Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 5, 2008 12:33 PM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This almost seemed like a filler episode (or it might actually be a filler), but it was very good.

Eva completely lost her mind. And I'm glad she got what she deserved =P
Also, I found it funny that Runge's wife and daughter were talking about leaving him (with their stuff packed), yet he just says "Lets talk about it later" and just leaves to the case scene.
Nov 30, 2008 11:56 AM

Nov 2008
Even though Runge is out to bring down our hero Kenzo, and he's a crappy father and husband, there's something... something very likable about him. I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it's something admirable about his dedication. Maybe I just feel bad for him having no life in order to do his mission. I can't say.

I wouldn't call this filler. I think it was an important background episode for both Runge and Eva. Eva's character could go in so many directions at this point, I'm interested to see what she does.
Dec 24, 2008 3:55 PM

Jun 2008
not really a filler. it was bloody good. that bitch had it coming to her...also we see some different sides of monster i guess...

unclesnappe is right ;d
Feb 7, 2009 3:26 AM

Jul 2008
Well her heart is filled with cheer and rainbows . Too bad there was no Tenma.
Apr 5, 2009 2:40 PM

Aug 2008
OUCH! >_<
It was kinda messed up bringing the mother out of nowhere.
- Signature Removed -
The signature seriously lacked "It's a Sony" qualities.
Jun 11, 2009 7:40 AM

Sep 2008
A lot of episodes in Monster feel like a filler but there's very little filler throughout the series. Its not like a roller coaster ride like deathnote...if you expect it to be like that then half of the series will feel like a filler.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jun 11, 2009 9:16 AM

May 2009
eyerok said:
A lot of episodes in Monster feel like a filler but there's very little filler throughout the series. Its not like a roller coaster ride like deathnote...if you expect it to be like that then half of the series will feel like a filler.
[

Maybe that's why I'm at episode 42 and it still hasn't seemed good enough.Most episodes have been, errr, close to filler with little impact on the story. Not sure if this will change for me but I still can't understand why people love this series so much.
Jun 11, 2009 11:10 AM

Sep 2008
Sapta said:
eyerok said:
[

Maybe that's why I'm at episode 42 and it still hasn't seemed good enough.Most episodes have been, errr, close to filler with little impact on the story. Not sure if this will change for me but I still can't understand why people love this series so much.

yeah I guess that's how the story has been crafted. Its not what you'd expect from a thriller/mystery normally. Monsters kinda slow-paced...and the weird thing is that its kinda soothing, unlike the other mystery/thrillers which keep you on your toes throughout and you cant wait to know what happens next (Deathnote had that effect on me). Wait till 55, it fires up from that point. Or at least thats what my brother told me :P
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jun 12, 2009 8:05 AM

May 2009
eyerok said:

yeah I guess that's how the story has been crafted. Its not what you'd expect from a thriller/mystery normally. Monsters kinda slow-paced...and the weird thing is that its kinda soothing, unlike the other mystery/thrillers which keep you on your toes throughout and you cant wait to know what happens next (Deathnote had that effect on me). Wait till 55, it fires up from that point. Or at least thats what my brother told me :P

55th episode, hmm. I'm going to finish the series even if I don't like it. But I would be looking forward to that 55th episode.
Jun 16, 2009 10:35 AM

Sep 2008
but if you havent liked it till now then I dont think your opinion is going to change...maybe you started on the wrong time. I think Monster is more suitable for someone who's really, really into animes. Dunno...thats what I think.
Jul 5, 2009 5:35 PM

May 2009
She totally snapped...
Jul 17, 2009 7:31 AM

Jun 2009
I am actually enjoying the pacing, I think it really builds the tension by not giving some quick release fix that some thrillers do.. Plus I really enjoy getting the background stories to these characters, it gives more motive to their actions, I like understanding why they do what they do.. It's like itsy bitsy lightbulb moments..
Jul 22, 2009 10:44 AM

Apr 2008
That bitch gone crayzeee!!!
Jul 22, 2009 1:51 PM

Jan 2009
She only gets what she wants otherwise it all burns eh? I wonder if Sephirot would like that bitch. Also I lol'd at Lunge, his daughter was pregnant and his wife was having an affair; he didn't give a shit.

Nice background stories from the characters; coulnd't be better.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Aug 9, 2009 9:12 AM

Jul 2009
Eva want Craaaaaaaaazy lol. Also, that weird detective's partner has the same voice as Gendo from Neon Genesis Evangelion and MADAO from Gintama XD
Nov 25, 2009 12:11 PM

Jul 2008
Damn that bitch is evil. I hope she dies or something. Naoki Urasawa sure knows how to create female characters you will HATE.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Jan 14, 2010 3:57 PM

Apr 2009
That's EVIL.I remembered so much things when I saw her burning the house...

Jan 20, 2010 12:47 PM

Sep 2009
I wonder if she has really burnt the house down... Or was it some kind of imagination.
But I can say that this is definitely not a filler. Episode wasnt AWESOME but it was really good. We see that the police are the only ones after Tenma. But now, since Runge is fired, and from a few of his notions. We can see that he will dedicate his life to catch Tenma. Eva will probably tag along. Therefore exacerbating Tenma's goal to kill Johan.
No sig :(
Feb 7, 2010 12:15 PM

Oct 2009
LOL am I the only person who kind of felt sorry for Eva? :| I mean, I hadn't up until this point, but I felt like maybe spending Christmas with the gardener would have been good for her and maybe would have helped her get over her crazyangst.

I guess that's just me, though. I have weird reactions to things sometimes. Whatever.
Jul 4, 2010 4:10 AM

Aug 2009
Banchou said:

This. Just gotta hate Eva *shivers*

And the wife to that gardener came back, good for him and his daughter ^^

Oct 5, 2010 1:52 AM

Jun 2009
Kayro said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This almost seemed like a filler episode (or it might actually be a filler), but it was very good.

Eva completely lost her mind. And I'm glad she got what she deserved =P
Also, I found it funny that Runge's wife and daughter were talking about leaving him (with their stuff packed), yet he just says "Lets talk about it later" and just leaves to the case scene.

Yeah, it's filler if taken at face value. But, I for one think it is very important to develop the characters so that they are more than just token anime characters.

It's very apparent that Eva and Lunge are going to be important moving forward and this episode did an exceptional job of developing them.

manchester said:
LOL am I the only person who kind of felt sorry for Eva? :| I mean, I hadn't up until this point, but I felt like maybe spending Christmas with the gardener would have been good for her and maybe would have helped her get over her crazyangst.

I guess that's just me, though. I have weird reactions to things sometimes. Whatever.

No, I feel the same way. It's kind of sad that it looks as though Eva finally got someone to care about her(though, I really do think Tenma did) and then she sees the guy reunite with his wife and have happiness she can't have and it just drives her crazy.

Like Algirdyz said, I wonder if she truly did burn her mansion down it could be a metaphor for how she feels at the moment. I'm not sure.

Ekvi said:
Banchou said:

Even though Eva does some things I can't agree with, I just can't hate her. She was raised in wealth, was used to getting anything she wants and then Tenma came along and, whether she believes he killed her father or not, he was the one who ultimately triggered her losing everything. So, in a sense, she is right: he did ruin her life by saving the boy who killed her father.

I'm not saying that she is wrong or right in her actions, I just don't think it should be as easy to judge her as you make it out to be.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 6, 2010 10:04 PM

Mar 2010
Ekvi said:
Banchou said:

yeah man the christmas thing when the wife came home wow

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Dec 14, 2010 9:08 AM
Jan 2009
That Eva is such a wretched woman.
Apr 27, 2011 11:07 PM

Apr 2009
Eva's gone full yandere. I wouldn't call this ep filler at all. It's important to show the reasons behind Runge's decision to actively hunt down Tenma. And if Eva does tag along with him it's important to show hers as well. Last ep was a lot more fillery.
wallaApr 27, 2011 11:12 PM
May 13, 2011 8:55 PM

Oct 2008
Eva has gone loco. :O
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
May 19, 2011 10:46 AM

Jul 2010
Man.. this anime makes me think of German people as some of the worst people out there.. everyone gets cheated by his wife WTH! what's worse is her (gardner's wife) coming back to him and just apologizing like it's nothing or it's not that bad.. and him... /:

Anyway, this Eva is so stupid (even though I felt a bit of pitty for her here).. what if that was his sister?
Aug 19, 2011 10:43 AM

May 2009
Someone put that bitch out of her misery.
Dec 17, 2011 3:51 PM

Apr 2010
amazing character development; Eva is one psychologically broken woman... from cold and deceptive to depressed and regretful... followed by vengeful and belligerent. she is an emotional roller coaster ride in itself and the series carefully and masterfully brought that out of her.
insan3soldiern said:

Ekvi said:
Banchou said:

Even though Eva does some things I can't agree with, I just can't hate her. She was raised in wealth, was used to getting anything she wants and then Tenma came along and, whether she believes he killed her father or not, he was the one who ultimately triggered her losing everything. So, in a sense, she is right: he did ruin her life by saving the boy who killed her father.

I'm not saying that she is wrong or right in her actions, I just don't think it should be as easy to judge her as you make it out to be.

once again, i agree with your judgment. through a course of 'cause and effect' and slight domino resemblance, she ultimately developed hatred towards the one person who affected her negatively; rational thinking takes a back-seat and she instinctively portrays malicious behavior and Tenma becomes the target of said hatred. i for one believe that she is a prime example of misfortune through events taken place all at once, which in turn would inevitably break the mind of ANY person, good or evil.

Lunge, now he is THE most interesting character of the show. i can't put my finger on what could possibly be going through his head. at a few points, he is shown to express absolute justice and limitless drive to solve cases. while at other pivotal episodes, he seems cruel and sometimes backwards with his beliefs. what an awkward person to be married to, let alone show any speck of feelings for... his attitude while he engages with suspects or crucial witnesses gives him this over-powering aura about him... not to mention his typewriter hand which, from what i've gathered, acts as a type of memory database; such a creative and memorable way to establish a character trait.

still have yet to be disappointed with any episode
Peekaboo58Dec 17, 2011 4:09 PM
Dec 28, 2011 5:46 PM

Dec 2009
I love to hate Eva. She's just brilliant!
Feb 14, 2012 2:55 PM

Mar 2009
I hate that bitch Eva but she's interesting to watch.
Apr 12, 2012 9:44 AM

Apr 2009
Kayro said:
This almost seemed like a filler episode (or it might actually be a filler)

Filler-shmiller again. Eva is such an insignificant character that an episode dedicated to her and explaining her way of thinking can't be anything else but filler. Inspector Lunge and his life dramas are also nothing else, but content for filler. All in all this episode was probably filler. Good, but filler. /sarcasm off
Apr 26, 2012 2:28 PM

May 2010
I was dying when she told the gardener about the way Tenma treated her. YES YES YES... LOL
May 15, 2012 2:38 PM

Oct 2010
this Eva, even though she is a mega bitch, you have to feel sorry for her
May 15, 2012 3:27 PM

Apr 2012
Nichibotsu-kaeru said:
this Eva, even though she is a mega bitch, you have to feel sorry for her

Oh yes, she's actually quite the pathetic character. She's had everything handed to her entire life. She has this huge sense of entitlement and yet she's lost everything that was really important to her. So she drowns herself in alcohol and toys with people trying to regain what she has lost, stuck in a bitter and cynical cycle.

She's a bitch but such a well written one.
May 29, 2012 4:26 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Ooh, it's great when an episode focuses on the lives of the 'antagonists'. I can get a better feel for Lunge and Eva now.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 1, 2012 8:38 PM

Aug 2008
Oh man Eva got trolled harrrdd.
Maybe Lurch and Eva will hook up on their quest to find Tenma?
Sep 17, 2012 12:16 PM

Nov 2009
Hrmmm not sure I would say its good for the gardener, although certainly is better than him getting along with that crazy bitch Eva, although somehow I almost felt sorry for her. She seemed like she was so close to turning around and not being a crazy bitch anymore... but yeah kind of glad because I definitely don't want to like her as a character.
Sep 27, 2012 4:32 PM

Nov 2011
Good lord, that was the most intense "devoted to character development" episode I have ever seen. It astounds me how people would consider this episode filler, when it basically tells us about the lives of Runge and Eva; just goes to show both of them are human too.

Brilliant episode.
Nov 7, 2012 6:41 AM

Dec 2007

Really?Just how is this filler?

Anyway Lunge is the most interessting character for now. Learning about him was nice. I didn't expect him to have a family at all. I wonder if he was always like this ._.
Nov 22, 2012 5:46 PM

Mar 2012
Let it burnnnnn. Let it burnnnnnnn. Gotta let it burnnnnnn. That was playing in my head during that one scene.
Dec 17, 2012 12:41 AM

Feb 2012
So Runge is now human too and really seems nice. For Eva well she's just maniac.

About Episode:

Runge's investigations this other case seemed interesting. Bolzmann was sure angry for Runge just to suspect him.

But it seems that Runge is now out of cops and not working for anyone anymore. This must be because that chief guy said that he has to be some goal and Runge didn't say it at that time so he got fired.

Also pretty funny was that when daughter told she's pregnant and wife she has affair. Runge just took it easy and when he got finally call about that case. He just leaves haha. Let's discuss this later cool Runge.

So Eva came to Runge and Runge told him that he thinks Tenma has double personality but I won't believe this I believe Johan is real not just imagination.

Eva sure can get any man he wants basically that other man just left her then she just took gardener. Because that gardener was also very interested about her. Too bad that Eva just toyed with him and it was all just to that he would forget Tenma. But I guess he won't forget him never.

So gardener finally understand that Eva is lonely and that's why Eva still loves Tenma. And it was emotional scene where gardener wife returns for christmas and they eat together. Though I am not sure was that imagination what Eva did or real. Just burning whole place up.

So now Runge and Eva is going to probably to team up and catch Tenma together. But really Eva is just maniac.
Dec 22, 2012 3:43 PM

Nov 2011
Tbh, burning your own house down to heal your past wounds is never a good idea. Eva just made one of the worst decisions of her life.
Dec 23, 2012 11:18 PM

Oct 2012
Oh wow another person is commenting around the same time i did

Jan 27, 2013 3:44 PM

Jan 2012
Oh my God, that bitch is annoying beyond words.

Jan 29, 2013 10:35 PM

Oct 2012
Am I the only one who's felt sympathy for her. She just wants to be loved. I thought she'd finally get that from the Gardner but lo and behold the old wife shows up after being ditched. She's just really unlucky. She's a massive alcoholic after she realized that letting go of Tenma was a bad idea. Hurt herself.

May 3, 2013 8:37 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode. I felt sympathy and symphony for her too.
May 24, 2013 5:53 PM

Oct 2010
It's LUNGE, not RUNGE, damn it I'm pulling my hair out here. He is such a cool character. Daughter is pregnant, wife having an affair and he's more concerned about his work, lol. Well, at least you can't question his commitment to work.

Eva is a bitch, she deserves everything she gets after the way she treated Tenma.
Jun 6, 2013 7:08 PM
Feb 2011
Oh man, just when I was about to feel sorry and hopeful for Eva, the mother showed up. What a miserable woman.

And now we have Lunge a hundred percent focused on his Tenma case. Finally.
Jun 20, 2013 7:30 AM

Feb 2012
Wow, this show is so remarkably well-written that it made me feel sorry for Eva Fucking Heinemann, if only for a fleeting moment. Definitely grown to appreciate her character.
Aug 17, 2013 6:30 AM
May 2012
I can't stop but chuckle when Lunge said that Johann is Tenma's another personality haha And the look at Lunge's face while saying it he thinks oh I'm such a badass he thinks he's correct but he is not :P and I kinda feel sorry for Eva she may be a bitch but still she could have been save in that christmas dinner but the wife showed up.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 73 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 25, 2008

173 by ArtirSachi »»
May 6, 6:45 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babykeiji - Apr 23, 2008

626 by cRzOrCho »»
May 5, 4:41 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

105 by puffle9000 »»
May 2, 11:25 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 3, 2008

149 by tectacles »»
May 2, 6:40 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 3, 2008

152 by tectacles »»
May 1, 8:17 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.