Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Feb 2, 2021 7:28 AM

Jul 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The 4th and final chosen Wonder Egg tomboy girl: Momoe "Momotaro" Sawaki, tackling issues about sexual harassment and gender identity (making that uncomfortable "trans allegory / transgender" topic made known, a first in anime in decades).

Continuing with last episode's issue of Rika about idols, a two-fer assault of the Wonder Egg alien beings, and it's interesting to see the traumatic affected humans controlling them whilst the Wonder Egg girls dealt their demise.

Neiru has recovered fully, and the Wonder Egg adventures don't stop once these issues are resolved. Her living quarters and as a president, what a surprise. The figurine talk are also thinking-hat processes about the Wonder Egg girls' intentions and all as more Eggs are dispensed in the future.

Now that all 4 Wonder Egg girls are together, I really wonder what Shinji Nojima has up his/her sleeve with this going forward.

Now I feel like I understood the hidden meaning and elements behind this show's foundation, but there's still more to uncover. A pretty interesting show in a Blues' Clues fashion of reading between the lines.

Apr 2020
I love Momoe's weapon design, and in dream world, penlight is very useful lol, Ai looks cool in this episode.

Somehow I was happy to see the four of them laughing together

WAIT Sawaki ?!
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Sexual harassment.... yeah it's horrible
A tomboy named Momoe, she seems to be an interesting character
Nice episode
Feb 2, 2021 7:32 AM

Jun 2019
Ai did great in this episode. The animation was on point as well.
Ai waving those penlights was adorable to me while that music in the background. With Rika's help, Ai managed to defeat that thing and protected those two girls. The episode was rather colorful since the episode name itself is 'Colorful Girls'. Lol
Feb 2, 2021 7:35 AM

Feb 2019
Another really dark episode, more sexual harassment and a new girl introduced. Sawaki has a lot of trauma which I’m guessing caused her to start dressing like a boy.

I’m starting to understand the dream worlds and eggs more and more with each episode. I definitely see the Madoka vibes now. Also, if you pay attention to the OP, there’s 4 eggs initially, which I assume symbolise the girls. At the end of the op, there’s only one egg left and it begins to crack.

I’m thinking we’re going to be in for a lot of suffering.

On the bright side, animation was awesome today as usual.
Feb 2, 2021 7:35 AM

Jun 2012
Gangs all together now.

Still haven't really gotten much info on why Neiru fights.
Feb 2, 2021 7:37 AM

Jan 2009
nice so the immortality plot is not forgotten lol i thought Rika will be petrified until the enemy is defeated by Ai but i guess not since ye they are immortal like episode 1 shows

Momo is a lesbian but not a tomboy i guess

i wonder what Ai remembers by the name Sawaki though in the end

and the action sakuga is awesome again
Feb 2, 2021 7:37 AM

Apr 2012
Finally, we will get at least some material other than "she looks androgynous, and the author wrote about LGBTQ earlier, so she trans" before. Well, with a small caveat - this is far from the first anime about a real or not gender theme, at least 1-2 years ago there have already been several.

@deg Everything makes sense in context, and in order to understand a particular trope, you must first understand its context. Just because she's androgynous doesn't make her trans or lesbian in and of itself. Not to mention the fact that the tomboy is not attached to any sexuality. She can be a lesbian and a tomboy as well.
RobertBobertFeb 2, 2021 7:42 AM
Feb 2, 2021 7:41 AM
Jul 2018
momo is finally here!! that opening scene was pretty interesting and some nice fights there. also, imagine molesting one of ur employees daughter and then when you get caught you fire her dad. thats some real pathetic shit right there.

ai was so cute in this episode, also neiru owns a company? lol. the four of them are finally together, cant wait to see where they go from here. nojima once again pulling through :)
Feb 2, 2021 7:42 AM

Jan 2009
btw those doll like receptionists that are giving instructions and knowledge to them they implied that there is a boys egg game too? i wonder if later episodes will show that like they even fight with boys for eggs

@RobertBobert

i mean she wants to wear masculine clothes but deep inside she still feels like a girl that is a lesbian so ye its not your typical stereotype of tomboys at least
Feb 2, 2021 7:45 AM

Jun 2012
RobertBobert said:
Finally, we will get at least some material other than "she looks androgynous, and the author wrote about LGBTQ earlier, so she trans" before. Well, with a small caveat - this is far from the first anime about a real or not gender theme, at least 1-2 years ago there have already been several.

Isn't the new character (Momoe) just some one who looks very "boyish" due to them being taller than their peers and having shorter hair cut? Regardless of the fact that a girl seems to have fallen in love with them is more of a reason as to "why she fights" more than anything else.
Feb 2, 2021 7:50 AM

Apr 2012
@deg You said it yourself, stereotypical. Again, where does sexuality have to do with it?

Glordit said:
RobertBobert said:

Isn't the new character (Momoe) just some one who looks very "boyish" due to them being taller than their peers and having shorter hair cut? Regardless of the fact that a girl seems to have fallen in love with them is more of a reason as to "why she fights" more than anything else.

Could you clarify what you wanted to say? I didn't quite understand which part of my comment you answered.
RobertBobertFeb 2, 2021 7:58 AM
Feb 2, 2021 7:53 AM

Jan 2009
RobertBobert said:
@deg You said it yourself, stereotypical. Again, where does sexuality have to do with it?

well isnt she in love with a girl? so she is a lesbian? or am i missing something here
Feb 2, 2021 7:54 AM
Jul 2018
Glordit said:
RobertBobert said:

just gonna leave this here
Feb 2, 2021 7:55 AM

Feb 2019
Well, okay, apparently, boys' suicides are born from not achieving goals and girls' out of emotions and the 'allure of death', alrighty then. Even suicide the eggs sold by Ikuhara-esque attendants' gacha game are gendered smh my head.

Momoe must look really pretty for literally *all* the girls she comes across to either comment on it or fall in love with her, I guess we gotta take the characters' words for it. (I thought about writing 'they/them', but she clearly looks like she wants to be seen and treated as a girl and gets bothered by being confused for a boy) It looks like she's really going to be the 'author's history of exploration of LGBT themes' people had predicted her to be, alas.
Feb 2, 2021 8:01 AM

Sep 2019
Every girl's backstory is sad and depressing, first girl of this episode's was like that as well. Momoe has a harem. I don't know if the girl Momoe's trying to save liked her knowing she was a female but Momoe's giving her all for that girl. It was another great episode with amazing animations.

By the way, Rika's neck > all.
Feb 2, 2021 8:01 AM

Jun 2012
2077 said:
Glordit said:

Honestly, at this stage it's a guessing game until there is actual confirmation.
Feb 2, 2021 8:02 AM

Apr 2012
deg said:
RobertBobert said:

well isnt she in love with a girl? so she is a lesbian? or am i missing something here

Who told you that Momo fell in love with her? They fell in love with her because of her boyish appearance and she felt uncomfortable about it. Not because she's straight, we haven't been told yet about her sexuality, but because they had a misconception about her personality.

@Kosmonaut If so, then I hope that she will not become a token minority. Because in this case she is too stereotyped for that.

Feb 2, 2021 8:02 AM
Feb 2020
Sawaki is the shady teacher's sister they have the same last name
Feb 2, 2021 8:04 AM

Apr 2012
Glordit said:
2077 said:

2077 said:

Honestly, at this stage it's a guessing game until there is actual confirmation.

Hah, I can already predict that tumblr and twitter will declare her a lesbian / trans and will interpret any events with her in this direction towards the given one. As if for the first time.
Feb 2, 2021 8:04 AM

Jan 2009
RobertBobert said:
deg said:

Who told you that Momo fell in love with her? They fell in love with her because of her boyish appearance and she felt uncomfortable about it. Not because she's straight, we haven't been told yet about her sexuality, but because they had a misconception about her personality.

ok fair enough but dude are you that angry like im sensing? whats the deal with you and this topic lol
Feb 2, 2021 8:06 AM

Apr 2012
deg said:
RobertBobert said:

ok fair enough but dude are you that angry like im sensing? whats the deal with you and this topic lol

I don't think I have to make excuses for anything, only if I wrote to you that I see it more like "they see me as a boy, although I am a girl", and not that she is a lesbian. At least for now.
Feb 2, 2021 8:06 AM

Apr 2020
deg said:

i'm not sure if this will be a spoiler or not, but I'm going to use a spoiler tag
Feb 2, 2021 8:08 AM

Jan 2009
Shirase-san said:
deg said:

i'm not sure if this will be a spoiler or not, but I'm going to use a spoiler tag

oh no need to spoiler tag that at all imo thats a great catch i do not remember much japanese names since they are tongue twister for me
Feb 2, 2021 8:10 AM

Feb 2019
RobertBobert said:
deg said:

@Kosmonaut If so, then I hope that she will not become a token minority. Because in this case she is too stereotyped for that.

I guess the subversion of the stereotype could come from her clear discomfort when she's seen as a boy, but feeling like she has to act like one (and that if fits her better) because of the expectations others (the girls that fall in love with her) put on her - as in, wanting to 'be' what others see her as. She actually comments upon finding Adam's apples 'sexy' and seems very uncomfortable in that scene with the girl she's trying to save, so it could even mean she's bi or actually straight. It actually kind of reminds me of a manga (Himegoto: Juukyuusai no Seifuku), it deals with similar themes of a tomboy not liking to be seen as masculine.
KosmonautFeb 2, 2021 8:15 AM
Feb 2, 2021 8:11 AM

Oct 2017
Momoe seems like the cool type, I like her. Also is she Ai's sensei's sister or any other relative? I liked the scene where all four of them laughed together. Also wow Neiru is the president of a major company.
Feb 2, 2021 8:13 AM

Apr 2020
deg said:
i do not remember much japanese names since they are tongue twister for me

Lol I need 30 characters.
Feb 2, 2021 8:14 AM

May 2017
so it is actually possible to bring the girls back to life. Wasn't sure as of now since they never went into detail with that. Good to know. Good episode again. I like Momo. Momo meeting Ai was a heartwarming moment
Feb 2, 2021 8:15 AM

Apr 2012

If the teacher is indeed a sexual predator, then I hope it doesn't lead us to some kind of incestuous abuse. Although incest was literally a thing in the very first writing of this show.
Feb 2, 2021 8:16 AM
Apr 2020
Kosmonaut said:
RobertBobert said:

I guess the subversion of the stereotype could come from her clear discomfort when she's seen as a boy, but feeling like she has to act like one (and that if fits her better) because of the expectations others (the girls that fall in love with her) put on her - as in, wanting to 'be' what others see her as. She actually comments upon finding Adam's apples 'sexy' and seems very uncomfortable in that scene with the girl she's trying to save, so it could even mean she's bi or actually straight. It actually kind of reminds me of a manga (Himegoto: Juukyuusai no Seifuku), it deals with similar themes of a tomboy not liking to be seen as masculine.

funfact, girls can have Adam's apples too.
Feb 2, 2021 8:23 AM

Feb 2019
EastKidd said:
Kosmonaut said:

funfact, girls can have Adam's apples too.
I know women can have Adam's apples too, but that doesn't fit the context of the scene.

Neiru who thought she was a boy previously inspecting Momoe more closely: '[The neck] is long and slender. And doesn't have an Adam's Apple.' [as in, 'she doesn't have this thing I consider as a give away of a masculine biological sex']
Other girls: 'I really like Adam's apples, etc'

It's a matter of following the context of the exchange and pick up from scenes prior, in my opinion.
KosmonautFeb 2, 2021 8:26 AM

May 2020
That flip though, Neiru's obviously in top form!!!
The new character seems so interesting, with the whole being mistaken for a boy, I want to know more about what happened with her and her 'friend'!?
Everyone needs an Ai in their life, like making everyone feel better, she's so kindhearted and caring...

Dec 2014
Good episode again.

So we get introduced to the last girl from the poster art, Momoe. A girl with boyish looks but sounds like she doesn't like be identified as a boy despite what everyone else thinks.

Neiru owns a company. Hah, I did love what she had to say about Ai being an idiot for trusting people too easily but a loveable idiot nonetheless and her trait isn't all that bad. Really liked the scene with the 4 girls bonding over Adam's Apple's of all things. xD

Sawaki? I wonder if she's related to sensei at all.

Fight sequences are as awesome as always.
Feb 2, 2021 8:24 AM

Apr 2012
Kosmonaut said:
RobertBobert said:

Well, actually the premise of how a straight girl feels uncomfortable because her androgyny attracts other girls, is quite common but usually it was always played with humor rather than serious research. I would even like to see something serious and without toxic stereotypes like "all tomboys are really lesbians", but I'm afraid this is not the right show for that.

At the very least, the fact that the authors are afraid to add male characters even when talking about female androgyny seems to me a bad sign in the possibility of non-stereotypical development of this topic.
Feb 2, 2021 8:24 AM
Apr 2020
I'm was kinda confused when Ai and Neiru were complementing Momoe's neck. Neiru mentioned Momoe didn't have an Adam's Apple, and it was worded as if it was a positive and then Ai just responds with you think Adam's Apples are hot too? The correlation was weird, IDK if this was a subbing issue or not.
MuteFrogFeb 2, 2021 8:29 AM
Feb 2, 2021 8:29 AM

Jul 2020
Momoe's surname is Sawaki? I wonder if she has some kind of relationship with the teacher and how it will affect the story. Still, a lot of questions unanswered, and none of the girls' past was ever explained in detail (well maybe Rika had a lot more context to it but only to a certain extent). Curious to see how the next episodes will play out!

I accept random friend requests!
Feb 2, 2021 8:30 AM

Aug 2020
holy shit.......

It just gets better every episode in every way every time everything DAIOWHNDWALONA

banger insert song, banger visuals(even more so then the last episodes imo), new character and she's a banger so far, and to top it all off, YURI?!?!?!??!

Peak fiction has been achieved.
clannad is the greatest piece of fiction to ever exist.
Feb 2, 2021 8:32 AM
Jan 2021
Marinate1016 said:
Another really dark episode, more sexual harassment and a new girl introduced. Sawaki has a lot of trauma which I’m guessing caused her to start dressing like a boy.

I’m starting to understand the dream worlds and eggs more and more with each episode. I definitely see the Madoka vibes now. Also, if you pay attention to the OP, there’s 4 eggs initially, which I assume symbolise the girls. At the end of the op, there’s only one egg left and it begins to crack.

I’m thinking we’re going to be in for a lot of suffering.

On the bright side, animation was awesome today as usual.

Nope, the OP is the same as always. The egg cracking has been a thing since episode 2.
Feb 2, 2021 8:32 AM
Jul 2018
Kosmonaut said:
Well, okay, apparently, boys' suicides are born from not achieving goals and girls' out of emotions and the 'allure of death', alrighty then. Even suicide the eggs sold by Ikuhara-esque attendants' gacha game are gendered smh my head.

I had the same thoughts.
The show - girls kill themselves because death is deceptive and girls fall for it ig.
The same show - don't care about gender, bad Neiru bad!
Like what?
Feb 2, 2021 8:33 AM

Apr 2012
Chida said:
holy shit.......

It just gets better every episode in every way every time everything DAIOWHNDWALONA

banger insert song, banger visuals(even more so then the last episodes imo), new character and she's a banger so far, and to top it all off, YURI?!?!?!??!

You don't care about the context of the yuri elements or how it was developed, but just the fact that there was some kind of yuri on this show?
Feb 2, 2021 8:35 AM

Mar 2019
Great episode. Really good one. Yuu-chan (at least her seiyuu who voices Momoe) finally arrived in the series as well. She is da real playgirl, every other girl falling in love with her after one day already.

Hmm well I am definitely on Rika's neck side here.

I really like the choice of the seiyuus as well, all of them have some idol experience.
Feb 2, 2021 8:37 AM

Apr 2012
eastsip said:
Kosmonaut said:

I had the same thoughts.
The show - girls kill themselves because death is deceptive and girls fall for it ig.
Like what?

I don't know what the show is really trying to tell us, but it sounds pretty sexist as it is.

@dlxuniuniu Well, it's actually a pretty traditional cast for all-female titles. Idol otaku don't like it very much when their idols are involved in something not very "pure". Take any Bushi's seiyu and see how strongly CGDCT and all-female dominate their portfolio.
Feb 2, 2021 8:38 AM

Jan 2009
RobertBobert said:
eastsip said:

I had the same thoughts.
Like what?

I don't know what the show is really trying to tell us, but it sounds pretty sexist as it is.

dude its japan its known for being right wing or conservative or traditional thats why the right wingers of 4chan for example loves that country so much

anime is trying to evolve to globalization left wing standards though slowly but surely
Feb 2, 2021 8:39 AM

Aug 2020
RobertBobert said:
Chida said:
holy shit.......

You don't care about the context of the yuri elements or how it was developed, but just the fact that there was some kind of yuri on this show?

it would be cool if they developed upon it more, sure, but just seeing yuri (I absolutely love yuri) in an anime that I’ve already started harboring a high opinion for is fantastic.
clannad is the greatest piece of fiction to ever exist.
Feb 2, 2021 8:39 AM

Jul 2017
Solid episode again, although the visuals this episode look a tad bit less detailed than the previous ones unsurprisingly. Wholesome ending though seeing those girls who've experienced a lot laugh together like that as a group.
Feb 2, 2021 8:42 AM

Apr 2012
deg said:
RobertBobert said:

dude its japan its known for being right wing or conservative or traditional thats why the right wingers of 4chan for example loves that country so much

anime is trying to evolve to globalization left wing standards though slowly but surely

And that's why this show is simultaneously trying to make social commentary and broadcast some pretty old-fashioned stereotypes about "boys are ambitious, girls are emotional"?

@Chida No, good for you, of course, but it scares me when people turn yuri into such a fetish that it's already good in itself, no matter in what context or where.
RobertBobertFeb 2, 2021 8:47 AM
Feb 2, 2021 8:46 AM

Feb 2019
eastsip said:
Kosmonaut said:

I had the same thoughts.
Like what?
What do you mean? Doubting the truth, SJW? As a Man™, I don't have e m o t i o n s, I have Goals. And I sure as hell would never be deceived by my negative feelings (I don't have any, because I'm a Man™) to kill myself and regret it afterwards... like a girl.
Feb 2, 2021 8:50 AM

Apr 2012
Kosmonaut said:
eastsip said:

I had the same thoughts.
Like what?
What do you mean? Doubting the truth, SJW? As a Man™, I don't have e m o t i o n s, I have Goals. And I sure as hell would never be deceived by my negative feelings (I don't have any, because I'm a Man™) to kill myself and regret it afterwards... like a girl.

Well, if we develop this theme, then we can come to the conclusion that Momo's subplot is homophobic, since it implies that girls fall in love with others because of their masculine androgyny, and to love someone of the same gender sincerely is a "big deal" due to "deliberately exceeding gender barriers". lol.
Feb 2, 2021 8:51 AM
Apr 2020
Actuall wanted to say
Kosmonaut said:
RobertBobert said:

I actually wanted to say one more thing about this, I feel thats not really what the anime is going for. If the point was girls only like her because she's masculine, then that one girl with short hair completely defeated the entire point. She said it didn't matter if Momoe was feminine or not, she still loved her. I'm not sure if Momoe wants the girls she saves to like her because it seems she rarely mentions she's a girl. I feel she might be dressing more masculinely in order for girls to like her but still wants to be perceived as a girl.
Feb 2, 2021 8:51 AM

Jan 2009
RobertBobert said:
deg said:

And that's why this show is simultaneously trying to make social commentary and broadcast some pretty old-fashioned stereotypes about "boys are ambitious, girls are emotional"?

@Chida No, good for you, of course, but it scares me when people turn yuri into such a fetish that it's already good in itself, no matter in what context or where.

like i said japan is still conservative and isolated for decades especially when it comes to anime so give it some more time like years before the anime industry evolves more

so for now just be tolerant of this cultural conflict going on with japan and the west
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Wonder Egg Priority Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ashhk - Mar 30, 2021

412 by thatgirluwu »»
May 30, 4:40 PM

» 2nd season ?

Aritra_Choudhuri - May 11, 2022

23 by Kizuki01 »»
May 20, 9:27 PM

Poll: » Wonder Egg Priority Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ashhk - Mar 23, 2021

302 by Kizuki01 »»
May 19, 10:58 PM

Poll: » Wonder Egg Priority Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Mar 16, 2021

364 by Kizuki01 »»
May 19, 9:36 PM

Poll: » Wonder Egg Priority Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Mar 9, 2021

170 by Kizuki01 »»
May 19, 8:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.