Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Do you think kirito is a good character?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jul 10, 2021 8:58 AM

Sep 2018
I like Kirito`s character. I think a lot of people dislike him due to him having a pseudoharem. He has a pretty good moral code, and is pretty funny. Especially in ggo.
Jul 10, 2021 5:51 PM
Jan 2021
Nah hes a tool tbh.. and he knows what he does lol
Jul 14, 2021 10:03 AM
Apr 2021
He is, i don't think characters have to have quirky personalities to be good
Jul 14, 2021 10:07 AM

Jun 2016
He is the true black swordsman, hence he is a good character
Aug 31, 2023 8:27 AM
Jan 2014
He feels like a Mary Sue or a Marty Stue to me. He is always the best, he knows everything, he's the only one who can keep his cool in tough situations, he's the one who beats the unbeatable bosses with some Deus Ex Machina secret technique that he conveniently unlocks right before the fight or discovers he has at just the right moment, he's also the one who gets the girl and a harem and so forth.

When I first heard about this anime, it was already released for a few years, the plot seemed really cool - a VRMMORPG (I'm a big MMORPG player so it's a plus for me), players get locked up and if they die in the game, they die in real life too. But then I saw the most boring protagonist ever who has the most boring color scheme - just black. And the other characters were annoying too. When the romance was introduced, I was ready to vomit, when the harem was introduced I was completely disgusted and uninterested.

If the writer/artist created a more realistic and awesome character, it would have been better - a character that:

- is a loner
- a loser
- doesn't have friends
- can't ask for help when he needs it
+ has untapped potential
+ is better than average at games

And decides to go play solo like he always did in real life with other MMORPGs before, but then he gets in a tough situation and almost dies, but is saved by the deuteragonist who is the complete opposite of him:

+ is a people's person
+ rather successful
+ has lots of friends
+ can ask for help when he needs it
- isn't very interested in games, but was talked into playing by friends
- is average at best at games

And then the protagonist swallows his pride and starts realizing that on his own he will not be able to beat the game and escape. He also realizes he has to work on his negative qualities and become more social and less weird. The deuteragonist teaches the protagonist how to let go of his traumatic past and live in the present ... and then both become good friends where one teaches the other things he doesn't know and that's it.

Much better characters and romance is not really required at all, it can be implemented, but it's not necessary, because it would be way too much of a success story and therefore too unrealistic .

When I began to watch SAO, I was expecting a story about overcoming difficulties in a game in a cool way, but everytihng feels so forced and fake that I didn't like it at all.
Apr 20, 7:10 AM
Dec 2022
Reply to Mq84jdk
Nah. SAO’s biggest weakness is it’s characters, and it starts with Kirito.

It’s other biggest weakness is it’s pacing and obsession with rushing everything.
@Mq84jdk I have to disagree with you due to your certain points that are invalid.

The reason is as follows

Kirito never ment to be hero( and that's what makes him a true hero), and I dare to say to you that kirito is the most realistic character ever portrayed and is beyond hero myth.

Now what I meant by 'Kirito never ment to be hero" .?

What I mean is will be clear through this small review.

Kazuito Kirigaya lost his biological parents who died in an accident, after he was born on October 7, 2008 and adopted by his aunt and uncle without his knowledge and was raised with his cousin together as siblings as Kazuito Kirigaya being elder brother and suguha being his little sister, Kazuto was originally forced to train with his cousin in the neighborhood kendo dojo; however due to kirito has intrest in technology which which developed by his aunt's influence as an editor for a computer systems magazine, Kazuto became more interested in computers and dropped kendo after two years. This decision earned him a heavy beating from his grandfather, prompting Suguha to defend him by promising to practice enough for both of them. Kazuto became more interested in computers and made himself to immerse himself in technology which resulted him creating his own PC at the age of 8 (which is not impossible) and through his Love and immersion and with computer he mastered the computer by exploration and with his curiosity he discovered the truth about his family through, erased Juki Net, at the age of 10, Kazuto discovered that he was adopted from records and since then unintentionally began distancing himself from Suguha.
And this distancing himself with his family and the truth which is hard to Swallow and with his insecurities prompted by the truth questioning his belonging and his role droves him to the Gaming World which given him a sense belonging and a sense of peace which triggered him to give his 100% to the gaming world which again resulted him gaining experience and knowledge beyond an average player due to his passion and addiction to games dedicating himself towards hours of gaming at the age of 13- 14 now this is the story of an avarage teenager who gone through bizzer experience which are not uncommon in real life nor any other way arround, he is your avarage typical teenager who is struggling to cope with his mixed-emotions which was generated by knowing the truth in his own way nothing special, while enjoying the world of gaming he got an opportunity to be a beta tester of the new gen VRMMORPG Sword Art Online apon which Kazuto gladly accepts as any typical teenager would do and played the beta and with his gaming skills he reached top floors before the end of the beta test.

Upto now we were shown a typical teenager who was with a struggling seriation which drew him to the world of Gaming in a sense he was escaping his problems Through Gaming, and through the immersion of gaming at cost of loosing or failed to have social & Communication skills which made him struggle communicating with his peers leaving him lone wolf.

But at beginning of the SAO official launch, and during the launch we get to see that this game is not an odenerary game which made kirito a 13-14 years typical teenager to be forced in a situation of life and death and later servival of the fitest (namely due to orange and Red players and LaughCof) with his skills, knowledge, experience which he gained through his gaming life and his perior knowledge and experience in Beta now he has to servive (the key point of this show) and he has to to gain more exp, respources, equipments, wep, Wexp, etc he has to level up, and he can leavel up by questing and defeating monsters, now no way to servive he has to grind his teeth and fight.

Well going through all these experiencing lot's of things leaning a lot's of things through out his journey he had to take though decisions at the age of 13 to 16 which is one of it being taking all the hates, blames, targeting, Responsibilities, and Regrets (throughout Betar phase & loosing some of people of his own camarades, & making mistake/taking a wrong decision which caused others death, to killing and taking lifes of the people like LaughCaugh) and moving farword being just a teenager between 14-16 it puts a lot's of strean on both emotions and brain and it also triggers depression with low self-esteem even though he tries to move forward the scares that left in his heart and the turmas that he carries doesn't fade away that easily especially when it's repeats itself again
During GGO kirito is completely broken cause of confrontation of his past turmas and “accepting and overcoming it”, ”putting his own needs aside for the sake of others”(is Indeed nobelish and Heroic But this is not what kirito ment for), and “this GGO series doesn't have it” (and I agree with that) because it's intention isn't that, as I said kirito never ment to be a hero he ment to be a normal typical tennager who gone through and experienced a lot of intens experience and setuations which forced him to become Who is was and he is now currently through what he was gone through which determines what will he will be and moving farword despite his weakness and flaws (as he is not God and is an avarage human teenager with full of flaws and mistakes like us viewers, despite his achievements, this the perfect example of kirito not being too OP as some of the SAO haters claims to be and points out and perfectly balanced character which goes beyond the hero myth and another reason why SAO is a Masterpiece and Reki sensai is genius) he is not a hero, he is avarage human teenager (which makes him true and practical protoganest and legendary hero that is beyond typical hero myth) if I have to name his title it would be The world's greatest false hero (because he defies typical boring hero Clichés) which makes him unique and appealing

• His powers and strengths comes with a great price (which he gained through going a lot and had to lose someone, had to suffer in oder to gain what he has).

• His powers and strengths has a great responsibilits (I don't need to specify anything as you yourself know)

• His powers and strengths are balanced (as I mentioned earlier how his powers and weakness, Perfection and flaws are balanced)

• His powers and strengths are triggered by love (we can see Kirito's romantic relationship with Asuna gives Kirito unfathomable willpower which results in a great outburst of power)

• His powers and strengths are not gifted (this is one of the key points to remember, he doesn't gained his powers and strengths overnight, his powers and strengths are the results and proofs of his dedication, passion,and experiences and skills he gained throughout his childhood including the kendo training)

• His powers and strengths comes from the Bond he forged (his powers and strengths are not of his own only but it's of his entire friends, Comrades, Family, and experiences, memories and Journey he shared with everyone together).

Kirito is undoubtedly The best realistic character ever created.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

72 by katnissmaezie »»
Yesterday, 1:05 AM

» What even is SAO anymore? ( 1 2 )

Jason-Skyrunner - Apr 27

53 by soli1239 »»
May 6, 8:27 PM

» We need a reboot

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 15

32 by Jason-Skyrunner »»
May 1, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 8, 2012

480 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2012

680 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 2:32 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.