Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Honor Student at Magic High School
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 14, 2021 7:58 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Looks like Shizuku is getting some spotlight in this episode's round of games, or more specifically Speed Shooting.

It seems Third High also ran into some problems of their own involving one of their players. Touko also displayed some great skill in her match so I guess she wasn't just all talk. I'm underwhelmed by this episode though. Some of the episode segments felt all over the place and for some reason, they decided to throw in more daydream-like fantasies because why not. Hope the next episode is better.
Aug 14, 2021 7:59 AM

Nov 2007
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Aug 14, 2021 9:46 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Shiori's skill at calculation and spatial recog is damm impressive. Its nice to see George has more a role within the spin off. The semi finals sure did well in combining both the action and character expansion via the insight into Shiori's past. Tatsuya's deception really worked wonders in ensuring that first high is sweeping the foe clear and attain high rankings. But the effects on Shiori sure were harsh. Toko despite her curious quirks has some pretty interesting magic. Tatsuya's skill at optimizing the best magic to be used is pretty impressive as is his ability to make a girls heart aflutter. Its good that Shiori was able to recover thanks to the reminder of the bond that exists between her and Airi. Overall an interesting ep that while showing how Honoka and co are sweeping aside the opposition thanks to Tatsuya's skills also did well to showcase Shiroi and expand upon both her and Airi as characters. Feels like things are starting to heat up as the competition continues into the finals.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 14, 2021 9:53 AM

Feb 2019
I’m loving this perspective of the nine schools competition, really cool to see the drama with Airi, Shiori and the rest of the third high girls. Almost makes you want to root for them.

Honoka was always super cute, but the spin off is making me like her even more. Loved how flustered she got during her daydreams about Tatsuya lol
Aug 14, 2021 10:06 AM

Aug 2013
I take back what I said about Airi in the last episode discussion. Ngl, this episode made me like her a bit.

Shizuku was able to show off her skills in Speed Shooting. Shiori was incredible with her abilities though thanks to Tatsuya's strategy, things went well for Shizuku.

Honoka and her daydreams are quite amusing. XD

Aug 14, 2021 10:17 AM
Jun 2021
Was a good episode . Shizuku's match was fun. Touko showed good sportsmanship, Honoka was adorable with her daydreams. Can't wait for Miyuki to sweep the tournament.
Aug 14, 2021 10:41 AM

Apr 2018
The new girls are just perfect. Love seeing them. Well, an easy match for Shizuka. And Honoka's thoughts are lewd asf. She should just focus on her match lol. Anyway, a good episode. Can't wait for Tatsuya to shine.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Aug 14, 2021 5:40 PM

Apr 2015
This spin-off is making me love Honoka even more. Such a pure girl on the outside, but on the inside she has the wildest of fantasies!! (or atleast that's what she thinks)
Aug 14, 2021 7:35 PM

Aug 2020
Honoka is so cute in this ep! I got goosebumps again from tatsuya being a pro engineer

» [The World's Continuation【世界のつづき】- UTA/Ado ♪] «
0:00 〇────── 4:55
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

Come and Join us!
Evil Club ψ
FuwaFuwa Sanctuary ✿
✿ DeaD Blossoms ✿
Aug 14, 2021 9:00 PM
Apr 2021
the usual mahouka problems are present, suppose there's no need to mention them at this point

but the whole third high stuff feels really unnatural to me, especially when watching the show with the context of the main series. That speed shooting girl from third high had the most cliche backstory which could have had a lot of potential to tie into the whole weeds/blooms classism thematic message of the show. But instead it's used to make her more emotionally dependent of Airi. I wouldn't exactly say what the show went with was bad... but the execution certainly ruined it for me. Her obsession of viewing everything in terms of Airi really reduces her own agency and strength as a character. The fact that her emotional problems were solved in terms of Airi as well just makes this unhealthy dependency worse (then again, the entire show is composed of characters being unhealthily dependent on Tatsuya, so is Airi just meant to be the third high equivalent of our all powerful MC?)

Overall the episode was just meh. It wasn't as shameless as some of the other episodes, but it still reused a lot of Tatsuya-centric scenes without reorienting them with the context of this new story being told.
Aug 14, 2021 10:38 PM

Feb 2020
Ummm did they give that chick fat woohoo lips???? Wtf

Aug 14, 2021 11:16 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Oh yeah, Shizuku first, and then Honoka later. Their Third High opponents actually had some interesting ability and magic under their butts. Too bad they were predicting the wrong things on their minds, especially with Shizuku case. God has been protecting First High rookie from the start. So there's no way they can't win them all over. End of lines. Also, man, they seriously never forget to put one or two lewd fan service at every possible ways. Good job, studio.

Really looking forward to see Miyuki and Shizuku performance again while cosplaying in the ice pillar break event, if i am not mistaken the sequences. It should've make the rivality with the Third High girls become more interesting, as how this spin-off is suppose to happen in the first place. Lets see....
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Aug 15, 2021 4:07 AM

Nov 2019
At least there were something new, but still didn't leave any bite mark, since there was no baby tooth. Gum only.
SgtBateManAug 15, 2021 4:33 AM
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Aug 15, 2021 1:50 PM

Feb 2014
Honoka might be a sweet, innocent and pure girl, but in this episode, she can also let her imagination and fantasies run rampant and it was pretty lewd, too. I like this side of her even more now! XD

This episode was pretty good, I must say. Although seeing Shizuku winning her battle against Shiori was great, it was a good insight in seeing what happened afterwards with Shiori, whose troubled past made her retreat into her own shell of depression that made Airi really worried for her.

Thankfully one of Airi's friends was there to help Shiori out of her shell by reminding her of how the two of them met and became friends at a fencing tournament and encouraged her to take the step in the right direction. It does make you want to root for them in a way. =)
Aug 15, 2021 11:57 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
They should recruit Brice de Nice, he's a way better surfer
Aug 16, 2021 1:43 AM

Oct 2017
The nine school competition continues with a bit more background details and new characters POV, things are going fine for now. Also lol Honoka's imagination ran wild there.
Aug 17, 2021 4:03 AM

Jan 2016
Is it weird that I'm more invested in this spin-off than the main series?

I'm also liking Honoka way more in this surprisingly as I found her to be annoying during the second season
FireFistYKAug 17, 2021 4:08 AM
Aug 17, 2021 7:15 AM

May 2018
not bad episode. We get to see how Shizuku wins
Aug 20, 2021 4:15 AM
Apr 2021
so funny story, I for some reason never got the notification for your latest post. For second I thought I saw it and forgot, but I checked and I was never sent a notification. Sad indeed. Luckily I got one for your latest post.

malMaxi said:
I agree a creator does not ultimately judge their work - instead it is judged by the customer/consumer and society in general. However I would also say this has little bearing on the conclusion you have drawn. A creator may hate his creation and see only its flaws (as Tolkien did) and yet it will be beloved by many. Conversely a creator may believe his creation perfect, and yet it is abhorred by many more. I would say it is certainly a window into the creative psyche behind the creation, however it has little relation to the value of a work.

I seem to have poorly expressed the conclusion i have drawn :(

To begin with, i do not think the value of the work is only judged by consumers. It is also judged by other creators that further build upon that work, including the original creator.
You are correct to point out the apparent contradiction that exists between the existence of people loving the work (therefore seeing its value) and simultaneous existence of people hating the work (therefore denying its value). The way i choose to resolve this contradiction is to claim that both hate and love are blind, however love can at least help figure things out, whereas hate is utterly useless when it comes to understanding.
So if you want to figure out a work's value - you first listen to people that love it and then you get rid of the bias by listening to the opinions of people that hate it.
NOT the other way around.
The best art critics that i know of seem to be able to represent both positions within their own mind.

Being in a position of a creator that hates his own work that other people love is some of the hardest things in the world, precisely because getting out of that conundrum requires you to first listen to someone other than yourself. Which is especially hard for a creative, and doubly so for a kind of creative with a sense of self strong enough for that extreme kind of self-criticism.
I would agree hatred of a work on its own is not enough to properly judge it.
But I go about reconciling this with criticism in a slightly different manner. Both love and hate are based on your own expectations and what the work delivered to you. If you had incredibly low expectations and watched something great then you may love it irrationally. And if you have high expectation and watched an above average/mediocre work then you may hate it because it didn't live up to your expectations. In that way, a person's expectations are the key to deciphering their criticism and building up a picture of the inherent quality of a work.
I would say that it doesn't matter where you start as long as you are capable of separating the person's opinion into expectations + reality. It's especially useful in reviews where people give some context for how they were feeling beforehand. Pretending to be unbiased just makes it harder to filter out the actual bias. However I would agree that it is certainly harder to start from a point of hatred than a point of love. That has some exceptions. As an example, the early reviews for 86 on MAL were all super positive except for one or two. The positive ones literally said things like "I LOVE 86!!!!!!!!!" and nothing else - still ending up as one of the top reviews, whereas because the LN was so popular, haters were forced to write extensive essays in order to justify their (oftentimes) irrational hatred. I learnt more about 86 from the haters than the fans.

I would say that being a perfectionist creator is really good during the creative process, because you will constantly push yourself to create the best possible work. Tolkien probably wouldn't have created such a timeless classic if he wasn't a perfectionist (he also would have probably created a lot more lmao). But I'll agree that it has consequences for when you're interacting with fans or evaluating your own work.

malMaxi said:
I agree that Silmarillion is too much, but Quantum of Solace is too little. However, that's like saying "0*K is too cold and 10000*C is too hot" - doesn't seem to narrow things down too much :D

My point was that, even after doing Silmarillion's worth of planning, Tolkien still couldn't get the actual plan right without getting his hands dirty. In fact, maybe he wouldn't hate his work so much if he didn't plan it so hard :D. But then again, maybe Tolkien's painstaking planning is exactly the thing that allows the work to have this much of a following. So it is hard to say. Depends what he was trying to achieve, ultimately. I hear the purpose of the whole thing was bedtime stories for his kid, so i can definitely see how he could have felt that he far overshot the goal :D

The point i'm trying to make is that plan is not a be-all end-all. Your point has been that execution is not a be-all end-all either and i'm happy to agree on that.

However, i believe Mahouka's problem is much less the plan and much more the execution. There are some individual planning issues (specifically, the character of Miyuki and the whole attempt at social class affairs), but these are not the things really dragging the show down in my eyes.

well seems we have come to a fair conclusion on all that.
In terms of Mahouka itself, I would say there are planning issues beyond that. In my experience of Mahouka, what makes the main plot entertaining is that it is set up so that the opposing force is underestimating Tatsuya. They insult him, they talk down on him behind his back, and then during the main climax Tatsuya reveals some aspect of himself that shows them up and puts them in their place. It's often incredibly satisfying to watch because we the audience know Tatsuya's true strength, and so we get angry on his behalf when these side characters start criticising him.
The issue is that after a certain point he starts running out of people who underestimate him. Once he's put everyone in their place, there's no one for him to overcome - no more challenges for him to face. And so as the story continues to progress each time Tatsuya has more people on his side and more control over the situation. This to me demonstrates a lack of planning. Although perhaps this demonstrates the author prioritising their efforts setting up some stronger character and story that has yet to be animated.
But most certainly the execution is completely buggered.
If we consider this side series only, you can't even call it a story. This is more like watching a highlights role of the OG mahouka series with bits of mayuki shoved in. There is no thematic consistency, there isn't even any main character consistency, the story is essentially three different stories occurring at the same time - Tatsuya's story, Mayuiki's story, and Honoka's story, and they rarely ever intertwine in an organic way. Couple this with the fact that Tatsuya's story is barely coherent because it's just bits of the original story shoved in, Mayuki's story is inconsistent at best, with her often just being fanservicey or thinking about Tatsuya, or providing extra insight or commentary to events from the main series. Honoka is the only character here who has been fleshed out and given something resembling an arc. Looking back I will have to agree with you, the first episode is by far the only one so far that holds up as its own thing. The biggest problem here is that this series doesn't even deliver on its promise. This isn't about the Honour Student at Magic High School, this is still about Tatsuya, the Irregular.
To me it seems this series had no planning at all, they just followed the main story and then added some extra story and commentary and called it a day. There is so much that needed to be done here for this to even be considered barely competent. Mayuki needed an arc, and the entire story needed to be restructured around her so that it doesn't get sucked up into the vacuum of Tatsuya (although every single plot and aspect of mahouka comes back to Tatsuya. Is it even possible to write a parallel story from someone else's PoV?). I almost feel like instead of trying to fix it, someone should have asked why this spinoff even deserved to be made in the first place? I see nothing so far that justifies its existence.

malMaxi said:
Certainly there is a danger to too much flexibility, however I would define flexibility as a situation where you have a character with a specified beginning and ending (and perhaps several development beats to be executed down the line) and then you create this character in your mind's eye - they become as real to you as a living person, and you stand alongside them as the story evolves and guide them down the right path. That's a best case scenario. I know I've heard writers like Rowling talk about having strongly well-realised characters. However that's obviously not always possible. In which case any lack of imagination should be replaced with more planning. Whether or not you consider what I'm calling "planning" as real planning, I hope that I have at least clearly communicated my point - which is that a lack of imagination or "vision" should be made up for with more detailed and concrete groundwork.
As long as the plan doesn't overtake the vision.
Are you familiar with the little story of Borges called "House of Asterion"? In there, we have a pretty good example of a character who lost the vision behind an infinitely elaborate plan.
No I haven't
I'll check it out at some point.

malMaxi said:
there's a lot Oden planned back at the very start. Marineford is one example. The four emperors were planned since Shanks was introduced way back in the first arc. And there's a ton of stuff I don't know of that's been planned from the beginng, as well as a ton of stuff that's yet to happen which has been planned from the beginning. Oda's formula allows him to both plan concretely and flexibly. Separating the world into different islands allows him to have entire massive arcs in which he only has a very minute amount of long term storytelling to incorporate, and has almost complete creative freedom in the moment he approaches that arc to do whatever he wants without having to be constraint by years of planning. Although that's changed with Wano, since it's the second last arc planned for the anime, and so the next two arcs are going to wrap the entire main story up. In around 7-8 years, we'll finally get to see Luffy find the One Piece. Overall there are plenty of minor details that he obviously didn't plan from the beginning, however you have to recognise Oda's incredible vision for the world of One Piece.

I agree that Oda's vision is incredible.

I could totally see him envisioning some key moments very early on, specifically the burning of Marineford flag. In fact, "vision" usually relies on such vivid moments as pillars that help structure it.

I also agree that the "series of islands" approach is an incredible structural find. It does, indeed, open a great opportunity for on-the-spur creativity, as long as the island's place in the vision is well defined (in terms of how we enter the island, how we leave it and what specifically changes in the big picture while we are on it).

What i do not see is Oda having a very good idea from day one of who exactly the four emperors are and how they fit into the plot. Of the four, only Whitebeard really really worked for me as characters (Shanks remains more of a symbolic fixture, Big Mam and Kaido are more monsters of the week in my eyes).

Also, Tenryubito do not feature nearly heavily enough into the story for the place they apparently have in it.

I can agree with your understanding of Oda's work as "Well-defined grand vision, little details filled in later", but that would mean Four Greats and Tenryubito would have to be "little details".

And hey, in some way, compared to the grand narratives of Adventure and Family - they are! :D

Oda did apprentice under Rurouni Kenshin author :). So don't view it so much as arrogance as following in his master's great footsteps.
Did not know that, makes sense in retrospect that Oda could have such confidence and vision.

just keep in mind that we're only around 4/5ths of the way through the main story. A lot of the larger plan will come to fruition in the next 7/8 years and we'll see a lot more of what Oda had set up at the start come full circle.
And while I agree shanks is currently more of a symbol than a character, that's simply because he's currently so out of reach of the main cast. Once Wano finishes I'm assuming Luffy's power levels will be high enough that he might be able to stand alongside Shanks (maybe eventually go toe to toe with him). Once that happens Oda will flesh out Shanks as a character.

If you want a better understanding of Oda's vision, he's been willing to talk about anything that's not a spoiler in creator's spot commentary sections. If you read through a few of them you'll get a better idea of what he had planned and what he didn't (although you run the risk of becoming an Oda simp lmao).

malMaxi said:
I disagree. Having Sasuke be the antithesis of everything the show stands for had the potential to create a strong narrative. It's obvious at what point Kishimoto reached the end of his main plan because the story takes a massive dive there. I am convinced Orochimaru was originally planned to be the main villain of the entire show, with the amount of screentime he gets and his attachment to the main characters. However Sasuke and Itachi were certainly set up from the very beginning. It's hard to see how much beyond OG Naruto was in his original vision, but I can confidently state that the main plan of the show finished directly after Naruto and Sasuke's duel. (Although the legendary sannin does feel like a bit of a last minute plan). The world building took an immediate dive. It also completely ignores the power scaling of the battle after the Chunin exams with Orochimaru and starts introducing villains who casually go beyond that in the first arc of shippuden (the Akatsuki).

Oh, it had potential to move the story to the next level, yes.
But the narrative already in place couldn't handle it, so it was a mistake.

Ultimately, Sasuke just sucks as an antithesis. He spends most of his time doing absolutely nothing. Simultaneously, Naruto is also completely stuck and is unable to move on. Cue several hundred episodes of filler :D

The show should have been over after the waterfall battle. And that waterfall battle should have properly happened at the end of kidnapping arc after the Chuunin exam. And in that battle, we should have seen Naruto and Sasuke making their decisions to live separate lives as adults.

At which point, the author would have been free to make his next grand plan for the next large portion of their lives, with Jiraya and the rest.

Instead, we get stuck in unresolved childhood issues both literally and metaphorically for another few hundred episodes, and well into Shipuuden.
I don't see how Sasuke couldn't have been a good antithesis to the main themes. Likely Kishimoto didn't know what he wanted to do with Sasuke and so he just kinda hung around in limbo as a vague goal and menacing threat for Naruto to interact with until Itachi's arc began in earnest.
The narrative already in place was fine, but Kishimoto clearly hadn't planned anything beyond that. After Rasengan Naruto learns no new jutsu. His tactics and personality stop changing whatsoever (although to an extent Naruto didn't have that much development in the OG series anyway).
The waterfall battle was where Naruto fell apart, however it was still somewhat entertaining on a surface level. The Pain arc was where Naruto ended. The stakes, the scale, and more importantly the personal threats and character development all peaked there (even though the world building died at the waterfall).

I personally liked the idea that at the end of Naruto, the two face off and Naruto fails, and then as the end of Shippuden, they rematch and Naruto wins, showing the increase in intelligence and maturity of Naruto throughout the show, and more importantly, paying off all his hard work and determination. And when you think about it, Naruto had so much room to grow. He was dumb, reckless, and impulsive. Why did he have to stay that way? If he became wiser, more intelligent, and less reckless, then it would have been so much more of a satisfying story. I'm currently watching Boruto (don't ask why) and Naruto still hasn't learnt new Justu, and is still just as dumb and immature as ever. Perhaps more offensive than Shippuden's one year timeskip, Boruto's 12 year timeskip also shows absolutely no changes whatsoever.

There was so much potential with the concepts of Shippuden, however it was ruined because Kishimoto lacked vision and planning for the future of Naruto. He had no idea what new Jutsu Naruto was going to learn, where he wanted Naruto to grow as a character, how to even pull off a satisfying romance between Naruto and Hinata, or what his plans for Sasuke were in the overall story.

malMaxi said:
while I would agree Bleach isn't particularly deep or insightful, that doesn't mean it didn't have some thorough planning involved. Just look at how the soul society arc was slowly built up with all these different mysterious side plots that climaxed in an epic confrontation where the truth was revealed and Aizen completely stole the show. It really does demonstrate that there was complex planning involved. And by the fact that the arrancar arc is basically a worse version of the soul society arc I suspect that Kubo was unable to adapt under pressure and relied mostly on those plans he had made.

You've gotta keep in mind all these mangakas really came to fame through their aforementioned works. They didn't know whether their manga was going to be popular or not, so there's an element of arrogance to making such long and grand plans, assuming you'll still be making manga by the time you get to complete those plans. I suspect that Kubo especially hadn't really planned for Bleach to become as big as it did - or at the very least not thoroughly enough.

I do not think Kubo, had a real plan. Rather, i think he just drew what he wanted to draw and followed the web of associations that his drawing style evoked. By Soul Society arc, that potential was exhausted (which we see in how repetitive and stale the art gets).

The difference between Kubo and Oda is that Kubo's story appears to me to be entirely visual (with themes following the visuals and arising from them), whereas Oda's story is in reverse - founded on themes that inform the visuals.

Obviously, as has been proven time and time again in history of art, themes are more resilient than visuals and are definitely a better foundation.

while I agree that Kubo probably didn't base Bleach off themes or ideas, I would disagree that he had no plan. From the beginning there were hints of what was to come. This can clearly be seen in how the soul society arc is fully formed and fleshed out, overall a pretty decent story. There are many smaller plots that naturally interweave themselves into one major plot climaxing with Rukia's execution service and Aizen's revelation.
Considering the fact that the formula for soul society was reused with the arrancar arc, that suggests to me that soul society must have been planned while the manga was in its infancy. Otherwise how else can you explain why Kubo was able to think up Soul Society on the fly, but not Arrancar? (at least without some evidence from Kubo himself).

What I think we can both agree here is that Bleach was missing a firm thematic foundation. The theme of friendship in anime is overused because it is so easy and requires little planning or vision. Kubo didn't have any real idea where he wanted Ichigo to grow and change as a character, or really any of the high school cast. The only real characters that grow and change are Byakuya and Renji, who are both fan favourites because of it.

malMaxi said:
While I would agree there's often something to be found even where something isn't intended - such as how The Room demonstrates to us how people with a poor ability to empathise can struggle to see how and why their marriages deteriorate, eventually being forced to conclude that their spouse must have been in some way a terrible person - I personally don't think that that defines a work's value. To me there is a difference between value and usefulness. The room is useful in the regard that it can help us understand in what ways not to screw up when you go about making a film, however that does not make it valuable. In the same way a shovel is useful it is not as valuable as a diamond. To me for a film/series to be valuable it has to be of impressive calibre and quality. There are many anime that I have personally enjoyed but not considered valuable because they lack in many aspects that would define an anime as valuable. There are many still that I do not consider valuable and hate, but find that they have proved useful in my growth and understanding of anime.
That's my opinion anyhow. I feel that animation and storytelling quality really is important. It's not just about flashy visuals, but a medium with which to convey ideas. A pristine sparkling medium is always going to be better than a filthy, dirt-ridden medium. No matter how good those ideas may be, there's not point in even telling them if they weren't conveyed with passion and integrity, using the best tools at one's disposal.

I am not sure i can relate to that. The only reason something like an industrial diamond is less valuable that jewelry diamond is because there are more of the former and less of the latter. However, an industrial diamond can be the single most precious thing in the world and you really need one and all you have are jewelry diamonds.

I appreciate that the metaphor is kinda weak, but i hope you can see my point :). Mundane doesn't mean less valuable. It does mean we all take that mundane value for granted, though.

Aside that philosophical point of value (and, frankly, to begin with), i'm not sure there is such a thing as "filty, dirt-ridden medium".

There is plenty of "filth" in music. Does it mean music is a filthy medium? Some of the best and most inspiring songs i heard are anime openings. Is that a filthy medium?

When you speak of the need for cleanliness, i understand that in terms of tools. Someone like surgeon definitely needs clean tools for a multitude of reasons.

I appreciate that you need clean tools for precision work in art, too. Musicians need to have precise control over their instruments (and "clean" those by tuning them). Artists need to do proper care of paintbrushes and the like. I will admit to not being not familiar of any such hygienic methods in writing, but i'm reasonably certain it has more to do with the kind of metaphors you use or something, not with whether you are writing a light novel.
This is where we will still continue to differ. It seems to me that you value the thematic meaning and ideas above all else, and the execution, characters and story are simply a means to that end, whereas I would say that the "cleanliness of the medium" is in itself an end. The quality of the storytelling is a massive deal because above all else the primary objective of a story is to entertain the viewer. Now sure you may find entertainment from intellectual stimulation, however the vast majority of people (myself included) watch anime and movies for other kinds of entertainment. Relatable characters, satisfying stories, new and interesting worlds. If you want to fairly criticise anime, then you have to criticise it from a perspective of what is considered desirable and entertaining traits.

I like profound anime as well. Anime with a strong and interesting thematic message are certainly more entertaining because of it. However to me it is the icing on top of the cake. It's better to have an entertaining well executed story with little thematic meaning than a boring, non-entertaining story with rich thematic meaning. I've seen enough crap lately. If I want to philosophise about something, I'll do it myself. I don't necessarily need an anime to provoke my already overthinking brain.

malMaxi said:
Now that i think of it, regarding Mahouka, employing the notion of incest seems to me rather ... unhygienic. If you mention other such hygienic problems Mahouka, it might actually be helpful.

In fact, at this junction i think it will actually be productive to go back to the set of criticism of Mahouka you posted previously and examine them under this lens of writing hygiene. That will be in my next post :D
I'll get into that one soon as well,
but right away when we consider "improving mahouka" generally what comes to mind is making it more like something we would enjoy. Whereas here it already has a label and a type of fan that enjoys it. This is why I expressed the idea that by changing the story, Mahouka will likely lose the appeal that it originally had.

I don't think you have to read many of the comments here to see that the incest is one of the major selling points of Mahouka. There's no getting around it, that is a firm aspect of its identity that couldn't be changed in a theoretical rework that is "improving" the series.

This is why it's taking me so long to make a post analysing Mahouka, because I'm not confident enough that I understand its true core appeal. I know for a fact that I watch it for a totally different reason to everyone else. I hope this helps you understand.

overall, cheers; sorry about the late post. I'm only two days away from the next episode releasing as well lmao, kind of rendering this jump to the episode 7 discussion somewhat futile.
Aug 29, 2021 1:31 AM
Jan 2019
theGodde said:
so funny story, I for some reason never got the notification for your latest post. For second I thought I saw it and forgot, but I checked and I was never sent a notification. Sad indeed. Luckily I got one for your latest post.

It might have been because i tried to reply in a thread for a later episode.
Well, no worries :)

I would agree hatred of a work on its own is not enough to properly judge it.
But I go about reconciling this with criticism in a slightly different manner. Both love and hate are based on your own expectations and what the work delivered to you. If you had incredibly low expectations and watched something great then you may love it irrationally. And if you have high expectation and watched an above average/mediocre work then you may hate it because it didn't live up to your expectations. In that way, a person's expectations are the key to deciphering their criticism and building up a picture of the inherent quality of a work.
I would say that it doesn't matter where you start as long as you are capable of separating the person's opinion into expectations + reality. It's especially useful in reviews where people give some context for how they were feeling beforehand. Pretending to be unbiased just makes it harder to filter out the actual bias. However I would agree that it is certainly harder to start from a point of hatred than a point of love. That has some exceptions. As an example, the early reviews for 86 on MAL were all super positive except for one or two. The positive ones literally said things like "I LOVE 86!!!!!!!!!" and nothing else - still ending up as one of the top reviews, whereas because the LN was so popular, haters were forced to write extensive essays in order to justify their (oftentimes) irrational hatred. I learnt more about 86 from the haters than the fans.

I would agree that people that dislike things usually go to greater extents to justify themselves than people that like things. Therefore, in a situation where people that like things are just generally "<3", people that dislike things offer more ideas and explanations.

Dislike is also definitely easier to engage with. It takes some actual work to get someone whose basic position is basically "<3" to express anything else, especially if you don't share the sentiment yourself.

So haters are definitely easier to engage with and therefore can be a more ready source of information. What i question is the usefulness of the kind of information people with negative outlook can reliably provide.

Once you get past the engagement hurdle, positive emotion tells you much more about what the work actually is. With negative emotion, the only thing you can tell with any certainty is what the work isn't, and can only arrive at some true conclusions about it through process of elimination (which, in the sea of infinite interpretations, is in itself kinda pointless).

For example, you can definitely tell that Mahouka is not a great romance :). However, i bet you don't <really> understand what exactly is so appealing about the relationship displayed :). I am reasonably certain that while people with a specific fetish are definitely part of the crowd, this is not the main appeal for overwhelming majority of viewers. F/ex i do actually like the concept of main duo relationship. It is a time-honored "conservative protector" vs "free-spirited princess" dynamic. I just think it could be executed better and relies on fetish as a crutch much more than it needs to.

I would say that being a perfectionist creator is really good during the creative process, because you will constantly push yourself to create the best possible work. Tolkien probably wouldn't have created such a timeless classic if he wasn't a perfectionist (he also would have probably created a lot more lmao). But I'll agree that it has consequences for when you're interacting with fans or evaluating your own work.

I don't have any strong notions on perfectionism :D. My own perfectionism has more hindered me than helped me, so i learned to kind of keep it suppressed. But that is most certainly a matter of personal style, not something i'd generalize for everyone.
What i do insist on is that perfectionism is fine and good, but you do need to sit down and test results in the form of an actual story (however small compared to grand vision). No LotR without Hobbit.

In terms of Mahouka itself, I would say there are planning issues beyond that. In my experience of Mahouka, what makes the main plot entertaining is that it is set up so that the opposing force is underestimating Tatsuya. They insult him, they talk down on him behind his back, and then during the main climax Tatsuya reveals some aspect of himself that shows them up and puts them in their place. It's often incredibly satisfying to watch because we the audience know Tatsuya's true strength, and so we get angry on his behalf when these side characters start criticising him.
The issue is that after a certain point he starts running out of people who underestimate him. Once he's put everyone in their place, there's no one for him to overcome - no more challenges for him to face. And so as the story continues to progress each time Tatsuya has more people on his side and more control over the situation. This to me demonstrates a lack of planning. Although perhaps this demonstrates the author prioritising their efforts setting up some stronger character and story that has yet to be animated.
But most certainly the execution is completely buggered.
If we consider this side series only, you can't even call it a story. This is more like watching a highlights role of the OG mahouka series with bits of mayuki shoved in. There is no thematic consistency, there isn't even any main character consistency, the story is essentially three different stories occurring at the same time - Tatsuya's story, Mayuiki's story, and Honoka's story, and they rarely ever intertwine in an organic way. Couple this with the fact that Tatsuya's story is barely coherent because it's just bits of the original story shoved in, Mayuki's story is inconsistent at best, with her often just being fanservicey or thinking about Tatsuya, or providing extra insight or commentary to events from the main series. Honoka is the only character here who has been fleshed out and given something resembling an arc. Looking back I will have to agree with you, the first episode is by far the only one so far that holds up as its own thing. The biggest problem here is that this series doesn't even deliver on its promise. This isn't about the Honour Student at Magic High School, this is still about Tatsuya, the Irregular.
To me it seems this series had no planning at all, they just followed the main story and then added some extra story and commentary and called it a day. There is so much that needed to be done here for this to even be considered barely competent. Mayuki needed an arc, and the entire story needed to be restructured around her so that it doesn't get sucked up into the vacuum of Tatsuya (although every single plot and aspect of mahouka comes back to Tatsuya. Is it even possible to write a parallel story from someone else's PoV?). I almost feel like instead of trying to fix it, someone should have asked why this spinoff even deserved to be made in the first place? I see nothing so far that justifies its existence.

Oh, the answer to that last question is definitely cash and ratings :D
You need to remember that we are going through a global pandemic crisis right now. While it is not really visible in internet forums, it has actual impact on real-life productions. It could have easily been that the amount of studios capable of producing work on time significantly shrunk, so they had to quickly hammer out a marketable product, artistic value be damned.

So yeah, i totally share your opinion that the current spinoff is more or less worthless and is little more than a pure cash-in on the property. I don't even see any reason to discuss on-going episodes any more. They are little more than "oh, Honoka's boobs got even bigger huh" and "yay, cliffhanger".

As for the dynamics of the original franchise itself, what really drives it forward for me is not so much the nature of opposition that Tatsuya faces, but rather the nature of his relationship with Miyuki that forces him to engage such opposition. The real antagonist of this series is the freedom-loving princess who keeps putting her protector on the spot, causing him to constantly go to even greater lengths for her sake..

The problem with Mahouka is how long it takes the series to actually sink its teeth into the real heart of the proceedings, which is the internal situation of the main duo's family. Basically, the entirely of adapted material up to this point doesn't even begin to touch on the main conflict, instead engaging in rather inept worldbuilding.

In some ways, the author uses an excuse of escalating external world threats as an excuse to delay getting to the interesting stuff. Which is why the threats appear so inept (and only function in the story at all as long as they show the friction between the main duo).

Did not know that, makes sense in retrospect that Oda could have such confidence and vision.

just keep in mind that we're only around 4/5ths of the way through the main story. A lot of the larger plan will come to fruition in the next 7/8 years and we'll see a lot more of what Oda had set up at the start come full circle.
And while I agree shanks is currently more of a symbol than a character, that's simply because he's currently so out of reach of the main cast. Once Wano finishes I'm assuming Luffy's power levels will be high enough that he might be able to stand alongside Shanks (maybe eventually go toe to toe with him). Once that happens Oda will flesh out Shanks as a character.

If you want a better understanding of Oda's vision, he's been willing to talk about anything that's not a spoiler in creator's spot commentary sections. If you read through a few of them you'll get a better idea of what he had planned and what he didn't (although you run the risk of becoming an Oda simp lmao).

I'll admit One Piece kinda lost me after the timeskip :(. The whole Haki thing kinda overburdened by own suspension of disbelief for the power system of the series. The way the crew got split up and then reassembled feels absolutely tacked on as well. In my own eyes, One Piece basically ruined its core aesthetic of "family".

I also kinda failed to parse what exactly compelled Mugiwaras to follow Trafalgar's lead. The fact that they did, however, also ruined the sense of "adventure" for me (because now it isn't an adventure, it is a political coup).

Good to hear it's still working for you, though :D. Maybe i'll catch up to it next time i'll have a week or so to marathon the series.

I don't see how Sasuke couldn't have been a good antithesis to the main themes. Likely Kishimoto didn't know what he wanted to do with Sasuke and so he just kinda hung around in limbo as a vague goal and menacing threat for Naruto to interact with until Itachi's arc began in earnest.
The narrative already in place was fine, but Kishimoto clearly hadn't planned anything beyond that. After Rasengan Naruto learns no new jutsu. His tactics and personality stop changing whatsoever (although to an extent Naruto didn't have that much development in the OG series anyway).
The waterfall battle was where Naruto fell apart, however it was still somewhat entertaining on a surface level. The Pain arc was where Naruto ended. The stakes, the scale, and more importantly the personal threats and character development all peaked there (even though the world building died at the waterfall).

I personally liked the idea that at the end of Naruto, the two face off and Naruto fails, and then as the end of Shippuden, they rematch and Naruto wins, showing the increase in intelligence and maturity of Naruto throughout the show, and more importantly, paying off all his hard work and determination. And when you think about it, Naruto had so much room to grow. He was dumb, reckless, and impulsive. Why did he have to stay that way? If he became wiser, more intelligent, and less reckless, then it would have been so much more of a satisfying story. I'm currently watching Boruto (don't ask why) and Naruto still hasn't learnt new Justu, and is still just as dumb and immature as ever. Perhaps more offensive than Shippuden's one year timeskip, Boruto's 12 year timeskip also shows absolutely no changes whatsoever.

I also like the fail/success at the waterfall bookending :D. The problem is not that Naruto fails.

The problem is that Naruto's whole motivation at that point was "be Sasuke", with "be Hokage" being completely put aside. Naruto, by that point, spent more than two cours of episodes basically doing nothing but refusing Sasuke's rejections (which, ultimately, led to Sasuke escaping, which IMO was a stroke of genius). Naruto doesn't even notice when Konoha itself accepts him, in the form of all Konoha's kids following him into pursuit of Sasuke. He is basically Hokage at that point, but that doesn't matter to him anymore. Naruto is forever trapped in pursuit of Sasuke and is no longer able to take "no" for an answer. In some ways, he is no longer a free agent. What can he even do other than be in limbo after Sasuke leaves? And how can Sasuke even be a meaningful antagonist to that? Naruto is not even capable of feeling his antagonism anymore.

Well, i don't disagree that this can be viewed as a planning problem. In fact, this is actually a rather good example of a planning problem. The author lost sight of his original plan, which got subverted by what i can only see as a great audience reaction to Naruto/Sasuke relationship.

while I agree that Kubo probably didn't base Bleach off themes or ideas, I would disagree that he had no plan. From the beginning there were hints of what was to come. This can clearly be seen in how the soul society arc is fully formed and fleshed out, overall a pretty decent story. There are many smaller plots that naturally interweave themselves into one major plot climaxing with Rukia's execution service and Aizen's revelation.
Considering the fact that the formula for soul society was reused with the arrancar arc, that suggests to me that soul society must have been planned while the manga was in its infancy. Otherwise how else can you explain why Kubo was able to think up Soul Society on the fly, but not Arrancar? (at least without some evidence from Kubo himself).

What I think we can both agree here is that Bleach was missing a firm thematic foundation. The theme of friendship in anime is overused because it is so easy and requires little planning or vision. Kubo didn't have any real idea where he wanted Ichigo to grow and change as a character, or really any of the high school cast. The only real characters that grow and change are Byakuya and Renji, who are both fan favourites because of it.

Explaining why (i think) Kubo couldn't handle Arrankar s actually quite simple. While Kubo's style began as this unconstrained flourishing of teenage street art / fashion, Kubo himself chose to constrain that style with all the white kimonos and general white walls of Soul Society arc. This actually worked great because of the sheer artistic tension between the two things: there is nothing more natural for teenage hero than to tear down the white walls of traditionalism around him. Also, the contradiction between the white traditionalism of Soul Society visuals and individual personalities of the captains worked extremely well.

However, Kubo couldn't find a proper evolution to his art style in the Arrancar ark. White walls changed to white landscapes, but it didn't really change anything. White kimonos became an even stricter white chitin-like carapaces, but that also changed little. Kubo is now starving for new ideas and begins, artistically speaking, retreading old ground. This is a weakness of visual artistic vision compared to thematic vision. Thematic vision gets stronger on retread, while artistic vision wears thin. Arrancar are less compelling than the Captains and, ultimately, the whole arc is less compelling than Soul Society.

It isn't like it was completely hopeless: there were some individual shots of Aizen appearing downright sinister and definitely unlike anything Bleach had before. However, Arrancar show off none of that sinister appeal. It is one thing to imply that the characters you are dealing now are death itself and it is completely another to actually paint a convincing image. I think Kubo recognized the pathos of what he aimed at, but ultimately couldn't find the proper artistic language.

Well, he might find it one day. He certainly has the talent for it :)

This is where we will still continue to differ. It seems to me that you value the thematic meaning and ideas above all else, and the execution, characters and story are simply a means to that end, whereas I would say that the "cleanliness of the medium" is in itself an end. The quality of the storytelling is a massive deal because above all else the primary objective of a story is to entertain the viewer. Now sure you may find entertainment from intellectual stimulation, however the vast majority of people (myself included) watch anime and movies for other kinds of entertainment. Relatable characters, satisfying stories, new and interesting worlds. If you want to fairly criticise anime, then you have to criticise it from a perspective of what is considered desirable and entertaining traits.

I like profound anime as well. Anime with a strong and interesting thematic message are certainly more entertaining because of it. However to me it is the icing on top of the cake. It's better to have an entertaining well executed story with little thematic meaning than a boring, non-entertaining story with rich thematic meaning. I've seen enough crap lately. If I want to philosophise about something, I'll do it myself. I don't necessarily need an anime to provoke my already overthinking brain.

I find that entertaining and well executed stories can't help but have thematic meanings, even if these go over the head of the immediate viewer.
I definitely didn't think "nice youth vs death conflict" when watching early Bleach. It was entertaining and well executed :D. However, what made it entertaining and well executed in my eyes is that it was speaking to that fundamental aesthetic that i share.

I'll get into that one soon as well,
but right away when we consider "improving mahouka" generally what comes to mind is making it more like something we would enjoy. Whereas here it already has a label and a type of fan that enjoys it. This is why I expressed the idea that by changing the story, Mahouka will likely lose the appeal that it originally had.

I don't think you have to read many of the comments here to see that the incest is one of the major selling points of Mahouka. There's no getting around it, that is a firm aspect of its identity that couldn't be changed in a theoretical rework that is "improving" the series.

This is why it's taking me so long to make a post analysing Mahouka, because I'm not confident enough that I understand its true core appeal. I know for a fact that I watch it for a totally different reason to everyone else. I hope this helps you understand.

Lol, i keep asking you about YOUR reasons :). We can get to the objective truth later (if at all). In fact, getting to objective truth requires having well-defined personal viewpoints to begin with, so by delaying a proper definition of what YOU like you are not doing anyone any favours :)

overall, cheers; sorry about the late post. I'm only two days away from the next episode releasing as well lmao, kind of rendering this jump to the episode 7 discussion somewhat futile.

Well, it's ep 9 now :D.
If anything interesting happens there, i'm sure it'll come up.
Sep 3, 2021 11:54 PM

Dec 2016

That must've been really embarrassing 😂
Tatsuya's reaction just made it more funny XD
Apr 27, 2022 12:14 PM

Mar 2019
Just give me that Monolith game.

Still not fond of Airi, even if she defended Mari and the other girl from her 2 teammates. Happy to see Shizuku win and that annoying girl lose, now you might be able to respect the many people that are better than you.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Nov 30, 2022 11:40 AM

Apr 2013
Ah yes, I forgot about that... even if one of the girls manages to win, of course it's only because of onii-sama's greatness.
Aug 20, 2023 4:43 PM

Nov 2010
This spin-off made the NSC arc interesting compared to the main series. That was a close fight!
Toko is very cute! I would tap her!
Good fanservice, and Honoka's daydream was funny!

The melodrama within the Third High camp is interesting. It sucks for them that there's nothing they can do to win against First High, thanks to their Gary Stu engineer, but it's not as bad since he's a side character here. He's like the secret boss that they have to beat.
Nov 1, 2023 7:38 AM
Apr 2023
I'm gonna be honest, I had no idea what they were talking about with the homemade gun stuff, or where it suddenly came from, but 99 > 9 so they won I guess 👀

More topics from this board

» Should I skip this or it's canon

Yeshaiah2015yesh - Apr 8

11 by Dr_Harem_VII »»
Apr 12, 9:18 AM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Yuutousei Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2021

39 by MiaAyende »»
Mar 10, 11:32 PM

» What does this cover ? No Spoilers

xnub - Aug 24, 2023

7 by baymaxemon »»
Jan 8, 11:55 AM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Yuutousei Episode 13 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2021

38 by MizuhoKamui »»
Aug 21, 2023 9:21 AM

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Yuutousei Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2021

26 by MizuhoKamui »»
Aug 21, 2023 8:23 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.