Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
No Matter How I Look at It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular!
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 24, 2021 12:27 PM

Dec 2019
WataMote is my favorite anime, but I've been wondering if the reason I like it is because Tomoko is "relatable". (I hate that word.) And I haven't really heard of people who like the show and don't have social anxiety.
To be honest, I could be one of those people. My social skills have improved dramatically since first watching the show (I'm not a social butterfly, but I don't have too many problems.), and I still love it. I think the show is a masterpiece. Everything from the art to the music to the voice acting to the characters fit together to make a great story. However, I could see me liking it as a type of "nostalgia" for my awkward years, and I wonder if I would still like it if I was a natural extrovert who never had social anxiety.
I'm curious about your experience in this.
Sep 24, 2021 1:02 PM

Jul 2020
I haven’t watched the anime you’re talking abt but I highly doubt that the only people interested are ones with social anxiety. Anybody can like a whatever they wanna like
Sep 24, 2021 1:19 PM
Apr 2019
I'm gonna assume yes in a lot of cases. I have social anxiety, anxiety and depression (none too severe anymore dw) and I loved watamote. Latest TheAnimeMan video he spoke about hating the show as someone who doesn't have social anxiety, he thought it was just making fun of social anxiety in the wackiest way. I still related with it and got a laugh out of it, although the show is very over the top and cringy, that's what I think people enjoy about it.
Sep 24, 2021 1:20 PM

Dec 2019
Captain-Andrew said:
I haven’t watched the anime you’re talking abt but I highly doubt that the only people interested are ones with social anxiety. Anybody can like a whatever they wanna like

Sure, people can like whatever, but WataMote is an absolute cringefest, and it might be very hard to like the show if you don't like and understand the main character, Tomoko. Tomoko being relatable is a big part of why people like the show.
However, I can see people without social anxiety liking the show. (I'll call them extroverts for lack of a better word.) Many extroverts are very friendly to awkward introverts in real life. So, it's not a massive leap to believe that they could like the fictional Tomoko and be able to handle the cringe.
Sep 24, 2021 1:43 PM

Aug 2019
I don't think Watamote and NHK Ni Youkoso (the older, more brutal, male variant. Sato is OG Tomoko you could say) are meant to be relatable.
Both are dark comedies that happen to be very realistic and "relatable" in many ways, but very unrealistic and un relatable in many other ways.

They're "relatable*" with an asterisk. I have had social anxiety at one point (probably still have a weaker version of it hanging around inside me) but never really fully connected with either MC. but like I said, that's not the point of the shows. I liked both shows, btw.

Both extroverts and introverts can like this, provided they can handle the cringe. After all, we get to relate to villains or bad (on purpose) characters from other shows / movies despite having nothing in common with them.

Watch Welcome to the Dollhouse for the movie version of a girl being bullied nonstop by life, it has coma inducing levels of cringe and awkwardness.
Sep 24, 2021 5:45 PM

May 2021
I guess you like it better when you relate to the story and the characters, but I wouldn't say you need to have social anxiety to enjoy it.
Sep 24, 2021 7:03 PM

Feb 2021
Relatability is a good thing in anime, but it’s not absolutely necessary to make a show or character likable. If a you find a character or a situation in an a anime relatable, great, but if it’s not there, that’s not a bad thing.

You’re right to bring up relatability for this show. It sort of exaggerates how badly things seem for people who have social anxiety, but still I can imagine people relate to it easily. That probably plays a big role in its popularity.

But for me, WataMote is just good. It’s a bit different. It effectively treads a fine line between hilarity and utter depression. It’s a little unique in that. Technically it’s “cringe comedy,” but that’s a spectrum like anything else, albeit a fairly rare genre. WataMote does it well.
Anteiku Anime Reviews
anteikuanimereviews.com
Sep 27, 2021 4:45 AM
Nov 2020
At its heart, I think it's overall a good story with alot of relatable jokes, regardless of one's own social skills which makes it very accessable. It's exaggerated in some parts, but I think that's pretty standard for all anime, even the most 'realistic' and down-to-earth shows, and Watamote definitely isn't going for that.
Sep 28, 2021 10:02 AM
Jan 2020
Yes.... cauze... im a house jailed boy since 5. So yeah... you can get what i meant
Mehehehee
Oct 6, 2021 6:01 PM

Jul 2019
You just have to understand it, and I don't mean that like "you need X IQ to get this or you wont like it". But like just follow the basic concepts of what the anime is trying to get at, hell, you could probably learn what social anxiety is like during this anime.
Oct 6, 2021 6:16 PM

Sep 2015
Watamote helped me understand what I was going through while I was in HS. My social anxiety is still pretty much the same but at that time I had no idea what social anxiety was, and wasn't very knowledgeable on mental health in general. I basically thought I was the only one going through this and Tomoko made me feel way less alone and made me realize I wasn't the only one. Before watching Watamote I just thought there was something wrong with me my entire school life.
Oct 20, 2021 6:14 PM

Mar 2019
I don't think that you need to have social anxiety to like Watamote, but it does help. Personally, I loved the show. As someone who is very socially awkward, the show connected with almost instantly in a way that wouldn't happen if I didn't understand how it felt to be in similar situations. I think that is why a lot of people don't like the show- If you don't understand it like that, the show is going to feel weird and embarrassing. I think that a lot of parts of Watamote are really funny, and part of that is that I've done similar things and I'm really laughing at myself.
Jan 20, 2022 7:30 PM

Feb 2019
No, one just have to be openminded and be accepting that these things do indeed happen in real life. Same goes for a lot of other anime/themes.
Feb 16, 2022 1:36 PM
Jul 2019
yes, I like the show precisely because my life is as miserable as Tomoko's
Oct 2, 2022 1:27 AM

Feb 2019
Yes and that's what makes it funnier too.
Oct 2, 2022 1:35 AM

May 2021
Nope, I'd say it depends on how you view each episode & if there's anything that you found funny that happened in the episodes.
Oct 12, 2022 9:29 PM
May 2022
probably, yeah
the only reason I liked watching this was because it was super relatable. take that away, and it’s just secondhand cringe.

maybe if the show was more funny it would be better. i watched this while wincing at tomoko and going “welp, yeah. I’m just as bad.”
and I don’t think it really covers most people with social anxiety (well duh), but the sulky mindset of “im just gonna blame everyone else because im not popular.”
strawbxxyOct 12, 2022 9:39 PM
Dec 22, 2022 8:27 AM

Apr 2015
I love Watamote because it's very relatable to me. Of course, it takes it to the extremes, but I can totally relate.
Jan 16, 2023 3:19 AM

Nov 2018
Any autistic asocial geek will like it I guess, can't relate.
I hate everyone equally
Aug 28, 2023 8:06 PM
Jun 2022
You don't need to relate to enjoy anything, relating just makes it easy to empathize with the characters.
The same way, even if you relate it does not mean you will enjoy it.
That being said, Tomoko's personality and story is convoluted with comedy and drama and it is not clear what it whats to be which leaves to the reader to decide if you want to that her serious or as a comedy tool.
The last 4 episodes were great and clear that she was really at the lowest point ever but the rest really pass easily as a joke.
It's not bad, it should just be clear on where it is heading.

More topics from this board

» Need help identifying a song

XeroBeat - Apr 26

1 by CatChud »»
Apr 26, 5:35 AM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 5, 2013

240 by Thnikkakid »»
Apr 11, 7:56 PM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 9, 2013

201 by 5hadow17 »»
Apr 11, 4:27 AM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 15, 2013

377 by OpelManta »»
Mar 27, 3:48 PM

Poll: » Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaetemo Omaera ga Warui! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

rederoin - Jul 8, 2013

653 by OpelManta »»
Mar 27, 3:26 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.