Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Aug 3, 2022 5:46 PM

Jan 2020
Y'all need to stop sucking Satoshi Kon's 3cm penis and learn the difference between "deep and profound" and "nonsensical and pretencious".
Aug 22, 2022 7:35 PM

Jun 2020
That was a good closure. Thank god the series ended well, I was afraid it would end with another filler-like episode. But well, if you set aside the filler episodes, the series is fucking amazing. But if you include them, the series is very good. So 8/10.

Oct 9, 2022 7:39 AM
Dec 2021
excellent!! need i say more??
Dec 30, 2022 11:58 AM
Nov 2020
Tbh it was kind of obvious shounen bat was tsukikos idea. We got so many hints about it (especially from the homeless woman), i guess that’s why  it was easy to guess. However, it was still interesting to see how everything turned out. Kind of crazy to see how society emotionally depended on maromi and went crazy when the pink dog disappeared. THEN it turns out maromi and shounen bat are the same!! Crazy. I wanted shounen bat to be a real boy tho

Overall i enjoyed it except the last few episodes :)

Also it seems like history will repeat itself based on minawas calculations.
dianax31Jan 22, 2023 9:53 AM
Feb 7, 2023 12:03 PM
Jul 2021
it was THE perfect ending for this show !!!
Feb 7, 2023 12:03 PM
Jul 2021
it was THE perfect ending for this show !!!
Feb 19, 2023 5:40 PM

Feb 2017
enjoyed the first half of the series more than the second half, but the show overall was pretty good. i feel sorta confused still, like not all my questions have been answered; however, in hindsight i feel like the story wasn't that difficult to understand. 

i interpret the ending as basically the entire plot repeating itself. some person invents a being to invoke paranoia in society, everyone gets caught up in this being and it spirals into hell, some kind of big climax happens and the being disappears - then society resets. rinse and repeat. seeing this new cat creature and seeing maniwa take the place of the white haired old man kind of help me believe that this is the case. maybe that white haired old man helped to resolve some kind of past case of mass hysteria in the town. also i wasn't sure if that girl at the end was sagi or if she could possibly be the person responsible for creating the next mass hysteria.

placeholder text
Mar 15, 2023 11:19 AM
Sep 2022
So slay literally died dead :)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Mar 24, 2023 12:14 PM
Dec 2022
fatbastard69 said:
Y'all need to stop sucking Satoshi Kon's 3cm penis and learn the difference between "deep and profound" and "nonsensical and pretencious".
TRUEEEEE LMAOOOOOOOO
lets all love lain.
Jul 22, 2023 8:20 AM

Oct 2016
This series is not that weird and complicated once you get that it's meant to be allegorical, exploring Japan's mentally stressed and overwhelmed, overworked and suicidal society through its use of technology and escapist consumerism, with great visuals and directing. Too bad plot and characters are just an afterthought to deliver that message.
Aug 27, 2023 12:33 AM

Sep 2018
Meh, in the end I didn't like this show much. There were a few good episodes but as a whole it felt like it was trying to be like a David Lynch film and missed the mark.
Also these last few episodes feel insulting to the viewer's intelligence in that they out and out tell you what all the symbolism meant as if the viewer is too dumb to figure it out themselves.
I think I'd recommend people to just watch episode 8 and not bother with the rest of the series.
KristiwazhereAug 27, 2023 12:45 AM
Sep 18, 2023 4:56 PM
Aug 2022
The score is unbelievable.
Amazing journey in the society for me. There's so much thought in this.

Rest in peace dude, your movies kinda suck but this is phenomenal.
Oct 17, 2023 6:15 PM
Aug 2016
For the black mass that swept people, I think it was an actual real tsunami that came from sea and caused the destruction. I say this because of the opening lyrics:

"Carry the sound of the waves in your heart
Sink your blues
Stretch a bridge to tomorrow
Don't worry about tsunami"

I think this was literally foreshadowing for what actually happened in the last episode. This way, the non-sensical black stuff sweeping people, cars, buildings, etc. instantly makes sense.

Overall, it was great. The anime lived up to its name, and was a good night time show to watch with lights off.

8.5/10 (rounded to 9)
Jan 14, 8:17 PM
Jan 2020
Nice one a refreshing experience
Feb 7, 3:50 AM
Jan 2021
Wow. What an ending. I had lost all hope in the show from episode 8, but now I completely understand what Satoshi Kon was going for. There may have been things that let me down a bit, such as the FILLER and stylistic inconsistencies, such as the change in tone from dark and gritty to goofy and silly, the isekai-esque moments, the random divergence from the plot, etc., but I absolutely love the core idea of the show. The metaphors were handled carefully and delivered well. The messages were subtle and delivered with sophistication. The plot remained consistent with the reveal and was genuinely exciting when it was being followed (which makes me excited to rewatch to see what I missed). Somethings weren't handled too great, but everything that was, was handled perfectly.

I love the social commentary, coming from a time of great struggle for Japan. The loop to the beginning was perfect, and so true to society even 20 years later. Everyone is trapped within the rat race, on their digital devices, and no one takes the time to reflect on it. Many of us aren't living sustainable lives, but we use escapism as justification, as if that is productive for anyone. 'It looks just like when the war ended'. Even in peace or conflict, we are all silently struggling. The section with Manikawa replacing the old man was great, as well. Desperately searching for answers as to what has went wrong, only to realise that the cycle constantly continues.

I do wonder as to how much I missed by not knowing Japanese. Someone pointed out that Shounen Bat is a play on words, with Shounen Ba meaning a time of struggle in Japanese. All the characters have names referring to animals, and they somewhat resemble the characters in build as well (Tsukiko 'Sagi' meaning heron, 'Kawazu' meaning frog, etc.). I wonder if there's any other things hidden through translation.

This show was a rollercoaster of emotions. I've landed at a 7.5/10, which I'm going to be rounding down to a 7. Typically I would round up, but I feel the need to be critical as I thought that episodes 5,8,9, and 10 were letdowns. Given that that's almost a third of the show, I feel that it's justified. 7/10 for great ideas, metaphors, atmosphere, and plot, and 3/10 taken away for:
1. the inconsistent delivery, with tone changing from dark and gritty to goofy and silly, the sometimes out of place/unnaturally introduced art style changes, the sudden shift from a plotline grounded in reality to one of fantasy, etc.
2. the filler episodes that probably should've been released as extras, or maybe just not been in the show in the first place (although many people will disagree with me, and some even enjoyed the exact opposite of what I did, liking the short stories instead of the plot)
3. The sudden breaks in the plot, and how they detracted from the mood and suspense.

Rest in peace Satoshi Kon, and thank you for the experience you gave us.

(My interpretation, even if most of it was clarified in the end:
- Everything is a metaphor, even down to the hysteria of the people and the news stories of Shounen Bat.
- SB is a personification of mental trauma, and his attacks are a metaphor for death caused by stress or mental health, typically from suicide.
- The media's broadcasting of the SB attacks is actually the media referring to the Japanese suicide trend.
- Maromi is a symbol of escapism, including all the ways that people escape, such as media, consumerism, work, etc.
- The black wave was a metaphor for mental struggle and suicide. The destruction of the city was a symbol of the devastation left behind by such things. This was especially relevant at the time of Paranoia Agent's release.
- The radios/'broadband' were a metaphor for the way that the internet and media contributed to the suicide culture of Japan.
- Kozuka, the fake SB, blamed the elderly people for orchestrating the attacks as a symbol of how the younger generation are left behind the burden of the last generation.
- The final scene represents the search for answers on how to solve society's problems, only for the answer to be that it there's a never-ending cycle of problems that people refuse to acknowledge/face.
)
lkj509Feb 7, 4:10 AM
Mar 21, 4:16 AM
Jan 2022
bruh what was that
May 7, 7:24 AM
Mar 2024
no fim do dia os maiores vilões da sociedade continuam sendo as grandes corporações, a menstruação, daddy issues e a hello kitty.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arashi89 - Aug 7, 2009

90 by pennyisirl »»
Apr 21, 7:53 PM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Arashi89 - Aug 7, 2009

68 by LithiumHead9 »»
Mar 6, 1:01 AM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

LibreKoi - May 24, 2009

63 by lkj509 »»
Feb 7, 2:41 AM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

LibreKoi - May 24, 2009

62 by lkj509 »»
Feb 7, 1:45 AM

Poll: » Mousou Dairinin Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

kawaiimisato - Apr 11, 2009

105 by lkj509 »»
Feb 6, 5:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.