Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]
Jul 12, 2023 12:49 AM
Jun 2023
Jul 18, 2023 4:48 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Ten years after I started my journey with the original series and left finishing 3.33, and now with a proper BD release for this movie, it was finally the time to get this over with.

I m glad I went with no exceptations, I just wanted to have a fun time and I loved the movie, not nearly as much as EoE, but way more than 3.33 or any other previous rebuild movies, thought 2.22 came close.
The pacing felt great to me in the first half, I liked how it took its time outside the action to build Shinji again, and it was interesting to see "other Rei" discovering being an human being and it was sad to see that outcome, well done IMO.

I m okay with the later half of the movie, it is mostly just a retelling of some core EoE narrative, and I m okay with that because I had zero expectations for this movie, since it took too long to be out!!!
It is sucessfull in taking the direction of EoE and delivering a more concrete and digestible conclusion, but it is not covering new ground because EoE did the same plot while being more artistic and impactful about it (also EoE ending is just great way to end).

This movie is about showing the kids that truly grown up and moved on, it was interesting to see both Asuka and Shinji admitting there were some feelings between them in 2.22 but that too long has passed, and to me it felt okay for Mari to end with Shinji, thought my original ship was him and Asuka (and EoE ending delivered it perfectly with its final message), this fitted as more streamlined conclusion for the series, but Asuka suddently ending with that dude just felt random, suddently he is there for her, felt forced, would have been better for her to just find some closure without forced romance (but whatever)...

I rewatched the first 3 movies before this but even that was not enough to recall all the trivia and deeper knowlegde I had from the early days I fully dwelve on the series, but since the rebuild movies are meant to take that plot and streamline it, I understood most of it just from finishing this movie and rewatching the others, but I plan to watch some deeper lore videos again just to relive this series deeper details, which I rather enjoyed back in the day.

Anyway, the rebuild series was not needed and this movie proves it, and I meant that in the sense that this rebuild is just picking up the original plot and streamlining it, modernizing here and there.
As a fan it was not essential to watch this, but extremely enjoyable despite that, to finish this movie, as for new comers, the rebuild movies really are the most digestable way to get familiar with the series.

There were quite some vocal people here when this movie first released, full of negativity about the Asaka and Shinji conclusion and some other details I dont recall but in the end it was just blind hating, great movie, that is not worth 10y of waiting but will provide a good closure for the Tetralogy.
OST this time seemed to have less tracks I enjoyed, but I will have to listen to it fully to make a better judgement, also I dont dislike a later half with less action and more character exposition, but I m not a fan of the better action sequences being early on in the movie and the movie conclusion lacking an EPIC memorable final fight.

9.3/10 = 9

UnknownGhost5 said:
A pretty good ending for the Rebuild movies. My only problem with it is that Shinji ended up with Mari, but whatever I guess. Honestly I feel like the movies would have been better if they weren't a part of the Evangelion franchise. But because they were I had very high expectations that weren't exactly met. Overall 7/10.

It is as you said, you had very high expectations and that affected your enjoyment with the movie, to me this movie lost any hyped to it after waiting 4-6 years.
PlaycoolJul 18, 2023 4:52 PM
Jul 18, 2023 11:27 PM
Aug 2021
Playcool said:
I dont recall but in the end it was just blind hating
About blind hatred says the one who watched the movie with his eyes closed. It's downright hilarious.
Jul 20, 2023 1:26 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Najdv2 said:
Playcool said:
I dont recall but in the end it was just blind hating
About blind hatred says the one who watched the movie with his eyes closed. It's downright hilarious.
It seems like you are talking yourself to a mirror, but with such attitude, it would be pointless to argue with you.

So I m not even gonna bother to reply to what you said unless you want to have a proper talk. 

The truth is this movie received tons of blind hate early on when leaks were out from the movie on Japanese cinemas, of outcome and all, and I recall tons of people disliking and downvoting the movie tons, probably bots also, and doing this without seeing a movie is pointless because you need CONTEXT, to see for yourself (exactly what they were not doing then).
It ended up being a great movie by itself, but still a far cry from how innovative or impactful EoE was.

Considering the series was left hanging after shitty 3.33, in a way this movie needed to execute to clear that out, and at least it certainly gave full closure.

And if we get more milking of the franchise one day, hopefully, it will be something completely new and original, and not a retelling that at the end is going with the same plot and vision (albeit with a happier and less open ending conclusion), despite Anno saying that these rebuild movies exist cuz even with EoE, he could not fully realize his early vision.
Jul 20, 2023 11:57 PM
Aug 2021

Playcool said:
It seems like you are talking yourself to a mirror, but with such attitude, it would be pointless to argue with you.
So I m not even gonna bother to reply to what you said unless you want to have a proper talk.

I'm talking about you based on the nonsense that you wrote in your message.
Playcool said:
This movie is about showing the kids that truly grown up and moved on

This is a fable made up by fans who didn't even bother to think about the events of the movie for a few minutes. Who has grown up and moved on? Mari? In the end, she is exactly the same as she was. Gendo? He killed an unthinkable number of people, condemned his own son to suffering, ruined Asuka's life, etc. And at the very end, as a result, he did not bear any responsibility for his actions, but on the contrary, he got exactly what he wanted. Are you trying to say that this is adult morality and moving forward?

And Shinji? People survived for 14 years, fought, saved each other, tried to build at least some acceptable life. And then Shinji returned and in 10 minutes, due to his selfish desire, he magically fixed everything. Without any effort, just at the click of a finger. He decided everything for all other people based on his desires and his egoism. This is not even close to adult behavior. There is nothing mature here.

Asuka. For 14 years, she could not forget Shinji, who was the most important person in her life. And the scene on the beach is direct evidence that her feelings have not gone anywhere. But Shinji decides for her how she should live now. A world without Evangelions, welcome! But Asuka didn't know any other life than to pilot an Eva! This was her only occupation and purpose in life. She knew no other life. But Shinji is too selfish to talk to Asuka, too selfish to listen to her. He doesn't even let her say a word before sending her back to the village. Is this adult behavior?

And I can describe these ridiculous plot twists and holes all day long. There was no growth or movement forward. It was just another easy attempt to fix things and eventually evade responsibility.
Playcool said:
and to me it felt okay for Mari to end with Shinji
Playcool said:
but Asuka suddently ending with that dude just felt random, suddently he is there for her, felt forced, would have been better for her to just find some closure without forced romance (but whatever)...
Yes, felt forced. Only this is forced precisely by inattentive fans who compose ridiculous stories about characters. Asuka has no romantic relationship with anyone other than Shinji. All her romantic feelings were directed exclusively at him. Even after 14 years of his absence, which speaks of how strong her feelings are. And the scene at the station between Mari and Shinji can be interpreted in any way, given that Mari was even more cheeky with Asuka on the Wunder. It's just how Mari behaves with other people.

But you and people like you are trying to pass off your fantasies as facts, which will naturally cause rejection and hostility, because no one writes so many nonsense about Eva's heroes than Eva's fans themselves.
Najdv2Jul 21, 2023 12:17 AM
Jul 24, 2023 4:04 PM
Oct 2021
This is easily one of the most unique experiences I've had watching a film. It's not perfect, but you can really tell that it doesn't try to be. It excels at being what it is. I'm blown away honestly, I didn't expect it to be as impactful as it was. This really feels like a great culmination of the series messages and an amazing conclusion to the series. Wow.
Jul 28, 2023 9:18 AM
Feb 2019
complex... But I think I got the point.
Aug 4, 2023 4:24 AM

Feb 2018
Just finished BD Version today, and yahh it was great movie... Why Shinji father doing all these. And also Maki ended up with Shinjhi? last scene????

Where's my Asuka?
Aug 9, 2023 7:40 PM
Jul 2016
Probably the best piece of animation overall I have ever seen. The best conclusion to my favorite anime ever, if you are thinking of watching the show and the movies, please do.
Aug 19, 2023 6:32 PM
May 2022
I just want to come off by saying I am deathly afraid of Evangelion.
Hard as it is to believe, I have animephobia. 
I am currently looking for someone to help me overcome my fear of Evangelion, my fear of anime. 
If you want to know why, please read the following. It is a detailed essay detailing my traumatic experience from the Evangelion fandom during Lockdown. 
https://docs.google.com/document/d/12E5xdOOtUa4Nlh1OizVapCHn6St9olV0PUi1LV6Dm_U/edit?usp=sharing
Sep 2, 2023 4:36 PM

Jan 2021
The worst movie I've seen in my entire life.
Sep 15, 2023 7:58 PM
Jul 2020
annon needs to be depressesed
Oct 6, 2023 4:14 PM
Sep 2016
As the average IQ on the planet increases, the average rating of this movie will go down...
Oct 17, 2023 1:35 AM
Oct 2015
This is how you say good bye.
Oct 18, 2023 2:37 AM
Jan 2021
WHAT ABOUT ASUKA NOOO
Nov 8, 2023 10:18 AM

Nov 2014
Hope Anno never works again. The whole Rebuild project feels like a concerted effort to desecrate the Evangelion name so badly that no one can take it seriously going forward. They took great care to rape every single character, image, music track and sound effect from the original, by associating them all with this monstrosity. I don't know what sustains Anno's seemingly endless spite for his own creation, but he seems to be more profoundly insecure now than he ever was in the 90s, and he should have been sent to a therapist rather than allowed to express his incoherent bitterness through these films.
Nov 16, 2023 6:07 AM

Jul 2022
After a long time, I finally watched this movie.
Took a long break "after the 3rd movie)
Great movie, but even though I hate Shinji, I did hoped Asuka would be with him.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie.
Nov 27, 2023 2:48 PM

Apr 2019
That was simply breathtaking. Would’ve been absolutely crazy to’ve seen that in theatres, but I suppose 2 years later and on a 14 hr flight to Taiwan also works.

Really glad that Touji, Kensuke, and Hikari didn’t die during the near third impact. Also let’s go, Touji and Hikari got married and have a kid! Loved that so much.
I could honestly not be happier with how this movie wrapped up the rebuild series. And that ending was straight crazy, Shinji saving Asuka and Rei while staying in the anti-universe waiting for Mari to come for him. Also, seeing the two grown up living a normal life made for a very fitting end to the film.

With that being said, bye-bye, all of Evangelion.

Update: The melancholy feeling of finishing an anime is hitting especially hard for this series.
arcticmontysNov 27, 2023 9:13 PM
Jan 3, 9:17 AM
Apr 2015
this movie was so bad and i'm astonished at its score.

the last half hour or so was basically 'oh, no! we're fucked! nm, i have a macguffin! oh, no - they have a new macguffin! we're fucked! nm, here's another macguffin!'... about once/minute. it was atrocious, as if it was written by a 7 year old. the plot was somehow stupidly thin and yet convoluted. each of these macguffins were meant to be major developments, but about 35 of them happened in a half hour, so nothing could be taken seriously and some deus ex macguffin would appear because billy, age 7, wrote it that ineptly.

Jan 19, 8:03 AM

Sep 2018
Pretty nice seeing gendo in a positive light. Shinji growing up was pretty cool, and the Mari end caught me by surprise. I thought it was a cute couple. Probably a less toxic relationship than with Asuka which I kind of expected. Rei was pretty great this movie. I wanted to see more of the afterstory, but this movie was pretty stellar. 8/10 from me.
Jan 28, 8:52 PM

May 2020
I enjoyed this movie the most of all the Rebuilds but not as much as End of Evangelion.

I really liked how this movie dealt with finding your own identity and moving beyond the past as demonstrated best through Shinji and Ms. Lookalike aka the clone Rei.

The music was another strong point of the movie.

My main gripes are the CGI Evas, and I still dislike how Mari barely feels like a character but more like a plot device.
Jan 31, 5:10 AM
Jan 2021
This one's far better than 'End of Evangelion' but kinda dissapointed that Shinji didn't end up with Asuka ):
Shinji x Marie makes no sense at all! (Don't tell me Asuka ended up with Kensuke :/)
Feb 1, 9:04 PM

Dec 2022
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much CGI in the first nearly 2 hours of the movie. plus it amounted to a whole lot of flashy battle fluff. And don't get me wrong, flashy battle fluff is fine... but not when it's CGI. this ain't a Pixar movie I mean damn what happened to anime man?
that being said, last 40 minutes or so was really really good, maybe even really great, possibly amazing.
really wish this movie had been another hour and a halfer, two hours at most, and like, a LITTLE bit more actual animation would have been possible then? then I'd have said I loved it. sadly it was just kind of a snore to get through until the fantastic finale. but yeah, finale was fantastic for sure.
Feb 4, 9:15 AM

Feb 2019
so it's the end. All the girls are dead except Mari.
Based Certified.
I love anime armpits.
Feb 16, 9:23 PM
Oct 2020
que buena mierda, es cine
Feb 26, 8:11 AM
Jan 2013
Reply to Based_Department
so it's the end. All the girls are dead except Mari.
@Based_Department What? Rei 1 and Asuka never died.
Apr 8, 4:57 PM

May 2015
Please, more slice-of-life, less mindless action. The first hour of this was golden! Enjoyed it a lot. Another Ayanami was very cute and precious. The collection of sad Shinji shots was amusing as well. I mean, in a good-natured way. I'd love to give him a hug, that's all.

Explaining of the major points was done well enough, okay, fine, I can finally see the picture behind all those important dudes and their Big Plans and Magic Spears. Too much too long too boring battles though.

The conversation with Father is something Shinji deserved, although I can't bring myself to sympathize with Gendou as a character at all. He's still the worst father. But his realization about finding Yui in Shinji was beautiful and so obvious, I'd almost pity him, if I didn't despise him.

As someone who experienced the manga first and preferred manga ending over EoE, I appreciate this ending. The movie gave more exposition and build-up for that version, although I'm not sure it was better done this way. Maybe some things better left not spelled out remaining for the interpretation...

Mari is the character I don't understand at all or her significance... like, at all.

Considering, this is a continuation of the 3d movie, which I didn't like as much, this was overall a better experience. More coherent storytelling and deeper dive into characters' psyche, something I had a complaint about in the previous movie. The character development was done well, especially for Shinji. He really grew so much. I'm proud of him.

All in all, I think these rebuild movies are a good way to strip Eva of its untouchable mysterious (pretentious) image... like it's some high standard philosophical piece of art that no mere mortal is able to comprehend. It lacks the complexity of original but it's straightforward in delivering its major ideas and concepts, and more approachable. As a version of a version within a version (for additional impact, lol) it surely has the right to exist, providing more background and motivation to certain aspects. As a separate thing... weeeell, it's pretty entertaining but hardly a masterpiece material.

TenApr 8, 5:00 PM
Apr 19, 10:55 PM
Jan 2021
Un cierre perfecto para mi anime favorito.
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]

More topics from this board

Poll: » time loop or multiverse?

deg - Mar 19

11 by Bkm1995 »»
Mar 20, 9:16 PM

» Shinji's Jersey from EVA STORE

hohofish - Apr 15, 2021

1 by 1016jersey »»
Mar 15, 12:03 PM

» Shin Evangelion Movie: II???? Why change the title now?

Cestlavie_ - Nov 25, 2023

10 by Lucifrost »»
Feb 6, 8:40 AM

» Employee recruitment for the production of 3.0+1.0.

zacky1312 - May 23, 2018

2 by simeji8043 »»
Jan 22, 1:02 AM

Poll: » End of Eva vs Thrice Upon a Time

Draconix814 - Aug 18, 2021

47 by rohan121 »»
Jan 19, 8:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.