Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 4, 2008 6:58 AM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So it was Nina who shot Johan. That explains why she was saying "Please kill...". But I wonder what happened to Johan, to turned him into such a monster.
Feb 4, 2009 11:16 AM

Jul 2008
The dude was killing his parents at age twelve, ok he is a monster.
Feb 7, 2009 2:40 PM

Oct 2008
It seems that Johan uses the hypnosis on his accomplices...
Aug 8, 2009 7:58 AM

Jul 2009
psygol said:

I think it's more sheer fear of him and his presence than hypnosis
Aug 8, 2009 7:09 PM

Aug 2009
psygol said:

No, i think he was controlling that guy with just the promise of money, since its all he cared about and was willing to kill for it
Oct 10, 2009 5:06 AM

Sep 2008
This was the most intense episode yet. Was sitting at the edge of my seat the entire time. I can see why this anime is so highly rated. I really hope they keep this up for the remaining 60 something episodes.
Jan 18, 2010 12:03 PM

Sep 2009
Damn..... this is awesome...
Soooo intense, if this keeps going like this until the end it will be the best anime I have ever seen, this episode explained a lot actually, Johan was a genius from waaaay before he got into hospital under Dr. Tenma. Therefore, it was possible for him to kill those three 9 years ago. BUT I do not understand 1 thing. Why did Johan ask Nina to kill him? Was it because he was psychologically broken? Or maybe he predicted that he will be saved... But that is too risky, I mean.... he asked to be shot to HEAD!!!! He survived because of a miracle.
No sig :(
Jan 26, 2010 1:44 PM

Jan 2010
So it was Nina who shot him...
It just keeps getting better and better the more I watch.
\
Mar 29, 2010 3:20 PM

Aug 2009
Monster! I am so glad that I am finally watching this and that I waited for the dub. I knew I would never be able to commit to something of this length in subbed version. It has been worth the wait! It seems really really good so far and I love the villain, have not seen one so badass in a while. Also, Karen Strassman is my lady love ever since Code Geass. I hope Nina doesn't get killed off too quickly.
May 27, 2010 10:06 PM

Sep 2008
Yeah, it's all your fault, Tenma, you ruined all of Mamiko Noto's hard work.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 10, 2010 3:04 AM

Mar 2010
Where the hell did a 10 year old kid found a gun??And why would it kill his family??It can't be that lunatic.I expect a better explanation from the lips of the culprit..That damn investigator found the tie.Now Tenma will be accused and chased..
Nov 6, 2010 6:40 PM

Mar 2010
yup shouldnt have left nina all by herself

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
May 11, 2011 8:24 PM

Oct 2008
Wow. o_o
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Dec 17, 2011 1:05 AM

Apr 2010
it's hard to believe this show isn't heavily circulated throughout the anime fanbase... such an amazing series and should have been a mainstream hit.

Zell182 said:

I think it's more sheer fear of him and his presence than hypnosis

agreed. i believe Johann uses 'fear' as a means of manipulation, as stated by the blind vet... money was just part of the equation, or at least that's how it seems anyway. the detectives are a little more difficult to figure out; i began thinking they were just crooked cops on payroll... seems like there's a little more to it -_-"
Feb 11, 2012 2:17 PM

Mar 2009
So Nina and Tenma have gone their separate ways.
Jun 19, 2012 7:44 PM

Jun 2009
God damn, I forgot how incredible this series is... my favorite scene of the series so far is Tenma trying to revive the obviously dead bodies. He was just freaking out and found his reaction....very human. Also Nina going into shock was well done as well.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 7, 2012 2:13 PM
May 2012
The scene in the police car was so intense. Had no idea how that bit was going to play out.
Sep 10, 2012 4:54 AM

Jun 2009
I'm enjoying this ... but it is very predictable!
It was so obvious that was he who killed their parents! and she was the one who shot him from the moment she screamed in the hospital!

I hope for a plot twist!...this anime can't be so predictable!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Sep 16, 2012 11:05 AM

Nov 2009
this series is so intense at times, I just hope that it can keep that intensity up because I'm not exactly sure how a series could stay that intense for 74 episodes... On a side note wouldn't Tenma be better off and save more lives if he went back to doing all the brain surgeries he is doing?
Sep 18, 2012 5:18 PM

Nov 2011
Rockkun said:
The scene in the police car was so intense. Had no idea how that bit was going to play out.

That was great and suspenseful.

You would think that after being in a profession that deals with the dead on a frequent basis, that Tenma would have gotten accustomed to dead bodies.

I'm very interested in knowing what Johan's motives are. I pray it's not one of those "he's evil just because."
Nov 21, 2012 9:58 PM

Mar 2012
AzureBlues said:

I'm very interested in knowing what Johan's motives are. I pray it's not one of those "he's evil just because."

Agreed. I'm surprised that Johan was doing this before the start of the series.
Dec 16, 2012 1:17 PM

Feb 2012
So Nina went missing again okay...

About Episode:

I knew it that Johan couldn't forgive those parents his evil alright. But I don't know why he did this and what motives he had. I mean Maurer was just a nice guy and I really liked him too. Too bad there is not going to be much development happening in this series. I mean others not Main cast.

It sure was weird when those detectives came without siren lights or anything from the car. I already thought they are Johan's alliances but no luckily they were real detectives. Looks like there will be some kind of competition maybe later between detectives because many of them is interested in this case. I wonder why that detective had blood in him.

So Nina was one who shot Johan and of course it's bad that he now lives but it couldn't been helped.

Tenma had no idea that he could become that kind of monster and hurt everyone. Probably Nina is going to avenge his families and get her revenge to her brother. It's also very nice that Nina forgive Tenma's actions and he knew Tenma had no choice in this one because that what doctors usually do.

So Rungus detective is on the move again and founded one clue already necktie it seems this belongs to Johan or Tenma. so maybe they try to analyze that in the next ep. Not sure what's going to happen in the next episode yet.

5/5 Nice but very sad episode.
MixxuDec 16, 2012 1:21 PM
Jan 27, 2013 9:09 AM

Jan 2012
The truth is unfolding fast. So it was Nina who shot her brother.

Apr 22, 2013 9:12 PM
Apr 2011
Algirdyz said:
Damn..... this is awesome...
Soooo intense, if this keeps going like this until the end it will be the best anime I have ever seen, this episode explained a lot actually, Johan was a genius from waaaay before he got into hospital under Dr. Tenma. Therefore, it was possible for him to kill those three 9 years ago. BUT I do not understand 1 thing. Why did Johan ask Nina to kill him? Was it because he was psychologically broken? Or maybe he predicted that he will be saved... But that is too risky, I mean.... he asked to be shot to HEAD!!!! He survived because of a miracle.

he didnt say anything until after she had already pointed the gun at him. maybe he just didnt fear death
Apr 26, 2013 3:33 PM

Oct 2012
Algirdyz said:
Why did Johan ask Nina to kill him? Was it because he was psychologically broken? Or maybe he predicted that he will be saved... But that is too risky, I mean.... he asked to be shot to HEAD!!!! He survived because of a miracle.

I guess he knew he would kill again. Those killers are always coldblooded when doing decisions.

Anyway, I am now officially addicted to this awesome anime, haven't seen such good detective thriller for years.
Apr 28, 2013 11:48 AM

Jan 2013
Great and intense
Jul 2, 2013 5:23 PM

Jan 2013
Quite a thriller! I don't know if I've mentioned this but this series reminds me of "The Fugitive" with Harrison Ford.

All of the characters intentions are up in the air right now. Why does Johan want Ana/Nina back and what will he do to/with her? What does Nina want after running away from Dr. Tenma? What will Tenma do now? I have speculations but I'd rather save them till later.
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Aug 16, 2013 11:27 AM
May 2012
As I predicted she is the one who shot Johann while she saw him killing their parents. This is getting really intense.
Sep 15, 2013 9:56 PM

Jul 2009
Intense Episode!!!

shame reporter-san and Nina's foster parent's were killed once again.

just as the reporter was about to quit smoking this happens to him :(

i already cast suspicion to the detecives the moment they went inside without questioning him or even care on why is Nina about to collapse.

even when they saw the body it look like they already know what happened before hand.

and it does raises suspicion on why the detectives were there despite the phone line being cut.

even if they're trying to get the case done by themselves it feels too suspicious without the sirens.

not to mention the blood on their clothes so of course it's more suspicious than ever.

and finally how the hell did they know Tenma being a doctor anyways??

so that's why Nina didn't like approach Johan back at the hospital.

despite Tenma doing the right thing saving the boy, sometimes the things you do don't always go in your plan.

you might be saving a killer in disguise as far as we know.

man everything went crazy just because Tenma saved Johan.

Lunge seems to be getting somewhere now!!

man Tenma should just stick to the guy instead of casting more suspicions on him!

next episode is gonna be brilliant as always!
Oct 12, 2013 10:40 PM

Jan 2011
best ep so far, the scene at the police car kept me at the edge of my seat
Nov 21, 2013 6:18 AM

Sep 2011
Well everything is lining up perfectly!

- Johan killed the 4 couples
- Johan killed his parents
- Nina killed Johan
- Tenma brought Johan back to life
- Nina fainted when she saw Johan

And I'm still in shock that there isn't actually a "monster". *facepalm* I really came into this anime with the wrong expectations. LOL
Feb 1, 2014 6:59 PM

Jan 2014
COMPLETELY HOOKED. I MUST KNOW WHAT HAPPENED

As of now, please try to refrain from looking at MAL. its a complete mess right now T-T
People of anime have whooped, roasted, beaten, and tamed my ass. I have learned my ways and will never speak that horrible word. But, believe me, MY DAY OF VENGEANCE SHALL COME(please dont take this seriously, just "trying" to be funny lol
Feb 8, 2014 11:41 AM

May 2013
I have finally begun the great "Monster."

I'm posting in this thread because it was so good that I wasn't going to stop to post in the first episode thread, lol.

So, I've heard tons of great stuff about this show and about how mind-blowingly genius it is. It sounded like something right up my alley, so I put it off for a while, so I could have something great to look forward to.

So far, so good. This anime does so many things right. The psychological factor is its biggest strength, easily. It's both extremely suspenseful and thought-provoking. The moral dilemma that Tenma is dealing with is fascinating, and the mystery regarding Johann is compelling.

In fact, Johann is the greatest part of this series so far. He's already a fascinating character, despite not knowing much of anything about him. It's the small things. The way his voice is so soft, his questioning Tenma about why it's wrong to end a life with a simple, innocent 'Why?', his fascination with fear, and how terrified everyone is with him. How'd he turn out this way? Why did he let his sister kill him? I trust that the show will answer all these questions. It'll be interesting to dive into the inner workings of Johann's twisted mind. I like to that he's not a cartoon villain: he feels and sounds genuinely intimidating, despite not doing much at all. All great stuff.

This episode was fantastic as well. As usual I can't wait to discover what happens next.

I do have a few concerns/complaints. Because the story moves so quickly, no one outside of Tenma and Nina has gotten proper characterization. Marlow got a little, but that's it. The doctors from the first episodes were all one-dimensiional jerks, and Lunge, while strange, remains a mystery. More so, I'm not sure how this anime is going to sustain its current level of quality and suspense over the course of more than 60 episodes.

Also, about this episode specifically: if Nina was the one who shot Johann, why weren't her fingerprints on the gun? And if they didn't find a gun because she threw it away, shouldn't have a thorough search turned it up? Or did they explain all this and I missed it?

In any case, I'm hooked, and glad to be watching this.
My anime blog
Latest Post: The Zero Requiem (Analysis of the Ending of Code Geass)
May 16, 2014 2:19 AM

Apr 2012
damn Johan has some gripping influence on the police. That realization that the cops were up to no good was intense.

Jun 2, 2014 2:47 PM

Feb 2012
i'm really curious what there is left to happen in 70 episodes. i wish nina wouldn't have disappeared; tenma will obviously be the suspect for every crime/murder that has happened thus far and of course his story won't be believed like times before because there's nobody to vouch. this is getting way too intense
Sep 17, 2014 2:33 AM

Nov 2011
Now this is a crime thriller. I hope the quality stays this high going forward.

The reactions to the dead bodies were very well done.

The "interesting" portion to me was Johan's allowance of Nina killing him. In fact, he even seemed interested in teaching her "how to do it properly". This shows a form of twisted perversion present even in his childhood, an obsession with death and killing. It isn't natural. I do wonder how they will explain it.

Again, I don't feel that Tenma has done anything wrong in saving the boy. It's not like he even knew.

I wonder how the police have been leveraged. Money again? If so, where is Johan getting all of this money? The bridge jump was crazy.

Excellent episode.
Dec 15, 2014 1:18 PM

Aug 2014
Easily the most intense episode so far. Aka the best one so far. My fave scene was Tenma realizing the detectives were not good.
Jan 17, 2015 2:58 AM

Nov 2013
So it turns out it was Nina who shot Johan. It all makes sense now!

Tenma and Nina escaping from those detectives by jumping off the bridge was pretty epic.

So I'm assuming those detectives were under Johan's control. I wonder if he bribed them with money and if so how did he attain a sufficient amount of money to hire so many hitmen?

I wonder why Nina ran away? I'm curious as to what she is planning to do.

Looks like inspector Lunge has found even more evidence pointing towards Tenma. This is not looking good for our dear doctor.

Great episode. This anime has serious potential to be even better than Death Note if this keeps up.

That OP song is seriously catchy as hell. One of the few OPs I listen to every time.

8/10

Feb 8, 2015 2:11 PM

Jun 2014
This anime is just like a really bad long dream. Not saying it bad or anything, just the grim story xD
Feb 11, 2015 1:45 PM

Nov 2014
So far every thing happened as I expected, still enjoying the show tho.
I just don't believe this anime is 74 episodes, hopefully more intense and interesting stuff is to come.
Mar 5, 2015 7:39 PM

Aug 2014
Hmm I wonder if Johan was born fucked up or something changed him at a very young age.
Mar 27, 2015 12:52 PM
Nov 2014
Very intense ep, I thought those detectives were fishy as hell.

RIP Mauler& Nina's fam.

Oh wai, Nina ran away :(
Apr 15, 2015 12:35 AM

Nov 2014
What a twist. I did not expect that.

May 16, 2015 9:46 PM

May 2015
This anime is really awesome! Though it will be very interesting to see exactly why Johan is so insane. I love shows that delve into the psychology of their characters!
In the argument of sub vs dub all I have to say is why not both? Cue the Mexican music!!!!
Jun 24, 2015 9:02 AM

Jul 2014
This show is just way too good.

5/5
Jun 24, 2015 9:05 AM

Aug 2014
64SuperNintendo said:
This show is just way too good.

5/5

Couldn't agree more.
Aug 7, 2015 4:10 AM

Dec 2013
Not surprised that Nina was the one who shot Johan. He's really messed up. Didn't expect her to run away like that.
Oct 2, 2015 5:13 PM
Feb 2015
Damn corrupt cops yo.
Oct 13, 2015 12:19 PM

Mar 2015
Surprised people are still commenting, but...

genesis311 said:
This anime is really awesome! Though it will be very interesting to see exactly why Johan is so insane. I love shows that delve into the psychology of their characters!

This.
Apr 26, 2016 4:20 PM

Jul 2015
Nice episode, extremely predictable revelation but that's fine
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babykeiji - Apr 23, 2008

627 by wibugar »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Monster Episode 73 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 25, 2008

173 by ArtirSachi »»
May 6, 6:45 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

105 by puffle9000 »»
May 2, 11:25 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 3, 2008

149 by tectacles »»
May 2, 6:40 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 3, 2008

152 by tectacles »»
May 1, 8:17 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.