Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 28, 2020 10:51 PM

Dec 2019
Just wondering why people dislike the show mainly due to its writing and story. I admit it was confusing at first but it eventually begins to shape it's identity I'm really stumped
Nov 28, 2020 10:58 PM

Oct 2010
because it's boring, almost no action and random talk, you don't even understand the setting, who build the domes? why is it dangerous outside? and it's not like the show feeds you info, you have to follow it carefully to understand it. some episodes are confusing and look ridiculou, the mall episode for ex. also they explain the plot in a weid weel of fortune episode where everything is happy and cute.
I understand why people don't like it and the concepts are hard to tackle, all that stuff about the proxies and what they are. anyways, I love the anime, the manga is a gem too, it tells a story happening some time before.
Nov 28, 2020 11:07 PM

Dec 2019
Catalano said:
because it's boring, almost no action and random talk, you don't even understand the setting, who build the domes? why is it dangerous outside? and it's not like the show feeds you info, you have to follow it carefully to understand it. some episodes are confusing and look ridiculou, the mall episode for ex. also they explain the plot in a weid weel of fortune episode where everything is happy and cute.
I understand why people don't like it and the concepts are hard to tackle, all that stuff about the proxies and what they are. anyways, I love the anime, the manga is a gem too, it tells a story happening some time before.

I agree with your post on the plot exposition and writing. I think a reason what attracts me to the show is that it feels so different after watching a lot of other anime that this kinda feels like strange and alluring which is what dragged me into the medium but after each series consumed it felt like I'd grown accustomed to it which made me sad but Ergo Proxy feels so enticing
Nov 28, 2020 11:50 PM
Jan 2020
Ergo Proxy is criticized for its disproportionate volume of dialogue that tries very hard to be philosophical and smart but quickly becomes repetitive and nonsensical, even laughable. The show presents itself well initially, but that the pacing and intrigue deteriorates into irrelevancy. Especially, as a consequence of the inclusion of several filler episodes that renunciate stuff the viewer has already figured out. At the same time, the characters are revealed to be one-dimensional and utterly uninteresting. It meanders, then meanders some more, and then the viewer doesn’t really care anymore. It’s too bad
Nov 29, 2020 12:01 AM

Aug 2018
The show is very dense. Usually, this isn't a problem. If invested, I'll take the time to try and truly understand everything. But, this show was so mind-numbingly boring, slow, and uninteresting that I didn't feel like putting in the effort to understand it.
Nov 29, 2020 3:24 AM

Jun 2020
It's pretentious, redundant, and "Tell, don't show" type of show.

"You don't get it, a million sorry's is not equal to one thank you." — Emilia
Nov 29, 2020 4:13 AM

Feb 2019
Ergo proxy rating 7.93
How can you tell people don't like it
Nov 29, 2020 4:22 AM
Jun 2020
I watched a few episodes years ago and for some reason, although I liked it, I stopped watching. I vividly remember appreciating Re-l to an extreme degree even though I admit anime itself was slow and didn't understand much of it but I ponder that as the appeal.
Nov 29, 2020 4:24 AM

Nov 2011
First of all, Ergo Proxy doesn't have a low score, with or without considering it's airing time and genre. But I agree that Ergo Proxy's "haters" are more vocal than Lain's or Texhnolyze's "haters".

From what I heard, many people call it the perfect example of pretentious anime. I disagree with it though.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Nov 29, 2020 4:25 AM

Nov 2013
I remember the first 7 episodes were amazing psychological mystery with great atmosphere, then it went to become silly romantic comedy after Vincent and Mayor escape from the city. After that the last few episodes try to wrapped up said 7 episodes but it's a case of too little too late. It's not typical anime that you see often but I still think it was shit.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Nov 29, 2020 6:01 AM
Sep 2018
because it's too dark, slow and depressing
Nov 29, 2020 6:40 AM

Jul 2016
I just thought it was dull and, frankly ugly. I'm really not a fan of the "all-grey muted colour palette" and it doesn't help cover up some really bad artwork around the show's midsection, which is where I dropped it.

The only thing I kinda liked was the character design, which I think is the main reason a lot of people get drawn to the show. I know I get at least a little hypnotised when I look at Re-l, she's gorgeous. Her eye shadow's the only thing in this show that's got any colour to it so it draws you in like a moth to a flame.
Nov 29, 2020 9:56 AM

Sep 2020
I watched the first episode, and felt like it was just a boring version of Bladerunner. Maybe I was harsh and should return to it?
Nov 29, 2020 10:27 AM
Jul 2020
I have yet to lay my eyes on the show, but looking at it makes it seem like it's another overly pretentious dark show.
Nov 29, 2020 10:35 AM

Aug 2016
I dunno, people always either say it's boring, which is understandable since that's mainly a subjective thing, or just throw around buzzwords like "pretentious" and the like without ever really elaborating on why it's bad.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Nov 29, 2020 10:39 AM

Aug 2015
Because it´s boring and it barely develop any real plot, until it decides to do so in the weirdest way I´ve seen in anime. Who decided to drop all the infodump in a "Who wants to be a millionaire?" format?. People who weren´t paying attention to that episode missed like 80% of what really happened in the series, and the protagonist barely interacts or does something interesting.

It´s one of my favorites, but I can totally see why people just don´t like it. It happened to me with Texhnolyze, which shares some similarities with Proxy.
Nov 29, 2020 10:51 AM

Nov 2007
I think it takes some admirable risks, the mystery is pretty cool, it's a thoughtful anime with decent characters and a somewhat unique situation. Ultimately I think it is just a little boring both in execution and in terms of the territory it covers philosophically. I like when a show explores philosophical themes, but I didn't feel the themes uncovered by the end were examined in a way that shows them to be relevant to real life, or to my life at least.

Questions about things like what humans would do with god-like power, what God is like, is fate real, etc. are a little too grand. They're just not that important to me. On top of that, some of the episodes in the latter part of the series that were about characterizing the main protagonists while they were travelling together were hit or miss. Episodes like Pino's dream or the game show, I can only describe them as, like, Cowboy Bebop-esque breaks into a what feels like an alternate reality. But the show lacks the charm of Cowboy Bebop and doesn't pull that off as well. On the other hand I really liked the episode where Re-L is struggling to cope with the endless monotony of their trip. Very relatable >.> Some of those episodes were really boring and I felt a few times that I couldn't wait for the series to just get to the conclusion.

I don't really love or hate the show honestly so I'm not sure I can vote ^_^;;
ohohohohohohoNov 29, 2020 11:55 AM
Nov 29, 2020 11:51 AM

Sep 2020
It's just frustrating to watch. Action is barely there and after feasting my eyes on some tasteful direction from Shinbo, Araki or Oonuma in which they make narration look good, it's a challenge to go through some parts of that show to reach the climax towards the end.

It rewards you for your effort to stick with it until the end. When you reach that ending, you tell yourself "I'm glad I watched it" but when you have time to sit down and look over the entire thing you realize that it's simply not a masterpiece

If you're having crippling depression, hopefully our videos will send you to another world and have you reborn as an isekai protagonist
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc8rSgYdcdZUSXXqVJhNwLw
Nov 29, 2020 2:47 PM

Aug 2009
I love Ergo Proxy. I seen it five or six times already.
Nov 29, 2020 2:59 PM
Apr 2017
DemBananasFTW said:
The show is very dense. Usually, this isn't a problem. If invested, I'll take the time to try and truly understand everything. But, this show was so mind-numbingly boring, slow, and uninteresting that I didn't feel like putting in the effort to understand it.
This, pretty much. I dropped it twice and got back to it and to this day I still don't know how I managed to finish it. I think if I were to watch it right now, I'd drop it and never touch it again since I have better care of my time.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Nov 29, 2020 3:10 PM

Oct 2018
-Ryu said:
I dunno, people always either say it's boring, which is understandable since that's mainly a subjective thing, or just throw around buzzwords like "pretentious" and the like without ever really elaborating on why it's bad.

Pretentious is one of the most vague words to describe something and people just throw "pretentious".

"What do you think about it?"
"It's pretentious".
"Hmm how so?"
"Being pretentious".
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Nov 29, 2020 3:20 PM

May 2015
I love that show. Somehow I get the feeling people claiming it to be "pretentious" seem to have a fundamental lack of understanding what the word means. As for it being boring, I can see that but actions not really the point of the story
Nov 29, 2020 4:00 PM

Nov 2008
I was super bored and confused all through episode 01.

But my friend adored it and watched the whole thing. xD

Nov 29, 2020 4:09 PM

Jan 2018
Ergo Proxy is amazing, unfortunaly it's too hard to understand for some people
BARK BARK BARK ARRRGGFFF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK HSSSSSSSSS SNIFF SNIFF GRRRRR RUFF RUFF WOOF WOOF WOOF SNARL BITE BITE BARK CHOMP SNIFF SNIFF GRRRRRRRRRR RUFF WOOF BARK BARK BARK BARK ARGGGHHFFFF BITE BITE BITE WOOF HSSSSSSS GRRRROWWWL HOWLLL WOOF WOOF BARK BARK BARK ARGGGGRRRFFF BITE WOOF WOOFBARK BARK HSSSS CHOMP GRRRRR
Nov 29, 2020 4:26 PM

Dec 2007
Not sure what you mean, historically it has rated high among reviewers on various sites, and the average user rating is usually fairly high as well. I would say the general perception is that it's a great show, but not a legendary one.

I find that Ergo Proxy is an experience that gets better after repeat viewings, the rich setting and themes lend itself well to rewatching. It also has quite a unique sound profile, one of the most slept on anime soundtracks. I think every anime fan ought to try it, but admittedly it is missing that special something to propel into the top class. If I had to pinpoint what that missing something is, perhaps the journey was not as rewarding an experience as I had hoped it to be.

Nov 30, 2020 12:55 AM

Oct 2020
This is news to me lol. Over the years I kept hearing how good Ergo Proxy is and got it recommended numerous times. I need to get on to watching it to form an opinion, but it seems like something I'll enjoy from what I heard. I'm a big fan of action, but I don't mind dialogue at all if it is well-written. I'd even go as far to say I prefer it.
Nov 30, 2020 12:57 AM

Dec 2019
Timebomb420 said:
This is news to me lol. Over the years I kept hearing how good Ergo Proxy is and got it recommended numerous times. I need to get on to watching it to form an opinion, but it seems like something I'll enjoy from what I heard. I'm a big fan of action, but I don't mind dialogue at all if it is well-written. I'd even go as far to say I prefer it.

Every time heard it brought up by name in a youtube video i would hear how "pretentious it is" or how its so confusing
Nov 30, 2020 12:57 AM

Oct 2012
Because they have the attention span of a goldfish. They like to be told what's happening rather than inferring it through the subtext. Character growth is just all about upgrading to Super Saiyan 2 for them.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Nov 30, 2020 1:14 AM

Dec 2019
Dunky said:
Not sure what you mean, historically it has rated high among reviewers on various sites, and the average user rating is usually fairly high as well. I would say the general perception is that it's a great show, but not a legendary one.

I find that Ergo Proxy is an experience that gets better after repeat viewings, the rich setting and themes lend itself well to rewatching. It also has quite a unique sound profile, one of the most slept on anime soundtracks. I think every anime fan ought to try it, but admittedly it is missing that special something to propel into the top class. If I had to pinpoint what that missing something is, perhaps the journey was not as rewarding an experience as I had hoped it to be.

Its really confusing in that first quarter and it can be slightly frustrating but i felt the most enjoyable feeling getting to find out the little answers given but i was surprised at how well the dialogue and interactions between characters were and I also think the main characters are what actually hold up this anime. The show has bizarre episodes to be sure which can be seen as heavy info dumb episodes like episode 15 but after that heavy episode were subject to one of the best episodes in the entire series were their is a heavy emphasis on character actions and interactions over the passage of time that shows great character development
Nov 30, 2020 1:16 AM

Dec 2019
SethBigBoss said:
Ergo Proxy is amazing, unfortunaly it's too hard to understand for some people

I think its for people who have watched too much of the same old and need a new breather its definitely not a anime for people just getting into anime i feel like if you enjoyed "Angels Egg" then ergo proxy is for you
Nov 30, 2020 1:20 AM

May 2018
It's nice. Nice idea, nice setting. But it's not perfect and it has nothing too special after all. And it has two great flaws: its weird and out of place fillers which destroy all the mood, and its poor finale.

Nov 30, 2020 1:24 AM

Dec 2019
Nemo_Niemand said:
It's nice. Nice idea, nice setting. But it's not perfect and it has nothing too special after all. And it has two great flaws: its weird and out of place fillers which destroy all the mood, and its poor finale.

Id have to agree with the fillers and it is not very memorable and has nothing that lets it stand out
but i think the a portion of the fillers help add to the shows themes and atmosphere but like you said some can just plane take you out of the experience like "who wants to be in jeopardy"
Nov 30, 2020 2:15 AM

May 2018
I'd recommend you to try Texhnolyze. It's the same cyberpunk, but with no "funnies" and more stylish and thought provoking. You loved Angel Egg, so I think you'll deal with its meditative narration and weirdness.
And why haven't you watched Lain yet? It's a must.
Nemo_NiemandNov 30, 2020 2:19 AM

Nov 30, 2020 2:17 AM

Aug 2018
it's too complex for some people, i guess
Nov 30, 2020 5:21 PM
Community Mod
ウェルカムチーム™

Feb 2014
Thread moved to the series sub-board.

GUIDELINES/FAQ
AD/MD RULES
CD RULES
CE RULES
STAFF
SET BY SENPIEX
Nov 30, 2020 6:36 PM

Dec 2007
TheGuiltMan said:
Its really confusing in that first quarter and it can be slightly frustrating but i felt the most enjoyable feeling getting to find out the little answers given but i was surprised at how well the dialogue and interactions between characters were and I also think the main characters are what actually hold up this anime. The show has bizarre episodes to be sure which can be seen as heavy info dumb episodes like episode 15 but after that heavy episode were subject to one of the best episodes in the entire series were their is a heavy emphasis on character actions and interactions over the passage of time that shows great character development
I completely agree, it can be slightly frustrating at first when it feels like it's meandering, but the pieces end up falling into place nicely as the show progresses, and it becomes more and more fun to hang out with the characters. I feel the same in that the character interactions are largely what hold up the show. It's a rarity to get good dialogue in anime, so it's definitely a stand-out in that sense.
Nov 30, 2020 7:54 PM

Dec 2019
Dunky said:
TheGuiltMan said:
I completely agree, it can be slightly frustrating at first when it feels like it's meandering, but the pieces end up falling into place nicely as the show progresses, and it becomes more and more fun to hang out with the characters. I feel the same in that the character interactions are largely what hold up the show. It's a rarity to get good dialogue in anime, so it's definitely a stand-out in that sense.

yeah i was genuinely surprised also it has some funny humor i didnt expect like Re-L losing her mind over the toilet seat is so fricking hilarious and even the smaller things like vincent having a hole in his sock and the way he covers the hole like what a normal person would do im not going to rant anymore sorry Im just in the middle of loving this show
Dec 1, 2020 12:06 AM

Dec 2019
Rishiri said:
it's too complex for some people, i guess

I think its more like you either need to have a taste for this kind of arthouse film or have watched too much mainstream stuff and are looking for something new and interesting
Dec 1, 2020 12:18 AM

Dec 2019
Nemo_Niemand said:
I'd recommend you to try Texhnolyze. It's the same cyberpunk, but with no "funnies" and more stylish and thought provoking. You loved Angel Egg, so I think you'll deal with its meditative narration and weirdness.

I've only recently heard of lain but the concept sounds very dai satou like
Nemo_Niemand said:

Im not sure why it flew under my radar all these years it might be because i was more of a manga guy I like reading more plus I never really searched for anime i just kinda watched whatever was in my recommendation on youtube i was a bit late to animated movies I've never seen a Hayao Miyazaki film except for part of Kikis Delivery but first animated movie i watched was Akira and Perfect Blue which my counselor recommended so i watched Satoshi Kons other movies
Dec 3, 2020 1:52 PM

Jun 2019
Nemo_Niemand said:

Ergo Proxy has no fillers. In the first place, it's an anime original with no preceding manga or other source material it derives from, so everything that is in the series is canon content intended to be there. And second, every single episode without exception is absolutely relevant and augments the story the series is seeking to tell - if not directly narratively in a simple A - Z linear fashion, then thematically. Every episode is there for a reason and the ones folks commonly decry as "filler" aren't actually filler. It's just not a traditional linear-told story. Episodes that focus on Slice of Life, surrealist dream and introspective psychological sequences, bottle episodes, side journeys, and exposition and worldbuiding are every bit as relevant to the whole as the more traditionally structured plot-advancing episodes. The series wouldn't be what it is without them, would be more "lean" and consequently run-of-the-mill but ultimately just a "streamlined", lesser product for zero benefit.
Nov 18, 2023 8:26 PM
Oct 2023
I started about 2 weeks ago and loved the first 2 episodes. Now at episode 7 and considering dropping the show. It’s an incredible slow burn with lots of philosophical bs that honestly make no sense. They tried really hard but the delivery is sub par at best. I love Re-L though.
Mar 30, 12:12 AM

Aug 2014
I really enjoyed the heck out of the first 8 episodes. Captivating, intense, amazing. It had everything going on.

And oh man, did I LOVE that episode 8, INTENSE

But starting on episode 9, the anime just wasnt the same. And im not talking about "boring" or "too dialogue". The anime lost what made it amazing, even before the middle episodic episodes.

The WOW moments were no longer as intense or captivating.

It really became a drag to keep on watching, especially when REAL and Vincent were together alone in the later episodes. I honestly just stopped caring for everything. Not even the beauty of REAL could keep me interested
oooo3333Mar 30, 12:33 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

xel - May 31, 2008

93 by LonewolfNBU »»
Apr 12, 10:55 AM

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

WinterNightsFall - Aug 20, 2008

78 by yojuno »»
Mar 26, 10:41 AM

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

WinterNightsFall - Aug 20, 2008

71 by yojuno »»
Mar 26, 12:23 AM

» Ergo Proxy Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Aokaado - Dec 27, 2006

236 by llamav »»
Mar 18, 12:42 PM

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

xel - Jun 7, 2008

100 by llamav »»
Mar 7, 4:47 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.