Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 3, 2008 4:29 AM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Been wanting to start this one for a while, glad I did so. This first episode was good!
I'm glad Tenma went to operate the boy, screw that hypocrite director! =P
Jul 7, 2008 10:55 PM

Oct 2007
Kayro said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Been wanting to start this one for a while, glad I did so. This first episode was good!
I'm glad Tenma went to operate the boy, screw that hypocrite director! =P

Screw his satanic daughter too
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 10, 2008 4:11 PM

Jun 2007
yeah I was afraid it would be mad boring but it wasn't...

今はどんでん返しの時代ではない★너와 함께 했던 일상은
어느샌가 작은 영화속 풍경이되고 ☆
Aug 1, 2008 4:18 PM

Jun 2008
Very good story and premise so far. This series is very promising. I've been looking for a nice new anime to watch after Bebop, and every other show has disappointed me so far, except this one. I have high hopes for the rest of the series, although I'm a bit skeptical seeing that there's 76 episodes.

I can empathize with Tenma, and I understand his decisions. I feel sorry for him and connection to the characters is very important in an anime.

I also love the ending theme, it's very refreshing in an anime and is beautifully sung.
Sep 4, 2008 5:07 PM

Apr 2008
Very good episode, I loved the part where tenma chose to operate on the kid

oh and the Director & his daughter NEED TO BE SHOT!!
"Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. And some will lose more than the tips off their fingers, I promise you. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that"
Jan 31, 2009 10:49 AM

Oct 2008
Good start. This series promises an adult and interesting story.
Feb 3, 2009 12:49 AM

Jul 2008
Wow, I was immediately amazed with this first episode. I see myself liking this one.
Jul 4, 2009 4:02 PM

May 2009
Looks amazing. I'm expecting an adult and intersting story from this one. Hope it delivers.

Resembles the manga "Pluto" a lot! The animation style, names, places, characters etc. But that's to be expected from the same author. I haven't read Monster, but Pluto was great!
Jul 7, 2009 2:48 PM

Dec 2008
seems like something worth seeing through to the end :)

Dr Tenmaaaa
Jul 8, 2009 10:32 AM

Apr 2009
So Im finally getting into Monster after pushing it off for so long, and Im glad I did, as that first ep really hooked me. Im very interested in seeing what will happen next.

Jul 21, 2009 2:09 PM

Jan 2009
So after a lot of people telling me, lots of slaps on my face, finally downloaded Monster. I got stunned after such deep plotline for being the first episode, interesting main characters and without a doubt the sound is just amazing; the sound of the footsteps on the rain was just: O_O.

"Not all human lives are of equal importance". I couldn't even imagine what Kenzo had on his mind when Eva told him this.

Expecting LOTS from Monster.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Aug 6, 2009 12:31 PM

Jul 2009
I've already read the first volume and that shaped up to look like a great series. The anime adaptation seems perfect so far and I understand it was aired after the manga had already finished.
Oct 13, 2009 12:28 PM

Jul 2008
doctor made the right decision in my opinion
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Oct 13, 2009 8:11 PM

Jan 2009
kage-bunshin said:
doctor made the right decision in my opinion
Morally, Ethically, yes. Any other random doctor would have chosen to save the mayor over the child just to climb up in the stairs to the fame and a promotion in the hospital.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Jan 17, 2010 11:22 AM

Sep 2009
Morally and ethically child should go first but logically he should have chosen mayor imo.
I mean, child lost his parents, his sister has an extreme psychological trauma and its the MAYOR!
but then again I think he did the right choice.
No sig :(
Jan 24, 2010 3:42 PM

Jan 2010
I think he made the right choice, operating on the child.

This seems really interesting. Most of the time I get turned off by long animes but this one looks like it'll be worth it.
\
May 23, 2010 8:15 AM

Oct 2008
Well , this is a great start to what i've heard , is an awesome show . . . Lets see how it unfolds
May 27, 2010 4:01 PM

Sep 2008
I'm so sad to hear that Mamiko Noto wants someone to kill her. =[
Tenma is a nice guy to see that by saving her twin, it might save her. <3
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 11, 2010 12:28 PM

Sep 2009
Interesting opening, going to keep watching
TIME TO LIVE FOREVER BABY!

http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=19549
Please join if you love Asian Cinema :)
Aug 19, 2010 5:10 PM
Nov 2009
Hmm first ep was better than I thought. I've heared so much about this series and I will for surely continue watching. And yeah he made the right choice by operating that boy. And srsly, that hospital is corrupt lol =p
Sep 7, 2010 10:42 AM

Mar 2010
Tenma finally did the right thing.That damn director gets on my nerves.He has no morals even though he is a doctor..It must be right that anyone who has some authority gets corrupted..
Nov 6, 2010 2:57 PM

Mar 2010
great first episode, the doc is all ready cracking thats what happens when you leave all that anime back in japan

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Nov 16, 2010 8:24 PM

Oct 2008
They're all too dependent on him.

Instead of getting him to operate, they should level up their own skill.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Dec 2, 2010 10:06 PM

May 2010
ahh finally starting this one. its been waiting in my C drive for the longest time xD well, anyways, looks really good. judging by the first episode, there are people in this anime that are going to be so low that you just end up punching the computer screen. but yeah, i got goosebumps while watching this when the lady's husband was screaming at tenma. this anime is going to be a powerful one :D
Dec 25, 2010 8:13 PM

Jan 2008
seems great so far, really touched me when the widow attacked tenma.

tenma definitely acts the right way (at least if you go by the general opinion of what is right and wrong :p) operating on the child in the end, but if you look at the situation objectively it would definitely have been the better choice to operate on the mayor, and to not go against the directors orders, simply to ensure his own survival at ´this particular hospital.
"Truth is always a delusion." - Friedrich Dürrenmatt
Apr 25, 2011 11:02 AM
Apr 2008
The length of the anime has been putting me off watching it. It's nothing special so far, but I'll stick with it for a while to see if it's any good. It has potential.
Oct 20, 2011 2:41 PM
Oct 2011
looks pretty good so far:D
Nov 26, 2011 3:24 PM

Jul 2010
Can't believe that I waited this long to watch this. I know I'm in for a treat.
Jan 28, 2012 12:11 PM

Oct 2009
Love it :D but my god, Monster has the most depressing anime ED i have ever heard in my life haha.
Feb 8, 2012 9:21 PM

Mar 2009
I'd always imagined Eva's hair to be dark brown so seeing it blonde was weird.
Feb 21, 2012 9:13 PM

Oct 2011
Finally got around to watching this, and wow, great start.
Mar 4, 2012 11:54 AM

Oct 2010
i can see this is going to be one hell of a physiological thriller, i like the look of it so far, i am not feeling the art but i think i will get used to it
Apr 10, 2012 1:04 PM

Apr 2009
Can't wait to see what consequences are waiting Dr. Tenma. It's very nice and cool to save a little boy, but what about mayor? Of course it's not an easy choice when you have to choose who's life to save and answer comes depending on one's moral beliefs. But will Dr. Tenma be happy with the choice he made? We'll see... but my choice would have been different, because i believe that people are not equal. We know nothing about this boy, who he is or what he's going to become in the future, but we know for sure that mayor is a very important person and operating him would be very beneficial. And yes, whatever choice would be made - there always will be someone who would hate doctor for his decision. It's impossible to please everyone. Anyway, as long as Tenma believes his decision is right, everything should be ok i'd like to hope... but, this anime's synopsis is such a spoiler >:)
Jun 18, 2012 5:24 PM

Jun 2009
Definitely respect Tenma's choice here and how his inner turmoil was portrayed, though it'll definitely bite him in the ass. Of course, what's really interesting is what happens afterwards.

Ston3_FreeN7Jun 18, 2012 5:36 PM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 16, 2012 11:10 PM

Jul 2010
Wow.. That was crazy. Amazing. Wow. I'm so happy Tenma went to the boy though. I was almost in tears. Can't wait to find out what's in store!
Sep 10, 2012 4:14 PM

Nov 2009
thought this really would be a series about monsters, like he accidentaly changed the make up of the human brain in some way that it mutated people into creepy killers so... Not exactly what I was expecting but good none the less, although really don't like his Fiance's face, its extremely creepy.
Sep 10, 2012 4:39 PM

May 2012
Pirating_Ninja said:
thought this really would be a series about monsters, like he accidentaly changed the make up of the human brain in some way that it mutated people into creepy killers so... Not exactly what I was expecting but good none the less, although really don't like his Fiance's face, its extremely creepy.

LOL I kinda thought that too about the monsters thing when I saw a scene on tv where he was talking with a prisoner. was completely wrong but really liked the anime anyway.
Sep 10, 2012 5:05 PM

Mar 2012
Great first episode...5/5
End Zionazism
Sep 16, 2012 6:58 PM

Jul 2009
Wow, I am amazed at how good this episode is. The fiancée (to be honest), was not too far from the truth. Call me cynical, but in reality, not all lives are made equal. Of course they made the director look like a total scumbag who is solely doing it for the fame and money, but let's say a very rich businessman dies at your hospital, and you run a small hospital completely funded by this man -- I am sorry, but you have just damaged your hospital's reputation and possibly lost its only source of funding. What will you do if no one funds the hospital? What will the town's people do if your hospital is no longer around?

Dr. Tenma ethically did the 'right' thing. But was it the 'best' thing to do? And honestly, that woman should not put all of the blame on Dr. Tenma. Doctors are not miracle workers, they cannot be saving every person who steps foot in the hospital -- they are not Jesus.

But again, not all lives are equal. I'd much rather save an honest person who creates lots of jobs in his community, supports local charities, than save a person who sits in their room all day sucking the life out of their parents. Then again, this is why I don't want to be a doctor/surgeon. Too much diplomacy, and after all the years of seeing people cry and die in front of you, would probably break even the sternest of men.
Sep 21, 2012 11:54 PM
Apr 2012
Just started watching this. Can't believe this anime is almost a decade old. It can be melodramatic at times, but the premise and the dilemma faced by Tenma is really interesting.

Overall, I'm glad to have watched this after delaying for a long while. Great atmosphere, set-up, and the opening and ending themes are superb.
Nov 21, 2012 4:20 PM

Mar 2012
After years of putting this off, I finally decide to watch this anime. It was a nice first episode. It would be a tough spot to be in if you were in Tenma's shoes.
Nov 24, 2012 12:16 PM
May 2012
First episode has great. I have impressions that Monster could be an great Anime. Another work from Naoki Urasawa-sensei. I'm curious about the next episode.
Nov 24, 2012 12:18 PM

Mar 2011
Just finished the whole anime. For those of you who just started it..you're in for a huge ride
"But don't cry my friends, we are all the same.Every one of us is a human with "H" capital...
and now we are two and one of us has to be shit."
-Mr.Freeman
Dec 14, 2012 7:34 AM

Feb 2012
Wow!

This series could be really good and even though animation is really looking old it seems to fit in actually pretty good. OP had nice atmosphere and ED well it's was OK. Also this is first hospital anime's I have ever seen. Really interesting series.

About Episode:

Haha kind of scary feeling when those men came outside for the room in the beginning.

Wow that granny and especially that child eye's they seemed kind of scary and when she starts crying suddenly I was like what's wrong with him.

Also Tenma seems really great doctor that cares humans.

But that Eva his wife or whatsoever I didn't like it because she reminds me a lot of Detective Conan one of the organization members. And when they were eating on that restaurant Eva's facial expressions were really scary.

That director guy also seems really bad guy he doesn't care for others and only himself. Like when he spoke that he wants to Tenma to stop his hobby and so on.

When that granny told earlier that his husband wasn't saved because of that Opera singer operation. It was touching moment. And that is that director's fault.

Also when those policemen found that sadistic little girl who were first in shock and after they showed family in that mansion a lot of blood and so on.

This is sure going to get bloody I think so. But I am happy that Tenma picked a right choice and went to operate that boy because otherwise that boy's life was been wasted.

I am pretty sure that Mayor is going to survive. But seriously what's wrong with that little giirl in the end what she said O_O

I haven't been checking out Urasawa's work but this is first one for me and it seems pretty good, Definitely watching next episode.

5/5 This is great beginning for the series.
Dec 21, 2012 3:49 PM

Nov 2011
Finally decided to start this series to after hearing good things about it. Few of my thoughts on the first episode:

- Nice OP song tbh

- Lovely themes especially that serious tone mixed with psychological sequences

- That ending scene

- I kinda pity Tenma but I'm glad he's going to redeem his loss

Overall, nice episode. 5/5.
Dec 23, 2012 3:18 AM

Apr 2010
I think he should've saved the mayor because when the girl says kill him....I think she was talking about her brother. I think her brother killed their parents but then again he's in critical condition from what...?

Jan 26, 2013 4:49 PM

Jan 2012
Have been planing to watch this for a very long time. Finally got the chance. Well, the first episode was really good. I like Tenma already for doing the right thing.

Jan 29, 2013 10:15 PM

Apr 2012
What's wrong with all the Doctors?

All of them act exactly like Bob Kelso from scrubs. It seems that Dr. Tenma is the Dr. Cox of the series. The entire series seems so dark... and so good.
Jan 30, 2013 6:19 AM

Dec 2012
This anime seems very interesting right from the op !
Great to see that it begins in Germany, I wasn't expecting it at all xD
The beginning of the op is also amazing, I'm really looking forward to the next episodes !
Feb 20, 2013 10:14 PM
Aug 2011
Episode 1 and the Director is already pissing me off.
dis gon b gud!
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babykeiji - Apr 23, 2008

627 by wibugar »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Monster Episode 73 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 25, 2008

173 by ArtirSachi »»
May 6, 6:45 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

105 by puffle9000 »»
May 2, 11:25 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 3, 2008

149 by tectacles »»
May 2, 6:40 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 3, 2008

152 by tectacles »»
May 1, 8:17 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.