Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 21, 2012 6:02 AM

Aug 2012
Zero plot progress. Still over-the-top animation and cliched story. Dropped it.

Aug 29, 2012 10:36 AM

May 2012
Great episode with some nice battles and the new character Nia is quite nice though still miss Kamina!
Sep 25, 2012 10:42 AM

May 2012
ManU-Alchemist said:
I think emo phase will end by the end of the next episode. Nia seems cool but what's bugging me is the way Yoko is acting. She really needs to get out of her mental shock and help Simon.

THIS

Also, lol @ talking vagina!
Sep 27, 2012 3:06 PM

Aug 2010
dude, get out of your depression ASAP!
Jan 4, 2013 2:04 PM
Jan 2013
i really wish people would stop referring to simon grieving kamina's death as his "emo phase". simon lost his bestfriend, his "brother", the source of his inspiration, and the only parental-esque figure he's had since he was orphaned all in one fell swoop. it seems that kamina is the only one who paid simon any regard in giha village. kamina always came to simon's aid. it's only natural that simon feels as upset as he is, especially for how young he is. he didn't really have an identity without kamina and i can't expect him to be over it in two episodes. it was a deep loss and i think ttgl is handling it and pacing it perfectly.

i also think nia is exactly what simon - and possibly yoko - needs right now. a new person to drive them. i absolutely love how she, despite being so sheltered, has her own value system and follows it without any hesitation. (sound familiar? it should: it's kamina.) also she's just plain pretty.

tl;dr
simon's not emo he's grieving leave him alone.
nia is awesome and pretty.
Mar 14, 2013 4:29 AM

Nov 2008
Yoko was pretty cool there.
I kind of feel for Simon's pain but he needs to get back on his feet asap............ :/
Mar 21, 2013 6:33 PM

Jan 2013
Really got into this episode.
Entertaining
Jun 1, 2013 12:22 AM

Sep 2010
I really liked Nia this episode. <3

Hope Simon gets back to piloting soon.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Jul 6, 2013 4:09 AM

Mar 2013
drexawn said:
i really wish people would stop referring to simon grieving kamina's death as his "emo phase". simon lost his bestfriend, his "brother", the source of his inspiration, and the only parental-esque figure he's had since he was orphaned all in one fell swoop. it seems that kamina is the only one who paid simon any regard in giha village. kamina always came to simon's aid. it's only natural that simon feels as upset as he is, especially for how young he is. he didn't really have an identity without kamina and i can't expect him to be over it in two episodes. it was a deep loss and i think ttgl is handling it and pacing it perfectly.

i also think nia is exactly what simon - and possibly yoko - needs right now. a new person to drive them. i absolutely love how she, despite being so sheltered, has her own value system and follows it without any hesitation. (sound familiar? it should: it's kamina.) also she's just plain pretty.

tl;dr

Exactly this. I think people's tolerance of angsting in anime has been greatly lowered thanks to characters like Shinji, but I personally think Simon is well within his rights to spend more than two episodes grieving for his brother figure, his role model and the only person who believed in him when no one else - not even he himself - did.

Nia's cool I guess...she kind of came out of nowhere and I'm not really that sold on her just because she's cute, but we'll see how her personality develops from here.
"Go bald, Kurosaki."

Jul 8, 2013 8:10 AM
May 2012
I really like yoko before she fell in love with kamina but after that i don't know anymore also simon stop being your bro dude go create your own path for the better.
Sep 22, 2013 2:02 PM
May 2013
I hope I will get over Kamina's death. I'm like a Naruto fan who is watching a Naruto anime with Naruto dead.

I wish there was Kamina to cheer up Simon.
Oct 10, 2013 8:55 PM
Jul 2018
Keeps getting better and better.
Nov 21, 2013 3:32 AM

Dec 2012
Nia is so precious, she has 0 world experience but is so insightful at the same time. I like her eyes as well.

I too like Viral. He's probably the only beastman that I like. I just looked up his seiyuu and apparently he plays Sanageyama from Kill La Kill, another character I enjoy.
Nov 22, 2013 9:07 PM

May 2012
H00K IN SIMON!!!!
not too sure about this anime, but im definitely gonna complete it ;o
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 14, 2013 7:40 PM

Apr 2012
i really like nia. even though she's really fragile (physically), she knows how to use words and her presence is getting everyone together.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 23, 2014 6:40 PM

Sep 2012
Nia best girl.
Never forget, that if you post a topic, you're not allowed to post in it yourself, by order of MAL administration.
Mar 23, 2014 7:12 PM
Jul 2018
This episode was better than I expected. I guess they're really trying to explore Kamina as a character, even after death. I have no complaints there, he died way too early; I wish I knew him better.
Apr 7, 2014 4:44 AM

Oct 2013
not sure if i like nia or not.
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Jun 25, 2014 7:58 AM

Oct 2013
She reminds me so much of Chaika O_O
lol loved it when they were interrogating haha adorable XD
great ep hope simon is done fucking whining
[/quote]
Jul 22, 2014 1:32 AM

Dec 2013
This show feels so empty without Aniki
Aug 7, 2014 12:03 PM
Jun 2013
this show has a talking vagina in it hu. I also loved the nia scene of questions. Also are we going to keep doing this bro stroking for the whole series? I dont know how I feel about yoko. Before she just felt like she was there just for fan service and to be there so kamina can get with someone now she just feels like she exist and thats it. Maybe later on she will become better but as of now as far as main characters go shes meh. Nia was here for two episodes and I feel more attached to her.
souledge94Aug 7, 2014 12:06 PM
Aug 18, 2014 7:52 AM

Jul 2013
Hmm, usually I find the "pure, goody-goody" characters like Nia bland but I like her! The scene where she stood up to Adiane was pretty cool.

Simon and Yoko are still grieving but it's understandable.

Kittan as leader...I mean he does resemble Kamina in a lot of respects but I actually think Yoko would've made a good leader.

Zarnaav said:
I hope I will get over Kamina's death. I'm like a Naruto fan who is watching a Naruto anime with Naruto dead.

This is definitely how it feels for me too. Up until his passing he was the character who had all my attention. :(
Sep 11, 2014 12:14 AM

Nov 2011
I'm finding this pretty entertaining now. It's not particularly amazing, but most of my grievances have fallen by the wayside. Everything feels more believable now. Interestingly enough, even the "manly spirit" seems to be doing the story more justice than it used to, so I hope things continue similarly even after Simon and Yoko are able to recover from Kamina's death.

Nia is charming enough. I like her character design: I'm not sure if I would like it under normal circumstances, but given that we're dealing with a guy that is more or less "the king of DNA", it's believable enough. Besides, it's really cute. As for Nia's personality, I like how calm and firm she is under pressure. It wasn't something I particularly expected from her.

Another good episode. Keep it up!
Sep 23, 2014 12:25 PM

Apr 2014
They beat the commander way more easily than I thought they would, imagine if the Gurren Lagann was in its transformed state, it would be waaay easier.

Too bad that won't happen
Oct 21, 2014 1:11 AM

Sep 2012
Great episode. It was fun to watch.
Oct 27, 2014 4:31 PM

Jun 2013
when I started watching this show, I wasn't that into it but I gotta say it's become a lot better in the last few episodes. Kamina dieing has made for some great drama and I'm really liking Nia. I'm glad I kept watching and hopefully it continues to get better.
Nov 16, 2014 3:22 PM
Dec 2013
damm Nia is annoying as fuck
Kamina where are you?? the series has lost most of its charm
hopefully it will get better again
Dec 21, 2014 1:13 PM

Oct 2014
Simon's "depressed eyes" were well done, really showed how torn up he is about the loss of Kamina.

Nia continues to be an interesting character.
Dec 26, 2014 7:45 PM

Feb 2013
Yup, Nia is awesome. In shipping Nia x Simon. Did antbody keep hearung like a buzzing pins throughout the episode. It was really weird and a bit bothersome. I kept wondering what that was. Hopefully Simon reverts back to his old self next episode. Still kinda hard to believe Kamina is dead.
Dec 30, 2014 12:40 PM
Dec 2014
Starting to worry now that there's no hope for Kamina's return >< Nia is a really likeable character and she seems like a great match for Simon. Viral actually doesn't seem like such a bad guy, he's loyal to a fault. Getting really into this series now ^ ^
Feb 2, 2015 10:15 AM

Oct 2014
Pretty cool episode. Don't really like that weird scorpion lady though..
Feb 3, 2015 2:28 PM
Dec 2014
Yoko is so boring. She seems kinda popular among Anime fans since I see her everywhere. I hope it's not only because of her looks.

Simon will probably get his shit together soon thanks to Nia. Hope he will become a badass character after all this.
Feb 7, 2015 5:49 PM

Jun 2013
YAY FOR NIA!
Mar 1, 2015 9:25 PM

Dec 2012
watching ttgl now, I can really see the inspiration for kill la kill's outfits, they look really similar to that scorpion lady
Mar 30, 2015 8:50 AM

Jan 2012
She piss me off that little girl.just looks how the fuck she talks

Jun 14, 2015 7:10 AM

Feb 2014
Pretty good episode. The interrogation was funny and I like Nia's character. Although the action was a bit hard to follow. This series is starting to remind me of Sailor Moon or Magic Knight Rayearth with the supreme overlord telling his minions to kill his enemies.
Sep 7, 2015 1:42 PM

Mar 2012
First non-shit episode.

That girl is annoying as hell. But okay episode overall
End Zionazism
Sep 24, 2015 2:08 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Wow, didn't realize that the generals' names were DNA-based. Awesome! xD

Liking Nia more than Yoko for sure. She's sorta sinking to the back now.
Oct 1, 2015 2:14 AM
Jan 2015
I'm liking Nia so far. Her design is interesting and her curiosity towards literally everything is adorable. She also seems like someone who can inspire Simon and the others.

I didn't like when Yoko got mad at her. Hope she goes back to her old self soon cause I thought she was pretty cool up until she fell in love.

The show feels different without Kamina, I'll admit. In fact the new "leader" is more annoying than he was.

Ever since episode 8 (not specifically referring to Kamina's death) however, I've been enjoying the show more.
Nov 19, 2015 12:04 PM

Apr 2013
Hm not the worst episode, but kinda boring at times.
Nov 21, 2015 5:30 PM

Aug 2012
Nia wins the first place as the most annoying female character, pffft
After switching Kamina for Nia, the show is quickly loosing me
Jan 14, 2016 5:12 PM
Nov 2015
this "I cant do it bro" shit is getting old. 2 out of 5
Feb 8, 2016 12:05 PM

Sep 2014
So Adiane asks the King for another chance but she punished Viral when he asks for exactly the same?
Poor Viral... :(

(Getting a bit tired of Emo-Simon already)
Apr 20, 2016 4:56 AM

Aug 2014
Its ironic that Yoko has the sniper on that woman, they know she's evil but they wait for her to talk lol, shoot her already lol.
Anyway, Nia is good, but seems like nothing can replace Kamina
Good Episode.
Jul 5, 2016 1:37 PM

Jun 2016
Kamina's death has really picked this show up for me. Before that, I was just not taking it seriously. Well, the characters weren't taking anything seriously either.. it's strange that some people are actually dropping the show at this juncture. This is where I feel that it's actually getting good!

drexawn said:

tl;dr

This, a hundred times this. This is a natural reaction to getting bereaved of someone so close and so awesome. I would be pissed if he shrugged it off so easily, in fact. His mourning has been really well done.

Viral was pretty badass, saving that sadist General like that. Respect. I wonder how he'll react once he realises his arch-nemesis is dead..
Sep 15, 2016 8:17 AM

Jul 2016
Love the direction Simon's character is taking, the interrogation scene was hilarious too.
Around the gif~
"It's a big mistake to think you're the only one who can turn into a car"
- Shiori Takatsuki
Nov 25, 2016 1:18 PM

Jan 2013
I actually like Nia...I can understand why some found her to be annoying and I myself usually get annoy by this type of character. Maybe it is because of her amazing character design, her eyes are so pretty..=D

Regarding Simon, his emo angst isn't even that bad. I mean his brother figure just die and he blame himself for it. It is actually pretty mild compare to the anime like gundam.
Dec 27, 2016 4:19 AM

Jan 2013
I'm not a fan of Nia and I'm not sure if the anime is trying to replace Kamina with her.
Jan 4, 2017 4:21 PM

Feb 2016
Another boring episode. The louder the character yells is inversely proportional to the depth of character.
Cloud_IllusionJan 4, 2017 4:26 PM
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Jan 7, 2017 4:57 PM

Dec 2016
souledge94 said:
this show has a talking vagina in it hu.

I can't believe I had to go a page and a half before someone mentioned that.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Too much sexism and homophobia here, I feel bad

Dije - May 10

23 by KayKimii »»
May 10, 9:40 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

accela - Sep 29, 2007

1152 by LinaThePotion »»
Apr 25, 5:01 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Krelian - Apr 25, 2007

204 by Trash_Monkeyy »»
Apr 16, 11:27 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

windy - Aug 19, 2007

174 by TheStarscream759 »»
Apr 1, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

TheWestExit - Aug 6, 2007

217 by AbyssGundyr »»
Mar 31, 5:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.