

Nov 2019
Cute episode

I have a feeling the TV staff will return again, maybe they'll do some coverage on this team

I'll admit I'm intrigued by the new girl who was promo-ed, especially since her bio hints there may be some conflict between her and Manaka

Also yeah, its totally a CGDCT anime
Oct 19, 2021 10:31 PM
Nov 2018
yeah i'm gonna treat this like a cgdct show haha. this episode was more enjoyable than the previous. also dang mami's switching schools..she's probably gonna stay lol
Oct 21, 2021 8:35 AM

Dec 2018
When I watch this kind of anime I do it mostly because I like the cute girls

This have males in it. To many for my taste. Therefore it now have 1/10 and I probably going to drop it

Such waste of great potential

Oct 22, 2021 10:44 AM

Jun 2016
the animation still consistant , keep it up !!

Dec 19, 2021 11:57 PM

Nov 2013
So, Mami's gonna leave? Ok. I kinda liked her but there is like million of them so she can go if she wants. I like strawberry girl more anyway.
The coach is hot and apparently super-single, i like her alot.
The amount of dudes slightly annoys me. This TV guy was too detailed to be an ordinary NPC.
I really want to know more about long-haired girl at the bridge, i hope she will join the group next episode.
Thanks God they didn't do much idol stuff this time, so that was pretty good episode.
Dec 24, 2021 4:32 AM

Jun 2021
School transfered this early. What a twist

And the animation still good as well. Keep it up!
I'm gonna sit down here and watch them do it
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Puraore! Pride of Orange Episode 9 Discussion

KANLen09 - Dec 1, 2021

16 by Romax24245 »»
May 13, 7:55 AM

» Is it true to hockey rules

Foreall908 - May 14, 2023

2 by Escenity »»
May 15, 2023 12:20 AM

Poll: » Puraore! Pride of Orange Episode 11 Discussion

KANLen09 - Dec 15, 2021

12 by Foreall908 »»
May 14, 2023 8:00 PM

Poll: » Puraore! Pride of Orange Episode 5 Discussion

KANLen09 - Nov 3, 2021

22 by Destroyer31 »»
May 6, 2023 10:30 AM

Poll: » Puraore! Pride of Orange Episode 8 Discussion

AkeZZZ - Nov 24, 2021

18 by Romax24245 »»
Apr 10, 2023 11:33 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.