Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 14, 2021 12:08 AM

May 2020
NOTE: I AM ONLY ON EPISODE 10
NO SPOILERS

Haruhi is always bossing people around and making Mikuru cry. Her wish is to have the world revolve around her in 16 years. And she enjoyed being in another dimension with the MC just because she likes it there due to the monsters. Not considering what he says. She is really getting unbearable. I can see that something will make her change but does anyone share or use to agree with me?
Apr 14, 2021 12:36 AM

Apr 2018
Yes you are. Everybody grab your pitchforks!
Apr 14, 2021 12:39 AM

Aug 2019
anandasaetang said:
NO SPOILERS

Haruhi is always bossing people around and making Mikuru cry. Her wish is to have the world revolve around her in 16 years. And she enjoyed being in another dimension with the MC just because she likes it there due to the monsters. Not considering what he says. She is really getting unbearable. I can see that something will make her change but does anyone share or use to agree with me?

No, you aren't the only one. I don't like her either.
Apr 14, 2021 12:47 AM

Jul 2017
Oh, trust me. You're definitely not the only one. Haruhi's character could not be any more blatant. Even the worshippers completely understand your sentiment 100% lol.

Apr 14, 2021 12:47 AM
Nov 2020
i forgot how episode 10 is but haruhi is a tsundere :)
Apr 14, 2021 12:50 AM
Jul 2020
The point of her character is to represent a girl struggling with being bipolar. On the outside, she acts loud and bombastic, but she’s really just scared of losing what she has, and struggles with finding people that make her feel whole. That’s why Kyon is so important to her. He’s the only one that treats her like a normal person, not a deity, glitch in the system, or God.
Apr 14, 2021 12:50 AM
Nov 2020
anandasaetang said:
NO SPOILERS

she said she isnt interested in human beings so thats why she liked that universe and has that attitude against kyon. also she has no idea that she did that universe
Apr 14, 2021 1:25 AM
Original Denjin
Nov 2008
anandasaetang said:
NO SPOILERS

I wouldn’t quite use those words to describe her, but I definitely share your sentiment. Especially in endless eight, with that video filming seen with Mikuru, I believe she really went off the deep end there, and was definitely being very bossy.

And it’s funny you should bring this up, because I’ve been thinking about that as of late. And it wasn’t just because of two anime that are airing this season.
Apr 14, 2021 2:04 AM
Dec 2020
Wait until they make the movie. I really like her as a whole but damn she’s annoying. There are multiple points where I wanted to slap that bitch for everyone involved. Kyon is a goat though so I would continue watching if I were you. Also she doesn’t change she is just gets more tsundere scenes, I guess she becomes less extreme but overall she’s the same person in the end. Boy do I love dere.
said the lolicon bastard
Apr 14, 2021 3:34 AM

May 2020
It *~* sucks how he just played it off like nothing happened. Idk it doesn’t sit well with me seeing a privilege brat not suffering any consequences. I would have left the club then and there when she hit mikuru
Apr 14, 2021 3:55 AM
Oct 2020
Yes, and that's the point. Not all fictional characters has to be likeable, you know?
Apr 14, 2021 6:40 AM
Feb 2020
anandasaetang said:
NO SPOILERS

pretty sure this is the reason Kyon is the protagonist
What you said sounds like something kyon would
Apr 14, 2021 6:45 AM

Nov 2017
Yeah that's kind of one of the major points of her character.
Apr 14, 2021 8:17 AM
Sep 2020
isnt that kinda the point of the show
Apr 14, 2021 8:20 AM

Nov 2020
anandasaetang said:
NO SPOILERS

Yes I totally agree. She is the most annoying character I have ever come across in my anime journey.
Apr 14, 2021 8:24 AM

May 2020
rowanc019 said:
isnt that kinda the point of the show

The ‘melancholy’ of Haruhi. Never once did I come to a conclusion she was sad or feeling melancholic. The show never elaborated on her stresses.
The disappearance of Haruhi. Never once did I care or will care if she disappeared due to how her character is written.
Her vulnerability was never expressed. And if the writer wanted her to be annoying then I guess good on them
Apr 14, 2021 8:27 AM

May 2020
helmiazizm said:
Yes, and that's the point. Not all fictional characters has to be likeable, you know?

I can’t recall series with the MC name in the title then make them unlikable.
She is the most 2d character I’ve ever seen. Showing little to no vulnerability or emotion. Just consistently upbeat and annoying.
Apr 14, 2021 10:22 AM

May 2020
QueenElilizabeth said:
i forgot how episode 10 is but haruhi is a tsundere :)
she's actually kamidere and she's the representation of it.
┏────────┓
WHY
Is HoneyComeBear so Underrated?

─────────
┗─────────┛
Apr 14, 2021 12:18 PM
Oct 2020
anandasaetang said:
helmiazizm said:

I can’t recall series with the MC name in the title then make them unlikable.
She is the most 2d character I’ve ever seen. Showing little to no vulnerability or emotion. Just consistently upbeat and annoying.

Are you sure that she's the main character?

Yes her name is in the title, but each episodes are viewed from Kyon's perspective. Kyon's the one who gave a lot of sarcastic comments and interacts a lot with others to get more perspective of the anomaly that is Haruhi Suzumiya. In my interpretation, Haruhi is just the annoying side of God personified in a female high schoolers character and treated as an anomaly by the people around her (the brigade, the classmates, and such), as a mean of catharsis for Kyon as the MC. She doesn't have to be likeable—heck, it'd be a different show entirely if she wasn't selfish and annoying with no methods of fixing that—because her purpose is to change the people around her with her unbearable behaviour, though that doesn't mean that there's no one who genuinely liked her character since there are some people who has taken Haruhism a bit too seriously.

Try to view the show in other light and not just as a thing that pleases you with the same format such as likeable or unlikeable-turn-likeable characters show, because to be honest that's not really the point of the overall series.
CatgirlKomiApr 14, 2021 12:22 PM
Apr 14, 2021 3:17 PM
Dec 2020
The whole point... she’s a tsundere.
Apr 14, 2021 4:41 PM

Aug 2020
Nope, she annoys me too😂
Please stop, I don’t want to see any more Dekugo😭
Apr 14, 2021 4:53 PM
Original Denjin
Nov 2008
Funnysilverballs said:
anandasaetang said:
NO SPOILERS

pretty sure this is the reason Kyon is the protagonist
What you said sounds like something kyon would

Yeah, that’s a pretty good point. I understand that not all anime characters are supposed to be likable, especially the villains, but considering that she is one protagonists, I think this is the reason why people have a problem with it.

I mean, one of the things that she was saying, in response to Kyon’s “ ordinary lives“ monologue in episode one, was really spot on! And that’s both before and after he said that. Because to be quite honest, I was very offput when he said that as well. And some of the things that he was saying about Haruhi, like “go find a good looking guy or something“, I was like, “this is the reason why Hahuhi does what she does, so that way she doesn’t have to live a boring ordinary life”.

Like I said, I agree she’s very annoying at times, but that aspect of her, opposite to Kyon, I actually admire.
Apr 14, 2021 5:20 PM
Aug 2020
Compared to female characters that are always hitting or hurling insults at the men. Calling them idiots, perverts, cock blocking them, or simply talking down on men in majority of anime. I find Haruhi is pretty likable. I agree she is a narcissist though.
Apr 14, 2021 5:21 PM

Feb 2020
I don't find her annoying, but you're not the only one who does. There's a lot of people who hate her to stupidly high levels.

I don't get annoyed by characters easily at all, because well, they're characters. I don't understand getting super bothered and annoyed over a character but it's not something we can really control so.

I wasn't too fond of her but after the movie I liked her a lot more. I would say she's the type of character who grows on you.
Apr 14, 2021 5:22 PM

Feb 2020
mintyorphan said:
The point of her character is to represent a girl struggling with being bipolar. On the outside, she acts loud and bombastic, but she’s really just scared of losing what she has, and struggles with finding people that make her feel whole. That’s why Kyon is so important to her. He’s the only one that treats her like a normal person, not a deity, glitch in the system, or God.

Well said, mate. Kudos.
Apr 14, 2021 8:55 PM
Mar 2021
I mean, that’s kinda the point, but I feel you
Apr 15, 2021 12:40 AM
Jan 2018
I very much dislike haruki and this anime in general. Its only saving grace is that konata feom lucky star loves haruhi and cosplays as her often. Because of how much I love Konata I cant really despise haruhi. But thats really the only reason I have for not hating the entire series in general.

Yeah, it's stupid I know.
He died doing what he wanted, no matter what, right? I bet he was happy.

Good luck with berserk Kouji Mori, you'll need all the help you can get. We believe in you.
Apr 15, 2021 9:47 AM
Dec 2017
Well you're not the only one but thats the point of her character. But i understand your frustration op.

Apr 16, 2021 3:19 AM
Apr 2020
Yes she is naturally very self centered that's just how she is. Even though it's infuriating but it does change for the better over time. I also really hated her personality at the start but I promise you won't regret finishing the 2 seasons and film if you enjoy the story itself
May 25, 2021 9:06 PM

May 2021
mintyorphan said:

With you, but I understand where OP is coming from.
May 25, 2021 9:08 PM

Jul 2020
I just feel like she was meant to be hated lol.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
May 25, 2021 9:14 PM

May 2020
She's my least favourite character in the series. I don't care for this series at all and she's the worst part of it for me.
Jun 10, 2021 8:40 AM
Oct 2020
anandasaetang said:
NO SPOILERS

i am on ep 23...yes i hate her...she is like an alternate reality version of Nino from GC
Jun 10, 2021 8:42 AM
Amateur Reviewer
Jul 2016
I mean kyon too finds her annoying lol
Jun 10, 2021 8:43 AM

Jun 2020
Well, I don't share the same opinion as you but you're certainly not the only one who thinks like that
Jun 19, 2021 3:28 AM

Jul 2019
I find her very annoying in that movie making arc but after Kyon and Haruhi made up I'm okay with her again. Her being what she is what the show sells imo, would be very boring without her. Kyon in the meanwhile is basically all of us viewers. The series was absurd as a whole, has a bit of everything and very entertaining. Its called the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya after all.

More topics from this board

» "chronological order" and my utter disgust for it

Tsuna-Ryu - Apr 15

36 by YukariKatsuragi »»
Apr 16, 11:49 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Scribbly - Jul 23, 2008

87 by Unoriginality »»
Apr 11, 9:50 PM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

abhin4v - Mar 2, 2008

93 by S4dnu »»
Apr 11, 5:47 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AgathaKazar - Jul 19, 2008

99 by S4dnu »»
Apr 9, 5:39 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Scribbly - Jul 26, 2008

101 by Alkimia »»
Feb 29, 9:02 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.