Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 6, 2021 6:35 PM

Jul 2019
I saw another post saying the DVD/Blu-ray sales flopped (for the first week), however the movie has done perfectly fine at the box office.

According to boxofficemojo and the-numbers, the movie has grossed a bit over 3,665,000 dollars.

For a movie that clearly has lower budget than Babylonia anime episodes, this is probably a fine success! It is now the 4th most successful Fate movie. UBW (by Studio Deen) made 3.2 million dollars and Oath Under Snow made a bit over 1.1 million.

Meanwhile, the 3 Heaven's Feel movies did suuuper well at 20 million dollars each. They're probably somewhere in the top 100-200 highest grossing anime movies!

Edit: I also would like to include that Fate has now become the 18th most successful anime movie franchise of all time.
RojasebMay 7, 2021 5:42 PM
May 7, 2021 12:32 AM
Jul 2020
That's very good, but would have been much better if advertised well
May 7, 2021 4:37 AM

Jul 2019
Type_Alter said:
That's very good, but would have been much better if advertised well

Yeah literally everyone plays FGO in Japan
May 7, 2021 4:54 AM
May 7, 2021 3:35 PM

Jul 2019
May 7, 2021 5:23 PM

Jan 2019
I knew it, the movie was actually very successful. Never trust MAL reviews.

For info like this is why I keep coming back to this forums. Thank you OP.
May 8, 2021 2:15 PM
Apr 2016
man that's great! i just watched and it was awesome. i really liked it. Excited for the next part
May 14, 2021 7:00 PM

Jan 2009
dude no, this just barely above the break-even point if considering the movie budget is 2 million USD per movie on this one plus all the marketing cost

and as you said compared to ufotable Fate movies that made 20 million each this is lol bad for such a popular franchise
May 14, 2021 7:25 PM

Jul 2019
deg said:
dude no, this just barely above the break-even point if considering the movie budget is 2 million USD per movie on this one plus all the marketing cost

and as you said compared to ufotable Fate movies that made 20 million each this is lol bad for such a popular franchise

Well it still has a couple more months of screening. It's currently at 4 million. Plus the DVD/BD sales. It's also an advertising movie for the game and the sequel movie will give it another boost.

I think 2 million for the budget is a bit off since it didn't have that much action. I would say 1.5 million
May 14, 2021 7:29 PM

Jan 2009
Rojaseb said:
deg said:

Well it still has a couple more months of screening. It's currently at 4 million. Plus the DVD/BD sales. It's also an advertising movie for the game and the sequel movie will give it another boost.

I think 2 million for the budget is a bit off since it didn't have that much action. I would say 1.5 million

well see but the thing about sales be it discs (DVD/BD) and movie tickets is that the first few weeks are very important since later weeks will have drastic decline in sales
May 14, 2021 8:13 PM

Jul 2019
deg said:
Rojaseb said:

well see but the thing about sales be it discs (DVD/BD) and movie tickets is that the first few weeks are very important since later weeks will have drastic decline in sales

yes but that only applies to Japan, the more countries the movie gets to the more money it keeps making regardless of how long it has been shown in theaters
May 14, 2021 8:23 PM

Jan 2009
Rojaseb said:
deg said:

yes but that only applies to Japan, the more countries the movie gets to the more money it keeps making regardless of how long it has been shown in theaters

i think you lack knowledge of how sales work lol but ok well see again since usually movie ticket sales on other countries are lesser than in Japan by a huge margin

even Demon Slayer only got $40 million movie ticket sales in USA and maybe 80-100 million worldwide (none Japan) overall compared to $300 million in Japan
May 14, 2021 8:43 PM

Jul 2019
deg said:
usually movie ticket sales on other countries are lesser than in Japan by a huge margin

nope if a movie gets to be shown in China it's already a big boost, and the cumulative earnings of other countries can easily match or beat the domestic earnings in Japan

If you don't believe it you can just check for yourself. Kimetsu is a bad example because the rest of the world doesn't handle the pandemic as well as Japan.

Compare the highest grossing anime movies with their domestic earnings in Japan (first and second tables):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_anime_films

May 14, 2021 8:49 PM

Jan 2009
Rojaseb said:
deg said:
usually movie ticket sales on other countries are lesser than in Japan by a huge margin

nope if a movie gets to be shown in China it's already a big boost, and the cumulative earnings of other countries can easily match or beat the domestic earnings in Japan

If you don't believe it you can just check for yourself. Kimetsu is a bad example because the rest of the world doesn't handle the pandemic as well as Japan.

Compare the highest grossing anime movies with their domestic earnings in Japan (first and second tables):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_anime_films

ok sure i forgot about China but is there any news of China releasing this on movie theaters? i thought the China only release the movie on their streaming platforms? since the pirated fansub i gotten from NyaaTorrents was a WebRip from a Chinese streaming site
May 14, 2021 8:53 PM

Jul 2019
@deg dude you're almost at 66666 posts lmao

you're about to get either really cursed or really blessed
May 14, 2021 8:58 PM

Jan 2009
Rojaseb said:
@deg dude you're almost at 66666 posts lmao

you're about to get either really cursed or really blessed

lol i just got no life im already cursed

anyway im curious of those China sales you are anticipating so do update this thread about that
May 14, 2021 9:27 PM

Jul 2019
deg said:
anyway im curious of those China sales you are anticipating so do update this thread about that

I have no idea where to find a breakdown like that lmao You probably need to know Japanese to find those

All I know is that they're planning to screen the movie for like 2 more months but I don't know which countries they're planning to get to
Jul 11, 2021 10:55 PM
Sep 2015
damn, why did the movie flop?
Jul 12, 2021 12:11 PM

Jul 2019
NovaMagic said:
damn, why did the movie flop?

It didn't flop

But it didn't do better because they didn't advertise it more and it wasn't shown in that many theaters

More topics from this board

» Why is the King Aurthor here different from the Saber we know?

NeverGoneXD - Oct 8, 2021

10 by Mathi786 »»
Jan 30, 12:56 AM

» Watch order

RuneRem - Jun 3, 2022

9 by Sol_Ou »»
Oct 6, 2023 7:50 PM

Poll: » Fate/Grand Order: Shinsei Entaku Ryouiki Camelot 1 - Wandering; Agateram Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kisaragi - Dec 30, 2020

55 by Yukikaze_01 »»
Aug 25, 2023 3:43 AM

» Is it necessary to watch this Movie before Fate/Grand Order: Absolute Demonic Front - Babylonia

Barry_Allen_14 - Feb 3, 2022

6 by Spoopy69 »»
Feb 4, 2022 11:18 PM

» What happened to Production IG?

Reshiram_IX - May 16, 2021

5 by LorenGill »»
Jun 16, 2021 8:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.