Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Do you think kirito is a good character?
Jul 9, 2021 9:52 AM
Feb 2021
I personally think he's really boring and generic. He exists just to be a power fantasy self insert with no personality. And he perpetuates further the trope that I hate of having the lonely Otaku be good at everything, and get his harem, motivating people to live in their fantasies and not on reality.
But that's my opinion, and I'm curious of what people that like him will say.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 9, 2021 10:09 AM
Oct 2020
Nah. SAO’s biggest weakness is it’s characters, and it starts with Kirito.

It’s other biggest weakness is it’s pacing and obsession with rushing everything.
Jul 9, 2021 10:12 AM
Feb 2020
Absolutely! Is he the most original anime character ever? No, but he's also not totally generic either (and I don't see anything wrong with generic anyway.) He's strong, kind, thoughtful, etc..but he's also human and realistic because he's weak sometimes, he gets caught in situations that he can't handle (or at least can't handle alone,) he loses things like everyone else..he's just well rounded in my opinion.
Jul 9, 2021 10:12 AM
Jan 2021
There's nothing special about him yet he is too overpowered. We don't know much about him and there's was never a room for his character development
Jul 9, 2021 10:29 AM
Jul 2021
I think he’s a good character but I’m mad that Asuna isn’t a lesbian cause LIKE THAT WOULD BE BETTER
Jul 9, 2021 10:32 AM
Jul 2021
Kirito is a bland protagonist wish they did more with characters personalities.
Jul 9, 2021 10:36 AM
Feb 2020
Kirito is the worst black swordsman.
Jul 9, 2021 10:39 AM
Feb 2021
Funnysilverballs said:
their audacity to call him the Black swordsman...
Jul 9, 2021 10:41 AM
Feb 2020
Vasco1001 said:
Funnysilverballs said:
, I am really sorry, should’ve put air-quotes, my mistake
Kirito is kiritrash, if he didn’t exist his clones wouldn’t exist
Jul 9, 2021 10:43 AM
Feb 2021
Funnysilverballs said:
Vasco1001 said:
there is only one real black swordsman and his name is guts
Jul 9, 2021 10:44 AM
Jul 2018
He's ok. A pretty good self insert character (except for the Super HACKA bullshit he pulls of sometimes), I do think the point of SAO is to self insert yourself into the Mc so you can chill with chicks while feeling like a badass and Kirito does a good job at that imo.

Jul 9, 2021 10:45 AM
Feb 2020
Vasco1001 said:
Funnysilverballs said:
there is only one real black swordsman and his name is guts
yup, although he became mostly black with a bit of white
Jul 9, 2021 11:09 AM
May 2021
Tbh I only do like him cause he was strong. But then I don't liked him, cause he was like: I said I love asuna? No, I don't care.... You know
Jul 9, 2021 11:22 AM
Jun 2021
No, personaly… just bc he’s way overpowerd, and has no personality
Jul 9, 2021 11:35 AM

Apr 2013
He's not as bad as some people make him out to be, but also nothing special.
Jul 9, 2021 11:37 AM

Jan 2020
No. I don't think he's the best character that the series has to offer

Jul 9, 2021 11:59 AM
Apr 2021
(SAO is my fav anime) I think his character fits well within the narrative and what I believe Reki(the author) wanted. Without trying to be bias I think anime only Kirito is the best of the worst. Especially pre Alicization SAO is not (and probably wasn't meant to be) some thought provoking complex anime with lots of deeper themes. His harem is nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be Kirito only has romantic feelings for Asuna and I personally found there relationship quite good with it giving some development to Kirito's character. Another complaint about Kirito is how op he is which I understand but personally it doesn't ruin his character or SAO as a whole. It makes sense that he is op as he has a detailed understanding on how the game works and would be able to level up faster than anyone just because it doesn't show the classic hero training sequence doesn't mean he just became op out of nowhere. As for people who say an op character takes away any tension within the story I don't believe this is the case as kirito is shown to have limits to his powers. He is unable to protect sachi and loses against heathcliff and for anyone saying he gets hacks out of nowhere that is basically every main character when they need it. At the end of the day watch what you enjoy and to a lot of people Kirito is an enjoyable character even if some people see him as a self insert.
I believe LN Kirito (currently read up to 15) is a lot better than anime Kirito. In the ln you get more inner monologue about Kirito's feeling and he seems to have more of a personality.
Jul 9, 2021 12:08 PM
Feb 2021
he is just a bland and op protagnist who does not have any kind of depth to him
Jul 9, 2021 12:10 PM
Mar 2021
No. Unlike most protagonists of shows like Goku, Naruto, etc. Kirito has no flaws that makes him special. He doesn’t have any weaknesses. Also his victories felt unearned tbh.
Jul 9, 2021 2:30 PM

Jul 2015
Miss_Esdeath said:
Absolutely! Is he the most original anime character ever? No, but he's also not totally generic either (and I don't see anything wrong with generic anyway.) He's strong, kind, thoughtful, etc..but he's also human and realistic because he's weak sometimes, he gets caught in situations that he can't handle (or at least can't handle alone,) he loses things like everyone else..he's just well rounded in my opinion.

Gonna say this before fanboys roll in, because they think it is somehow redeeming quality:

Kirito was one of the first of those bland and boring Mary Sue LN protagonists, so he kinda was "original" back in the day.
So yea, he set the bar quite low.

Jul 9, 2021 4:14 PM
Jan 2017
Ironically the show's biggest weakness is how strong kirito is, man's a walking Messiah.
Hhhmmmmmm.......
Jul 9, 2021 5:29 PM
Jan 2018
I mean, he's completely bland an inoffensive. Does that make him bad? Or just mediocre. Regardless of which you choose him being a good character is clearly the wrong answer.
He died doing what he wanted, no matter what, right? I bet he was happy.

Good luck with berserk Kouji Mori, you'll need all the help you can get. We believe in you.
Jul 9, 2021 5:30 PM
Mar 2021
I do think Kirito is a good character. Fuck you, fight me. I mean he does still show traits of a generic power fantasy character at times but hey, at least he’s not as bland as those in other anime’s *cough*generic isekai*cough*. In my opinion, Kirito is a character who’s kind, thoughtful, and a pretty big jokester at times and he is shown to have moments that show his humanity, that is in the light novels. While the anime also shows this (sometimes), it still doesn’t really do Kirito’s character much justice along with many other characters.
Jul 9, 2021 7:08 PM
Jun 2021
Kirito is one of the most boring characters I’ve ever seen.
Jul 9, 2021 7:12 PM

Jan 2021
literally, 36714 favorites vote of kirito are 12yo kids

mid-average generic harem MC, no dept, no personality, no hardwork. He even used "power of love" to win over a swordfight

“The first requirement of being a hero isn’t being right. It’s being strong. That’s why the hero always wins.” – Koyomi Araragi

Jul 9, 2021 7:15 PM

Oct 2020
Nope. I pretty much agree with everything OP said. Kirito is boring, overpowered and surrounded by plot armor all the time. SAO capitalizes on the lonely loser incels that are typically into both anime and video games and give them this bland, generic character that gets all the girls in-game (despite being a loser irl). It's basically the typical neckbeard's/incel's fantasy in animated form.
Jul 9, 2021 7:23 PM
Feb 2021
Timebomb420 said:
Nope. I pretty much agree with everything OP said. Kirito is boring, overpowered and surrounded by plot armor all the time. SAO capitalizes on the lonely loser incels that are typically into both anime and video games and give them this bland, generic character that gets all the girls in-game (despite being a loser irl). It's basically the typical neckbeard's/incel's fantasy in animated form.
the whole isekai genre is just escapist fantasy for incels that have no social life
Jul 9, 2021 7:28 PM

Oct 2020
Vasco1001 said:
Timebomb420 said:
the whole isekai genre is just escapist fantasy for incels that have no social life

I'll take your word for granted on that, as I skipped any isekai show after watching the first two seasons of SAO. I heard good stuff about Re:Zero though from multiple people both here on MAL but also irl, so I might give that a try at some point.
Jul 9, 2021 7:32 PM
Feb 2021
Timebomb420 said:
Vasco1001 said:

I'll take your word for granted on that, as I skipped any isekai show after watching the first two seasons of SAO. I heard good stuff about Re:Zero though from multiple people both here on MAL but also irl, so I might give that a try at some point.
there are always exceptions xd, I've also been told that Re:ZERO is good, I'll probably give it a watch someday. I heard it is a deconstriction of isekai so I think I'll like it idk
Jul 9, 2021 7:35 PM

Oct 2020
Vasco1001 said:
Timebomb420 said:

there are always exceptions xd, I've also been told that Re:ZERO is good, I'll probably give it a watch someday. I heard it is a deconstriction of isekai so I think I'll like it idk

The animation and character designs look bomb as well. I also wanna finally fully understand the whole Emilia vs Rem feud that wrecked the internet at some point lol
Jul 9, 2021 7:38 PM
Jul 2018
I don't have a favorite character among the cast of SAO. But overall, I think Kirito serves his role well in the series. I mean, he doesn't have the most standout personality. But I feel like he would be relatable to those that don't gravitate towards outspoken, high energy, extroverted characters.
Jul 9, 2021 8:09 PM
Aug 2020
He’s the quintessential knight in shining armour that never gives up no matter the odds and is the same as every other anime character that puts in hard work and struggles through ridiculous hurdles to get a little more over powered tell me how’s that different to Naruto, Luffy, Ichigo ,Deku, Earon, Soma and every other main character in every other anime of this type he’s a good character in a terrible anime which I’m ashamed to admit I like it’s one of those it’s so bad it’s good
Jul 9, 2021 9:00 PM
Nov 2020
maggot_lady said:
I think he’s a good character but I’m mad that Asuna isn’t a lesbian cause LIKE THAT WOULD BE BETTER
i cringed so hard when i read this
Jul 9, 2021 9:04 PM

Feb 2021
No, this guy's nothing but a joke..
(He really did became a joke when Alicization aired)
Jul 9, 2021 10:14 PM
Feb 2021
Kirito is kinda bland the only thing I enjoyed about him was his relationship with asuna
Jul 9, 2021 10:14 PM

Dec 2020
no, i don't think kirito is a good character
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 9, 2021 10:38 PM
Jul 2018
Kazu's developmets are noticeable during the first episodes and during the Project Alicization yet his internal strugles and conflicts are better represented in the novels. He's strong, complex and surprisingly and layered for a 14-year old (when the story begins).

I love how devoted and respectfull to Asuna he is and how he treats most of his women with respect and dignity. His design is cool and sleek, specially in the Hollow Realization and the Fatal Bullet version of his non-trap avatar. The Kirifever stills going strong in Japan and I really like it. Sometimes while reading SAO I like him more than my childhood heroe Edward Elric and he's definitely more tolerable than most anime protagonists such as Deku or Saitama. Kawahara-dono's obsessive fanboyism towards him irks me and I think that Asuna would make a more interesting lead protagonist, since she has a torduous family and a complex personality and isn't as overpowered as him plus she can kick a whole lot of butt and look flawless while doing so plus her design and waifu status are unparalled to any other anime girl I've encontered. So yeah he definitely is but Asuna, Eugeo or Yuuki are definitely better as standalone characters.

Do you think kirito is a good character?
I do (your vote).
Jul 9, 2021 10:49 PM

Feb 2016
He's a horrible character. An extremely bland and generic protagonist. He's a fake Black Swordsman. This is a real Black Swordsman right there.

Jul 9, 2021 11:01 PM
Jan 2021
I am reading progressive so yes
Jul 9, 2021 11:26 PM
Mar 2021
Kirirto's biggest flaw is also his best fitting adjective: Perfect. Kirito is so perfect in every way that his character feels unrealistic, it doesn't match the human complex of being fallible. No matter what kind of obstacle is placed in front of him, even before he meets it you already know he is going to deal with it somehow with minimal or non-existent losses in the process. "Why and how is he perfect?" you may be asking, well, the most notorious characteristic are his combat skills. When they introduced the character to us, he is already good at the game because of the beta test thing, he gets stronger as he faces more challenges, but you never see an actual progression on his attitudes, mindset, ideas, etc. You can easily compare Kirito from Aincrad with the Alicization one and you'll basically see the same personality. The same personality after facing a risk of death for the time he was in SAO, a literal cult of killers which even got into the real world, "losing" her loved one in front of him and some time after that literally seeing her getting harassed, among many other things. Not even his love for Asuna feels real as it has no real background beyond a dinner and a misunderstanding.

I'm not asking for a completely failure of human being to satisfy my idea of a good and realistic character, but still, you could try to enhance his character by trying to make him more natural and appealing to him actually losing something, having a real bad time. But in the end we have to focus on one thing, the audience this series is directed towards. I won't lie, I watched SAO for the first time when I was 12 and got fascinated by it as it was one of the first anime series I watched and I was part of the target audience, obviously I had no critical sense and I only enjoyed whatever made me feel excited.
Jul 10, 2021 12:30 AM
Jan 2021
yes, he’s not a bad character. generic maybe, but all main characters are like that so I don’t see the problem. he’s thoughtful and always puts other before him. ppl say he’s overpowered but there a whole season where he was handicapped and couldn’t do anything. i think he was a great character with good developed in the last season especially what happened with Eugeo. the characters in SAO aren’t all that bad, people just hop on the bandwagon to hate on SAO for no reason too
Jul 10, 2021 2:15 AM

Jul 2015
Everyone is shitting on Kirito as expected. Progressive movies upcoming, which is supposed to give much depth to his character and explain why he is so perfect, so it will be his LAST CHANCE.

Jul 10, 2021 2:27 AM
Jan 2021
…ngl I like Sao…. But yeah Kirito is a shit and generic character
Jul 10, 2021 2:56 AM
Jan 2021
I feel like he is just too over powered and that just makes some things boring, and almost every girl he met fell in love with him.
Jul 10, 2021 3:03 AM
Jan 2020
No, absolutely not.
Jul 10, 2021 5:01 AM

Aug 2020
He's a Boring character imo
Jul 10, 2021 5:28 AM
Feb 2021
Artifiyings said:
He's a horrible character. An extremely bland and generic protagonist. He's a fake Black Swordsman. This is a real Black Swordsman right there.

fuck yeah dude. Kirito doesn't stand a change against guts
Jul 10, 2021 5:41 AM

Sep 2020
No, he's bad, why would he even lie and play as the evil beater, he don't think what the others, who have friends or family died in the sao game, would feel after saying those died bcoz they didn't used their beta knowledge, ep. 2. What a cheater, Kirito uses his beta knowledge so he can play advance than the other normal players. If I am on that game I will set up a hunt and kill him.

He even get the best girl of the game and married her. If only he isn't a beta tester, Asuna won't pay attention to him if his just a lowly level player.

Sucks to him, he got the taste of reality, arrange marriage exist, Asuna is fated to marry a businessman Sugou. But damn to fight him in a world which is where his best, Sugou you fooly idiot, you should have take advantage of your real world capabilities (as a game admin, kick him in the game) instead of dealing with him in the game, a really idiot. What did sugou do, play as a god player in the game when he's incapable player.

It's really a good time seeing Kirito in trauma in GGO, the guys you killed are hunting you! If only Death Gun actually just killed him in real world rather than playing against Kirito in his best when in game. Just like Sugou they fight Kirito in game rather than taking advantage of their real world capabilities.

Suck to him his best friend got killed. Despair to you fvckin cheater.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 10, 2021 5:43 AM
Jul 2018
Not at all. He has the personality of a plastic cup and everyone around him treats him like he's the fucking Messiah. He's just another boring self insert protagonist that a lot of these isekais love to use
Jul 10, 2021 8:49 AM

Jun 2015
no, because he's trash
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

72 by katnissmaezie »»
May 16, 1:05 AM

» What even is SAO anymore? ( 1 2 )

Jason-Skyrunner - Apr 27

53 by soli1239 »»
May 6, 8:27 PM

» We need a reboot

Superninjaboy2 - Mar 15

32 by Jason-Skyrunner »»
May 1, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 8, 2012

480 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 5:20 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2012

680 by amf85 »»
Apr 27, 2:32 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.