Forum Settings
Forums

Journey: Taiko Arabia Hantou de no Kiseki to Tatakai no Monogatari Episode 1 Discussion

New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 1, 2021 1:37 PM

Nov 2016
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Okayish movie. Probably not something that will stick with me. I somewhat liked the stories of the prophets and the action packed second half, but I would say that the stacked seiyuu cast was the highlight that carried. A shame, because on the paper, this is certainly a breath of fresh air.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 2, 2021 2:26 AM

Feb 2020
I like it. Great way to bring out folklore and mythologies. Unique style of storytelling. Voice acting was superb. Though animation was inconsistent [felt really good at places and felt poor at places]. Probably the 3 tales suffered most since there ppt slideshow like (though the character designs were really good)

Overall i enjoyed it quite a bit. I definitely made me interested in watching the other animated series
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Oct 3, 2021 11:33 AM

Jan 2018
Saudi Arabia x Japan is a collaboration I never expected to see in my life. After watching the trailer which I think came out like a year ago I wasn't all that excited. But the movie is finally accessible to a wider audience now and after learning that the story of this movie is actually based on Surah Al-Fil I was shook and I knew then I had to check it out.

Surah Al-Fil (Chapter of the Elephant) is the 105th surah of the Holy Quran and it's one of the shortest chapters with only 5 verses(!). How they stretched that into nearly 2 hours I had no idea and that's the thing I mainly wanted to find out by watching the movie.

The story itself which was told in the surah took place in 570CE just a few months before the birth of the Last Messenger Muhammad ﷺ. So it's definitely one of the most important folktales or history (depending on who you ask) of the Meccan Arabs.
But that's basically where the similarity ends. The anime movie takes lots of creative liberties that deviates from the story I was told by introducing many original characters. Having original characters isn't necessarily a bad thing but that isn't the only thing that's "new" in the movie.
According to the original story that I heard before, Abraha's forces didn't fight any Meccan warriors. The grandfather of the Prophet ﷺ Abdul Muttalib didn't decide to fight back and left the whole thing up to God's hands. And God did His job of protecting His sanctuary that'd later be purified by Muhammad ﷺ.
They even changed the existing characters.
Abraha al-Ashram himself was a Christian ruler and originally he built a beautiful Church in his capital but after it failed to get many pilgrims he decided to destroy its closest competitor, the Ka'aba which was in Mecca, the largest trade center in the Arab peninsula. I find it strange that in the anime he turned into more of an atheist(?) or at least irreligious. Japan's Christian population is currently larger than its Muslim minority so it's possible they played it safe to avoid any controversy.
But that isn't the thing, the movie has this weird vibe of portraying the Meccans as monotheists when in reality the majority of the pre-Islamic Arabs were polytheists. The Ka'aba itself housed 360 idols, all of which were destroyed by Muhammad ﷺ's own hands in 630CE after the bloodless conquest of Mecca. I feel like Saudi Arabians are the ones who asked for this change to make the Meccans look more like how they are now which is a bit disappointing but I understand why they did it.

The narration at the beginning by Aws was a bit jarring to me but thankfully there wasn't much of it in the middle of the movie during the action. I thought it was interesting that stories of 3 Prophets (Nuh AS, Musa AS and Hud AS) were told from the perspective of basically side characters (which I never heard of before so I assume they were original). These small segments ranged from around 5 to 10 minutes and I actually liked them a lot. Sure they weren't anything I didn't already before but it was cool to see them "animated". The artstyle used for Aad, the people of Hud AS was the highlight for me.
These scenes were a nice change of pace from the regular desert sceneries which understandably looked kinda boring. Narratively they also had huge significance as they foreshadowed the miraculous ending of the movie.

Lots of media nowadays tries to portray God as a "villain" and relying on fate or destiny as "weak", especially in Japan with JRPGs involving kids slaying ancient gods and the world still continuing like normal. The ending of this movie with the involvement of an All-Powerful AND JUST God was a breath of fresh air. But it also made me realize why movies tend to avoid using miracles that might be too on the nose nowadays.

Like I said the battle itself didn't take place and there were no Meccan casualties. And Abraha and his army were turned into mincemeat (their corpses becoming indistinguishable from person to person and the elephants) from the small pebbles dropped by the ababil on their way which were later discovered.
Abraha didn’t die getting crushed by a huge piece of rock like it was in the anime (tho I admit it was rad as hell). He retreated after getting fatally wounded only to collapse before entering his capital iirc.
(But what do I know, maybe there was a battle. Allahu Alam) Afaik the Abdul Muttalib and the other Meccans knew about Abraha's goals but they chose not to fight like I previously stated.
But this wouldn't make for a very compelling narrative. New characters like Aws ibn Jubair and Zurara weren't bad though I probably wouldn't remember them after a few months. The design of the characters were actually really good and didn't feel too anime. The fights also seemed reasonably realistic, I thought they'd go all-out with crazy anime fight scenes with maybe magic and djinns and stuff but maybe Toei didn't have enough budget to go that far. In the end the movie probably only benefitted from this choice imo.

I've watched the Arabic dub but since I normally don't watch Arabic media I couldn't determine the actual quality of it. From what I could tell it was good. I switched between Japanese and Arabic on some small periods to compare them and honestly the Japanese dub was probably better but that might just be my weeaboo side speaking. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Yes this movie has many flaws if you approach it critically but I still enjoyed it. The characters aren't all that memorable except for Aws the main character and his friend Zurara. Abraha was cool but his actual goals come off as cartoonish villainy because his religious motivations were cut. It has poor pacing and probably shouldn't have been nearly 2 hours long. I honestly think this movie would've been better if it was a little shorter. I think anyone can enjoy it if they have 2 hours to spare however. Just don't expect anything too fancy.
I hope Manga Productions keep making new anime that will be better than this.
I'd like to see more anime based on Islamic tales and history. Obviously they can't depict the life of the Prophet Muhammad ﷺ due to strict anti-idolatry laws of Islam. But a series based on Khalid bin Walid animated like Wit Studio's Vinland Saga could be wild if done properly.
0451Oct 4, 2021 4:12 AM
Oct 5, 2021 10:21 AM

May 2012
Meh boring movie... I watched 2x speed in the 2nd half because I got bored

4/10
Oct 6, 2021 8:19 AM
Nov 2013
0451 said:
Saudi Arabia x Japan is a collaboration I never expected to see in my life. After watching the trailer which I think came out like a year ago I wasn't all that excited. But the movie is finally accessible to a wider audience now and after learning that the story of this movie is actually based on Surah Al-Fil I was shook and I knew then I had to check it out.

Surah Al-Fil (Chapter of the Elephant) is the 105th surah of the Holy Quran and it's one of the shortest chapters with only 5 verses(!). How they stretched that into nearly 2 hours I had no idea and that's the thing I mainly wanted to find out by watching the movie.

The story itself which was told in the surah took place in 570CE just a few months before the birth of the Last Messenger Muhammad ﷺ. So it's definitely one of the most important folktales or history (depending on who you ask) of the Meccan Arabs.
But that's basically where the similarity ends. The anime movie takes lots of creative liberties that deviates from the story I was told by introducing many original characters. Having original characters isn't necessarily a bad thing but that isn't the only thing that's "new" in the movie.
According to the original story that I heard before, Abraha's forces didn't fight any Meccan warriors. The grandfather of the Prophet ﷺ Abdul Muttalib didn't decide to fight back and left the whole thing up to God's hands. And God did His job of protecting His sanctuary that'd later be purified by Muhammad ﷺ.
Abraha al-Ashram himself was a Christian ruler and originally he built a beautiful Church in his capital but after it failed to get many pilgrims he decided to destroy its closest competitor, the Ka'aba which was in Mecca, the largest trade center in the Arab peninsula. I find it strange that in the anime he turned into more of an atheist(?) or at least irreligious. Japan's Christian population is currently larger than its Muslim minority so it's possible they played it safe to avoid any controversy.
But that isn't the thing, the movie has this weird vibe of portraying the Meccans as monotheists when in reality the majority of the pre-Islamic Arabs were polytheists. The Ka'aba itself housed 360 idols, all of which were destroyed by Muhammad ﷺ's own hands in 630CE after the bloodless conquest of Mecca. I feel like Saudi Arabians are the ones who asked for this change to make the Meccans look more like how they are now which is a bit disappointing but I understand why they did it.

The narration at the beginning by Aws was a bit jarring to me but thankfully there wasn't much of it in the middle of the movie during the action. I thought it was interesting that stories of 3 Prophets (Nuh AS, Musa AS and Hud AS) were told from the perspective of basically side characters (which I never heard of before so I assume they were original). These small segments ranged from around 5 to 10 minutes and I actually liked them a lot. Sure they weren't anything I didn't already before but it was cool to see them "animated". The artstyle used for Aad, the people of Hud AS was the highlight for me.
These scenes were a nice change of pace from the regular desert sceneries which understandably looked kinda boring. Narratively they also had huge significance as they foreshadowed the miraculous ending of the movie.

Lots of media nowadays tries to portray God as a "villain" and relying on fate or destiny as "weak", especially in Japan with JRPGs involving kids slaying ancient gods and the world still continuing like normal. The ending of this movie with the involvement of an All-Powerful AND JUST God was a breath of fresh air. But it also made me realize why movies tend to avoid using miracles that might be too on the nose nowadays.

Like I said the battle itself didn't take place and there were no Meccan casualties. And Abraha and his army were turned into mincemeat (their corpses becoming indistinguishable from person to person and the elephants) from the small pebbles dropped by the ababil on their way which were later discovered.
Abraha didn’t die getting crushed by a huge piece of rock like it was in the anime (tho I admit it was rad as hell). He retreated after getting fatally wounded only to collapse before entering his capital iirc.
(But what do I know, maybe there was a battle. Allahu Alam) Afaik the Abdul Muttalib and the other Meccans knew about Abraha's goals but they chose not to fight like I previously stated.
But this wouldn't make for a very compelling narrative. New characters like Aws ibn Jubair and Zurara weren't bad though I probably wouldn't remember them after a few months. The design of the characters were actually really good and didn't feel too anime. The fights also seemed reasonably realistic, I thought they'd go all-out with crazy anime fight scenes with maybe magic and djinns and stuff but maybe Toei didn't have enough budget to go that far. In the end the movie probably only benefitted from this choice imo.

I've watched the Arabic dub but since I normally don't watch Arabic media I couldn't determine the actual quality of it. From what I could tell it was good. I switched between Japanese and Arabic on some small periods to compare them and honestly the Japanese dub was probably better but that might just be my weeaboo side speaking. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Yes this movie has many flaws if you approach it critically but I still enjoyed it. The characters aren't all that memorable except for Aws the main character and his friend Zurara. Abraha was cool but his actual goals come off as cartoonish villainy because his religious motivations were cut. It has poor pacing and probably shouldn't have been nearly 2 hours long. I honestly think this movie would've been better if it was a little shorter. I think anyone can enjoy it if they have 2 hours to spare however. Just don't expect anything too fancy.
I'd like to see more anime based on Islamic tales and history. Obviously they can't depict the life of the Prophet Muhammad ﷺ due to strict anti-idolatry laws of Islam. But a series based on Khalid bin Walid animated like Wit Studio's Vinland Saga could be wild if done properly.

I agree with all the positive and negative points you mentioned !
But I'm still wondering why they chose to base the movie on this particular story while there are longer and more complex stories. As a result of their choice i thought that all the characters ( maybe except Aws) were one-dimentional and i didn't care about any of them
Anyway it was a different thing to watch and it was kinda fun. Hopefully we'll see more Arabic or islamic stories in anime
Oct 6, 2021 8:45 AM

Jan 2018
Oussema said:
0451 said:

But I'm still wondering why they chose to base the movie on this particular story while there are longer and more complex stories. As a result of their choice i thought that all the characters ( maybe except Aws) were one-dimentional and i didn't care about any of them
Anyway it was a different thing to watch and it was kinda fun. Hopefully we'll see more Arabic or islamic stories in anime
yeah looking back my comment about the movie seems more like a review than a... comment.
lol
glad you liked it

It baffles me why they chose to adapt this particular story too.
If they had to adapt something from the Quran they could've adapted Dhul Qarnayn where they could've taken more "creative liberties".
I would've liked adaptations of Prophet Uzayr (pbuh) or Prophet Yusuf (pbuh) from Surah Yusuf from the Quran too, the latter of which I think is the most unique chapter due to its structure being like an epic whereas other chapters are usually more poetic. But since these stories focus on the Prophets I suppose an animated movie would be impossible due to anti-idolatry rulings like I already said.

Those who don't know much about the characters I mentioned here should search them on YouTube. There are some good narrations telling their story out there.
0451Oct 6, 2021 1:25 PM
Oct 6, 2021 9:11 AM
Nov 2013
0451 said:
Oussema said:

yeah looking back my comment about the movie seems more like a review than a... comment.
lol
glad you liked it

It baffles me why they chose to adapt this particular story too.
If they had to adapt something from the Quran they could've adapted Dhul Qarnayn where they could've taken more "creative liberties".
I would've liked adaptations of Prophet Uzayr or Surah Yusuf from the Quran too, the latter of which I think is the most unique chapter due to its structure being like an epic whereas other chapters are usually more poetic. But since these stories focus on the Prophets I suppose an animated movie would be impossible due to anti-idolatry rulings like I already said.

Those who don't know much about the characters I mentioned here should search them on YouTube. There are some good narrations telling their story out there.

I liked your comment indeed. I didn't even know the full story of Abraha so what you said was interesting. If they focused more on his character and motives in the movie it would've been way better

Exactly!

I don't know Prophet Uzayr's story, i'll check thd videos you metioned. Thanks :D
Oct 6, 2021 10:00 AM

Nov 2020
Basically the main and 3 other prophet story is from al-quran I was read and they brought it very amazing. I know there's some fiction element but it didn't change from real event and those just for uplifting the main story.

This great anime movie, I feel bad to someone who can't enjoy watched this movie.
What Does Pot of Greed do?
Oct 6, 2021 8:58 PM
Jun 2021
0451 said:

Well, I heard that this movie doesn't took all from Al-Quran.The movie just an inspiration from Surah Al-fil and this movie completely Original. Some say that this movie is an adaptation from
0451 said:

Well, I heard that this movie is just an inspiration from Al-Quran Surah Al-fil. The Story doesn't completely true.Some say that this movie is an adaptation from a arabic folklore. CMIIW!
Oct 7, 2021 4:31 AM
Jul 2021
0451 said:

Firstly, the only reason the people in their OWN mind forbid drawings of prophet because they were afraid people might worship them, Like so called Shia.

Before you say, it’s haram, find me one Surah in the Quran that it is haram.
Before people said drawing the SAHABAH was haram, but now I found it on films and movie. Please before you say, think, is it based on RELIGION that says don’t portray or draw prophets then following by Boeing to them or is this just a cultural ideology?

Man people can’t think these days
Oct 7, 2021 6:34 AM

Jan 2018
CytonicDevil said:
0451 said:

Firstly, the only reason the people in their OWN mind forbid drawings of prophet because they were afraid people might worship them, Like so called Shia.

Before you say, it’s haram, find me one Surah in the Quran that it is haram.
Before people said drawing the SAHABAH was haram, but now I found it on films and movie. Please before you say, think, is it based on RELIGION that says don’t portray or draw prophets then following by Boeing to them or is this just a cultural ideology?

Man people can’t think these days
I had a feeling there was going to be a post like this here eventually.
Unfortunately I won't be responding to your queries. This is an anime forum. Delving too deep into religion is not just off-topic but also most likely against the rules in MAL.
I hope you can understand.
Oct 11, 2021 3:37 AM

Jul 2015
Had some flaws but still good movie nonetheless. With Islam basically non-existent in anime compared to like Christianity, its cool to see a movie on a story of the Quran and very promising for similiar anime in the future based on tales and history on not only Islam but also other religions or countries.

Oct 27, 2021 6:53 PM
Oct 2021
Pretty bad, flashback stories are mostly fictional that have nothing to do with the Arabic narrative ( iram was neither a city of giants nor older than Mecca). Other than the last 20 minutes the movie was pretty bad and ahistorical. It’s really odd that saudis that appear illiterate about their own history participated in this, it would be considered blasphemy back in the day.
From a technical strand point it was also a failure, bad art and poor character design with odd fall back on several anime tropes ( ancient Arabian fat nerd ?). The collaborative nature shows with the good bits rearing their head here and there but it’s not clear which team was responsible for this.

It’s not clear why they wanted to corrupt an Islamic story instead of taking one of several hundreds in Arabian folklore (for example the blue eyed Yemeni seer Zarqaa al-yamama ) that would’ve worked well within the production, there appears to have been a clash with the Saudi and Japanese team. Unfortunately the saudis involved in this appear to be illiterate and the director was only chosen because of the familiarity with his detective conan which was popular in Arabic back in the day on cartoon channels. Ancient Arabic swords for example were not curved, they were straight.
XRhetoricOct 27, 2021 7:06 PM
Nov 2, 2021 7:58 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Okay movie, had its good moment. But the movie imo just too dragging out and so stretched from the whole flow of the story telling. Its making me somehow get bored, and can't stop thinking to fast forwarding the movie especially when they reach the miracle tale parts, which, for my honest opinion, isn't really necessary. They serve it only to span the time out into a long one. And its the only good job they had while making this movie. Toei? No way its them.

Its not that bad. But, honestly can be better rather than spanning the duration into almost 2 hour for a single story.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jan 27, 2022 2:40 PM
May 2014
Cartoonishly evil antagonist and his henchmen VS typical shounen protagonist and his nakama, I and my brother were about to fast forward multiple times but held off because we thought it might get better but nope, although as a Muslim I would like to watch more animated islam-related stuff but this was boring.
"ya know what.... maybe HxH is fine staying exactly as it is in stasis. maybe we don't always need an ending" —manDboogie
Jan 7, 2023 2:06 PM
Apr 2020
Adampk said:
I like it. Great way to bring out folklore and mythologies. Unique style of storytelling. Voice acting was superb. Though animation was inconsistent [felt really good at places and felt poor at places]. Probably the 3 tales suffered most since there ppt slideshow like (though the character designs were really good)

Overall i enjoyed it quite a bit. I definitely made me interested in watching the other animated series

Mashallah Brother, this review was great! I loved how you were critical about the anime and gave reasonable points. I also very much appreciated how you related and compared to the actual Islamic Story in the Quran,its clear you were very educated on this story. I hope your review will encourage more people to find out more about Islam.
I think they actually did a decent Job on this anime movie, it's better than what I'd expected it to be on paper. I just hope it's talked about more and more people check it out.The hype for it was insane when the trailer dropped but it died down when the movie actually released. Idk whether it was successful or not, someone let me know. Anime × Histrocal Events just goes so well together, I hope this movie was successful so we can see more movies like these 👍
Jan 7, 2023 2:08 PM
Apr 2020
Adampk said:

Mashallah Brother, this review was great! I loved how you were critical about the anime and gave reasonable points. I also very much appreciated how you related and compared to the actual Islamic Story in the Quran,its clear you were very educated on this story. I hope your review will encourage more people to find out more about Islam.
I think they actually did a decent Job on this anime movie, it's better than what I'd expected it to be on paper. I just hope it's talked about more and more people check it out.The hype for it was insane when the trailer dropped but it died down when the movie actually released. Idk whether it was successful or not, someone let me know. Anime × Histrocal Events just goes so well together, I hope this movie was successful so we can see more movies like these 👍
Jan 24, 2023 1:12 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
Decent. Better than I expected.
Jun 26, 2023 8:01 AM

May 2020
I came with the wrong expectation. Didn't know the movie is mainly filled with stories compilation. I thought it's more focused on the abrahah thing, It's still enjoyable. I'll definitely enjoy this more as a kid

I really like aws's design tho, he's cool. Plus he's voiced by the great Amuro Ray! Voice acting is great in general. Decided to check the arabian Dub after watching it, and it still slap!
┏────────┓
WHY
Is HoneyComeBear so Underrated?

─────────
┗─────────┛
Jun 28, 2023 8:08 AM
Jun 2023
Amazing and outstanding for Muslims and Anime Lovers!!!
Jul 17, 2023 4:39 AM

Aug 2017
I wonder how many non-muslims watched this lol. IMO the flashbacks showing the 3 tales were pretty nicely done, I loved the art direction. Although they broke the pacing a bit.

More topics from this board

» Just my opinion about this anime

Drakath_V - Oct 6, 2021

9 by aniart_nation »»
Apr 10, 5:38 PM

» Does anyone know where to watch this?

dowoma - Aug 2, 2021

5 by Omaevamoshinderu »»
Jan 7, 2023 1:20 PM

» What are your thoughts about it as a Muslim?

ser_ene - Jul 14, 2021

17 by FluffyCakeChan »»
Dec 27, 2021 3:37 PM

» important and recommendation

Hhguf - Oct 12, 2021

0 by Hhguf »»
Oct 12, 2021 8:59 AM

» Shahid Arabic Streaming service will stream the movie in 1st October

LoliSenpai0x - Sep 16, 2021

0 by LoliSenpai0x »»
Sep 16, 2021 10:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.