Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 3, 2008 9:26 AM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This episode was so damn good! What a twist! I never imagined it was Johan who was behind these homicides, let alone those 3 homicides commited 9 years ago, right after he had a brain cirurgy.
Aug 1, 2008 4:45 PM

Jun 2008
Hmm.. Something about this episode and the way the twist was done wasn't all that believable. I mean, I can buy that Johan has become a killer after 9 years, but WHY did he use poisoned candy 9 years ago? HOW did he know that they would eat it? lol. Seems like a very illogical and undependable way to kill someone. Where did he get the poison anyway? I mean, he was a kid in a hospital bed for cryin' out loud. With a bullet wound in his head.

Oh well, I'll continue watching the show.
Oct 11, 2008 2:58 AM

Feb 2008
Holy fuck.

This episode just sent chills down my spine.
Feb 3, 2009 9:53 AM

Jul 2008
Johan is quite creepy.
Jun 22, 2009 1:31 AM

Jun 2009
I absolutely love the pacing of this show, it's near perfect
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 4, 2009 5:25 PM

May 2009
Veronin said:
Holy fuck.

usasoldiern said:
Yeeeeeees! It's amazing! Gah! I have to keep watching! The story is so intersting..
Jul 8, 2009 12:29 PM

Apr 2009
As much as I love this series so far, it was predictable to me that Johan was going to be evil from the very beginning. Nobody else saw that coming? Ah well, its still really well done, and Im enjoying it very much so far.

Aug 7, 2009 9:55 AM

Jul 2009
Excellent episode...I love Johan has a character and I can't wait to watch more.
Aug 11, 2009 11:48 PM

Sep 2007
o_o Am I the only one completely bothered by Johan's voice? I mean he's got a handsome face, strong build, yet he has this, "I never went through puberty" voice. I get that he's a little on the crazy side but dude. I'm not giving up on the series but that was a mini let down for me.
Oct 9, 2009 7:06 AM

Sep 2008
This episode was really tense. Loved it!
Jan 12, 2010 10:33 AM

Apr 2009
stAtic91 said:
Veronin said:
Holy fuck.

usasoldiern said:
Yeeeeeees! It's amazing! Gah! I have to keep watching! The story is so intersting..

That!
Jan 18, 2010 7:50 AM

Sep 2009
Very good story imo. It is developing very nicely.
I just wonder how could Johan have killed those three 9 years ago?
I mean he was a kid, how could he have known which bottle is poisonous. There are plenty of poisonous liquids i hospital :D maybe a lucky guess...? And how did he get the poison into the candies without opening the bag? It was sealed as I remember. It could have been done with a syringe, but you should do it with every candy in the bag, which is nearly impossible, especially for a kid. And lastly, how could he have predicted that those 3 will eat the candy? There were tons of presents around him, and he was unconscious for a long time, therefore couldn't have known how do they look and the whole back story. I hope this will get explained later on. Because now, it is a huge plot hole.
No sig :(
Jan 24, 2010 8:46 PM

Jan 2010
Wow. I loved this episode.
Especially with how cold he is... <3
\
May 8, 2010 4:56 AM

Apr 2010
Algirdyz said:
I mean he was a kid, how could he have known which bottle is poisonous. There are plenty of poisonous liquids i hospital :D maybe a lucky guess...? And how did he get the poison into the candies without opening the bag? It was sealed as I remember. It could have been done with a syringe, but you should do it with every candy in the bag, which is nearly impossible, especially for a kid. And lastly, how could he have predicted that those 3 will eat the candy? There were tons of presents around him, and he was unconscious for a long time, therefore couldn't have known how do they look and the whole back story. I hope this will get explained later on. Because now, it is a huge plot hole.

haha! great analysis! i never thought of all these things!
Jun 18, 2010 10:48 AM

Jun 2010
I knew that Johann is behind all this!
I just knew it!
Jul 9, 2010 3:31 PM
Jun 2010
There's two things I still don't understand:

1) Did Johann want to kill his parents ? If yes, why did he end up being "almost dead" if it was him who hired the killers.

2) I don't buy the candy poison thing... doesn't seem possible :/

Jul 14, 2010 11:59 PM

Feb 2010
I just watched the first 4 episodes today and it's already a great show. Even if a Knew Johann was behind it (I read too many "who's your favorite villain" threads to not know it ^^) they were keeping me on the edge. I look very much forward to the rest of the show :)

Have to agree though, the poisoning 9 years ago is a bit strange. How did he seal the bag? How did he know that they were taking exactly this bag? I hope we get some answers about this.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 15, 2010 3:43 PM

Nov 2009
Indeed pacing is good. The fact that this is episode 4/74 is quite awesome i may add.
Sep 7, 2010 11:52 AM

Mar 2010
Johan's face is so angelic..Who would have thought he is a lunatic serial killer..And his voice is so mysterious..It sends chills down my spine.
Oct 1, 2010 10:26 PM

Jun 2009
Algirdyz said:

Frankly, it's far to early to consider anything a plot hole in episode 4 of a 70+ episode series.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 6, 2010 4:34 PM

Mar 2010
great episode the detective sure is a grat mystery

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Nov 16, 2010 9:53 PM

Oct 2008
Wow, how insane.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Jan 29, 2012 6:57 AM

Oct 2009
Getting gooood ^^
Feb 8, 2012 10:47 PM

Mar 2009
I don't like Johan's voice.
Feb 22, 2012 3:40 PM

Oct 2011
Really felt bad for the patient even though we didn't know him for long. Johan is definitely a cold hearted killer.
Apr 11, 2012 1:43 PM

Apr 2009
Okay, so, the little boy, who was saved by Tenma 9 years ago, now is some sort of killer. I wonder how is his sis doing.
Jun 18, 2012 7:55 PM

Jun 2009
I can't really see how anyone could consider this a plot twist, though. I mean the entire premise is about " A doctor saving a child's life only for him to turn out to be a killer" so it's kind of obvious this would happen.

What people aren't paying attention to are the moral and psychological implications of what Tenma found out. Think about: he'd always looked at his saving Johan to be a "wonderful" turning point in his life, where he'd discovered that saving lives is much more important to him than accolades and promotions. Only to find out that the "innocent boy" he'd helped is a killer and quite possibly the one responsible for his success. All of this was beautifully illustrated by his collapse after being questioned by Lunge.

About the poison candy thing, I don't know. I'm sure it gets cleared up, but I can't remember. I know I like Johan's voice, though. The youthful feeling it has just compliments his "innocence", which was shown when he asked "why?" when Tenma said he shouldn't kill.

- Geralt of Rivia
Sep 13, 2012 5:39 PM

Nov 2009
Weirdly I saw that coming, however I thought that the twin sister would be involved in all of this somehow too, wonder if she is still alive or if she was killed... or maybe she is the true mastermind.
Oct 20, 2012 2:34 AM

Dec 2007
Johan's voice bothers me.
Dec 16, 2012 6:53 AM

Feb 2012
Johan why did you do all this?...

About Episode:

Well first part was just recapping and wow that patient screams were really scary so Johan hired those guys to do it after brain surgery he had and 9-years after again he poisoned that guard with his candies.

Johan voice is kind of creepy but he look like a noble man haha. I have to say violin part of this episode was just EPIC and it's fit to atmosphere of the show.

Nice to see that Junger guy wants to Tenma to be his parent I mean they seemed so close. Also he seems to be pretty quick in disappearing places because in that hospital he just run away quickly haha.

Oh Johan doesn't feel anything so he don't have feelings for anyone else than maybe Tenma. I guess we cannot anymore see Jungers his out of the game.

It's nice to see there is some peaceful scenes also in anime so it's not always horror and mystery stuff.

I'm not sure but did that rungus detective somehow sensed situation with those shaking hands. Or did Tenma tell him everythting what happened in that building.

Oh man Tenma if you haven't saved that boy this maybe could not happened but what is done is done. Haha that Tenma's friend doctor is only thinking about dating.

So Johan is main suspect here. This is getting interesting. 72 episodes to go and now I am sure questioning is going to start.
5/5
MixxuDec 16, 2012 6:57 AM
Jan 9, 2013 12:16 PM

Nov 2012
Never seen a detective show this predictable before. It may just be that I grew up on British detective shows but this was filled with cliches. I knew it was the boy as soon as his sister said "Please kill" and didn't finish her sentence. And it's also obvious he was set up by Liebert. Plus the whole "typing the data into my brain" policeman HAHAHA. What utter bullsh*t. I hope this series gets better after this otherwise it's going to become the most disapointing anime I've seen.
Jan 27, 2013 2:52 AM

Jan 2012
So that boy from 9 years ago is the killer. Well it was easy to see it coming. It was kind of obvious that he had something to do with those doctors 9 years ago. Anyway, great story so far.

Feb 20, 2013 10:58 PM
Aug 2011
Well not many people seem to like Johan's voice but I do.

It's mellow but it's too mellow that it borders on creepy.
Apr 26, 2013 1:42 PM

Oct 2012
His downfall is coming.. depression on the way. This show is so good..
Apr 26, 2013 1:45 PM

Oct 2012
parfaited said:

That's why i think it was creators' intention. This feeling of uneasiness when hearing him.
Apr 27, 2013 11:20 PM

Jan 2013
Damn this shit is good.
Hard to believe there's still 70 more episodes of plot.
May 23, 2013 11:08 AM

Oct 2010
parfaited said:

I agree, his voice suits his character well IMO.
Jun 5, 2013 8:13 AM

Dec 2011
All I can say is PLOT TWIST!
Jun 15, 2013 1:13 PM
Jun 2013
Here's my guess on how/why Johan could have done it. Nine years ago someone killed his parents and sent the poisoned candy to the hospital with the intention of killing both twins. Instead, the Director and other two doctors ate it (so they may have been collateral damage). Now that Johan has grown up, he is seeking revenge. However, he hasn't figured out who actually killed his parents, so he's targeting anyone who fits the criminal profile. To add more insult to injury so to speak, he's copying the very methods the killers used back then.
Jul 17, 2013 12:40 PM

Nov 2010
Wow, that was amazing. and this is just the beginning. wtf is gonna happen next that everyone says THOSE are the best parts?

well done.
Aug 16, 2013 8:26 AM
May 2012
Well I saw that one coming It's pretty obvious and ughh the voice doesn't fit at all should have been voiced by Ono Daisuke but It doesn't bother me that much. I feel sorry for Tenma he is such a nice guy now he is fucked and that detective is annoying as hell.

70 episodes to go I wonder how things will get.
Sep 15, 2013 9:53 PM

Jul 2009
amazing!!!

and once again the suspicions is casted upon Tenma.

man he can't get a break now can he?

so it is one of the twins Johan! he doesn't look like a crazy person, but inside he's probably mentally unstable as hell due to the bullet he got during the accident 9 years ago.

wait so that means he's around 15? he doesn't look like it to be honest.

man every episode is intense! we still got 70+ more so i can't wait for more of this!!!!!!
Sep 28, 2013 7:32 AM

Oct 2010
I can't believe there are still 70 episodes of this, just how much stuff is this series going to bring?

Another perfectly paced, event-filled and masterful episode, after the little letdown that was the previous one. I wasn't shocked either about Johan Liebheart's reveal, a little about his past (I guess this will be more properly explained later), but it was kind of surprising that he appeared so soon into the story.

The series is nailing its psychological ride so far, by the way. Tenma is such a nice guy, but now he will feel like he gave birth to a monster. This is going to get so damn intense.
Oct 9, 2013 12:09 PM

Jan 2011
we all knew Johan was behing the couple murders but... the former director an the chief? how? weird explanation we got, he was a kid who d just recovered conciousness after all
Nov 19, 2013 10:01 PM

Sep 2011
Woah... this anime was completely different from what I thought it was going to be like. Is there actually no monster!? LOL

And I agree, the pacing was good, but it is a 74 episode anime... so the pacing better be good!
Jan 8, 2014 6:16 PM

Apr 2010
I totally expected the killer to be Johann. And like some of you, I'm confused about the whole candy thing too.

Jan 26, 2014 10:13 PM

Jan 2014
gosh i just got spoiled shit but i knew that johan was behind it like totally i saw it from the beginning.
anime with cute girls is my thing.
Feb 1, 2014 5:07 PM

Jan 2014
KitaTsuki said:
I totally expected the killer to be Johann. And like some of you, I'm confused about the whole candy thing too.

Same. I mean, how in the world did he put them in there, and knew they were gonna eat it in the first placd o-o. Not to mention he had a bullet wound -.-

As of now, please try to refrain from looking at MAL. its a complete mess right now T-T
People of anime have whooped, roasted, beaten, and tamed my ass. I have learned my ways and will never speak that horrible word. But, believe me, MY DAY OF VENGEANCE SHALL COME(please dont take this seriously, just "trying" to be funny lol
Apr 14, 2014 11:59 PM

Jul 2013
Bet all my money that Johan's sister was the one that shot him in the head after Johan killed their parents. Then the sister was so mentally damaged about the incident that she couldn't tell anyone. When Johan recovered, he abducted his sister to prevent anyone from finding about what Johan had done.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 26, 2014 9:55 PM

Dec 2012
Absolutely masterful episode. The scene with Junkers and Tenma having a chat in the park was really touching and surprisingly Junkers grew on me really fast. The build up to the confrontation was so intense and that reunion was surprisingly early. 70 episodes left and Johann's secret is already out to the cops. Seriously squashed my next predictions for the series, can't wait to see where this goes.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babykeiji - Apr 23, 2008

627 by wibugar »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Monster Episode 73 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 25, 2008

173 by ArtirSachi »»
May 6, 6:45 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

105 by puffle9000 »»
May 2, 11:25 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 3, 2008

152 by tectacles »»
May 1, 8:17 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kayro - Apr 3, 2008

201 by tectacles »»
May 1, 4:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.