Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
86--EIGHTY-SIX (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 1, 2021 8:28 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh man, Annette can be scary when she's not in a good mood.

I kinda like hows this episode/show takes on the nature of death. Lena has to accept the past already but it's difficult to move on. This episode had more of its psychological moments more than its usual fight on the frontlines.

Solid soundtrack as usual, can't wait for the OST to come out.
May 1, 2021 8:29 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
We got to see a bit of the Spearhead’s perspective of last week’s rant from Theo. Damn, they really replaced Kaie with Daiya in the OP XD

Seems like every episode will have an anime-original segment, lol. The whole segment with Theo at the start of the episode wasn’t in the novel. But I’m glad that they have gave Theo a bit more screen time here. Even Lena’s segment before contacting Shin was anime-original too. We got a bit of a tease for Lena’s flashback, but it seems like the anime’s not covering that until later. I really liked the scene where Lena’s memories of Theo’s rants drowned out the sounds of the news report.

It’s interesting how they handled the scene with Shin and Lena. Unlike the novel, the conversation was completely from Lena’s perspective. Not that it matters much, since Shin perspective never really added much to that conversation. There’s a lot more that also gets brought up in that discussion, but they’ll leave that for the next episode, if the end of the episode is any indication. And Lena's conversation with the rest of the Spearhead happened in the same night, rather than the morning after. A nice way to end the episode with, and leave the second-half of the conversation with Shin for the next episode.

This episode didn’t even cover the rest of Chapter 3. Since a huge-portion of this episode was anime-original, this episode adapted not many pages, lol. Like actually, after calculating, this episode only covered 6% of the first volume. At this rate, we are definitely only covering volume 1 in this season. I’m not complaining, the first volume had a lot going on, so it’s nice to see it being adapted this slowly.
May 1, 2021 8:30 AM

Mar 2016
What an ominous ending to this episode.
We finally get to see glimpses of Shin’s onii-chan, Shourei Nouzen. The way shin stopped in his tracks and memories flashed on his mind when Lena mentioned him. They nailed it.
Shishou_23May 1, 2021 8:34 AM
May 1, 2021 8:33 AM

Apr 2015
GoldenDevilGamer said:

This episode didn’t even cover the rest of Chapter 3. Since a huge-portion of this episode was anime-original, this episode adapted not many pages, lol. Like actually, after calculating, this episode only covered 6% of the first volume. At this rate, we are definitely only covering volume 1 in this season. I’m not complaining, the first volume had a lot going on, so it’s nice to see it being adapted this slowly.

Yea they're adding so much extra scene to flesh out characterization & relationships. Like that entire river bank scenery didn't even exist in the books. I very much love what they're doing here. They recognize that the characters and the rift between them is centre topic and they give it so much extra time & care.
May 1, 2021 8:34 AM

Feb 2019
Another week. Another 86 saturday. I know some people were disappointed we didn’t get more of the spearhead squadron’s perspective of the events of last episode, but I think the way they handled it was fine. Leaving it to the imagination works well.

Loved how they handled the final third of the episode as well with Lena writing down the names of the squad and her conversation with Shin. Sawano blessed us with another 10/10 ED track too. Then the really unique visualisation of Shin’s trauma there at the end. Very well done.

My only complaint with the episode was them not showing Kaie’s death on screen. I think she deserved more than that. Especially since the anime made her a really big part of the first few eps.

We’re continuing with the great pace, I don’t think we’re through chapter 3 yet. The anime original content continues to elevate the LN material as well. Adding great characterisation and world building. Thank you A-1. Let’s keep it up
Marinate1016May 1, 2021 8:48 AM
May 1, 2021 8:54 AM

Apr 2015
Marinate1016 said:

My only complaint with the episode was them not showing Kaie’s death on screen. I think she deserved more than that. Especially since the anime made her a really big part of the first few eps.

I think the show gave her a far better send off by focusing on how the characters are impacted by it and what her loss creates going forward instead of spending time on the death again just for the sake of imagery. Much like the tags shin collects it's about moving forward while taking the memories of them along the journey
May 1, 2021 8:55 AM

Feb 2019
Fappa said:
Marinate1016 said:

I think the show gave her a far better send off by focusing on how the characters are impacted by it and what her loss creates going forward instead of spending time on the death again just for the sake of imagery. Much like the tags shin collects it's about moving forward while taking the memories of them along the journey

I mean yea, that’s what they were going for. Doesn’t mean that would be my preferred directorial choice.
May 1, 2021 9:01 AM

Mar 2016
Fappa said:
Marinate1016 said:

There is something that’s kinda plot relevant about showing her death. They’re taking liberties here, so I’m not sure if there is a chance to show it later.
Shishou_23May 1, 2021 9:04 AM
May 1, 2021 9:05 AM
Apr 2019
Shishou_23 said:
Fappa said:

There is something that’s kinda plot relevant about showing her death. They’re taking liberties here, so I’m not sure if there is a chance to show it later.
Maybe they'll show this as a flashback then.
May 1, 2021 9:06 AM

Apr 2015
Shishou_23 said:

Considering that
May 1, 2021 9:11 AM

Jan 2018
Can't they just stick with the source material and stop with anime-original scenes... So far the LN is way more enjoyable
BARK BARK BARK ARRRGGFFF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK HSSSSSSSSS SNIFF SNIFF GRRRRR RUFF RUFF WOOF WOOF WOOF SNARL BITE BITE BARK CHOMP SNIFF SNIFF GRRRRRRRRRR RUFF WOOF BARK BARK BARK BARK ARGGGHHFFFF BITE BITE BITE WOOF HSSSSSSS GRRRROWWWL HOWLLL WOOF WOOF BARK BARK BARK ARGGGGRRRFFF BITE WOOF WOOFBARK BARK HSSSS CHOMP GRRRRR
May 1, 2021 9:15 AM
Mar 2016
SoukaTheReal said:
Can't they just stick with the source material and stop with anime-original scenes... So far the LN is way more enjoyable

Well at least it's not a disaster like other (ln/vn) adaptations, Rewrite and umineko for example
May 1, 2021 9:59 AM

Jun 2019
That was a great episode imo. I must praise Lena for having the guts to ask them their names after all that happened. But, it wasn't her fault, to begin with. It's the world they live in. But, I'm glad that everything got resolved in the end and they were happy that they were asked their names by their handler. Looks like we're going to look into Undertaker's story now and his brother's relation with all that.
May 1, 2021 10:02 AM

Jul 2015
We got to see Spearhead Squadron viewpoint this episode like I kind of thought last week.

They are adding anime original scenes,I like that characters are being fleshed out due to this.

We got to see a bit of Shourei too.

Also Lena Shin conversation too was well done.

May 1, 2021 10:10 AM

Jul 2019
Great episode, they didn't show Kaie's perspective but it wasn't a bad choice imo. They focused more on the aftermath of that.

More extra scenes... nice.
May 1, 2021 10:12 AM

Nov 2015
So Kaie got kicked by Lowe from the side huh? Well, I'm really disappointed that they only show short clip of her last moment. Super disappointed if I must say... but with this Kaie 'complete' part, I can finally declare that "Focus the entire previous episode on Kaie life up until her death moments by reduce or remove the Lena PoV part" would probably works better. Yeah, as one of Kaie fans I'm really disappointed that her death is underwhelming.

But, aside from that, I like the rest of the episode.

Also, Shourei have red hair? I thought he have black hair... LN reread time~.
May 1, 2021 10:15 AM
Oct 2016
Dealing with the tragedy of last episode Lena having to come to grips with how she's been a handler thus far. We do see a major change in Lena this episode since she's now seen how much more she can do. Having that memory of her father dying in the eighth sixth district when she was a child and now her uncle saying how she's not really been doing anything to help them. I love how this story shows both sides very well, even going right up till they're joined in the same scene. Showing the rest of spearhead the next day mostly having business as usual with Theo kinda regretting how he phrased those words to Lena. With she has been having a moral crisis about what Theo said to her. Leading to that great scene with Lena calling Shin saying how she feels awful about her treatment of them even inadvertently. Asking about all their real names which was sweet, writing the names down. Talking to everyone again with a few like Theo and Raiden speaking their mind about the true feelings they've had towards Lena placating so much. I think its good to let all this out so hopefully they can start anew, Lena isn't their equal or comrade but I think she can do some good in that screwed up world if they all work together.
May 1, 2021 10:21 AM

Mar 2016
Fappa said:
Shishou_23 said:

Considering that

That could very well be the case, and I hope they show that. The fact they’re taking liberties in adding scenes and shuffling them means they can work around it, but we’ll see in the future.
May 1, 2021 10:26 AM
Apr 2016
So we're 4 episodes in and they apparently still haven't covered even the 1st volume? Damn, that's the first time I see this (except for Grimgar, maybe). It seems they're really trying to not rush or skip anything.

Too bad other LN adaptations don't get the same kind of treatment... Like MT last season.
May 1, 2021 10:29 AM

Nov 2016
Disappoiting that we didn't get a bit of battlefield side this episode. There's still time for that in the future, but lame that we didn't get to see Kaie's death.

Ok, instead we got more character development for Lena. We know where she has her idealism from and she's more aware of her position now. It can't be compared with what Shin went through. She should try to focus on what she can add to the squad, that would be the best for all.

Pretty good episode again.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 1, 2021 10:29 AM

Oct 2018
So the entire episode was basically a YouTuber apology video. They didn't even go into detail about how Kaie died other than showing a split-second clash with the enemy lowe. I would have liked to see more but it seems A-1's treatment of the 86 is no better than San Magnolia's. It's hard for me to feel anything for these guys.

May 1, 2021 10:31 AM

Dec 2014
This is fantastic, this show has slowly become my favorite of the season. Great episode again.

Characters like Lena are the ones I tend to love the most. Characters who stick to their ideals even if they are admonished for them, even though they know that they can't change the world by themselves, they can't afford to give up on those ideals cause if they did, it would be a disservice to everything they stood for. They learn from the mistakes they made and make an effort to improve themselves, the little changes and the little personal battles you fight are the ones that mean the most. Character like Lena are the best way to show uncompromising human integrity in the face of overwhelming social pressure, the entire sequence of her asking Shin for the names of everyone in the unit was touching and beautiful. Easily, my favorite part of the episode.

The cut into the ED was amazing. Soundtrack before it was great too.

So Lena knows Shin's brother, interesting. I'm kinda wishing we got to know the name of the commander the squad was talking about, maybe Lena knows that person too.
May 1, 2021 10:32 AM
Jul 2018
Glad that they're taking their time with this, that's all I have to say. Great scenes like Lena taking initiative and the sidewalk scenes really stuck in with me
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
The direction in this episode has been especially great, first episode where i truly felt that this show is gonna go places.

Jul 2015
I don't know what LN readers are complaining about.. i personally am freaking loving this direction.. and the way everyone is reacting in this episode.. no cliche..
i think 86 peeps know that Lena may be an Alba but she isn't a bad person.. also.. was Lena writing in English LMAO.. they are not going low on stereotyping the Britians as Alba xD
also.. loved the way they handled the ED in today's episode.. Lena looked so freaking badass!
May 1, 2021 10:34 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Given what just happened Theo's rage is certainly understandable. On top of that the manner in which their previous controllers and society treating them like crap only added fuel to the fire. Poor Kaie though. More than anything seeing the staggering contrasts between the inner world and the outer world only serves to show just how warped the republic actually is. Lena's persistence in forging bonds with the squadron though really paid off. By knowing their names her heart will become ever stronger. Inscribing the names of the deceased to carry with you was a nice idea given that they couldn't carve them on to the memorials. But man the amount of comrades that Shin has lost since the war began was staggering. The apology and the honest talk that Lena had with the squadron though was heartening. While they won't see her as an equal at least the relationship between them is now a better one. Overall a pretty emotionally charged ep that contrasted well with not only the distorted world view that Alba view the world with but also one that exposed the fragile heart that Lena had.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 1, 2021 10:34 AM

Oct 2017
Undertaker's burden's a heavy one, I feel for the guy. Mirizé was great in this episode, she didn't run away and faced em properly.
May 1, 2021 10:35 AM

Aug 2020
episode focused more on the interelationships rather then the action and i really like that, it was nice to see them get closer and I like how the processors are being straight with Lena and talking to her like they are equals.

Undertaker had a really creepy smile at the end there, wonder what the deal with his brother is.
clannad is the greatest piece of fiction to ever exist.
May 1, 2021 10:38 AM

Jul 2017
The anime-original stuff this episode actually has been beneficial, and adding a lot of characterization overall to the whole cast and fleshing out more about the politics and mentality of the Republic itself. The visuals may not be a 10/10 with every frame, but I just love the directing work and the slow pacing, with adding background noise that actually serves as a beneficiary for the show as a whole. Excellent episode.
May 1, 2021 10:38 AM
Apr 2021
I really like this episode but I really want the Dubversion.
May 1, 2021 10:39 AM

Jan 2021
I would have liked to have seen more of Kaie's death but in the perspective of the 86
It was quite interesting the little flashback she had, I wonder if there is more story in her past
I'm glad, finally all sorted out and a formal introduction from everyone
Shin's brother? How would Lena know him? 0.0
May 1, 2021 10:40 AM

Aug 2020
Their feelings are completely understandable, glad she doesn't go cry about that.
May 1, 2021 10:43 AM
Jul 2018
a great long shot at the river scene too
May 1, 2021 10:50 AM

Jun 2014
This whole episode really highlighted how hard Kaie's death is affecting Lena. I especially enjoyed that scene where Lena was standing on the sidewalk remembering Theo's words from the beginning of the episode, while simultaneously hearing the lady on the broadcast talking about how there was minimal damage on the battlefield with no human fatalities. I liked the added affect of having the voices become more and more distorted, it really made that scene more powerful. Lena continues to try and establish an actual bond with the processors, getting all of their real names. The ending was interesting too, as it seems like we might learn more about Undertaker's brother soon.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

May 1, 2021 10:54 AM

Dec 2014
The music tho topnotch as always..
May 1, 2021 10:57 AM
Feb 2021
It’s becoming better each episode. Happy about it 😁
May 1, 2021 11:00 AM

Jul 2020
ThousandCuts said:
So the entire episode was basically a YouTuber apology video. They didn't even go into detail about how Kaie died other than showing a split-second clash with the enemy lowe. I would have liked to see more but it seems A-1's treatment of the 86 is no better than San Magnolia's. It's hard for me to feel anything for these guys.

LMAO, though I don't agree, great analogy anyways lmao.
I gave up on character of the week since it takes too much thinking. I'll just change my forum pfp to whoever I want every week lol.
May 1, 2021 11:04 AM

Mar 2020
The small actions can turn out to have a great impact. Just by asking the names of the 86 directly one can tell Lena is trying her best to communicate and better understand them.
May 1, 2021 11:17 AM
May 2008
Goosepumps from the begging to the end. Lena really starts to grow ow me. She is becomming a really nice character people can realy sympathize with.

I loved how she asked them personally their names, so it's way more honest this way.

I kinda have an off feeling regarding Shin. There was something how he stopped and his smile by the end had some sort of nasty feeling for me. But I can't put my hands on what was fishy. We''ll have to wait and see I guess! :)

5/5 episode naturally.
May 1, 2021 11:18 AM

Jul 2017
Another death of the 86 with Kaie's death, and even with Laughing Fox Theo's rant, every death is insignificant in the eyes of the White Pigs, even if Lena tries to lend her sympathy because she's simply part of the Republic, and acting almighty isn't cutting her true intentions.

It's easy to see from Annette's view that all she sees is a lab and some pudding, but that's not what Lena is aiming for, given her backstory with her deceased father in the same district that houses the Undertaker Shin and others: 86. War may be stupid, but humanity is even more stupid if no action is taken, and the depth of Lena's uncle's words (not to mention Theo's rant) is staggering, not to mention powerful dialogue.

The first step of reconciliation between Lena and the 86 (starting from Undertaker Shin): knowing each and every Spearhead member's names, living and dead, and carving all of their names together on Shin's mind to their final destination. Spending time to bond with the 86 and getting over their one-sided mindsets, adding HiroyukiSawano's specialized ED takes the cream this episode.

A bunch or morons, Republic or 86, this is only the start of something new.
The establishment of Shin's brother, the next plotline.

This show can be a slow burn for all I care, because it's treading the pacing very nicely for it's split-cour run. And I'm enjoying every high and low moment this show ensues.
May 1, 2021 11:25 AM

Nov 2013
Another great episode and, once again, the original added content is working wonders to flesh out these characters. It is particularly great how we are getting more of the 86 side thanks to this dual perspective view, seeing as vol.1 was mostly Lena centric.

They didn't add Kaye's last moments, but after the solid directing so far, I trust that A1 will make up for this once the "reveal" comes later, since they will probably shoehorn some scenes.

Honestly hope they keep this pacing, since I wouldn't mind at all if they only adapted 1 volume, even with some more original content.
KaitonMay 1, 2021 11:30 AM

May 1, 2021 11:27 AM

Jul 2011
How this episode for me: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Was a snoozer.

Im feeling that i was bamboozle by the LN readers word, of how good this was.

I may begin to consider this an anime to watch while playing games on my phone.

May 1, 2021 11:32 AM

Jul 2016
The anime taking their time adapting the scenes and moments nicely. The episode starts on Spearhead POV, they showed the battle aftermath, and Theo's rant.
The second is about Lena reach out to knowing their names which is a nice scene. And flashback about Lena and how she sees the true situation of 86ers. The episode ends on Shin remembering his older brother with his ominous smile.

The art, animation and background are good this episode. The OST between scenes is good too. We got a new ED with nice transition. Overall pretty good episode

Oct 2020
This episode focused on Lena's beliefs and her conflicts after Kaie's death. I personally really enjoyed seeing her deal with her difficulties. Lena is definitely a really steadfast and strong character. Seeing her move on and come to terms with the squadron members was really interesting. The soundtracks in this episode were once again fricking amazing.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 2018
BlichoBoy said:
How this episode for me: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Was a snoozer.

Im feeling that i was bamboozle by the LN readers word, of how good this was.

I may begin to consider this an anime to watch while playing games on my phone.

I think you might be misunderstanding an important concept between Light Novels and Anime adaptations. Light novel readers have no control over what the anime choose to adapt.

I enjoy reading the light novels, but the anime adaptation is untested with only 4 episodes currently.
I like dub more than sub because I am not a weeb.
May 1, 2021 11:37 AM

Sep 2011
Disappointing to say the least that they didn't even adapt the death.
May 1, 2021 11:40 AM

Sep 2019
So did Shinei kill his brother or something? His smile implicated that imo.
May 1, 2021 11:51 AM

Jan 2017
Pre_Yum said:
That was a great episode imo. I must praise Lena for having the guts to ask them their names after all that happened. But, it wasn't her fault, to begin with. It's the world they live in. But, I'm glad that everything got resolved in the end and they were happy that they were asked their names by their handler. Looks like we're going to look into Undertaker's story now and his brother's relation with all that.

unreal :monkagiga
no remorse holds no recourse
now i'm leaving slowly
oh won't you hold me?
May 1, 2021 12:02 PM
Wings

Apr 2017
Shinei's (Undertaker) backstory was quite sombre. That's tuff always being last alive and having to bury his allies - and not even in a proper grave. The fact he remembers all 561 of their names, tells a lot about his character also. I wonder how he feels knowing that it's likely that he'll be burying all of his current comrades one day.

It was nice that Lena could finally properly open up to the 86 processors - instead of the previous forced friendliness pre-battle. She got to learn of all of their names and cleared the air with Theota. It was of course not all happy days however, as boundaries were drawn with them stating that she can never empathise for them.
May 1, 2021 12:02 PM
Apr 2020
As a Ln reader I must say I don't really mind the anime added content in general its been very true to the characters, so if they want to flesh some stuff out some more go for it. Just don't ruin it.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 86 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2021

432 by zukkiboo »»
Yesterday, 5:39 PM

Poll: » 86 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 8, 2021

243 by worldsick »»
Yesterday, 1:34 PM

» 86 LN starts its Final Arc with the next Light Novel volume 14.

darksideee - Jan 11

32 by KitsuFrost »»
May 1, 7:13 PM

Poll: » 86 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 12, 2021

265 by AlisandoLob »»
May 1, 9:07 AM

Poll: » 86 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2021

295 by Unni46nam »»
Apr 29, 7:12 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.