Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 9, 2021 9:52 AM

Jun 2011
The woman is a total bitch. She drives recklessly and yells at her husband just because she doesn't want him doing what he's passionate for. I think she has this fear that he will abandon the family but the thing is, he's just doing what's best for him, which is working as a sea captain and she's too unreasonable to see that.

I fucking hate Lisa. Worst character in the film.

Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Feb 9, 2021 8:30 PM
Aug 2016
I get where you're coming from, but from her point of view, there is also the possibility of getting lost at sea, drowning etc. Anything could happen and souske would grow up without a father, as well as possibly never knowing what happened. She'd be constantly worrying about that, plus the fact he's missing out on a lot of his kids childhood. Drives recklessly, definitely, but she also has her families best interests at heart. Having a husband out at sea most of the year is basically bringing up a child by yourself, you can't blame her for wanting her husband and kids father there tbh. She's doing everything alone. I'm just saying, I don't think you're looking at it from a mothers point of view. There's also the fact that she takes in a child, not her own without batting an eye and she clearly cares about people, like the elderly people that she cares for in her job. If you don't like her character fair enough, and she definitely makes some questionable choices, but it seems to me that she's got people's best interests at heart. Even if she seems young and slightly reckless.
Feb 10, 2021 4:39 AM
Dec 2020
Are you okay? Like fr are you good?
Feb 10, 2021 5:09 AM
Jan 2021
I really like Lisa, she’s possibly my favourite character is the film. She clearly loves her family, she is kind to her son, never judging him for his strange claims about being friends with a fish, and she is kind to Ponyo when they meet. She loves her husband and wants to see him more, and he doesn’t seem to take her frustration too badly, she’s a relatable character as people often get annoyed at inconveniences in real life, you can’t expect them to always keep their composure, it doesn't mean they are bad people or characters
Feb 10, 2021 7:51 AM

Jun 2011
hanna_animefan said:
I really like Lisa, she’s possibly my favourite character is the film. She clearly loves her family, she is kind to her son, never judging him for his strange claims about being friends with a fish, and she is kind to Ponyo when they meet. She loves her husband and wants to see him more, and he doesn’t seem to take her frustration too badly, she’s a relatable character as people often get annoyed at inconveniences in real life, you can’t expect them to always keep their composure, it doesn't mean they are bad people or characters

Lisa is what I hate about some people. They're so selfish and clingy. I wish that so many moms and dads didn't have toxic relationships, I don't know why they do. It hurts the kids and her bratty attitude for no reason is going to hurt kids watching this film who have been through family tensions. I admit I haven't been in a relationship nor do I care but at least Sosuke A FUCKING 5 YEAR OLD has more maturity and empathy.
Angry_Anime_NerdFeb 10, 2021 7:56 AM
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Feb 10, 2021 7:53 AM

Jun 2011
Suckmypokeballs said:
I get where you're coming from, but from her point of view, there is also the possibility of getting lost at sea, drowning etc. Anything could happen and souske would grow up without a father, as well as possibly never knowing what happened. She'd be constantly worrying about that, plus the fact he's missing out on a lot of his kids childhood. Drives recklessly, definitely, but she also has her families best interests at heart. Having a husband out at sea most of the year is basically bringing up a child by yourself, you can't blame her for wanting her husband and kids father there tbh. She's doing everything alone. I'm just saying, I don't think you're looking at it from a mothers point of view. There's also the fact that she takes in a child, not her own without batting an eye and she clearly cares about people, like the elderly people that she cares for in her job. If you don't like her character fair enough, and she definitely makes some questionable choices, but it seems to me that she's got people's best interests at heart. Even if she seems young and slightly reckless.

This is a good analysis of her. Many fathers work too much and end up abandoning their children and maybe that's what Lisa's afraid of. I don't remember if overworking was the case of the dad though. Still, I am not a mother so it's hard to look at it from her perspective.

Feb 10, 2021 10:52 AM
Jan 2021
Angry_Anime_Nerd said:
hanna_animefan said:

Lisa is what I hate about some people. They're so selfish and clingy. I wish that so many moms and dads didn't have toxic relationships, I don't know why they do. It hurts the kids and her bratty attitude for no reason is going to hurt kids watching this film who have been through family tensions. I admit I haven't been in a relationship nor do I care but at least Sosuke A FUCKING 5 YEAR OLD has more maturity and empathy.

I disagree, personally i don’t think that seeing Sosukes parents relationships would be harmful to kids, and i don’t think that arguing is necessary toxic. I think that the family is refreshing compared to constantly seeing perfect families in films, especially childrens films. Sosuke does show maturity and empathy, likely due to his positive upbringing
Apr 2, 2021 10:50 PM
May 2019
hmmmmmmmmm... u good?
Apr 28, 2021 5:00 PM

Jan 2020
I don't hate her but she's alright I guess

May 15, 2021 5:41 PM
Dec 2020
Hating her is a bit of an over exaggeration. Her driving is strange but her being upset that her husband is out at sea doesn’t really seem to be enough to hate an animated character. Hate is a really strong word for this wholesome movie. I don’t even see the point of aggressively hating a character that hasn’t done anything really bad other than simply being angry.
Jul 8, 2021 2:05 PM
Jul 2018
Lisa is a great mother character for the reason that she isn't perfect, Simple as.

Also her wreckless driving does come in handy in the movie so its not like its in there for no reason.
Jul 12, 2021 10:02 AM

Jun 2011
J-Tea-Chugger said:
Lisa is a great mother character for the reason that she isn't perfect, Simple as.

Also her wreckless driving does come in handy in the movie so its not like its in there for no reason.

I just find her a jerk to be honest and didn't care for her relationship with her husband. It just came off as a clingy wife who doesn't want her husband to work thing, it just seemed stupid and unhealthy. I think Suckmypokeballs had a good analysis to help me understand her better as a character. I have never been in a relationship so I don't know what it's like, but I do know some parents can be mean to each other and it makes me angry. It makes me wonder why can't they just be nice especially for the kids! I mean Lisa is older than me and she acts like a clingy child. I can't imagine being this clingy to my partner so yeah not relatable but then again, I haven't been in a relationship so🤷🏿‍♀️

Also most parents don't do reckless driving especially when they have a kid in there unless they want to get caught red-handed. I haven't seen the movie in a long time so I don't remember what purpose it served.
Angry_Anime_NerdJul 12, 2021 10:05 AM

Jul 12, 2021 10:11 AM

Feb 2020
no, i don't hate lisa. she is ok

Btw ponyo is my favorite ghibli girl
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Jul 12, 2021 10:56 AM

Jun 2011
Adampk said:
no, i don't hate lisa. she is ok

Btw ponyo is my favorite ghibli girl

Ponyo is absolutely adorable. I don't know why people hate her. She acts like a regular five year old girl who is seeing the world above water for the first time.

Nov 9, 2021 11:20 PM

Jun 2015
Angry_Anime_Nerd said:
J-Tea-Chugger said:

I just find her a jerk to be honest and didn't care for her relationship with her husband. It just came off as a clingy wife who doesn't want her husband to work thing, it just seemed stupid and unhealthy. I think Suckmypokeballs had a good analysis to help me understand her better as a character. I have never been in a relationship so I don't know what it's like, but I do know some parents can be mean to each other and it makes me angry. It makes me wonder why can't they just be nice especially for the kids! I mean Lisa is older than me and she acts like a clingy child. I can't imagine being this clingy to my partner so yeah not relatable but then again, I haven't been in a relationship so🤷🏿‍♀️

Also most parents don't do reckless driving especially when they have a kid in there unless they want to get caught red-handed. I haven't seen the movie in a long time so I don't remember what purpose it served.

I think the driving is exaggerated for quirkiness/entertainment. The intention was probably more "look how bold Lisa is!" and less "wow she's a bad mom who endangers her child!"

Also I think that you're looking at her scene with her husband from the wrong angle. It's probably just b/c you've never been in a relationship but sometimes couples just argue with each other while being irrational and immature. The thing is that they both acknowledge that their fight is probably a bit immature, so it ends up being more of a casual, light-hearted argument than an actual fight. Maybe it's hard to tell if you've never experienced it yourself but those were the vibes I was getting from their fight.
Jan 30, 2022 3:17 AM
Jun 2020
broo???

i just watched the movie and idk how can u hate her but i cried when she was not in the car after the tsunami 🤧🤧🤧
Aug 16, 2023 9:56 PM

Feb 2014
she doesn't want him doing what he's passionate for.

he's just doing what's best for him, which is working as a sea captain and she's too unreasonable to see that.

Oh yeah, the "best version of myself" and "self-love" meme. That's not how families work. When you have a wife and a child, you don't fuck around doing dangerous things that could leave your wife a widow and your child a fatherless orphan. You need to behave more responsibly. It's not just about you/"me me me me me" and narcissistic, self-indulgent hedonism anymore. At the very least, you also fulfil your duty towards your family as a husband and father by being there for them as much as possible. Her expecting that from him isn't unreasonable. It's the most normal thing for a wife to expect.
Aug 20, 2023 10:05 AM

Jun 2011
Vhailor said:
she doesn't want him doing what he's passionate for.

he's just doing what's best for him, which is working as a sea captain and she's too unreasonable to see that.

Oh yeah, the "best version of myself" and "self-love" meme. That's not how families work. When you have a wife and a child, you don't fuck around doing dangerous things that could leave your wife a widow and your child a fatherless orphan. You need to behave more responsibly. It's not just about you/"me me me me me" and narcissistic, self-indulgent hedonism anymore.  At the very least, you also fulfil your duty towards your family as a husband and father by being there for them as much as possible. Her expecting that from him isn't unreasonable. It's the most normal thing for a wife to expect.

How is following your dreams being narcissistic? What exactly was he doing that's so unreasonably dangerous and hedonistic? Doesn't he work as a captain/fisherman or something? What's wrong with that? Would you say the same thing about someone going to war to fight for their country which is much more risky than sailing a fucking boat? If that's what he wants, so be it. She can't stop them, she's the one being narcissistic and clingy and selfish.

Also, you're complaining about the father being dangerous when Lisa drives recklessly.

Feb 19, 11:31 PM

Aug 2016
She's a cute milf, si I'm gonna let it pass.
:v

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gake no Ue no Ponyo Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

aero - Feb 7, 2009

132 by KeepCalmAndMal »»
Mar 25, 6:37 PM

» Everything Wrong With Spirited Away

Manga_Etc - Apr 28, 2017

1 by Draconix814 »»
Jan 15, 2018 5:06 PM

» My review and dub discussion

JTurner - Aug 17, 2009

6 by Slyr3do0n »»
Apr 23, 2013 5:56 AM

» Release Today!

VelvetEris - Aug 14, 2009

23 by omotenium »»
Aug 17, 2009 1:28 PM

» Ponyo R2 DVD coming out in July

dbaranyi - Apr 2, 2009

6 by VelvetEris »»
Aug 12, 2009 9:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.