Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Did you hate the way it ended? (spoilers)
Sep 19, 2020 1:42 PM

Jan 2009
my guess is that Rath forgot to reset the time acceleration of the CPU clock of UnderWorld so thats why they have those advance science and technology now like spaceships

so is that bad for you? when the main goal of Rath all along was to create AIs anyway? so advance science and technology is inevitable anyway

#SpaceArtOnlineWillReturn

Mod Edit: Modified title for clarity and/or easier searching.
Hanabi-tanSep 20, 2020 5:56 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 19, 2020 1:51 PM
Mar 2016
I just hate that this idea and the ethics of Artificial Intelligence were not fully explored apart from a few scenes ( I do love both ideas though, that last episode when everything was advanced was an incredible moment). I wish the story continued instead of getting SAO Progressive which is essentially a remake or reboot I believe? What would be amazing is if the events of SAO progressive took place in a simulated version of earth and that's why it is separate from the original SAO series, but even that would be a stretch.

Basically I feel like the main interesting sci fi ideas and concepts introduced in this series could have been done really well if they carried on the story or didn't decide to focus on the typical sao stuff with og characters
Hotdog_AirSep 19, 2020 1:57 PM
Sep 19, 2020 1:52 PM
Mar 2016
I hope this "Inter Intelligence War" that got mentioned at the end gets an anime series that sounds epic
Sep 19, 2020 1:53 PM

Jan 2009
Hotdog_Air said:
I just hate that this idea and the ethics of Artificial Intelligence were not fully explored apart from a few scenes. I wish the story continued instead of getting SAO Progressive which is essentially a remake or reboot I believe? What would be amazing is if the events of SAO progressive took place in a simulated version of earth and that's why it is separate from the original SAO series, but even that would be a stretch.

Basically I feel like the main interesting sci fi ideas and concepts introduced in this series could have been done really well if they carried on the story or didn't decide to focus on the typical sao stuff with og characters

im sure the Light Novels have more details and exposition about that anyway also im suspecting Untial Ring arc the latest SAO arc is suppose to be that Inter-Intelligence War that will happen basically AIs vs Human intelligence war i guess
Sep 19, 2020 1:56 PM

Oct 2019
I think Higa (the blond computer scientist) is still going on with the Underworld because we saw him with the kirito of Alicization in episode 10 and he was planning on do something with it. So, it's him the man from my pov, probably. I do think we need to wait for Unital Ring or for an anime original content, I don't which one.

BTW, the idea of this new war seems very interesting!
Sep 19, 2020 1:58 PM
Jun 2020
that ending is beyond help
Sep 19, 2020 1:59 PM

Jan 2009
Famegher said:
I think Higa (the blond computer scientist) is still going on with the Underworld because we saw him with the kirito of Alicization in episode 10 and he was planning on do something with it. So, it's him the man from my pov, probably. I do think we need to wait for Unital Ring or for an anime original content, I don't which one.

are you saying Higa have a clone server of UnderWorld? thats unlikely imo considering how huge the server of UnderWorld is
Sep 19, 2020 2:02 PM

Oct 2019
deg said:
Famegher said:

are you saying Higa have a clone server of UnderWorld? thats unlikely imo considering how huge the server of UnderWorld is

I don't know but what we see at the end of this episode and what we saw in the previous episode (the plan he made with the other Kirito and what the other kirito said) made me think he can be seriously involved in some way. I'm very curious to know, there's a lot to wait.
Sep 19, 2020 2:05 PM

Jan 2009
Famegher said:
deg said:

I don't know but what we see at the end of this episode and what we saw in the previous episode (the plan he made with the other Kirito and what the other kirito said) made me think he can be seriously involved in some way. I'm very curious to know, there's a lot to wait.

the small (fluclight) cube in episode 10 and in the last scenes of the final episode is the AI copy of Kirito imo and Higa just connected that small cube to his personal computer

but ye we will know more when Unital Ring have enough chapters or volumes
Sep 19, 2020 2:09 PM

Feb 2015
I dont think the needed to go back to Underworld, they wrapped it up nicely before hand
Sep 19, 2020 2:15 PM

Jan 2009
Crashmatt said:
I dont think the needed to go back to Underworld, they wrapped it up nicely before hand

this was the premise of Unital Ring the latest novels of SAO though

The premise is: All the games from the Seed network has been merged into a single world and all the players have been reduced to level 1. No one knows how, what, when and why.

>all games

that includes the UnderWorld
Sep 19, 2020 2:25 PM

Apr 2016
deg said:
my guess is that Rath forgot to reset the time acceleration of the CPU clock of UnderWorld so thats why they have those advance science and technology now like spaceships

so is that bad for you? when the main goal of Rath all along was to create AIs anyway? so advance science and technology is inevitable anyway

Why would they forget that? I'm pretty sure it's just because of the 200 years timeskip that we now have these spaceships and advance science

200 years of Kirito and Asuna's influence on Underworld would probably do something like that, so it isn't bad at all. Pretty good imo, just rushed af

Sep 19, 2020 2:33 PM

Jan 2009
Ohmena said:
deg said:

Why would they forget that? I'm pretty sure it's just because of the 200 years timeskip that we now have these spaceships and advance science

200 years of Kirito and Asuna's influence on Underworld would probably do something like that, so it isn't bad at all. Pretty good imo, just rushed af

then why Kirito and Asuna look surprise then? like its the first time they have seen a spaceship for example?
Sep 19, 2020 2:37 PM
Dec 2015
deg said:
Ohmena said:

then why Kirito and Asuna look surprise then? like its the first time they have seen a spaceship for example?
they had their memories of the 200 years they spent wiped, so it would be like their first time seeing it
Sep 19, 2020 2:41 PM

Jan 2009
DoomWarrior said:
deg said:

they had their memories of the 200 years they spent wiped, so it would be like their first time seeing it

i thought that memory wipe was suppose to be for the underworld memory small cubes they have but ok that makes sense too
Sep 19, 2020 2:41 PM
Dec 2014
deg said:

I mean, they seemed to conveniently forget that Higa was shot and already bleeding out, or the fact that one of their robots was missing. Or the fact that those robots would need at least another year to be fully operational. Or the fact that Akihiko Kayaba hacked their main server just to dunk on Kirito.

Also, wasn't there a point Higa made about the mind of an organic person not being able to withstand 200 years? The way they presented it, it was fatal, at best. Instead, we get slightly broken Kirito (I would assume, otherwise someone became too self-aware for this show to handle), and slightly-tired Asuna.

Let's face it. Rath would be a burned husk on the ocean by now if Higa wasn't there to make sure the oven is turned off 9/10 times. The dude was both the worst of Kirito's harem, and the best part of the Rath arc outside of the Underworld. If he isn't the next arc's villain after that ominous "I wanna see what happens after I hit 88mph" line, then someone fucked up.

But, yeah, them leaving the Underworld to accelerate by another 1,000 years wouldn't surprise me. Just like Kirito's and Eugeo's students being synthesized doesn't surprise me.
"Thorkell has no resistance to getting kicked in the f-in head. To be honest, neither do I." -Captain Mack

"You've faced many life-and-death situations. But that does not make you an adult. Finding more fallen-out hairs on your pillow, watching your favorite stuffed-bread disappear from the convenience store... the accumulation of those little despairs is what makes a person an adult."-Nanami Kento
Sep 19, 2020 2:42 PM

Apr 2016
deg said:
Ohmena said:

Kirito said to Higa erase both his and Asuna's 200 years worth of memories. Well, he did it but saved them as a backup

Sep 19, 2020 2:46 PM
Dec 2014
Ohmena said:
deg said:

Kirito said to Higa erase both his and Asuna's 200 years worth of memories. Well, he did it but saved them as a backup

Higa saved Kirito's memories, and that became its own sentient AI... somehow. This actually makes me wonder if the youtube algorithm is just Akikhiko Kayaba fucking with all of us.
"Thorkell has no resistance to getting kicked in the f-in head. To be honest, neither do I." -Captain Mack

"You've faced many life-and-death situations. But that does not make you an adult. Finding more fallen-out hairs on your pillow, watching your favorite stuffed-bread disappear from the convenience store... the accumulation of those little despairs is what makes a person an adult."-Nanami Kento
Sep 19, 2020 2:49 PM

Apr 2016
SentiOnikawa said:
deg said:

I mean, they seemed to conveniently forget that Higa was shot and already bleeding out, or the fact that one of their robots was missing. Or the fact that those robots would need at least another year to be fully operational. Or the fact that Akihiko Kayaba hacked their main server just to dunk on Kirito.

Also, wasn't there a point Higa made about the mind of an organic person not being able to withstand 200 years? The way they presented it, it was fatal, at best. Instead, we get slightly broken Kirito (I would assume, otherwise someone became too self-aware for this show to handle), and slightly-tired Asuna.

Let's face it. Rath would be a burned husk on the ocean by now if Higa wasn't there to make sure the oven is turned off 9/10 times. The dude was both the worst of Kirito's harem, and the best part of the Rath arc outside of the Underworld. If he isn't the next arc's villain after that ominous "I wanna see what happens after I hit 88mph" line, then someone fucked up.

But, yeah, them leaving the Underworld to accelerate by another 1,000 years wouldn't surprise me. Just like Kirito's and Eugeo's students being synthesized doesn't surprise me.

xD, and when he forgot to put a password on the beings of Underworld? Almost thought he was the villain of the season.

Sep 19, 2020 3:14 PM
Dec 2014
Ohmena said:
SentiOnikawa said:

xD, and when he forgot to put a password on the beings of Underworld? Almost thought he was the villain of the season.

He really did have his moments as a potential villain. It impressed me that the writing allowed him to just be a convincing red herring/Kirito enthusiast. PoH should be ashamed of being shown up by the guy who couldn't even Kirito his way out of being held at gunpoint.

Also, now we need Dio edits of this guy. "You thought Kayaba trapped you in Aincrad, but it was I, Higa!"

Sep 19, 2020 4:44 PM
Mar 2016
Ohmena said:
deg said:

I agree it was very rushed. I personally would have liked to see a few episodes of Drama with Alice in the real world, like maybe her getting a really generic robot body that does not resemble her appearance in the underworld. Her questioning her existence and the purpose of such a messed up place like the underworld being created in the first place. Then go on to her getting a better body and doing the press conference dealing with government etc. After all the AI drama is covered then return to the underworld and at this point it would be a big shock because it would be placed to the back of our minds as the real world was at the forefront for previous episodes.
Sep 19, 2020 5:10 PM

Mar 2018
When they said “kirito” will return at the end, what did that mean lol? At the end of the movie it said “SAO will return”
Sep 19, 2020 5:39 PM

May 2019
The question in this topic is more nonsense than the last episode.

Why to hate science, space airplanes and tech?

- What i disliked in fact:

That it was introduced just in the last scenes in a random way.

The "allmighty Kirito gang from outer space", fighting space nemesis with asspulled sword skills.

How that was out of tone for an end of a 23 episodes arc (or 47 if you consider both Alicization and WoU)

The absense of explanations for many plot details.

Eugeo "spirit/memory figure sentimental appeal" coming back for the 1218923847 time.

For the DogSake, i just wanted to Eugeo be exorcized once and for all!

- So, NO, the space airplanes itself was the coolest thing we see in SAO since a long time, sadly for the rest of the material in this show.
Sep 19, 2020 6:38 PM

Jan 2009
Rob7 said:
The question in this topic is more nonsense than the last episode.

Why to hate science, space airplanes and tech?

- What i disliked in fact:

That it was introduced just in the last scenes in a random way.

The "allmighty Kirito gang from outer space", fighting space nemesis with asspulled sword skills.

How that was out of tone for an end of a 23 episodes arc (or 47 if you consider both Alicization and WoU)

The absense of explanations for many plot details.

Eugeo "spirit/memory figure sentimental appeal" coming back for the 1218923847 time.

For the DogSake, i just wanted to Eugeo be exorcized once and for all!

- So, NO, the space airplanes itself was the coolest thing we see in SAO since a long time, sadly for the rest of the material in this show.

we are in the last episode though so its just standard Snowball Effect on cartoons like anime https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowball_effect
Sep 19, 2020 6:48 PM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
I don't see the hate. It's a virtual game. They been through fantasy, then to what already KNOWN as GUN GALE ONLINE.

This is nothing new to SAO. It eventually will get there if you look at the overall series.
Sep 19, 2020 8:59 PM

Jul 2017
The space ending was shit.

Darling in the Franxx flashbacks here. It was just a tie in to the next part of the series, but it was random as hell to be stuffed in the last half of the last episode.

I am not against sci-fi stuff, just the way it was shoehorned into the episode. Randomly teleport in front of a giant space monster, free breathing in space, blast the hell out of the monster with magic sword cannons, two fighter pilots are descendants of Ronie and Tiese, conveniently.

And nevermind the fact that the series just ignores the glaring problem with the Asuna/Kirito/Alice trifecta LOL.
Sep 19, 2020 10:28 PM

Jan 2009
Maenads said:

Darling in the Franxx flashbacks here. It was just a tie in to the next part of the series, but it was random as hell to be stuffed in the last half of the last episode.

I am not against sci-fi stuff, just the way it was shoehorned into the episode. Randomly teleport in front of a giant space monster, free breathing in space, blast the hell out of the monster with magic sword cannons, two fighter pilots are descendants of Ronie and Tiese, conveniently.

And nevermind the fact that the series just ignores the glaring problem with the Asuna/Kirito/Alice trifecta LOL.

snowball effect man snowball effect its a cliche in animation

but ye not every director can execute it well besides maybe Trigger Studio especially Imaishi that loves space endings

btw Darling in the FranXX was not directed by Imaishi so to me thats why it failed lol
Sep 19, 2020 10:33 PM
Sep 2013
Maenads said:

why tho? It was explained really well in the novel at volume 18 (right after Alicization finished), and that's how it originally written in the ending of volume 17 so I dont see any reason to change it
Sep 19, 2020 10:49 PM

Jul 2017
deg said:
Maenads said:

snowball effect man snowball effect its a cliche in animation

but ye not every director can execute it well besides maybe Trigger Studio especially Imaishi that loves space endings

btw Darling in the FranXX was not directed by Imaishi so to me thats why it failed lol

I read that Franxx production team had the story massively changed three times while the show was airing, so there is also that part.

Yeah it is the snowball effect, but it is really bad when series abruptly abandon all the constraints and the setting that had been laid out thoughout the show, and especially in the last episode.

@hahailham1

LNs with regular release schedules don't follow the same rules as TV series with defined and separated seasons. Most people that watch anime don't read the LN and would prefer that the anime is functional as a standalone experience.

The space scene would have worked well as a post credits scene, but as the final climax of the 52 episode Alicization series, it was ridiculously out of place.
Sep 19, 2020 10:59 PM

Nov 2016
Yes of course I really don't like "future technology" fights in general. If somebody using technology they don't need to train to be strong just use somebody's else invented technology and click buttons (maybe some basic how to do guide for half year) but when you want to fight with sword/ use magic you have to train whole life to be good. But good it ended here because my overall rating of SAO would degrade if it continued as scifi/spaceships world game, good they going to adapt progressive instead.
Sep 20, 2020 11:45 AM

Mar 2017
I actually thought it was a great idea but what I'm disappointed by is that it'll never be explored. Nearly every VR in SAO is some form of 'knights, magic, ye olde' stuff yet here was something different... but that's the end of the arc so it'll go to waste.

Would've been nice to see another arc in the Underworld and had more of a sci-fi VR experience because it's something new for the series.
Sep 20, 2020 11:47 AM

Jan 2009
katie_potaty said:

Would've been nice to see another arc in the Underworld and had more of a sci-fi VR experience because it's something new for the series.

this was the premise of Unital Ring the latest novels of SAO

The premise is: All the games from the Seed network has been merged into a single world and all the players have been reduced to level 1. No one knows how, what, when and why.

>all games

Sep 20, 2020 11:51 AM

Mar 2017
deg said:
katie_potaty said:

>all games

Are you serious?! That sounds so amazing! I really hope that get adapted into an anime 🤩
Sep 20, 2020 11:52 AM

Jan 2009
katie_potaty said:
deg said:

>all games

Are you serious?! That sounds so amazing! I really hope that get adapted into an anime 🤩

it will maybe in 4 years lol since only 3 volumes are out so far for Unital Ring they say
Sep 20, 2020 1:02 PM

Oct 2016
Even if in another topic I defended the plausibility of scientific and technological advancement, I actually hated they had to move in the same direction as popular fiction. With magic and all that, they should've taken a different route to outer space, something more original. So boring to see always the same implausible shapes for spaceships and fighters.
Sep 20, 2020 3:51 PM
Mar 2014
Loved it, beautiful ending.

Just not sure how these 2 girls in the ship managed to live over 200+ years and still look so young.
Sep 20, 2020 6:41 PM

Sep 2014
AllGamer said:
Loved it, beautiful ending.

Just not sure how these 2 girls in the ship managed to live over 200+ years and still look so young.

They're descendants of Tiese, and Ronie. To answer another question that will probably come up, the reason they somewhat knew Kirito etc, would be that the whole world is based on memories. Tiese, and Ronie basically passed down their memories. The pilots would of known about Star King Kirito and Asuna regardless since they only left the world 30 years ago.
Sep 20, 2020 6:55 PM

Jul 2017
They pulled some Darling in the Franxx shit but in half an episode nani
Sep 20, 2020 7:35 PM

Jan 2019
looks like we getting "Moon Cradle/Unital Ring arc" anime adaptation soon, either its goin ova or movie entirely
Sep 20, 2020 10:56 PM
Aug 2020
The ending was op but if they finally reached the point of creating a new Arc then I did not understand why they decided to end the season there

The arc may continue after the OVA of progressive

#bringbackSAO
Sep 21, 2020 3:56 AM

Jul 2016
deg said:

Mod Edit: Modified title for clarity and/or easier searching.
They didn't want to reset Underworld, actually they don't have access anymore, the japan gov't seized the whole project. I don't think they will reset Underworld while Kirito and Asuna is inside of it xD even the staffs now aims to protect Underworld. Kirito and Asuna came from real world which is a modern setting, so it the reason Underworld developed into Space exploration era.

Rath goal is already achieved, Kikouka concluded back in episode10 that they have perfected the AI they want, it's just now they don't have full access anymore with the project, though Kikouka is head over heels with this AI project, so he will come back for sure. Technology advancement is the core of SAO, from VR headset to Soul-manipulating Machine, technological advancement is not only in Real World of SAO, but also in the VIrtual World. Professor Shigemura really had produced dangerous students, Higa just like Kayaba is fueled by their curiosity and instincts developing the VR technology further, and now Higa's collaborating with Kirito-copy to protect Underworld at all cost.
cronoSpirASep 21, 2020 4:06 AM
Sep 21, 2020 4:19 AM
Sep 2020
i just wanted to see alice reunited with selka is that too much to ask for
Sep 21, 2020 5:58 AM

Apr 2019
I loved that ending, it brings a great sense of nostalgia. Certainly alicization is the best part of SAO for me, I will miss you, now just wait for Progressive, I hope it will be just as good.
Sep 21, 2020 6:21 AM

Mar 2017
deg said:
katie_potaty said:

it will maybe in 4 years lol since only 3 volumes are out so far for Unital Ring they say

I can wait for Years... I mean us Otaku are pros at waiting for things haha
Sep 21, 2020 10:37 AM

Aug 2017
I liked the ending. Weird fighting in space but it's fine.
Sep 22, 2020 6:05 PM
May 2011
i wanted to see more of 200 year old kirito

does he appear in the later LNs? And do we get to see what happens during that time?
Sep 22, 2020 6:33 PM

Jul 2016
Tylerr said:
i wanted to see more of 200 year old kirito

does he appear in the later LNs? And do we get to see what happens during that time?
it has a side story called Moon Cradle its consists of two books(volume 19 and 20) about their life in underworld in 200 years but it ends on a cliffhanger. But the author plan to delve when the main series is concluded, because the main series is in the final arc.

Sep 22, 2020 7:40 PM

Sep 2011
My brain hurts from this. Everything about the last three episodes felt unnecessarily dragged out and the random scifi dropped at the end with no explanation was terribad.
Sep 23, 2020 10:58 AM

Dec 2019
I need HELP!

Can someone please help me understand if there's going to be released an next season?
I'm not talking about SAO Progressive, since it seems that this isn't going to be an sequencial season for the Alicization seasons.

When do you think that this sequence will be released?

A quick question for the manga readers: Does the story continue or this is the end of the Alicizarion seasons?
Click here to see My Tampermonkey Scripts For MAL

If you like my work, please consider supporting it!
https://www.patreon.com/hacker09

Sep 24, 2020 7:30 PM
Dec 2014
Red_Ranger_Wien said:
My brain hurts from this. Everything about the last three episodes felt unnecessarily dragged out and the random scifi dropped at the end with no explanation was terribad.

Honestly, from the moment Higa figured out how to bring back Kirito to the final episode, it really was unnecessarily dragged out. Every episode ending with a forced cliffhanger while Asuna and co screamed Kirito's name was frustrating, and if the series had been ended with them instead returning to the cave, it would have been a fine way to cap the entire thing as a whole. Instead, we're gonna get sixty more seasons of harem bullshit, Kirito, Gurren Lagann rip-offs, Kirito, Alice probably going edgelord, Kirito, evil Kirito, Kirito, and the world being saved by Kirito. And Kirito.

Reki needs to be stopped.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Best SAO girl?

Kazu-chan-san - Mar 20, 2023

15 by ItsAziz »»
Apr 7, 4:06 AM

» Question about Alice

quietkun27 - Mar 24

15 by Superninjaboy2 »»
Mar 25, 1:04 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Sep 19, 2020

320 by Anayan_Kashyap »»
Jan 15, 7:46 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld 2nd Season Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kaiseki - Aug 8, 2020

209 by razisgosu »»
Jan 13, 9:22 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld 2nd Season Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Sep 5, 2020

154 by White_Alice »»
Jan 12, 11:44 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.