Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
No Game No Life (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 4, 2021 9:59 AM

Jan 2021
When ever i see a forum about a negative view on anime (ex:Least favorite anime). I always see someone put no game no life. I don't really get the hate this show was pretty good in my opinion. Is fanservice really that bad or am i missing something?
Just watch anime instead of looking at forums
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 4, 2021 10:09 AM

Jun 2016
My biggest gripe are the games. For a show all about settling your differences by playing games I found those sequences to be incredibly underwhelming and lacking suspense.
Or maybe they're good and I'm nust too used to Kaiji.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jun 4, 2021 10:13 AM

Nov 2020
Clobbopus said:
When ever i see a forum about a negative view on anime (ex:Least favorite anime). I always see someone put no game no life. I don't really get the hate this show was pretty good in my opinion. Is fanservice really that bad or am i missing something?

Hmmm not sure. I’m at usually someone who loves most of the anime I watch. There are very few anime I have actually disliked. By no means am I trying to say this show is bad, but I think this was not something that suited my taste. I have so many friends who love this show and as you can see clearly the rating is very high considering the amount of members it has. However, If I have to say what made me dislike this show, I would say the relation between the brother and sister made me uncomfortable and the animation although praised by the mass, it hurt my eyes. I didn’t really get hooked to the story that much. Again I am not trying to be toxic or hating on it. I’m just trying to say why this wasn’t something I personally got into.
Na, Hashiru No Suki Ka?

Jun 4, 2021 10:17 AM
Mar 2021
Theo1899 said:
My biggest gripe are the games. For a show all about settling your differences by playing games I found those sequences to be incredibly underwhelming and lacking suspense.
Or maybe they're good and I'm nust too used to Kaiji.
if you read kaiji you should for sure read usogui you'll love it
Jun 4, 2021 10:21 AM

Dec 2019
the story, the characters, the games, the fanservice, I just did not like any of it in my opinion.
Jun 4, 2021 10:26 AM

Jul 2015
I don't, but while we're at it, I'll gube my hit take regarding this show.

I never really liked it. Maybe it's because it was one of the first anime I have ever watched, and it's not really a gateway anime.

Jun 4, 2021 10:37 AM
Jul 2018
I actually thought this anime was quite decent. I didn’t find it as great as some fans were saying it was, but an enjoyable experience nonetheless
Jun 4, 2021 10:37 AM
Apr 2020
Idk it was kinda boring
Jun 4, 2021 10:52 AM
Nov 2020
The fanservice annoyed me tbh. That's my main problem. The games weren't that interesting either.
Jun 4, 2021 11:01 AM
May 2020
For me, it was the fanservice and the characters. The show sexualized the characters way too much, even Shiro who was only 11 years old. I'm not big on fanservice but I usually don't care if it's there, as long as it's placed appropriately. NGNL ruined characters and storytelling because of its placement of fanservice. Poor Stephanie just wanted good things for her kingdom, but not only was she constantly bullied by the two MCs, she was sexualized at every chance, it was just annoying to watch. It's a shame because Stephanie was surprisingly the only character I liked. Both of the MCs were cocky jerks whose only personality trait was "we're good at playing games" and then acted like they were superior to everyone else by bullying and insulting them, especially Stephanie. I didn't really care about any of the characters or the story because my problems with the anime kept coming up again and again.
Jun 4, 2021 12:26 PM

Aug 2020
Its just not that good
Jun 4, 2021 12:28 PM
Aug 2020
NGNL isn’t a show I hate per se, but it’s one that I was very underwhelmed by. The main reasons for my general dislike of the show are the uncomfortable levels of fan-service/sexualisation and the unlikable protagonists. At no point did I feel invested in them as characters, their goals or the way they attempt to achieve these.

It’s more memorable than other shows I’ve not been a fan of, but I don’t have much desire to revisit it.
Jun 4, 2021 12:30 PM

Feb 2020
trust me its because of harem, ecchi ,incest etc. if it was a staight it would have been more loved.
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Jun 4, 2021 12:51 PM
Feb 2021
I absolutely love the soundtrack and the art style of the animation, but the story is boring and predictable, all the female characters only exist for the sake of pleasing the male lead, including his 11 year old sister
The personality of the characters is either annoying or boring, and don't get me started on the excessive and unnecessary fanservice, imo that's one of the worst things in this anime
Jun 4, 2021 12:56 PM
May 2021
Clobbopus said:
you can’t explain why people hate on things my man, haters gotta hate
Jun 4, 2021 12:58 PM

Jan 2021
It has too much fan service and it’s just plain garbage . That’s perfectly good reason to hate this show.
Jun 4, 2021 1:42 PM
Feb 2021
It’s not bad by any means but I do wish it wasn’t as fanservice-y as it presents itself to be. I know from the Light Novels that this aspect doesn’t really change and it’s a real shame because I do like the worldbuilding and Sora/Shiro beyond that. In terms of quality it’s the one flaw that stops me from rating it an 8/10.
UlbertSnowJun 4, 2021 1:47 PM
Jun 4, 2021 1:47 PM
Mar 2021
sexualized Shiro who is an 11 year old, and thats pretty much it
Jun 4, 2021 1:59 PM
Apr 2021
I enjoyed it mostly, especially the live chess game and the one with the flugal (sp?) where whatever they said was added or removed from the area.

I wasn't keen on the relationship between the two siblings, although in fairness they're not actually blood relatives but even so it was a tad cringey. The other thing I didn't like was the way the siblings constantly bullied, ridiculed and humiliated Steph as it was an unnecessary addition to the story.
Jun 4, 2021 2:43 PM

Oct 2015
I didn't like this anime and I am still stunned it has such a cult following. The characters were obnoxious, introverted NEETS with no life skills but get transported to a world where they can be awesome and overpowered because they play lots of video games. A scenario I assume made to resonate with neckbeards and leetspeakers. The comedy was about as funny as something written by a 14-year-old. The fanservice was gross but sexualising children, and bullying and sexually assaulting women are par for the course in these types of anime since they're targeting neckbeards. The character designs are ugly as shit. The art and animation was so loud it looked like someone shook a bowl of Froot Loops for 23 minutes straight every week. Ugh!

I dropped it before any harem stuff started but of course it became a harem. I mean why wouldn't it? It was already trashy in every other regard, why not add a harem too? Another strike against it. All in all this was a 4Chan anime through and through.
Jun 4, 2021 2:49 PM
Aug 2011
Clobbopus said:

Some of the games were good. But it has a lot of structural issues that make it a not very interesting series.

Firstly, there's a very obvious plot structure where in each arc the main hero is 'collecting' an extra girl and he's basically growing a harem. Then they have the bath scene where his girl-collection gets all wet and lathered up. Yes, he's "conquering" new territory, but we don't really see any of that territory. The gains in territory are symbolically gained whenever he gets a new sexy 11 year old girl in his girl collection. Then, there's the next major game, he collects another girl, we get another bath scene. Rinse (the suds off the loli) and repeat.

As for the bath scenes, well this is a light novel series where each volume is centered on him gaining a new girl. One problem these series have is that each subsequent novel has an ever-growing amount of girls, but each girl has fans so they ALL have to appear in the later novels. In such series, volume 1 probably had 1-2 girl and the MC but by 10 volumes in, you have 11-12 girls and the MC. So how do they deal with this? They basically do "cameo appearances" to limit the new girl's stage time and thus not clog up the new book's main story. A Certain Magical Index has brief cameo appearances of older book's main girls, while Monogatari has the hero solving a mystery for "new girl" and he has conversations with a range of other girls over the course of the novel, each one giving clues: all those girls were once the Main Girl of their own volume. Additionally, you can notice the breaks in volume because after each big fight these novel-based anime will have a scene where everyone's mysteriously back in their base or doing daily life activities. That scene is actually the opening scene of the subsequent novel, explaining the sudden jump in tone. What NGNL seemingly decided to do was that at the start of each novel the girls are all having a bubble bath so they manage to fit in their female side-character cameos along with sexy bath times. This is 'fan' service on more than one level. And given what I know about how other light-novel animes are structured, it's the only explanation that makes those scenes make sense in context.

Not that I'm even complaining about the fan service. I really like highschool DxD and To Love Ru. But those shows mix it up a lot more. NGNL is very repetitively structured.

Additionally, the plot itself doesn't lend itself to ANY surprises or plot twists: Sora is challenged to a game, he ass pulls a win, he defeats the enemy. Has loli bath time with his new girl + friends, then it's the next game challenge. Which Sora ALWAYS wins. Basically the entire premise of the story precludes any sort of dynamic plot event from even happening. the only 'twist' that the story structure even allows is to make it look like Sora is losing a game then to ass-pull a last minute victory out of the game using information that the audience wasn't given.

Lastly: they're written into a corner, even if it was completely constrained by the premise itself. The tension in the games comes from the idea that each game is a razor-edge where if the heroes lose the game, they lose everything. Thus, there's no room to be surprised by any outcome and no room for character growth or development. So if you like zero character development, this is THE series for you.
cipheronJun 4, 2021 3:31 PM
Jun 4, 2021 5:48 PM
Apr 2021
Just the over the top glowing color in the animation
Jun 4, 2021 6:21 PM
May 2020
I found it annoyingly arrogant. It was quite a while ago when I watched it but this was before I had ever interacted with any anime community so I had never had any impression about the show beforehand just somehow I found out about and I had crunchyroll so I watched it. And the shows premise was that it’s so clever and the main characters are geniuses which word really well for some shows like death note but I just found out everything in the show to just be utter nonsense. And so when they added the ecchi on top of that it felt to me as if the show was proclaiming that it was so amazing it could write in whatever ecchi plot point it wanted and because the rest of the writing is so clever it doesn’t matter how forced it feels it’s too good of a show to matter. By the time it had finished I didn’t realised it was the end of the season and as I had no interactions with anyone who had watched anime I thought everyone else also thought it was so crap and it performed so badly they stopped animating it mid season. It was only years later when I had found out it was actually really popular. On the plus side it did introduce me to hentai.

But besides all that I’ve thought about rewatching it since compared to how much anime I’ve watched now I had watched almost nothing so perhaps my opinion would change.
Jun 4, 2021 7:52 PM
Jan 2021
The show is fairly adequate it has its flaws. I don't hate it perse but I certainly did not love it. My main problem with the show is the visuals itself. It just hurts my eyes in some scenes. Another thing the I dislike is the games itself. For a gambling-esk anime, I didn't feel the suspense.
Jun 4, 2021 7:54 PM
Oct 2019
Don’t really hate it just find it boring. It’s got good animation and music but the story is just not for me.
Jun 4, 2021 8:01 PM

Sep 2020
Not into kids being sexualized
Jun 4, 2021 8:02 PM

Oct 2020
Because there is no announcement of Season 2 :(

Jun 4, 2021 8:15 PM
Jul 2018
the fanservice and the Dola Molestation are the prime reasons and sometimes i feel that Sora is talking dumb but i have to consider him smort coz you know the PLOT
ᕦ⊙෴⊙ᕤ
Jun 4, 2021 8:19 PM
Jul 2018
sailor_saffy said:
For me, it was the fanservice and the characters. The show sexualized the characters way too much, even Shiro who was only 11 years old. I'm not big on fanservice but I usually don't care if it's there, as long as it's placed appropriately. NGNL ruined characters and storytelling because of its placement of fanservice. Poor Stephanie just wanted good things for her kingdom, but not only was she constantly bullied by the two MCs, she was sexualized at every chance, it was just annoying to watch. It's a shame because Stephanie was surprisingly the only character I liked. Both of the MCs were cocky jerks whose only personality trait was "we're good at playing games" and then acted like they were superior to everyone else by bullying and insulting them, especially Stephanie. I didn't really care about any of the characters or the story because my problems with the anime kept coming up again and again.
that's the actual freaking thing ( ╹▽╹ )
Jun 4, 2021 8:24 PM
Jan 2021
I dunno I thought the show would be a little bigger. It's a lot of talking about the game and not actually playing the game. I feel like it should have tried to have more fun with itself. The animation style is pretty cool tho.
Jun 4, 2021 8:38 PM

Sep 2014
It has everything that made SAO hated, but worse. I've seen countless anime with a MAL score below 6.50 with a better story and characters. This show doesn't make any sense. The character is supposed to be smart, but is actually cheating all the times or the rules are constantly changing which remove the whole point of a duel. This show also has one of the most obnoxious fanservice I've ever seen. And the art was so bad that I was always feeling nauseous while watching it. One of the most deserved 1s from my list.

The cult following this anime is the biggest mystery of anime.
Jun 4, 2021 8:40 PM
Jan 2019
Parts of it were pretty cringe and excessive BUT I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve rewatched this series in the mere space of months.
That’s how much I deadass like it. It’s cheeky and those lil weirdoes are some Jaw dropping game changers yo.
Jun 4, 2021 9:05 PM
Feb 2018
From the 4 episodes I got through, it felt to me like it wanted to come off like such a big brain show, but the way they solve problems was like pretty lame to me
Jun 4, 2021 10:15 PM
Oct 2017
The fanservice is really annoying '-'
Jun 4, 2021 10:24 PM
Mar 2021
Well there are things that I like about this show but I do consider it quite overrated
Jun 4, 2021 10:26 PM
May 2021
I don't hate it. Found it very enjoyable and Jibril is bae, but kinda lost interest in it as it ended with no conclusion and the games didn't make much sense.
Jun 4, 2021 10:42 PM

Jan 2021
I enjoyed the show...
Jun 4, 2021 10:44 PM
Dec 2018
I enjoy Yugioh! Ss0 than this

Watch the classics, because there's a reason they become classics
Jun 5, 2021 2:08 AM

Dec 2020
It was pretty good

🌸Profile: Here🌸 👹Anime List: Here👹 👺Manga List: Here👺

Jun 5, 2021 3:09 AM
Jan 2021
the games aren't very engaging too me and the weird sexualisation of a girl that's meant to be like 12 or maybe even younger makes me like the show even less
Jun 5, 2021 4:53 AM

Mar 2020
Because I don’t like looking at naked 11 year olds.
Jun 5, 2021 6:25 AM
Feb 2021
it's not bad fine for me not much
Jun 5, 2021 6:27 AM

Jul 2020
If it wasn't for the fanservice I would've started watching and completed it by now.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Jun 5, 2021 8:14 AM
May 2020
I wouldn't say I hate the show but some issues I had with it was that the premise/plot was pretty basic in that you beat others to move higher up and that Shiro as a character was really annoying. Also at some parts it looked like Madhouse animators didn't have enough money to make it look better from what I remember.
Jun 5, 2021 10:23 AM
Mar 2021
Because it didn’t end
Jun 5, 2021 7:31 PM
Jun 2020
bro the movie is soooo good even compared to the normal series the good has so many concept and moral I almost cry when the protagonist said "God why did you gave me a heart to suffer"
Jun 5, 2021 8:21 PM

Jan 2021
I don't hate this show at all, in fact I love it.
Jun 5, 2021 8:27 PM

Oct 2020
Because it was made to promote the manga. IMO, it's a very entertaining show, but it pisses me off every time I see it because I know they'll never finish it. I mean how can you NOT make another season to a show that was THIS popular? It gets a lot of haters, but the majority of the community loved this anime. So until they announce a second season, it's on my sh*t list.
Jun 5, 2021 9:15 PM
Jul 2018
I don't hate it but I don't like it either.
Jun 6, 2021 1:17 AM
Jan 2021
Incest probably , and it Just ends like yeah that's all , pretty much it , nothing more to see here , go home now .
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 14, 2014

705 by Bienard »»
May 12, 6:30 AM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Cheesekao - Jun 25, 2014

1022 by NoFaceCastle »»
May 3, 11:14 PM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 16, 2014

510 by SanessyAdversary »»
Apr 30, 10:10 PM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2014

623 by hsallrounder »»
Apr 28, 5:41 AM

» No Game No Life’s Original Creator Pleads For A Second Season Of The Anime ( 1 2 )

deg - Apr 10

58 by Animeistaken »»
Apr 24, 8:33 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.