Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 10, 2021 5:24 AM

Jun 2020
karimesayonara said:
It's just not for everyone. I looove It, but I understand why some people wouldn't. My kind of animes have a lot of psychology topics and symbolism. Maybe that's why one person said it's "elitist". It is kind of a brainer. Maybe of you watch an analysis un YouTube or something it would help. But if you didn't like it the first time, why bother.

Yeah I watched an analysis yesterday and that helped me understand, maybe a rewatch would allow me to enjoy it now I kind of ubderstand the 'symbolism' as you mentioned
Aug 10, 2021 4:06 PM

Feb 2021
I watched it recently and felt like you when I finished it. After that I looked up some analysis of the anime and made me appreciate it a lot more.
I think it's a very personal piece from its author and I kind of like that. For me, the appeal comes not from the plot itself (there's not much plot either way lol) but the fact that all the nonsense you see on screen might have a deeper meaning or might not, and it's up to you to choose what interpretation you like the most.
Aug 10, 2021 4:20 PM

Jun 2020
Gathorr said:
I watched it recently and felt like you when I finished it. After that I looked up some analysis of the anime and made me appreciate it a lot more.
I think it's a very personal piece from its author and I kind of like that. For me, the appeal comes not from the plot itself (there's not much plot either way lol) but the fact that all the nonsense you see on screen might have a deeper meaning or might not, and it's up to you to choose what interpretation you like the most.

Thanks for the help, I looked up an analysis yesterday and it allowed me to understand the symbolism especially with the 'horns' and stuff. Yeah I also watched Akidearest's video on the show and she also helped me understand the personal aspects of the show such as the curry only being eaten by the extroverted characters. It really helped change my views on the show and I'm planning on rewatching it when I get a chance. Thank you again for your help!
Aug 10, 2021 4:25 PM

Jun 2020
@Gathorr if you already read my reply then appologies, I meant 'I'm planning on', not "I'm not planning on".
Aug 11, 2021 2:24 AM

Feb 2021
C4llum said:
@Gathorr if you already read my reply then appologies, I meant 'I'm planning on', not "I'm not planning on".

Oh haha no worries. I'm glad you could get something out of it :)
Aug 11, 2021 5:24 AM

Jun 2020
Gathorr said:
C4llum said:

Oh haha no worries. I'm glad you could get something out of it :)

Haha I'm glad too lol. Thank you and thanks for the friend request :)
Aug 11, 2021 5:26 AM
Jul 2018
If you badly want to re-watch it then go for it. But I don't think there's any changes on your perspective after re-watching it.
Aug 11, 2021 5:28 AM

Jun 2020
BoyBegtu said:
If you badly want to re-watch it then go for it. But I don't think there's any changes on your perspective after re-watching it.

Ok, thanks for the help!
Aug 11, 2021 6:20 AM

Jun 2015
I've watched FLCL 2-3 times. The first one was on TV when I was a kid around 15 years ago. Second one was a rewatch I'm not even sure if I finished around 6 years ago. Back then I probably couldn't get into its wacky nature, but that's probably a given since to this day I'm not too much into that style in the first place (you seemingly haven't watched anime like that either, closest thing in tone in your list would be some parts of Devilman Crybaby). If you ever feel like trying, you can check things like Aachi wa Ssipak, Dead Leaves or Kemonozume to see what wackiness stands for. Outlandish settings/storylines with varying degrees of rather cartoony artwork and an emphasis on animation itself would probably be a good way to try to define such titles. The main issue you can argue is them being a hit-or-miss in terms of making you interested in what is going on in the first place, since the things happening on screen might appear to be borderline random in many occasions, and they take such liberties frequently.

Nonetheless some time after I rewatched FLCL again and it clicked. Main thing that got me interested into giving it another chance was simply liking the character designs, since I watched more things from the studio/creators that made it. Having something like that to get some genuine interest in something is sometimes enough for you to be able to appreciate what it has to offer in general, and this time I found the comedy funnier, catched way more of its references and in general enjoyed how well put together it is. At this point I wouldn't have trouble considering it one of the best OVAs ever made.

But back to your question, should you rewatch it / would you get anything different from doing so? Probably. But at the same time I wouldn't particularly recommend it if you don't do it out of your own volition and have some reasonable suspicion you can get something out of it in the first place. Because no matter how good something is, with the right mindset everything can look like garbage.
Aug 11, 2021 6:27 AM

Jun 2020
Unowen said:
I've watched FLCL 2-3 times. The first one was on TV when I was a kid around 15 years ago. Second one was a rewatch I'm not even sure if I finished around 6 years ago. Back then I probably couldn't get into its wacky nature, but that's probably a given since I'm not too much into that style in the first place (you seemingly haven't watched anime like that either, closest thing in tone in your list would be some parts of Devilman Crybaby). If you ever feel like trying, you can check things like Aachi wa Ssipak, Dead Leaves or Kemonozume to see what wackiness stands for. Outlandish settings/storylines with varying degrees of rather cartoony artwork and an emphasis on animation itself would probably be a good way to try to define such titles. The main issue you can argue is them being a hit-or-miss in terms of making you interested in what is going on in the first place, since the things happening on screen might appear to be borderline random in many occasions, and they take such liberties frequently.

Nonetheless some time after I rewatched FLCL again and it clicked. Main thing that got me interested into giving it another chance was simply liking the character designs, since I watched more things from the studio/creators that made it. Having something like that to get some genuine interest in something is sometimes enough for you to be able to appreciate what it has to offer in general, and this time I found the comedy funnier, catched way more of its references and in general enjoyed how well put together it is. At this point I wouldn't have trouble considering it one of the best OVAs ever made.

But back to your question, should you rewatch it / would you get anything different from doing so? Probably. But at the same time I wouldn't particularly recommend it if you don't do it out of your own volition and have some reasonable suspicion you can get something out of it in the first place. Because no matter how good something is, with the right mindset everything can look like garbage.

Thanks for your help! I tend to get that alot seen as my list is so small, I've been watching anime for around 6 years or so. I watched my first anime and then didn't watch another for 2 years or so then I finally decided to watch some more. I fell in love with it from there and have been a huge fan since I guess I was just extremely slow to watch shows as my list would back that up lol. I understand wgat you mean though, the show is really 'wacky' if you will. I watched 2 analysis videos a couple of days ago and that helped me understand the symbolism and personal aspects of the show that I would've never picked up when I first watched the show. I'll check the shows you mentioned out too, thank you for your help. Appreciate it!
Aug 11, 2021 6:42 AM

Jun 2015
C4llum said:

Thanks for your help! I tend to get that alot seen as my list is so small, I've been watching anime for around 6 years or so. I watched my first anime and then didn't watch another for 2 years or so then I finally decided to watch some more. I fell in love with it from there and have been a huge fan since I guess I was just extremely slow to watch shows as my list would back that up lol. I understand wgat you mean though, the show is really 'wacky' if you will. I watched 2 analysis videos a couple of days ago and that helped me understand the symbolism and personal aspects of the show that I would've never picked up when I first watched the show. I'll check the shows you mentioned out too, thank you for your help. Appreciate it!
You're welcome! Just to clarify a bit more what I meant with my last sentence, mindset stands for 2 things:

- The first one is when someone seems a bit overly cynical, as in they criticise a title like this for not having a deep storyline, when it's not what it's even attempting in the first place. Sometimes this might be a result of inexperience, or even burnout, since at some point even even by looking at the cover art of something you can have some suspicion on what to expect to the point you can't be that much disappointed with how it turns out.

- The second one has less to do with that and it's more about how we enjoy media in general. So even if you voluntarily want to give everything a fair chance, there's no helping it on the fact we all have our preferences and things we like more or less. Which is why I doubt I would have enjoyed FLCL much more with a fair rewatch 6 years ago. Which is also why I appreciate FLCL even further today considering it still has elements I normally don't like.

Getting a third opinion like you did with the analysis videos might help sometimes to get some quicker different insight though, but it's not something I've forced myself to do much, instead tried to reach that point by myself naturally, which is in a way more rewarding. After all there's no need to delve too much into a single title.
UnowenAug 11, 2021 6:46 AM
Aug 11, 2021 6:53 AM

Jun 2020
Unowen said:
C4llum said:

You're welcome! Just to clarify a bit more what I meant with my last sentence, mindset stands for 2 things:

- The first one is when someone seems a bit overly cynical, as in they criticise a title like this for not having a deep storyline, when it's not what it's even attempting in the first place. Sometimes this might be a result of inexperience, or even burnout, since at some point even even by looking at the cover art of something you can have some suspicion on what to expect to the point you can't be that much disappointed with how it turns out.

- The second one has less to do with that and it's more about how we enjoy media in general. So even if you voluntarily want to give everything a fair chance, there's no helping it on the fact we all have our preferences and things we like more or less. Which is why I doubt I would have enjoyed FLCL much more with a fair rewatch 6 years ago. Which is also why I appreciate FLCL even further today considering it still has elements I normally don't like.
Ahh I see, that makes alot of sense. I understand what you mean haha.

With your second point, that's quite smart tbh lol. I would've never seen it that way so thanks for pointing that out. I guess even without a total understanding of the symbolism and the other sort of 'hidden' aspects of the show you have to appreciate the personal aspects and the thought that went into the show no matter what.
Aug 20, 2021 8:47 AM

May 2021
C4llum said:
So I watched FLCL a few months ago and I didn't really understand the storyline, that's if there is one. It just felt like a bunch of random clips pieced together. I didn't understand anything that was hapening and the only thing that I can remember are random horns appearing on Naota's head due to the fact he was smacked in the head with a guitar many times throughout the show, I don't get it? Why do people love this show so much? Should I rewatch it and see if something clicks?

This might help. Try go into it and expect it to just be nonsense. FLCL has a core theme of growing up, but its more interested in just being nonsensical fun. If that doesn’t click with you then its totally fine!
Aug 26, 2021 10:13 PM

Dec 2007
This is probably the only anime I can think of where I watched it all in one sitting, then immediately after finishing it I started it up again and watched it all the way through. I liked it the first time, loved it the second time and I've watched it like 2 more times since and it only grew on me. Not sure quite how well it's aged at this point, but it's one of the very few series I gave a 10 too.

As people have stated it's more or less your basic, coming of age story, but with an completely absurd wrapping. So don't try to get too hung up on what's really going and if you're missing something. It's about a boy growing up. Personally I liked it because I found the more mundane premise told in this over the top style appealing. Plus the animation and music are incredible.
Sep 4, 2021 5:45 PM

Jul 2019
Ewmanga said:
No. It's really bad and overrated. You shouldn't re-watch it

I love your profile
Sep 14, 2021 8:31 PM
Mar 2021
Tekainu said:
It’s nothing special, it’s just an elitist anime.
define elitist anime 🥸
Sep 19, 2021 6:17 PM
Jan 2021
Maybe you should give it another shot. It’s very here nor there wether or not you like it. Some people love it some people hate it. I personally love FLCL now but at first I didn’t. I thought it just had a nonsensical story line that was badly put together. Little did I know that wasn’t the case. I did my research and realized it’s concept of deeper meanings and metaphorical nature. Then once I gave it another shot I started putting things together. That’s when I started loving it. The more I rewatched the more I realized about the show. It’s one of the most powerful mediums I’ve ever consumed and I love it so much. But of course it’s ok if you don’t like it. It’s not for everyone. But it’s worth giving a shot.
Sep 19, 2021 6:28 PM

Apr 2020
Thing about FLCL is that if you'd ask three people what it's actually about you would get 5 different Opinions.

As I undertand it you'd have the most fun, when just going with the flow and taking what you see as an experience or an Idea you can now think about and take enjoyment out of interpreting all the stuff you've seen.

As soon as you try to figure out what it all means and what the story is really all about you kinda loose the mood , at least for me it was much easyer when just having fun, making up my own explainations and not brooding over the Author's intentions too much.
Sep 19, 2021 6:28 PM

Jul 2013
it's a symbolic coming of age story, if you're not a teenager the meaning probably just isn't there for you.
Sep 26, 2021 10:41 PM
Apr 2016
Aka_Saber said:
it's a symbolic coming of age story, if you're not a teenager the meaning probably just isn't there for you.

I don't agree. It s also a symbolic about becoming an ideal adult, and as a 23 years old guy, the meaning was still interesting.
Sep 26, 2021 11:18 PM

Jul 2013
Franck_Nicolas said:
Aka_Saber said:

I don't agree. It s also a symbolic about becoming an ideal adult, and as a 23 years old guy, the meaning was still interesting.

I can't really disagree, usually when one says coming of age becoming an ideal adult is included in that....Also not saying someone in their 20s can't enjoy it, just that if he's not relating to that ideal then the story likely isn't for him and it'll just seem crazy and pointless. I can't really relate, personally I've seen it multiple times and it's a classic to me.
Oct 14, 2021 6:01 PM
Oct 2019
Serial experiments Lain is just 100× better than this overrated garbage
Oct 21, 2021 10:54 AM

Apr 2020
I remember watching this as a kid, I might give it another watch for the nostalgia
“You flounder through life, struggling desperately so you won't drown, even though you would float if you'd just relax.”
Mar 19, 2022 5:51 PM
Dec 2020
karimesayonara said:
It's just not for everyone. I looove It, but I understand why some people wouldn't. My kind of animes have a lot of psychology topics and symbolism. Maybe that's why one person said it's "elitist". It is kind of a brainer. Maybe of you watch an analysis un YouTube or something it would help. But if you didn't like it the first time, why bother.
Look the elitist's here.
Mar 19, 2022 5:55 PM

Apr 2020
I could never get into this show, even as a kid when it aired on tv.
“You flounder through life, struggling desperately so you won't drown, even though you would float if you'd just relax.”
Mar 24, 2022 10:13 PM
Mar 2022
C4llum said:
So I watched FLCL a few months ago and I didn't really understand the storyline, that's if there is one. It just felt like a bunch of random clips pieced together. I didn't understand anything that was hapening and the only thing that I can remember are random horns appearing on Naota's head due to the fact he was smacked in the head with a guitar many times throughout the show, I don't get it? Why do people love this show so much? Should I rewatch it and see if something clicks?

Lmao i watched it because it was from the studio that did evangelion and that was my exact tough, i don't know if i'm just dumb asf or it's really an elitist philosophy intellectualist anime for pretentious people
May 20, 2022 12:45 PM
Sep 2021
The sharp differences in opinion on this show are wild. The art and music were pretty good but beyond that it was lacking a lot for me. Read a lot of reviews and browsed some of the forums for this and I'm still not convinced on its greatness. I'll probably rewatch it one of these days since that's supposed to make it soooooooooo much better. Maybe.
Jun 19, 2022 10:07 AM
Dec 2018
C4llum said:
monkeydpic said:
my guy I watched it and that was exactly my thought😭

Glad im not the only one then 😂

you're definitely not the only one, the thing is there's a lot of Gainax fanboys
#kyoanistrong
Apr 30, 8:19 PM

Aug 2020
I just finished watching the show. I get the symbolism and pretentious bs about Naota over coming societal pressure and norms by becoming his own person. And Mamimi just loving an idealized version of Naota then later deciding to carve out her own path and leave town. Cool love it but what was actually the plot of the show, like legit. The show does a terrible job explaining the power system and past of the characters. Why is Haruko in love with the Space pirate? What exactly is a bat/why can you just make dimensional NO portals ? What is Medical Mechanica and why do they want to iron planets? The show never explains anything and you are just supposed to go with it. Episodes 1 -3 were great imo. 4 - 6 too much was going on with no explanation.

FLCL is great in an artistic way but it is a terrible show in every way other aspect. The themes tackled were interesting and compelling but could have been executed way better. Haruko was the worst character in the show her only trait was she is insane for no reason. Wait there probably is a reason but I shouldn't have to go read a wiki to find out why!!!

6/10 at best - thats only for the animation and symbolism
"Bro, if you set your mind to it. You can jack off to anything."
☆☆☆☆☆
May 11, 7:15 PM

Oct 2013
I think it might just be a story that really resonated with the generation of kids who grew up while it was on TV late at night. My memories of watching FLCL at 4am on a school night are really vivid for some reason. I didn't really understand the metaphors on a conscious level at the time, I just thought it was cool and different.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Furi Kuri Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

babykeiji - Mar 5, 2008

242 by Devonnius »»
May 12, 9:54 PM

Poll: » Furi Kuri Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babykeiji - Mar 7, 2008

284 by Thurzix »»
Apr 29, 4:02 PM

Poll: » Furi Kuri Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Sep 22, 2008

113 by gannoncannon55 »»
Mar 25, 10:01 PM

Poll: » Furi Kuri Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Sep 22, 2008

125 by gannoncannon55 »»
Mar 25, 9:38 PM

Poll: » Furi Kuri Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Sep 21, 2008

133 by gannoncannon55 »»
Mar 25, 9:16 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.