Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Life Lessons with Uramichi Oniisan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jul 6, 2021 7:44 AM
Jun 2015
Damn this is really good!!! My favorite VAs and the setting and everything - love this.
Jul 6, 2021 7:56 AM
Sep 2018
oh man that Richard Feynman scene, haven't laughed like that at anime in a while
Jul 6, 2021 8:10 AM

Apr 2018
A comedy with an all-star cast? Best comedy of the season easily
Jul 6, 2021 8:40 AM
Jul 2020
Great show for kids!
Jul 6, 2021 8:58 AM
Nov 2016
It's been so long I chuckle this much since Amaburi, it's a unique and fun kids show where adult with midlife crisis singing, dancing joyfully, and doing Q&A session about real adult life lesson
What a great first episode, top tier Seiyuu line, and groovy ED
Really enjoy it
Jul 6, 2021 9:06 AM

May 2020
Ahhh this was fantastic. I'm only fresh in my 20s myself but this feels waaaay to relatable, god damn what am I doing with my life.
Don't mind me,
just passing by...
Jul 6, 2021 9:22 AM
Dec 2019
Squidward the anime lol
Jul 6, 2021 10:41 AM

Jan 2021
When I find out Sugita san is part of the cast I knew the anime can produce something good..but damn there are other famous VA's in here too. A lot of people here talked about the OP but, I must say the ED was amazing...also kinda liked that there is a bit of dark humour in it. It is actually refreshing to see adults as protags in anime sometimes. Hope people the future episodes can produce even better.
Jul 6, 2021 1:45 PM

Aug 2008
I'd never heard of this before but one episode in and I am sold!
Jul 6, 2021 2:00 PM

May 2020
The Ed song is really good. Honestly I was gonna read the manga for this until I saw there was an anime that was gonna release soon. I am still gonna read the manga since it seems short. This sires is pretty fun.
Jul 6, 2021 2:32 PM

Nov 2012
Damn, hilarious, also the VAs

Now this is a dark comedy I can enjoy, well, maybe its not dark (as racist or laughing at ppl disgrace) but pessimist.
knktzvraJul 6, 2021 2:35 PM

My Candies:

Jul 6, 2021 3:55 PM

Jul 2016
Jesus... the depression sure is strong with this one, huh?

Okay start overall. Not really "funny" given the extreme defeatist vibes going around but at least Miyano's character managed to put a smile on my face. By the way, I can totally see Iketeru and Ishigami becoming friends if this show and Kaguya-sama shared universe.
Jul 6, 2021 4:04 PM

Mar 2017
when i tell you i cannot stop thinking about the "richard" conversation... something is so funny about a grown man losing his shit over a dumb joke and watching another feed into it. ive been laughing about this all day
Jul 6, 2021 5:49 PM
Jul 2018
lol it's pretty creepy the guys' personality really is something weird when they're not around kid good episode.
Jul 6, 2021 6:18 PM
Jul 2018
That was so funny, amazing start. Hopefully, the next episodes will keep the high quality. Already loving Uramichi
Jul 6, 2021 6:29 PM
Jul 2012
Simply put, I wanted to like this more than I did.

I enjoy a good, dark comedy, but the episode mostly just dragged for me. (The Richard Feynman scene was the highlight of the episode.) I've worked a job where I felt lifeless and cynical about everything, so I understand where it's coming from. However, the episode just felt tired and repetitive. Of course, if that's what the director was going for in service of making the audience feel like the protagonist a bit, then it was a success. That doesn't make it good, though.

I can see this being a you-either-get-it-or-you-don't sort of series. I'll try one more episode, but right now, I'm in the latter camp.
Jul 6, 2021 6:36 PM
Oct 2018
Eh, I'm not feeling it, which is a shame because this premise really should land with me. The Richard Feynman scene was mildly amusing in an absurdist sort of way and the little kids' song about 4 minutes in made me chuckle but overall this landed pretty flat for me. I'll give it another episode but they have got to do something to get me to care about these characters.
Jul 6, 2021 7:07 PM

Aug 2013
HHahahaha I knew this was gonna be good. 10/10 Ding a ling 🤣
Jul 6, 2021 7:21 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Execution could've been a bit better, but I still enjoyed it.

Most likely gonna try to keep up with it!
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jul 6, 2021 7:50 PM

Mar 2009
One joke repeated over and over again.
Jul 6, 2021 11:50 PM
Mar 2021
I could relate to this anime and Uramichi so much! Lol my adult life😂😭
Jul 7, 2021 2:51 AM

Sep 2018
I have high hopes for this anime, but it's hard to watch it without comparing it to Kidding (Showtime TV series starring Jim Carrey, very good in my opinion). The premise is basically the same.
Jul 7, 2021 4:38 AM

Nov 2013
I saw the manga meme a few years ago and I though it was hilarious. After watching the anime? not so much, but still an okay premiere.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Jul 7, 2021 4:41 AM
Jul 2018
Best comedy of the season
Jul 7, 2021 4:58 AM
Apr 2021
Cool seiyuu with a pain story of adulthood... thats so crazy, hahaha
Jul 7, 2021 5:31 AM

Jun 2016
wow this anime so funny haha
Jul 7, 2021 10:46 AM
Isekai Trucker

Oct 2015
This was way funnier than I expected. He's literally the same as me. Even the same age. Damn.
Today, I may be a weak little bug that gets tossed in the wind,
washed away by the currents, and drowns, but tomorrow,
I may become the butterfly that spreads its colossal wings and flies the open skies!

~ Oe Kintaro
Jul 7, 2021 11:29 AM

Jan 2020
Mamo-chan, HiroC, Sugita and Nakamura? Sign me the fuck up.

First episode was great, I'm glad I took my friend's recommendation to start this. I love me some anime with adult characters that are extremely relatable. They speak to me on insane levels.

I think the narrator is the same as Arakawa Under the Bridge one. The entire first episode gave me Arakawa Under the Bridge vibe with the VAing. Looking forward to the rest!
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Jul 7, 2021 11:58 AM
Sep 2019
The entire episode was just a vibe, i- it's been a while since I related to an anime this much (since watamote (>~<)/ )
Jul 7, 2021 1:17 PM

Aug 2020
all my favourite seiyuus in one show. Amazing
Jul 7, 2021 1:58 PM

Apr 2021
The "question, answer, question, BANG, gloomy monologue" thing got old in about three minutes. The second half was a little better with a few amusing moments but it looks really ugly and feels sort of stale with the writing. I'll give it another episode but there's no way this is going to hold a candle to Nami Yo Kiitekure, is there.
Jul 7, 2021 5:03 PM
May 2019
The cast is the goddamn dream team
Jul 7, 2021 5:58 PM

Jun 2014
"Just because a single guy guzzles down cheap sake while watching boring late night dramas every night, you shouldnt assume that he's unhappy." - words to live by.
Jul 7, 2021 11:22 PM

Feb 2020
With someone who suffers from Depression and other stuff and having situations where I have to act fine, while I want to say stuff which I obviously don't for certain reasons, this Anime feels so intensely reliable, that I can't even compare it to another anime, which felt so close to home. If this goes on through the 13 episodes, this will be for sure a 10 out of 10.
Really glad I found this randomly, because I'm not really a Slice of Life fan in the first place.
And as lots of prevous comments already mentioned, the cast of VA's is actually really huge.
Just like Richard. XDDDD

Yeah from Episode one it's quite obvious that my favorite char is prolly gonna be Iketeru, because he is weak to dirty jokes - just as myself. He and I would be a hell of giggly-childish couple, laughing about anything suggestive. XD"
The stain of red that colors the pavement
Painted with blood of somebody you love
Is this the sacrifice for the broken
Losing the purest of what's in your heart
Jul 8, 2021 1:45 AM

Jul 2009
MichaelJackson said:
VanishingKira said:
As a fan of dark humor, I think it's badly done here.

All the jokes lead to the same "adulthood/life sucks, pity me" punchline.

There's no sense of variety and they might as well had been repeating the same one joke endlessly throughout the episode.

came here to say the same. it feels so uncreative. a shame because adulthood and midlife crisis is unrepresented in anime . I think some people just praise this beacuse its the only thing we are getting once in a while.

Same here. I have nothing against the same gag being used over and over if it's really funny, and as a pessimistic person I also love dark humor, but in this episode there was nothing funny and it became very forced and repetitive after 10 minutes.
Jul 8, 2021 2:04 AM
Nov 2007
WOW... it's basically a British sitcom in an animé form! It's so hilariously self-deprecating that you can't help but laugh & be depressed all at once! Also, Kamiya Hiroshi is such a comedic genius that I firmly believe that only he can pull off this role so effortlessly! It's like Yato & Levi merged into one -- and you get Uramichi-oniisan!

God, I never realised how badly I need this show in my life right now!
Jul 8, 2021 3:33 AM
Dec 2014
Mans needs some serious therapy
Jul 8, 2021 4:02 AM

Aug 2018
very confused at the ED choice? would've thought they'd go for something more in line with the show's theme but it's just some atmospheric contemporary RnB. sounds like something that could be in Carole and Tuesday which isn't bad per se but it feels very out of place.

Jul 8, 2021 10:26 AM

May 2020
badvillainy said:
very confused at the ED choice? would've thought they'd go for something more in line with the show's theme but it's just some atmospheric contemporary RnB. sounds like something that could be in Carole and Tuesday which isn't bad per se but it feels very out of place.

Honestly I view the ED both as a way to save money and to be self deprecating. Iketeru's VA is the one singing it, (he released the song as a single a month ago), so I think it's definitely a way to cut costs. Also, the song talks about how tomorrow will be better than the current day, which is probably the only reason why the characters in this show keep going to work. The song is catchy, but when paired with the show, the irony created when contrasting the lyrics to the show's content material enhances the feeling of "being an adult sucks" that this show is trying to give off.
Jul 8, 2021 10:30 AM

Aug 2018
ZBubble said:
badvillainy said:

Honestly I view the ED both as a way to save money and to be self deprecating. Iketeru's VA is the one singing it, (he released the song as a single a month ago), so I think it's definitely a way to cut costs. Also, the song talks about how tomorrow will be better than the current day, which is probably the only reason why the characters in this show keep going to work. The song is catchy, but when paired with the show, the irony created when contrasting the lyrics to the show's content material enhances the feeling of "being an adult sucks" that this show is trying to give off.

You know what that makes a lot of sense. I still feel sound-wise it's out of place but I appreciate you clearing up what the song is rlly about BC it works better taking in the lyrics too.

Jul 8, 2021 6:03 PM

Oct 2019
The cast for this show is just top notch. If you let the name of this show deceive you, you'll miss out on this hidden gem and can I say that Uramichi's persona fits Hiroshi Kamiya so damn well. Hell, he even looks like Hiroyshi Kamiya if you look closely. He's definitely the number one reason why I love this show even in its first episode. Everything he says and does is so relatable its funny. I laughed hard at the Richard Feyman joke scene lmao. His expression to the joke alone cracked me up. I'm definitely sticking with this show in the long run. My top 10 for this season.

PS: I don't really care much about the show's OP and ED, so it's not a problem for me. As long as it's good, it's good..
Jul 9, 2021 10:19 AM
May 2015
I found the start to be a bit mixed, actually.

I expected the tone of the adaptation to have more satire and bite to it (like Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei), but instead I see mostly sad clowns with painted smiles on their faces, which is a bit depressing. At least Uramichi and his antics with the kids and the bunny and bear are as funny as the manga.

But to be fair, the anime has just started and there will be more comedy to see.

The cast is top-rate, the animation is decent. No trouble there.

The ED sounds great to hear.

So it was an ok debut, but I'm holding out so that the jokes will be better.
Jul 9, 2021 11:07 AM

Apr 2020
That was some funny (Some jokes didn't fall perfectly, but damn I enjoy this!) yet bleak humor. So far the cast seems pretty fun with their personalities and how they clash. If it can keep it up, then this should be a fun watch this season.
Jul 9, 2021 12:39 PM

Apr 2020
alshu said:
Now that was relatable, especially:

AOTS so far.

this is so relatable. xD ahahaha.
Whole anime is relatable lolol

i love the first episode.
if anyone ever worked with kids.. thats basicly how teachers feels to deal with brats. xD (even tho the kids in anime are nice and all)
Jul 9, 2021 3:36 PM

Dec 2009
Ok. If this keeps up I will have a new favourite or/and a show gets a 9 or 10 score. This was AWESOME! The dark humour that comes with it is just right and on the point. I can relate to these characters so much! My age group and the same kind of disaster with everything in life. Awesome. Working with kids when you rather do anything else is tough. I look forward to the rest of the show!!
Jul 9, 2021 5:54 PM

Mar 2021
i'm going through some tough irl shit right now and this show came to me at just the right time. it really speaks to my crippling depression
Jul 9, 2021 6:03 PM
Mar 2021
I only have two thing to say:

• Thank you to the creators for the great show. It hits hard, it's too real, & it's HILARIOUS
• Please keep it up
• I ne--
Jul 9, 2021 10:29 PM
Sep 2020
This was waaaay too funny I thought this show was for kids and thanks to twitter i found this diamond!!! Can't wait for EP 2
Jul 10, 2021 3:47 AM
Jul 2018
That was so relatable and some nice jokes here. The cast lineup is too good to be missed. As long as the jokes don't start getting unfunny, I'll continue to watch. OP was cringe tho.
Jul 10, 2021 4:11 AM
Sep 2016
Who in the world would think of matching Kamiya Hiroshi (Araragi Koyomi/Monogatari Series) and Mamoru Miyano (Okabe Rintaro/ Steins;Gate) in an anime is a good thing!? Now we could just only wait as the two huge dense masses might form a Black Hole which shall suck the entire Solar System. Joking aside though, this show is a riot! The existence of Kamiya-san and Mamoru-san in the anime (especially during the Richard Feynman jokes) is an absolute riot!
Python is the best programming language ever. FIGHT ME!
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Uramichi Oniisan Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 30, 2021

55 by Tobimaroo »»
Apr 3, 12:50 AM

Poll: » Uramichi Oniisan Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2021

110 by Tobimaroo »»
Apr 3, 12:42 AM

Poll: » Uramichi Oniisan Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 2, 2021

69 by Tobimaroo »»
Apr 2, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Uramichi Oniisan Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 13, 2021

43 by Tobimaroo »»
Apr 2, 10:52 AM

Poll: » Uramichi Oniisan Episode 8 Discussion

KANLen09 - Aug 23, 2021

48 by Kvistis »»
Jan 30, 3:33 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.