Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Shadows House
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jun 12, 2021 6:39 PM
May 2021
this episode was very satisfying, the reason kate gave the name "Emilyko" I thought that part was omitted, apparently they put that part at the right time,I read the manga, at first when they omitted that part I was disappointed(╥﹏╥)
Jun 12, 2021 7:18 PM
Mar 2019
Lmao I thought they're only holding back their tears there, didn't know they were already hypnotized. My laughter was out of place.

VP2003boi said:
I remember seeing this part in the manga, and loving most but some parts i just hated, same here tbh. The thing that i hate is just how they just lay out a giant information bomb in the most meh way possible. Its literally what you shouldnt do when you do exposition, especially information as important as this. Besides that tho, the episode was just great, fun at the beginning, super creepy after, its was a very enjoyable watch.

Good point! It felt strange to just throw it all in narrative. There are so many ways to make it more thrilling and surprising, and that's where the show obviously failed.
I love K-On, and so should you.

Jun 12, 2021 7:18 PM

May 2020
Amazing episode!! Best one so far! So many revelations and twists, and a lot of creepy and fucked up moments. Glad Kate and Emilico were able to pass, though... poor Shirley and Rum... Things are getting more interesting, and it's about to end..! Time to read the manga once it's over.
Jun 12, 2021 7:20 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Wow this episode end too fast. Never expect them using the river as a road, the cart as a boat, and Kate soot controlling power as a booster. Its way beyond my previous assumptions. Nice twist shit over there, and very lucky. Cause their place was a hill, and the finish line on the lower place. If not, well, congratulations to say the least! The banquet to celebrate their success. Ah, Rosemary Shadow, such a wonderful lady resemblance. I knew that coffee was a sus. But, never thought before that they will dump me such an heavy information exposition like that, especially with how Shadow origin began. Even on this suppose to be a happy final of the debut arc, its still very unexpected. But, well, i think its better than nothing, i assume.

About Shirley, i feel really bad for Rum. Its already too late, eh, for Shirley to improved? Well, thats it, she failed, and the information was fine enough to explain whats goin on there. However, to think about foreshadowing. Its already showed on this part: right from the very first episode. So....

But first, Kate have the first objective, those coffee. Damn, the soot filling Emilico eyes completely. Lets see how Kate get rid of Lord Grandfather coffee power out of her beloved living doll, Emilico, body. Can it just be wash away by drinking a lot of a mere water? Or need Kate to use her soot controlling power? Really looking forward to the next episode.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jun 12, 2021 8:12 PM

Jul 2017
New visual after Episode 10:

KANLen09Jun 12, 2021 8:20 PM
Jun 12, 2021 9:38 PM
Overthinker

Jun 2017
Personally glad to have an info dump episode. Lot of things needed to be explained and the season is nearing it's end. I'm very scared for everyone right now. Best episode so far perhaps
Jun 12, 2021 9:40 PM

Jun 2019
I didn’t think they were going to reveal that much this early in the series, but I’m glad they did because it adds so much more to the stakes and story. It is a literal gamechanger for this anime and it’s a shame that more people aren’t watching it, because mystery anime like these are always more fun when everyone is reacting to it.
Jun 12, 2021 11:05 PM

Apr 2014

Reading this in the manga was one thing, but when I saw Emilico's brainwashed face and her expression was something completely else. I wish for this series to already have a 2nd season announced, but there's no good place in the manga to cut it off for now, and I would really want for CloverWorks not to be ClobberWorks and adapt the rest faithfully.
MaouNemesisJun 12, 2021 11:19 PM
Jun 12, 2021 11:29 PM

Sep 2019
The living dolls' brainwashed faces were amazing, it truly scared me. We really needed the info dumb that they gave in this episode.
Jun 12, 2021 11:55 PM
Apr 2021
VP2003boi said:
I remember seeing this part in the manga, and loving most but some parts i just hated, same here tbh. The thing that i hate is just how they just lay out a giant information bomb in the most meh way possible. Its literally what you shouldnt do when you do exposition, especially information as important as this. Besides that tho, the episode was just great, fun at the beginning, super creepy after, its was a very enjoyable watch.
I agree, it would have been better to completely conceal what happened to Rum. Have kate and emilico discover her by accident.
Most of the other exposition could have also been withheld and shown to us slowly as the story progressed.
Jun 13, 2021 1:21 AM

Aug 2008
Meh, could do without this heavy handed exposition. First minutes of the first episode already spoiled what living dolls are and in previous episodes grown up shadows were showing their hosts faces, so it brought no new information other than the time limit for parasite to develop and take over human body. At this point it would be better to reveal something about the origin or source of shadows than spelling out what we already know.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jun 13, 2021 2:24 AM

Oct 2016
Fantastic episode! Cart-kun is the mvp right here. Edward, you all laughed when Emilico chose the cart, but who's laughing now. Those soot wings were beautiful, it's very satisfying to see Edward get shocked to the core. RIP Shirley, that was really sad, and now Rum will be turned into one of those veiled dolls.

That's some nasty coffee, those black pupils are terrifying. Give us our sunshine Emilico back. Honestly, at the pace we are going I am not sure where the season will end. Hopefully we get a 2nd season, cause it just get even better from here.
Jun 13, 2021 3:07 AM

Jun 2014
Damn this episode dropped a lot of information on us about the underlying evil of Shadows House. Emilico looked so creepy at the end with that brainwashed face. Definitely an unsettling episode. Oh and poor Rum :( she finally started bonding with Shirley but it was too late.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jun 13, 2021 3:36 AM

Nov 2018
Shirley seemed like an important character, so I wasn't expecting her to disappear like that. Rum got to talk with her once, and only once. Was sad.
Jun 13, 2021 4:11 AM

Mar 2014
Finally the debut is finish and it really has a twisted reason behind it. And also I'm sad to see Shirley gone
Jun 13, 2021 5:10 AM

Sep 2019
This series is so overlooked it's not even funny.

Damn, why did it have to come out in this stacked season...I don't understand Aniplex.
Jun 13, 2021 5:45 AM

Jul 2014
It's fantastic that we finally understand just what the Shadows and Living Dolls are (I'm not surprised at all that the Dolls truly are humans, just brainwashed), but what a clunky way to deliver the absolute most important piece of exposition in the entire show. It's just given to us so unnaturally, rather than being earned by the characters themselves to feel natural to the viewers. On the flipside, giving us this information now makes us more sympathetic to Kate's cause as she seems set to fight against the House and, eventually, Lord Grandfather.

I'm also pleasantly surprised that my theory about the Veiled Dolls prove true, but it's the only explanation that makes sense as even if they were to erase Rum's memory they couldn't reuse her as the other Shadows would remember and start to realise that something is wrong. Even less surprising is that the Living Dolls are indeed brainwashed humans after all, and seeing even Emilico fully brainwashed was a disturbing moment. I wonder if there's anything Kate can do about that, given that the brainwashing is based on soot powers infused with the coffee.

It's bold to give us such a huge exposition bomb with three episodes left, as I have to wonder what else this show can do in one cour as a more natural ending spot than this.
Jun 13, 2021 7:28 AM

Mar 2018
Wow, a lot of information surrounding the shadows came to light this episode, including why all the faces seem to be so loyal to Lord Grandfather.

Rip Rum :(.

Very interesting episode, I wonder what "arc" we will enter in the last three episodes of this season.
Jun 13, 2021 9:11 AM

Apr 2020
RIP my homies Rum and Shirley

Kinda don't like the way the soot brainwashing is shown in the dolls' eyes, compared to the manga it's a lot more obvious. tho maybe i just didn't notice it that much in the manga cause i don't focus on character's eyes

Still tho the end of the debut arc and this next arc coming up were my favorite parts of the manga so far, so I'm looking forward to it
Jun 13, 2021 9:41 AM
Oct 2015
I see many people complaining about the information dump this episode. I feel like the few people who 3/5 this episode didn't care for the exposition bit.

Maybe it's just a matter of taste, but I didn't mind it, either here, or in the manga. If we had to rely on the characters figuring out these secrets, anime-onlys would never get to see it unless it went full anime original or got confirmed for a second season.

For my part, as a manga reader, I was just glad to finally get some major information nearly 50 chapters into the series, so just an avalanche of info was fine with me. Besides, people think they know all the secrets now and they simply don't. Yes, a lot of info was revealed but not everything was. Major details are yet to be shown.

Anyway, this episode was amazing imo. In fact, I actually think Shirley's death was handled better here than in the manga. Having Rum's dialogue about "her slowing down" and "holding her hand till the end" being delivered as she's shown walking with her was much more impactful to me than how they depicted it in the manga. Plus that, combined with that amazing musical score as she disintegrates. Ah, it was a masterstroke! Definitely a 5/5 episode for me, and can't wait to see "The Dark Drink" episode next week!
DukeofWaltonJun 13, 2021 9:44 AM
Jun 13, 2021 12:05 PM

May 2019
JustRitom said:
GUYS IF YOU WATCH EP 1's FIRST 2 MINUTES NOW,EVERYTHING WILL COME TOGETHER..THANK ME LATER :>

damn everything its actually there
Jun 13, 2021 12:14 PM
Jan 2021
I held this show high, but the tenth episode elevated it even higher!

It's a slow burn.. yes it is. But when it reach you, you'll turn into a bonfire!. If you wanna look at the bright side, the story doesn't rush anything (well except for that deleted content by the animation department, and the exposition that delivered not so good, but i think there's no better time to do that than now) and that is evolve into a pretty good suspense i would say.

Because at first, they succeeded distracting us with the very good written Emilico, who brighten every scene of the dark Shadows Mansion with her cheerful attitude, and for over an half of the episodes, we though this is just a light warm story about her and her overcoming. But underneath, we know there's something wrong, there's something uncanny crawling beneath our skin. We doesn't want to admited it, but there's still something mysterious and hidden about the hollowness of those shadows master, and it's true. This is not just the story about the doll called Emilico, No. The tenth episodes suddenly broaden our view that it's actually something darker. And they manage to shock us with it, even when we already unconsciously know somethings gonna happen, but it is our lost because we fail to believed it. As much as we fail to believe that the protagonist of this story is actually Katie, the rebellious shadows that,.. because of Emilico are doing a shitty job as her face, we can't actually see her through so it slipped by our eyes all this time (clever works, Cloverworks)

Another clever thing that they did, is the fact that the story wanna to keep convinced us that the faces, are trully a doll. And for a second we believed it!. But Emilico is bleeding, she can be sad, she can be happy, Shaun and Edward is capable of being shy, Rum are having The Shinning disorder. Slowly we started to contradict ourself, by started to expect they gonna behave like human, but in our mind they're still a doll. And so the dark twist worked, and it's our lost again

This whole sequence feels like i've been watching a holocaust documentary about secret experiment of human being brainwashed

A few things i like to mention:
Shirley and Rum scene, definitely goes to my top 10 Anime death list, and the last few second when Emilico hollow eyes slowly looking to the camera it's so creepy

I think, with only few more episodes left, if there's nothing significantly downfall happen (like if suddenly the animation shift to Ex-Arm production or such) this could be, very sure my ANIME OF THIS SEASON! And possibly ranked higher on my list than Promised Neverland (unless they also f*cked up the second season)
EmpireDeLunaJun 13, 2021 12:56 PM
Jun 13, 2021 4:37 PM
Mar 2021
Its now episode 10 and its really good.. where they really didnt expect that kate and emilico would also pass.. i was expecting some drama, but thanks to the great grandfathers soot, all the dolls obeyed and their minds controlled.. and an unexpected statement of facts about the shadows! Didnt also expect the turn of events, as edward is then given authority over the childrens ward! All cuz of his achievements over the childrens debut.. but the debut might also be the trigger that will make kate really be the rebel of the shadows, all cuz of edwards presumptions.. and as the dark side of the shadow house shows, just how will the children be able to win this time? Anyways, i rate the episode a 9.5 of 10, 9.5 for both story and art.. :)
Jun 13, 2021 5:05 PM
May 2015
Piromysl said:
Emilico causally dropped an N-word while drinking coffee. LMFAO
LMAO I'm not the only one who noticed that then 😂 😂...I bet you people are going to start making memes about Emilico and Kate both saying the N-word and be like "Japan is Racist CONFIRMED!!" lol.

Jun 13, 2021 5:06 PM

Jul 2015
jc9622 said:
Piromysl said:
LMAO I'm not the only one who noticed her say the N-word then 😂 😂...I bet you people are going to start making memes about Emilico and Kate both saying the N-word and be like "Japan is Racist CONFIRMED!!" lol.

Especially since she called the BLACK liquid an N-word.

Jun 13, 2021 8:21 PM

Jul 2016
F for Rum. Poor girl ended up being the scapegoat for the story to explain what happen to a Living Doll and their Shadow in case they fail the Debut.
Now seriously, the scene with Shirley disappearing was directed quite well.

Well... the exposition could have been handled better but other than that, this was another nice episode. We now know that the Shadows are basically parasites; that the Living Doll who fails the Debut becomes a "Veiled Doll" with no personality nor memories and that Edward's end goal is to sit beside the Lord Grandfather by dethroning the current third-floor higher-ups that accompany him.
It was also revealed that Living Dolls are basically brainwashed humans but that could already be speculated since the opening scene from episode 1.

This said, Emilico drank two "coffees" in the end so now let's see what Kate can do to help her.
Jun 13, 2021 10:22 PM
Jun 2017
Such a good episode.

God, poor Rum. I wonder if we'll ever see her again, I really did like her.
F for Shirley. She just disappeared in thin air. It was a bit of a shock, as I didn't think a debut could result in a Shadow's death.
I thought the undulating eyes meant that they were trying to hold back their tears for Rum and Shirley due to the shock, but wow, it was weird.
I must say such an important info dump was poorly delivered. I also think it was delivered too early. I don't really feel like the story has progressed much, as the major strength of this series is in its characters, who develop through their interactions with each other (which haven't been that much, in my opinion). Anyway, I feel like this is too much of a revelation to have been brought now, as this has felt just like a very long prologue.

Also, I don't understant that pretty well. It's said that dolls acquire a personality by interacting with their faces, but we've seen they already had a defined personality before meeting them. Or maybe not, thinking about it. Maybe Patrick already had some progress when he was introduced. Anyway, where do the dolls come from? How do they acquire their personalities? Are they not really living dolls, but humans? Many questions have arisen.

But it was nice overalll.

God in Heaven, after a couple of replays I noticed that Emilico looks briefly at you in the end of the episode. That was a bit unsettling.
Jun 13, 2021 10:27 PM

Dec 2016
They cleared many questions in this episode.

Emilico should've listened to Kate and drank the tea instead then at least one would stay sane. So, won't the effects of the soot coffee wear out after some time or is it permanent? I feel like, if Emilico drinks Kate's soot then Lord Grandfather's soot effect might wear off.

So, the shadows would disappear if they failed to finish the test, that's creepy. I feel bad for Rum. She was finally opening up to Shirley and this just had to happen.
Jun 13, 2021 10:32 PM

Oct 2008
oh no! is Rum out of the game?
and did Emilico got possessed or something!?!?
4/5.

Jun 13, 2021 10:34 PM

Jul 2020
This is probably my favorite episode of the season so far.

Emilico and Kate are a perfect match for eachother, jeez are they so damn cute together. It really shouldn't be legal how cute they are when they're together. This episode, Kate and Emilico were both able to pass the debut, even with the obstacles they faced with the headmasters doll. RIP rum, and damn was that ending was scary seeing Emilico like that, is she possessed now or what?
LeEggBreadJun 13, 2021 10:44 PM
Jun 13, 2021 10:38 PM

Mar 2019
So Good, but so Sad...........

Rum ;n;
Nyan-Pasu!... [ Ara Ara ] [ Waifus ]
Jun 13, 2021 11:30 PM
Mar 2019
So we finally find out shadows are actually parasitic beings trying to morph into human looking beings. What their purpose is beyond shadow's house? Hopefully we find out soon. This show is okay, imo but I can't understand why it's rated so high here. It's maybe a 6/10 at best
Jun 14, 2021 12:48 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Omg so many revelations, the boat scene between Emilico and Kate was great, and they managed to pass the exhibition but it's heartbreaking for what happened to Rum and Shirley though... the coffee is brainwashing them and Emilico is in this state, I hope she'll get fixed soon, at least Kate didn't drink it and is still aware, but it seems like she has a lot of secret and I wonder what will happen for her against the other ones, the revelations about the shadow being parasites etc is also very interesting, probably one of the best episode so far
Jun 14, 2021 3:54 AM
Jul 2018
The revelations about the shadows were pretty much amazing, there was a lot of information during the Episode and the mysteries it seems continuous about that "grandmother"
Jun 14, 2021 5:58 AM
May 2021
This episode was so dope. I wasn’t really expecting all this information being exposed, but it makes sense looking back at Edwards lil shadow transformation x piano moment. Tbh I’m surprised this manga/show isn’t talked about more, it’s such an interesting premise. Hopefully they do this more justice than, hmm, Promised Neverland persay 💀
Jun 14, 2021 6:51 AM

Feb 2021
This episode was amazing. I don't mind the info dump.

JustRitom said:
GUYS IF YOU WATCH EP 1's FIRST 2 MINUTES NOW,EVERYTHING WILL COME TOGETHER..THANK ME LATER :>

Holy crap thank you
Jun 14, 2021 7:21 AM
May 2016
Such an odd info dump there at the end, poor Rum. :( Such creepy caffine high faces O_o
Jun 14, 2021 8:07 AM
Dec 2017
I always thought it was strange in the earlier episodes the guy in charge had no head, no face. I just ignored it as some glitch in the matrix.

After episode 10 plot twist revealing the shadow behind the curtain controlling it all. It's starting to make more sense now. The original shadow master didn't have a living doll, and therefore doesn't have a body to mimic.

The issue is who is creating the living dolls? Could the living dolls be stolen human children, memories manipulated by shadow powers? Why do I think this? Shadows are parasites, incapable of creating their unique bodies. How can they have the creativity to create people, while failing to make themselves?

Oh, to be honest, I highly doubt any manga/anime to be this deep; because 99.999% of the time they will use some lazy writing to explain it. Lowering your expectations will never lead to disappointments.

Jun 14, 2021 2:35 PM

Jan 2017
That "Dark Angel" Scene tho, soo well made! Also that info bomb, I will utterly destroy the manga in one week if they will not announce an S2 just after the last episode!

JustRitom said:

Dear God, you are right!
Jun 15, 2021 3:48 AM
Nov 2017
Piromysl said:

Btw, if a shadow master fails at their debut, they break apart and die? That's dark.

WTF?? She said "nigai" which means "bitter" in english and "amargo" in spanish.

It seems some people just look for things to be offended, you and that other person claiming "racism!!1!" are looking like ignorants, like seriously.
RickSuarezJun 15, 2021 3:51 AM
Jun 15, 2021 3:54 AM
Nov 2017
Piromysl said:
jc9622 said:
LMAO I'm not the only one who noticed her say the N-word then 😂 😂...I bet you people are going to start making memes about Emilico and Kate both saying the N-word and be like "Japan is Racist CONFIRMED!!" lol.

Especially since she called the BLACK liquid an N-word.

What a pair of ignorant fools you both are.
Jun 15, 2021 4:02 AM

Jul 2015
RickSuarez said:
Piromysl said:

Btw, if a shadow master fails at their debut, they break apart and die? That's dark.

It seems some people just look for things to be offended, you and that other person claiming "racism!!1!" are looking like ignorants, like seriously.

Seriously? Like... Seriously, dude?

Jun 15, 2021 7:20 AM

Jan 2011
Piromysl said:
RickSuarez said:

Seriously? Like... Seriously, dude?

I know right? Never underestimate how stupid the human race can be.
Jun 15, 2021 12:35 PM
May 2016
Where did this episode leave off chapter wise
Jun 15, 2021 9:10 PM

Jul 2010
Happy I didn't drop it after the first 2-3 episodes. Build-up was too slow but the payoff is worth it. It has the potential to become something big like Promised Neverland. Probably not THAT big, but still. The ideas and characters are there, the only thing that's left is consisting quality storytelling and I really liked Debut Arc. Let's see what happens next.
Jun 15, 2021 9:12 PM

Aug 2018
TheMangaManiac said:
Happy I didn't drop it after the first 2-3 episodes. Build-up was too slow but the payoff is worth it. It has the potential to become something big like Promised Neverland. Probably not THAT big, but still. The ideas and characters are there, the only thing that's left is consisting quality storytelling and I really liked Debut Arc. Let's see what happens next.

Honestly, I thought the first half was more interesting. The build-up of the mystery was more compelling than the actual reveal. Which is pretty common for mysterious stories, tbh.
Jun 16, 2021 1:41 AM

Dec 2015
By good fortune I have never liked coffee.
Jun 17, 2021 8:44 AM
Jul 2020
Ho lee faq what an episode! Gotta agree with some of u about the info dump but it's still an amazing episode nonetheless! 5/5

This show deserves an 8+ ngl, way too underrated and underwatched
laaalaJun 17, 2021 8:48 AM
Jun 19, 2021 5:39 AM

Oct 2007
Kate starting to become my favorite character in this show. She shows kindness to her living doll even if Kate thinks they will never make to the exit. Even if she is a shadow, Kate thinks the Grandfather is evil.. that is also why she is likeable for me.
Jun 20, 2021 2:22 PM

May 2018
Finally received an explanation of exactly what the shadows are. Parasites, with rather sinister intent.

I got Jim Jones vibes when the faces drank the Kool-Aid coffee. Grandfather's soot is better than cyanide.

"Are you intoxicated, or just insane?"
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shadows House Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 3, 2021

148 by Ratris_Decision »»
Dec 6, 2023 12:45 AM

Poll: » Shadows House Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2021

190 by Ratris_Decision »»
Dec 2, 2023 9:58 PM

» I hate Barbie For Eternity.

KhoaVN - Oct 27, 2023

9 by ichihito »»
Nov 9, 2023 4:28 PM

Poll: » Shadows House Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2021

125 by _kukiyomenai »»
Jul 15, 2023 6:47 PM

Poll: » Shadows House Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 22, 2021

62 by _kukiyomenai »»
Jul 15, 2023 2:25 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.