Forum Settings
Forums
Persona 3
Available on Manga Store
New
Aug 21, 2020 4:38 AM

Aug 2020
I've been group-binging a lot of anime recently and it's given me the chance to rewatch a ton of shows and introduce them to my friends. Earlier today I was revisiting some cutscenes from Persona 3 and got reminded these movies exist. It got me thinking: would it be a good idea to show them to people who haven't played the game before?

Normally I wouldn't consider this, but I know for a fact that one of them wouldn't be able to experience the story of Persona 3 any other way. He dislikes JRPGs (most games in general really), is involved in some time-consuming hobbies, and the amount of freetime he has is slowly starting to shrink further and further. With all this in mind, it's difficult to imagine him booting up an emulator to play a game spanning 80+ hours in length. As a big fan of the game though, I feel like it's a story he'd enjoy a lot, especially given its existentialist themes and its similarities to Evangelion (both of which I feel would be interesting to discuss with him). So you see the dilemma.

All that said, are the movies good... and more importantly, are they good for people unfamiliar with the series? I know he'd be missing out on vital parts like social links and the Answer (fight me), but if it's solid enough as an adaptation then I might try to convince him to check them out with me. I've already brought it up to the group, I just don't wanna push it and then find out it's completely unfaithful or only works as supplemental material.
ⁱˢ ᵗʰᵉ ᵒʳᵈᵉʳ ᵃ ᴾⁱᵉʳʳᵒᵗ?

Aug 30, 2020 1:01 AM
Feb 2020
So I’m gonna reply cause a friend of mine just showed this to me blind cause we do a book club like thing with anime and I have not experienced the games. I also watched it alongside two other people who had even less knowledge of the games than I did. Amongst those of us who have never played the games before we all unanimously didn’t like the film. With what limited knowledge I have of the game a lot of what was cut out was school segments and stuff that might break up lore exposition. Alongside that it removes agency from the main character since the player no longer has control over them or their actions. It led to all of us being confused in a bad way by the end and most of the characters seemed 1 dimensional more likely due to the removal of scenes that would help their characterization. I imagine this movie is a wonderful piece of fan service for fans of the game and without having played the game myself I cannot compare how it stacks up to other media that exists like that. But the seeming direct adherence to the game and removal of many aspects from the game makes it a really bad place to start people on in the franchise I imagine. The movie is no substitute for playing the game itself I’m afraid.
Jun 3, 2021 6:06 PM
Dec 2017
no because if you really wanna enjoy a adaptation of a game you most likely have to play the original of itself.

Jul 31, 2021 2:06 PM
Jul 2020
as for me who doesn't play games at all, it was a pretty good movie to watch. the plot seemed kinda off in some moments but overall I was engrossed in it
Jul 31, 2021 2:34 PM

Jun 2016
No, after seeing them I believe they were made for fans of the game. They are good looking, they have nice fights and they include all the iconic scenes but they miss some important contextual information that make certain parts hard to understand for those who haven't played the game.
They're kinda like the fate/stay night adaptations in the sense that they work best as companions to the source material by giving the most iconic moments the visuals they deserve.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Aug 3, 2021 1:38 AM

Sep 2010
Yes, absolutely. No need to grind through 50+ hours of just the beginning of the game. Everything you need to understand and enjoy the movie is right here. And if it's not, then it means it's in the next movie.

There is such thing as shit taste. Only idiots think that every "work of art" should have the same value.

Persona anime are good. Deal with it.
Oct 4, 2021 8:04 PM
Jul 2021
I mean I enjoyed the Movie without playing P3. But I can't really say if non Persona players would like this since I have played P4 and P4Golden
Feb 10, 2022 12:05 AM

Sep 2020
useless, play the game instead

More topics from this board

Poll: » YOUR ideal MC pairing

SophiafrmAustria - Oct 23, 2013

23 by inebriated »»
Feb 27, 2:06 AM

Poll: » Persona 3 the Movie 1: Spring of Birth Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Sebastian333 - Jan 30, 2014

132 by Ashhk »»
Oct 26, 2023 1:36 AM

» Should this be watched first in Persona genre?

Tarable - Apr 14, 2018

2 by removed-user »»
Apr 14, 2019 11:53 AM

» Little Help Please

AccountDeleted12 - Oct 15, 2015

3 by ExplodingGirl »»
Apr 10, 2017 12:22 AM

» Persona anime order to watch

luisdwt - Mar 5, 2017

3 by Brandon »»
Mar 6, 2017 3:00 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.